Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I don't think anyone but a fanatical few are going to tie her death to veganism. What it is going to do though, is make some people say "ha ha" to the snobby attitude many normal dieted humans receive from vegans in their all-knowing gloating of being better than the rest of us.

That's awful; but face it: evolution did its job.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    When your diet is potentially iron restricted (I'm not saying the climbers were, again I'm just saying it's possible for their diet to have contributed, not that it definitely did) then iron could be the limiting factor in the chain that produces red blood cells. So the general idea of eating hemoglobin containing foods to be able to have more hemoglobin is almost right. Like I said. If you don't agree then it just means that we disagree on what the concept of 'almost right' is and not the general concept we're discussing. BTW, it's very possible on a 2 month trip with no access to fresh vegetables and very high iron demands to become iron deficient. Especially if they were in nepal for some time before they even started the 2 month climb. It's a place notorious for b12 deficiency in their food.
    Taking iron supplement, also Diamox and blood tests for hemoglobin and oxygen levels are pretty standard procedures on those trips.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Well... that's sad. Pretty young as well.
    I don't think their diet meant much in here... or did it?
    Doubt it would be any difference.

7+ Year Old Account
    When your diet is potentially iron restricted (I'm not saying the climbers were, again I'm just saying it's possible for their diet to have contributed, not that it definitely did) then iron could be the limiting factor in the chain that produces red blood cells. So the general idea of eating hemoglobin containing foods to be able to have more hemoglobin is almost right. Like I said. If you don't agree then it just means that we disagree on what the concept of 'almost right' is and not the general concept we're discussing. BTW, it's very possible on a 2 month trip with no access to fresh vegetables and very high iron demands to become iron deficient. Especially if they were in nepal for some time before they even started the 2 month climb. It's a place notorious for b12 deficiency in their food.
    Yeah the effect of their diet on their sickness is an interesting question, but I think we agree that it's impossible to draw any conclusion from this case, you can do all the hypothese you want you would need more than one vegan dead on the everest to come to any conclusion on the question.

Also i think it's to easy for people to think that eating more iron or calcium will result in having more hemoglobin or stronger bone (not saying it's not linked), synthesis or absorbtion mechanism are very complexe mechanism where many other factor are present like genetics or amount of other catalyst /chemical is somtime very important.
    Recent study shows for exemple that level of clolesterol in the food you eat as almost no impact on blood cholesterol level, that it's more link to genetics and general diet, something that may looks stange at first sight.

Quote Originally Posted by CMartel View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...r-frostbitten/

Woman trying to prove ‘vegans can do anything’ among four dead on Mount Everest
    By Travis M. Andrews
    May 23 at 8:43 AM
    For Maria Strydom and her husband, Robert Gropel, climbing Everest while adhering to a strict vegan diet was their “own personal Everest.”

The 34-year-old Strydom, a lecturer at Monash Business School in Melbourne, Australia, had a message she wanted to share with the world: Veganism is not a handicap...
    “A very experienced guide in Alaska once told us that of all the things you can regret once you are on the mountain, you will never regret overtraining,” Strydom said before the climb. “It is also important to get experience spending long periods on a mountain.”

Everest, though, proved unscalable for them. The couple reached Camp 4, the final camp, at 3,000 feet below the summit, before both suffered from altitude sickness. It caused fluid to build up in Strydom’s brain, which killed her Saturday. Gropel, alive but fighting a fluid buildup in his lungs, had to be taken down the mountain by sled, the Sydney Morning Herald reported. He was taken to a hospital in Kathmandu, Nepal.

At least the first combat veteran amputee made it 10 years after the 1st amputee.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mount-everest/
    Vegans need to stop murdering plants and tree's just so they can eat. Evil bastards. Vegans and cross-fit people- they should all go up Mount Everest. This out the herd of self absorbed people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalador View Post
    impossible to draw any conclusion from this case
    Please this is the MMO forum no one draws conclusions they jump to them. In this case it's very clear that we need a "no vegans allowed" sign on Everest because one of them died thus proving all vegans are allergic to mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanEX View Post
    I don't think the thread was intended to be an attack on vegans.

Rather that her touting the climb as "proving that vegans can do anything" would be viewed by skeptics and others as proof that she was wrong.
    and dumb to think that just because you don't eat meat that you are some sort of different social class. Vegans do it to themselves by not shutting up about being vegan.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    Pretty sure diet had nothing to do with them dying. Also, I know plenty of Vegans who are in way better shape and stronger than non-Vegans.

Not sure what you are trying to get at OP, but it's silly either way.
    I'm sure you do. Would explain a lot about you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    People who grow up in mountainous regions are just better adapted to function with lower oxygen levels by default though. It has nothing to do with any magical diet or training they have.

