Thread: Gtx 1080

Page 63 of 103 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Now now, someone might actually fall for that.
    Sometimes I worry about this wonderful community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    The Joke Sniper makes an appearance.
    It's sad but it's true. True Pascal is that thing they're selling to professionals, the GP100.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    It's sad but it's true. True Pascal is that thing they're selling to professionals, the GP100.
    ......../sigh

I'm going to laugh for you. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Now I feel better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Nope, but then I didn't buy my card day 1. I waited until the blocks were available and got one then. Honestly though, I have a hard time believing a custom card will be $130 cheaper than the FE(least I've ever paid for a GPU waterblock).
    Well the question is then will Nvidia keep this absurd price for the Reference Card /cough Founder's Edition /cough /cough card.

10+ Year Old Account
    ......../sigh

I'm going to laugh for you. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Now I feel better.
    Feel free to think whatever you want. I'm not really going to bother explaining things for people who don't want to read and simply want to believe otherwise, instead I'll just copy paste previous posts at this thread that already cover it:

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Well the original was Volta = 16nm, Pascal = 20nm, and Kepler 28nm. Maxwell appeared because 20nm Planar's voltage leak was so bad that it was not suitable for GPUs. Maxwell was slapped in because of that issue.
    Yield.

Possibly, their node transitions have never been great, but it's still kind of boring. We have two distinctly different architectures under the same architecture name. One that's more like Maxwell and one that's well, not. The only difference in the block diagram between Maxwell and GP104 is that in Maxwell it's 4 SMs per cluster/GPC and GP104 is 5 SM per cluster. Granted we don't know what's outside of this but it's very... boring. Kind of like I said before, I wanted to see what "Pascal" as in P100 can do, not Maxwell 3.0. This isn't about whether it's good or bad, cause it's a proven architecture that works but, from someone that likes tech's point of view, it's very boring.

And yes, P100 has HBM as it's memory controller, so it's going to only work with that. It also has Nvlink which is going to have to be axed for consumer use as it's no use and no x86 CPUs can use it anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Literally no Async on board. I don't even want to call this Maxwell 3.0 now. It's more like Maxwell 2.1.

So then, my thinking now, is that Nvidia will release their own equivalent of the Crimson drivers for the Maxwell series in general, this thing included. It'll activate Async at a software level, and some minor gains will be had, but that'll be it. This thing is actually still lacking DX12 features. Nothing's progressed or advanced outside of speed.

1080 analogy:

980 is a Ford Fiesta. Solid and reliable, but not very impressive.

1080 looks like a Ferrari, sounds like a Ferrari and goes the same speed as a Ferrari. However, when you get inside it, it's a fucking Ford Fiesta's interior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Here, this article explains pretty well how nVidia is handling ASync compute.
    http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-...pute-detailed/
    They do not really have ASync Compute still, but are able to dynamically adjust things so devs don't have to guess. So it's still really just software emulation, just better than Maxwell was able to do it due to actually having a scheduler. It's still not the same thing as actually doing 2 things at once though, the way AMD can and already does. They added a scheduler in the 7xxx series and them made further improvements the following generations. nVidia is just now getting a scheduler in and will have to work on improving it in future generations. AMD just has a leg up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Nope, but then I didn't buy my card day 1. I waited until the blocks were available and got one then. Honestly though, I have a hard time believing a custom card will be $130 cheaper than the FE(least I've ever paid for a GPU waterblock).
    Oh have they gone up that much in price? Well maybe not full block then ;P

Feel free to think whatever you want. I'm not really going to bother explaining things for people who don't want to read and simply want to believe otherwise, instead I'll just copy paste previous posts at this thread that already cover it:
    1.....2......3 times 3 times you've shot the joke. Dear god it's dead, I swear it. /cry
    Last edited by Bigvizz; 2016-05-23 at 12:40 AM.

No, it's perfect 1080 means it can run a 1080p monitor.
    thanks for the help.......

