Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is anyone else having problems with the audio on xbox one? While playing the game there are loud high pitched noises that are almost always heard when playing the game. Like when you use a computer the noise it makes screeches and it completely rapes my ears, even when I turn down the sound it can still be heard above all else. I can't play the game for more than 20 mins without having to get off.

It also happens every time a soldier shoots. It sounds like a pikachu sound on pokemon red turned to the max.
    Last edited by Mustardisbad; 2016-05-20 at 04:27 PM.

Tbh I now think gave up on the game a bit too early; I put in another hour and a half last night and the game got a lot more fun with a couple new weapons and upgrades, even though it basically stayed much the same. So much so that I look forward to launching the game again tonight when I get home; here's to hoping it doesn't get stale again before the end.

As to my earlier experiences with Id games, I confess I never played the single player campaigns much (I think I gave up on Doom3 halfway through or so). I did play the shit out of Doom2 multiplayer back in the LAN party days though (we used to have multiple "first to 500 kills" rounds with very short breaks), so I did have some nostalgia "bonus" going in.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I like a lot from Doom is that it's throwing you right in and keeps the tempo.
    I've quit so many (good!) games after an hour where they where still building up the game. Tutorials all over. "Press Right Mouse button to aim, practice that on 10 enemies!", "This is a key, look how it opens this door!". That's boring to me.

Doom is intro screen -> ready, set, action! pew pew pew pew, run run, pew pew pew pew.
    That really helped me stay in the game for sure.

Also, like others mentioned, I really hope they'll give Quake another shot if Doom is a success. Quake 4 sure was a bit more fast paced than Doom 3 yet could be just as much a rollercoaster ride as Doom 2016 is now.
    Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”

So apparently turning triple buffering on fixes the issue of the frame rate dropping from 60 fps to 30 fps at the drop of the hat so it's more stable now. Wish I knew that sooner lol.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    So apparently turning triple buffering on fixes the issue of the frame rate dropping from 60 fps to 30 fps at the drop of the hat so it's more stable now. Wish I knew that sooner lol.
    I might check that out. I was having some RAM issues (took ~7.4 of total 8GB while running Doom), which occasionally made the game run quite badly, but I've upgraded now and most of the time everything is fine, but very rarely it suddenly dips for unclear reason.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2016-05-21 at 09:00 AM.

Finally picked up DOOM and I am quite enjoying it even the Multiplayer.

Can't wait to play with Snapmap.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I've liked the look of the new DOOM so far...but the Australian price gouging (At least on Steam, I've not done a conversion of the price we pay for retail boxed copies versus US retail boxed copies...probably still more. We ALWAYS pay more, it sucks) has put me off buying the game, as it seems to be price much higher for us than it was for Americans.

So I'm waiting until it gets a sale on Steam and becomes a reasonable price. Probably no one else will be playing by then but...I don't care about multiplayer (Aand according to Lazy Game Reviews the multiplayer wasn't even by ID themselves!) so that wouldn't bother me at all.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    I might check that out. I was having some RAM issues (took ~7.4 of total 8GB while running Doom), which occasionally made the game run quite badly, but I've upgraded now and most of the time everything is fine, but very rarely it suddenly dips for clear reason.
    I can't imagine why people still run less than 16GB of RAM. I have 32. Why run the bare minimum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I can't imagine why people still run less than 16GB of RAM. I have 32. Why run the bare minimum?
    Why run 32? I've kept an eye on on my system for the past few weeks, because originally I planned a whole system upgrade specifically for Doom. I might still upgrade my GFX card, but my CPU and Disks are barely challenged. The only thing that desperately needed upgrading, was my RAM. Now there's three games that have been pushing my RAM lately and that's Skyrim(Modded), FO4(Modded) and DOOM.

But It's a long way from requiring 32GB. I get the bragging rights, but when it floats at 8GB currently and might maybe top 9GB in the near future (unless I run a shitload of other applications of course), why would I upgrade to 32? Same thing with 4K resolution. Same thing with buying a Titan instead of an average card. You need special, I need decent functionality. My i7-2600K CPU is now ~4, maybe 5 years old, runs at excellent core temperature and hasn't failed me once in that period. Stress is still below 40% at all times and most of the time around 25%.

