Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post

Also of note is the fact that the NRA was originally, for most of its' first 100 years, strictly a sport hunting organization. An NRA "fact book" published in 1975 stated that the Second Amendment was "of limited practical utility" for ordinary gun control debates. The NRA then discovered they could greatly grow their membership by changing stances on everything they had previously stood for, simply by catering to gun advocates.

The simple fact is, the only reason guns have not been banned is due to the political shenanigans of the GOP and the NRA.

- - - Updated - - -

Because one can't simply drive outside those cities to purchase a gun, right? Guns would have to be abolished nation-wide, in order for it to work.
    Your first fact is only partially correct. It was founded primarily to help increase marksmanship with a rifle since so many people were such bad shots. During which they held practice, safety and competition events. So it was not strictly a sport hunting organization. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...le_Association " Founded to advance rifle marksmanship, the modern NRA continues to teach firearm competency and safety."

Your second fact is not correct. There has never been a strong movement in this country which passed thru congress to ban all firearms ownership by private citizens. In over 200 years. :P In the 1930's the FBI proposed that all firearms held by private citizens should be registered. Yet dropped the proposal shortly afterwards because it was not realistically enforceable. You are correct that today the NRA and the GOP have been strong supporters of the right of the citizens to keep and bear arms.

Guns are not going to be a nation wide ban here in the US. You can wish, pray and dream it will be, but the odds are strongly against you. More gun control is possible however. Which is why the NRA is a watch dog for those who feel the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2016-05-22 at 03:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    What's so fucking special about your 2nd amendment anyway? Will the entire counry dissolve if it's gone?
    Yes. It is in the bill of rights for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Your first fact is only partially correct. It was founded primarily to help increase marksmanship with a rifle since so many people were such bad shots. During which they held practice, safety and competition events. So it was not strictly a sport hunting organization. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...le_Association " Founded to advance rifle marksmanship, the modern NRA continues to teach firearm competency and safety."

Your second fact is not correct. There has never been a strong movement in this country which passed thru congress to ban all firearms ownership by private citizens. In over 200 years. :P In the 1930's the FBI proposed that all firearms held by private citizens should be registered. Yet dropped the proposal shortly afterwards because it was not realistically enforceable. You are correct that today the NRA and the GOP have been strong supporters of the right of the citizens to keep and bear arms.

Guns are not going to be a nation wide ban here in the US. You can wish, pray and dream it will be, but the odds are strongly against you. More gun control is possible however. Which is why the NRA is a watch dog for those who feel the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
    Keep telling yourself that. The Supreme Court can change things, but will not do so as long as it is majority GoP. Why do you think the GoP refuses to even consider a nominee? Gun control is the main reason.

The NRA was a sport hunting organization. The target shooting competitions, and the giving away of rifles was for hunting purposes. Their magazine was mostly hunting articles. lol It was not until the 1970s that they changed their stance, and only after the previous leadership was ousted. Please do your research before spouting off rubbish.
    Last edited by Gorgodeus; 2016-05-22 at 05:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep telling yourself that. The Supreme Court can change things, but will not do so as long as it is majority GoP. Why do you think the GoP refuses to even consider a nominee? Gun control is the main reason.

The NRA was a sport hunting organization. The target shooting competitions, and the giving away of rifles was for hunting purposes. Their magazine was mostly hunting articles. lol It was not until the 1970s that they changed their stance, and only after the previous leadership was ousted. Please do your research before spouting off rubbish.
    Like I said, more gun control is possible and for sure who the Judges are in the Supreme Court can a have a large influence on how far that goes. But even the democrats are not calling for a ban on private gun ownership. Very, very few are as radical to the extent of a total ban on firearm ownership. Not even Obama. :P And the GOP has a preference for a conservative nominee for more reasons than just gun control.

I pointed out with evidence the original reason the NRA was founded. You came back with some half truths and yet say I am spouting off rubbish? I am not denying the NRA also supported sport hunting. I was pointing out that was not the original reason for creation of it and not the only reason it existed down thru the over 100 years it has been a organization. Yes, I agree they began to take a more proactive gun rights stance in the 1970's. However please post evidence of your point it was only a sport hunting organization thru out it's existence. Otherwise look in the mirror before you say others post rubbish.

Like I said, more gun control is possible and for sure who the Judges are in the Supreme Court can a have a large influence on how far that goes. But even the democrats are not calling for a ban on private gun ownership. Very, very few are as radical to the extent of a total ban on firearm ownership. Not even Obama. :P And the GOP has a preference for a conservative nominee for more reasons than just gun control.