Like for example I was born and raised in the red river valley. (750 feet elevation). I remember going to the San Luis valley in Colorado which is 7600 feet in the low areas. It takes a while to become acclimated to even walk around without feeling a little wonky.

The Everest base camp is 17,590 feet. So yeah... The people who live there are at a decided advantage.
    I grew up in San Jose, which is essentially sea level. I once went up Mount Whitney. It took about 5 days for us to approach the mountain (we took the back route), then 1 final day to go up, so we'd had some time to acclimate. I still blacked out twice in the last few hundred meters.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I grew up in San Jose, which is essentially sea level. I once went up Mount Whitney. It took about 5 days for us to approach the mountain (we took the back route), then 1 final day to go up, so we'd had some time to acclimate. I still blacked out twice in the last few hundred meters.
    And you were still like 3000 feet lower than the Everest base camp. So you'd probably need oxygen just to look at Everest let alone climb it, lol.

EDIT: It should also be mentioned in general to the thread that a lot of fuckery happens when breathing canned oxygen as well. Because your urge to breathe is regulated by your lungs CO2 levels. So if you are breathing canned oxygen your CO2 levels will be abnormally low you actually have to consciously plan out your breathing because it's possible to ruin your own shit.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2016-05-24 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Diet affects overall bodyshape. This kind of diet does not fit for very strenous activities. Same with the LCHF-nonsense.

Of course it's not what killed them, but it did give them a disadvantage.
    Most to top Ultra Endurance athletes are Vegan. The top UFC coach is also vegan and recommends for his athletes to eat plant based. The Bikini winner at last years Arnold and top body builder are Vegan. Things are a changing, your mindset should too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe she didn't take oxygen because it wasn't free range, bio degradable, and vegan friendly? Good riddance either way.
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Quote Originally Posted by Xirrohon View Post
    Most to top Ultra Endurance athletes are Vegan. The top UFC coach is also vegan and recommends for his athletes to eat plant based. The Bikini winner at last years Arnold and top body builder are Vegan. Things are a changing, your mindset should too.
    Supplements and Steroids.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbleedinggums View Post
    Maybe she didn't take oxygen because it wasn't free range, bio degradable, and vegan friendly? Good riddance either way.
    She might have not been prepared enough, her diet might have killed her, she might have refused oxygene but I miss where is the good news in the fact that a young woman died trying to climb Everest

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    Aren't there corpses all over Everest that they don't bother to bury/ get rid of?

wonder if they just left her there.
    There are about 120 bodies on Mount Everest. Of them most are above the 26,000ft mark. At that point, you should climb with oxygen and the last 3000 feet takes the average climber 4-6 hours to make. You also cannot spend the night at that altitude as you cannot carry enough oxygen. This means if someone dies at the 28,000 mark or 4 hours into the trek. It's very unlikely they will come down off that mountain. Simply put, someone would have to drag your body for 7-8 hours down the mountain. Risking the fact that they will run out of strength and die there also.

Generally speaking, these climbers make a decision, leave someone that collapses in place and probably live. Or try and save them and probably die. There are cases of climbers walking right by other climbers that have collapsed and are dying. As they know, they cannot save that person.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeebs View Post
    Supplements and Steroids.
    I doubt the endurance athletes are and the UFC fighters are constantly tested. Bikini model? Probably not. Top Body Builder, yea, most likely. But that sport is riddled with steroids. TBH not many take supplements. Thats just a way for them to earn extra cash. Even body builders or athletes that eat a regular diet dont take supplements, its mainly because nobody knows wtf is in them. They want you to believe they take them because of endorsements.

Go watch the documentary on Kai Greene. There are a few scenes where his trainer explains why they dont take supplements. However, you will see Kai endorsing everything from protein powder to vitamins.

Yes, some people are out of shape. That doesn't mean anything though.

You being pretty sure diet had nothing to do with them dying means you make assertions from ignorance. I've already shown in this thread how diet could have had something to do with their dying. I'm not asserting that it did, but it easily could have been a contributing factor.
    And it just as easily could not have been a contributing factor. What is your point.

Also I didn't lump every non-vegan in. Yes I know the vast majority of Americans are out of shape. I was merely giving you a sample of my friends and colleagues.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xires View Post
    I'm sure you do. Would explain a lot about you.
    I don't know what this means. Do I know you? My place of works has many, and I happen to know them. I don't hang out with them much, but we know each other.

Again, did you have a point?

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    So, 4 people died and 1 of them was vegan? Clearly it was her vegan diet that killed her!
    No it was more to the fact that she particularly set out to show that vegans can do it and failed. Regardless of what was the cause, she still failed at what she was trying to prove.

10+ Year Old Account
    Poor diet would effect her ability to survive any type of extreme environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawthorne Wipes View Post
    I dont think changing tofu for venison can save you in the Everest.
    Likewise can be said of changing venison for tofu?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.