Fact is, most games do not require 8GB of RAM. The other fact is, that I have been saying to myself, "you should upgrade your RAM soon" for the better of a year now. Yeah, I'm lazy. It's cool. Even DOOM ran fine mostly. Now it runs great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Why run 32? I've kept an eye on on my system for the past few weeks, because originally I planned a whole system upgrade specifically for Doom. I might still upgrade my GFX card, but my CPU and Disks are barely challenged. The only thing that desperately needed upgrading, was my RAM. Now there's three games that have been pushing my RAM lately and that's Skyrim(Modded), FO4(Modded) and DOOM.

But It's a long way from requiring 32GB. I get the bragging rights, but when it floats at 8GB currently and might maybe top 9GB in the near future (unless I run a shitload of other applications of course), why would I upgrade to 32? Same thing with 4K resolution. Same thing with buying a Titan instead of an average card. You need special, I need decent functionality. My i7-2600K CPU is now ~4, maybe 5 years old, runs at excellent core temperature and hasn't failed me once in that period. Stress is still below 40% at all times and most of the time around 25%.

Fact is, most games do not require 8GB of RAM. The other fact is, that I have been saying to myself, "you should upgrade your RAM soon" for the better of a year now. Yeah, I'm lazy. It's cool. Even DOOM ran fine mostly. Now it runs great.
    Heh...only reason I have 32 is because when I was upgrading this system, I found a set of 32 that was about the price of 16, it was on sale. Otherwise, I'd have 16.

I really feel like 16 is the bare minimum now a days. Especially if you're a gamer. It's one of those things people typically don't think about updating, because honestly RAM tech doesn't seem to really be advancing as fast as CPUs. But having ENOUGH of it, whether or not it's top of the line, is always important.

Considering you can get 16GB for about what 8GB used to cost (or less even), I see no reason not to. But with operating systems wanting more, and games wanting more, especially if you're doing texture modding on, say, Fallout 4, you're gonna want as much RAM as you can throw at it.

GPUs are a different story. It isn't so much a 1 or 0 like RAM is. Some people can get by with a lower video card that lets them run games at lower settings, some people need that cutting edge titan like you mentioned. I tend to fall somewhere in between. I'm running a 770, I saw no reason to spend the extra couple of hundred on a 790. I'll get the 1070 when it comes out, not the 1080, because the increase in performance vs the price isn't anything I'd need to worry about for quite some time. My 770 lets me play most games on Ultra (or a mix between high and ultra) and still crank out 50+ FPS. And speaking of RAM, my GPU has 4GB, not 2.

And CPU, I'm running an i5 3570k at stock. Haven't felt the need to OC yet. Still works like a champ, several years old like yours :-)
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Fair enough, agreed. 8G hasn't been enough for a while now, but I've just been slacking on the purchase. It's not really a money thing :P

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

I'm still trying to figure out why my triggers broke in Snapmap....

Made it so when you open door A enemies will appear. Then later on in the map open another door (or kill an enemy) and enemies appear in that room.

The two trigger events are in no way connected or reliant on one another....yet suddenly the Door A event stopped working. It wasn't connected to an integer or anything, just simply OPEN DOOR -> UNHIDE DEMON.

It worked fine at first, then subsequent playthroughs without changing anything on the map caused it to act different. Sometimes they would show, sometimes one would show....sometimes 5 would show but the 6th would take a bit to show....it's wonky. I think it's a bug but not certain.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

http://i.imgur.com/GKGEgp2.jpg This is a not so nice bug
    Not sure if I still like the game as much as the first 2 hours. First I get a corrupt save file because the game crashed and now I again have to start over because of another bug.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    Doom 3 was far from a turd.

But it was far from perfect. It was a decent horror-shooter and still better than a lot of other shooters at the time (and it also set the bar for graphics when it came out).