I pointed out with evidence the original reason the NRA was founded. You came back with some half truths and yet say I am spouting off rubbish? I am not denying the NRA also supported sport hunting. I was pointing out that was not the original reason for creation of it and not the only reason it existed down thru the over 100 years it has been a organization. Yes, I agree they began to take a more proactive gun rights stance in the 1970's. However please post evidence of your point it was only a sport hunting organization thru out it's existence. Otherwise look in the mirror before you say others post rubbish.
    The NRA was founded in 1871. What does the R stand for? Rifle. What were people primarily using rifles for? Hunting.

It is a well-known fact that until the middle 1970s, the NRA mainly focused on sportsmen, hunters and target shooters. Period.

It's original primary goal was to "promote and encourage rifle shooting on a scientific basis."

Now its primary goal is to "protect the right to bear arms".

It is nothing more than a political lobbying group now that focuses on generating money, and money is the reason the organization completely changes their reason for existence.

I use my rifles for hunting.

So whats the argument exactly.

Deleted
    Guess I will have to explain to you, seeing as you are incapable of seeing the politicizing of the Constitution.
    Seeing as how I'm neither an American, or in favour of guns, I doubt you.
    Also nothing of what was quoted actually said what you thought it said.
    "Nothing in the Constitution...forbids the right of federal or state governments to make any gun-control laws they wish in terms of an individual who is not a member of a 'well-regulated militia'
    That statement is patently wrong - The second amendment explicitly states that the federal government cannot restrict gun ownership.
    because that could interfere with the states ability to raise a militia - Even in a painfully literal interpretation that only Militias are a valid reason to own a gun, The federal government were explicitly banned from doing that - That still only permits the states to do away with guns, Not the federal government.
    The sole purpose of the bill of rights, was not to ensure those rights were granted to the people, but to make sure The federal government couldn't do anything about it - Prior to the 14th, The states were free to violate the constitution however much they wanted.
    Also of note is the fact that the NRA was originally, for most of its' first 100 years, strictly a sport hunting organization. An NRA "fact book" published in 1975 stated that the Second Amendment was "of limited practical utility" for ordinary gun control debates. The NRA then discovered they could greatly grow their membership by changing stances on everything they had previously stood for, simply by catering to gun advocates.
    A, That would have been a great link, and B, Its really stupid to malign a source you use in the same sentence.

The simple fact is, the only reason guns have not been banned is due to the political shenanigans of the GOP and the NRA.
    Or the fact that right to own guns is very popular in the US at large?

Quote Originally Posted by Irlking View Post
    Now you are just pulling words out of your ass.
    Why have the US not turned into a dictatorship when most states with similar systems have?
    - Note, i'm not saying that its due to the 2nd amendment.

Yes you did. You have very short memory span so I will quote you "Safer yes, but what would you do if the government decided to go all fascist and dictatorial?"
    Yes, then i End with: As if my government was even fucking capable of doing something like that...
    I was not justifying it, i was explaining the reason for it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    Or the fact that right to own guns is very popular in the US at large?.
    Well he may not be wrong in the sense that US politicians care very little about the will of the people. They simply pander to their own voter base or pander to whatever emotional event is most current.

I don't think something being popular is going to save it. (speaking in general)

They are all corrupt shitlords.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2016-05-22 at 07:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The NRA was founded in 1871. What does the R stand for? Rifle. What were people primarily using rifles for? Hunting.

It is a well-known fact that until the middle 1970s, the NRA mainly focused on sportsmen, hunters and target shooters. Period.

It's original primary goal was to "promote and encourage rifle shooting on a scientific basis."

Now its primary goal is to "protect the right to bear arms".

It is nothing more than a political lobbying group now that focuses on generating money, and money is the reason the organization completely changes their reason for existence.

I agree with what you have posted here with the exception in bold. So now you do agree they were founded for more than just for sport hunting, since you inserted the target shooters in. But at least we have come to some sort of agreement. Progress!

No the simple fact is the reason guns haven't been banned because the right to own one is settled constitutional law
    doesn't have a dam thing to do with the GOP or the NRA but the constitution
    Get over it guns are here to stay it is a settled right same as abortion and gay marriage that liberal tell the ones that oppose those to get over it
    Last edited by Vyxn; 2016-05-22 at 07:43 PM.

An advocacy group supports the candidate they think will best support/carry out their view.
    Or at least not erode further the rights that organization represents.

Insert any Advocacy group,weed,whales,abortion...etc. for interchangeable,"Duh that's what advocacy groups do." moment.

News at 11.
    Last edited by enragedgorilla; 2016-05-22 at 07:45 PM.