Quote Originally Posted by zrvnavi View Post
    Seriously though, look back a few pages in this thread you'll find video reviews, opinions and some written reviews. Also Google is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by zrvnavi View Post
    Yes the 1080 is a huge overkill for 1080p.. Even the 1070 looks like it will be overkill for 1080p.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes the 1080 is a huge overkill for 1080p.. Even the 1070 looks like it will be overkill for 1080p.
    More accurately 1080p@60hz.

For anyone running a 1080p@120-144hz, GTX1070 or 1080 will be solid purchases (provided their CPU/RAM isn't too outdated).
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Would you have done it if that reference 980 was more expensive than a custom card plus a fullcover block?
    I probably wouldn't of. The money you save on a reference card nearly pays for the waterblock. That's long gone, i'd rather just wait for aftermarket cards now. Will end up doing a similar job for less.

Time to find a retailer that sells the "normal" GTX 1080...The one I've trusted dares to price Founder's Edition one for 800 euros

Unfortunately, Saradain, that might be normal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    People bitching are just bitching because they either don't have the know-how or don't even have one to actually test it for themselves! Like that one guy someone linked to earlier in the thread, who specifically stated in his video how he doesn't have a card. Why are we valuing his thoughts so much, then?!
    So we are not allowed to form an opinion based upon all the information out there. Just like the guy did in the video (I assume you mean the AdoredTV vid).
    He did exactly that, even looking at foreign sites. Linking results showing that the 1080 FE cannot hold it's boost speed in a normal system over a longer time period. WHich is something the review sites do not show as they use an open test bench and the benches only run for a couple of minutes. I think his conclusion is that the 1080 is a good card, which will get better with the custom versions. But the FE should be avoided due to cooling issues etc. Pretty much what one would expect from a reference cooler. Because that is what it is... If people think the FE is anything different than a reference design... Well... those people believe the marketing machine a bit to much

I myself think the 1080 FE is just a crap card and should not be bought by anyone. Exception being the people who want to slap a waterblock on it, but I think Galax is releasing a 1080 based on reference PCB with a worse cooler. The custom cooled version will be better, most likely they will hold their speeds properly. And I would also wait to see how those are OCing.
    Last edited by mmoc24391763c2; 2016-05-23 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Unfortunately, Saradain, that might be normal.
    you'll have to wait a bit longer for companies like MSI and Asus to get a hold of them, they'll be cheaper than the founders.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    you'll have to wait a bit longer for companies like MSI and Asus to get a hold of them, they'll be cheaper than the founders.
    I suspect otherwise, frankly. Founder's Edition has a pretty meh cooler. It seems naive to me to expect these other companies to look at nVidia's pricetag and think, "Boy, we need to compete with that." Naw, I expect them to go higher instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    I myself think the 1080 FE is just a crap card and should not be bought by anyone. Exception being the people who want to slap a waterblock on it, but I think Galax is releasing a 1080 based on reference PCB with a worse cooler. The custom cooled version will be better, most likely they will hold their speeds properly. And I would also wait to see how those are OCing.
    Honestly looking at it, waterblock is pointless. A custom PCB with higher power envelope along with better design is what's going to allow for better overclocking / stability. Unless the person wants to slap a waterblock and do absolutely nothing else, which is odd for someone wanting to slap a waterblock on it, the design and 8pin is going to severely limit any OC capability that warrants a waterblock.

So the founders edition is crap and is more expensive than the normal ones? I'd expect the cooler to be at least decent...
    Why buy a founders edition or even the normal one from nvidia when the partner boards will be better?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really. Depends on how and what you like to play. if you plan to mod 200+ skyrim (or Fallout with creation kit), you still can't reach 60 fps everywhere with a 980ti.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Why buy a founders edition or even the normal one from nvidia when the partner boards will be better?
    Why would I know this

The only question remaining is if the partners are going to sell it for less than the fanboy edition or more than it.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2016-05-23 at 11:59 AM.