This DooM is.....well it's DooM. There is no other way to explain it other than it is DooM. Everything you expect from DooM is in DooM.
    Doom 3 was a turd in comparison to its predecessors. Pretty hard to live up to that history though. Doom 3 was also a very mediocre game in comparison to other games of the time, both in terms of its visuals and it's gameplay. New Doom seems to harken back to the original games more in its pacing while also offering up some very nice graphics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Hopps View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/GKGEgp2.jpg This is a not so nice bug
    Not sure if I still like the game as much as the first 2 hours. First I get a corrupt save file because the game crashed and now I again have to start over because of another bug.
    That message usually means, as it mentions, that you've turned dev mode on.

Finally beat this game. Wow. That final fight was intense! Also, poor Sean Bean. Dude dies in shit that he's not even in!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Doom 3 was a turd in comparison to its predecessors. Pretty hard to live up to that history though. Doom 3 was also a very mediocre game in comparison to other games of the time, both in terms of its visuals and it's gameplay. New Doom seems to harken back to the original games more in its pacing while also offering up some very nice graphics.
    Agreed, that's why I get the feeling that this Doom is a sequel to Doom 2, not 3 lol. Or at least, the events mentioned are ambiguous enough that we can pretend :-)

If only I would know what dev mode even is or how to enable it. I randomly got it when trying to play today.

For the rest the game is nice. Great visuals, good level design, love the classic levels. Just don't like having to restart the game when it's not by choice.

- - - Updated - - -

And it happened again. When I restart the game I get hit by this silly bug -_-

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually ran into the dev mode issue just now.

On my previous game, I DID use god mode (though never enabled it again, the game was too easy), but I deleted the save from the menu and started a new one. As soon as I was about to get an achievement, I got informed that, in this new unrelated game, I was in DEV mode.

Apparently the fix is to go to C:/Users/YOURPROFILENAME/Saved Games/id Software/DOOM/base and delete the savegame folder. You'll have to start over again, but it should get rid of it. I just deleted the folder, but I haven't gone in-game yet to see if it worked.

Another option I saw was to turn off Cloud syncing with Doom, but mine was never on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

The biggest problem I have with DOOM is that I don't think I will even get to Snapmap because I enjoy the multiplayer so much and, unlike other shooters, I also enjoy the single player a lot and I am not even half way yet.
    Once I am finally done with the single player (although there are still all the secrets and higher difficulties...) and I am getting sick of the multiplayer I can go and create a map. And by that time I will have a shit ton of maps/modes to enjoy all created by the community. Plenty of content for everyone unless you don't like slaying demons from hell by blowing them up or kicking in their skulls/smacking them with their limbs... then you got nothing to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Makaran View Post
    Don't bother, dude, this thread is swarming with hipsters who enjoy a very simple, no story, no plot game, which is exactly and the same as a very old incarnation of itself from 23 years ago.
    Yes, it's definitely not swarming with dumbasses who bought DOOM thinking it would have a different story or plot.

Anyone who thinks this game isn't good clearly doesn't know what a good game looks like. Maybe it's not your taste but then you are just stupid for buying it without thinking first.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/05/...n-development/

"ID Job Listing Possibly Hints that a Quake Title Could Be in Development"

A new job listing at iD Software suggests that a new Quake title could be in development. The job listing reads as follows.

“id Software is looking for a Senior Physics & Simulation Programmer to work as part of a development team on legendary id game properties like DOOM and QUAKE, developing physics and simulation technology for the game industry’s most advanced engine technology. This position requires engaging in a proactive, high energy development environment on our core technology team.”

The other job listings on the website do not include the line “work as part of a development team on legendary id game properties like DOOM and QUAKE“. So could we getting a new Quake game soon? With the recent success of a modern Doom game, we could just be in store for some more gory, classic shooter fun.

Source: Gamnesia via NeoGAF
    A followup on Quake 4 in the style of 2016 Doom? Yes please!
    Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”

10+ Year Old Account
    On the verge of buying Doom right now, without waiting for the price drop... I've seen quite a few online offers much cheaper than Steam one, down to $30 for the game. Do I understand it right that, buying a non-Steam version, I lose SnapMap and Multiplayer and only am able to play the campaign? Can I play custom-made maps still?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.