[/B]

I agree with what you have posted here with the exception in bold. So now you do agree they were founded for more than just for sport hunting, since you inserted the target shooters in. But at least we have come to some sort of agreement. Progress!
    When a group that formerly held the belief that the Constitution did not guarantee gun rights switches their stance, it for a reason.

When a group has certain officers overthrow their leadership because their headquarters were going to be moved to Colorado to enhance their support of hunting, it is for a reason.

When a group goes from being nothing more than one dedicated to sport shooting, to what is now considered the most powerful lobbying group that is now dedicated to gun rights, it is for a reason.

The NRA is nothing more than a political entity and lobbying group that wants to fatten their wallets.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    No the simple fact is the reason guns haven't been banned because the right to own one is settled constitutional law
    doesn't have a dam thing to do with the GOP or the NRA but the constitution
    Get over it guns are here to stay it is a settled right same as abortion and gay marriage that liberal tell the ones that oppose those to get over it
    Sorry but is it far from settled, when the majority of Americans think gun control laws are needed.

Constitutional law can be changed. Stop trying to act like anything is permanent.

The fact that you don't think the GoP and the NRA have had anything to do with the way SC rulings have gone on the subject, tells me all I need to know about your knowledge of the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Difference between Roe v Wade and a Constitutional Amendment. Nice try doh.
    If you read the post, you would have realized (at least I hope anyone with comprehension skills would) that I was talking about the political tactics the parties use to trick the simple minded. I wasn't actually referring to the validity of either "right." The fact remains that Shrillary repealing the second amendment is as likely as any random pub getting Roe v Wade overturned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post

If you don't turn that delicious wild boar's belly into at least SOME bacon, there's something wrong with you.

Seriously, wild boar bacon is the greatest bacon.

10+ Year Old Account
    When a group that formerly held the belief that the Constitution did not guarantee gun rights switches their stance, it for a reason.

When a group has certain officers overthrow their leadership because their headquarters were going to be moved to Colorado to enhance their support of hunting, it is for a reason.

When a group goes from being nothing more than one dedicated to sport shooting, to what is now considered the most powerful lobbying group that is now dedicated to gun rights, it is for a reason.

The NRA is nothing more than a political entity and lobbying group that wants to fatten their wallets.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry but is it far from settled, when the majority of Americans think gun control laws are needed.

Constitutional law can be changed. Stop trying to act like anything is permanent.

The fact that you don't think the GoP and the NRA have had anything to do with the way SC rulings have gone on the subject, tells me all I need to know about your knowledge of the matter.
    Reason 1. The leadership also feels the 2nd amendment is a important right.
    Reason 2. Some people may have felt there was no need to move.
    Reason 3. See Reason #1 above.
    Na. Your opinion. It serves it's members on some other issues also.

We already have gun control and the % who think we need more changes over the course of years changes depending on the hype the media gives it and the shooting events.
    Over the course of say the last 10 years, it has ran pretty close to 50/50.

True, it is possible to get it amended , yet it is very hard to get a Constitutional amendment done. It is not a matter of even the majority of the population going thru a emotional period supporting said change. But a process which requires a large majority of ether congress and/or the states to ratify.

And make your point without resorting to insults. Makes you look more classy if you do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    If you don't turn that delicious wild boar's belly into at least SOME bacon, there's something wrong with you.

Seriously, wild boar bacon is the greatest bacon.
    I would have been more impressed if he had killed it with just a hunting knife. Nice looking rifle however. And I do like pork.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2016-05-22 at 10:42 PM.

Deleted
    And there they are, the salesmen of blood.. siding with the upcoming tyrant.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really have to say your choice of words of "win" for an NRA endorsement, probably is the right choice for a majority of americans, lol..

Looks like the whole "he's not bought by anyone!" is gonna go down the drain, especially once those super pacs are all set up and ready.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    That statement is patently wrong - The second amendment explicitly states that the federal government cannot restrict gun ownership.
    Sure it can. As an american and not a gun shop owner try and buy a machine gun made after 1986. Go and try and buy a gun if you were ever a felon. Or dishonorably discharged form the military. The "assault gun" of 1994 limited the ability to buy those guns. It was challenged to the SCOTUS and they upheld the ban. The federal government can and does indeed restrict gun ownership.
    What are we gonna do now? Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
    'Cause they're working for the clampdown
    They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
    When we're working for the clampdown
    We will teach our twisted speech To the young believers
    We will train our blue-eyed men To be young believers

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post

Where's my share of the bacon? You know us government types tax a share of everything.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

so after 8+ years of being told Obama was going to take away guns, it was actually Hillary Clinton all along.

what a twist