Thread: Skinny Shaming

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    People say not nice things to other people a lot. Is that really surprising at all?
    Yes, let's not talk about problems because they are common
    Originally Posted by Vaneras
    Soon™ ;-)
    https://api.lootbox.eu/pc/eu/Xni-230.../signature.png

Aaaand in the year 2016.
    Every human ever, was offended, triggered, oppressed, shamed by/for something/someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

Quote Originally Posted by smegmage View Post
    You missed the part where I accurately said much less prevalent. Cases of things like anorexia are few and far between as compared to obesity, something which effects 1/3rd of all adult Americans. Underweight people do not create hundreds of billions of dollars in tax burden.
    You know what's not "much less prevalent" inactivity... there was a study in Europe with hundreds of thousands that found inactivity killed more people than obesity almost twice as many. A slim inactive person died before fat active people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Valiantly bringing feminism and endless stories about fat women to OT is thankless work, Pendra.
    It is. He wasn't the hero we needed right now, but the hero we deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    I made a huge post about this on a Gym page once. You would be horrified at the amount of beautiful fit Women that get abused and talked down to by landwhales.
    Yeah. It's pretty bad how many people with a completely fine stature are getting called "too skinny" or even "anorexic" by regular people nowadays (the model industry of course is another matter) - or even worse.

Deleted
    Let's shame everyone instead! For equality!

10+ Year Old Account
    I have the privilege of fitting through a doorway, shame me.

Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    I have the privilege of fitting through a doorway, shame me.
    There are absolutely privileges to being slim. Since I've been both very fat and now slim that's pretty clear to me.

I don't believe in ____ shaming.

I mean, some people are dicks. And they're dicks to fat people, or skinny people, or people who work in fast food restaurants.

But to take that attribute they are focused on and then make a new term out of it "fat shaming" "skinny shaming" "working-joe shaming" etc. it to border on implying (well no, it really is implying) that there's some kind of grand conspiracy out there against everybody in that category. It's absurd. It's absolutely absurd.

Like, I went through some shit in the last 5 years. And I'm a 'sorrow eater'. so In the last 5 years I've put on some weight. If somebody tells me "Wow, you look like you've gained a lot of weight in the last 5 years" I take it for what it is. I'm fat and I need to get my weight under control. They made a perfectly legitimate observation. Some people are slobbering morons who feel the need to vocalize every observation they make. "Hurrdurr that guy's wearing a funny hat". but fortunately there's this thing called nuance that lets me know that some people are genuinely concerned about my health.

And the fact is, if I even began to flirt with the 300 lb mark then I would be ashamed of myself. The shame would all be mine.

Life just isn't complete unless you can feign being oppressed in some fashion, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    One out of 10 children in the US suffers from some form of abuse and neglect though which is associated with increased mental health care costs due to trauma/behavioral disorders, developmental delays, physical health care costs etc. Especially due to physical neglect.

https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse-statistics/

Probably more prevalent are various vitamin and mineral deficiencies that are linked to a variety of health issues in both adults and children.

Perhaps not "being underweight" as much, but "being malnourished" can be quite expensive. Which is fascinating since we have a ton of food in the US, but a lot of it is low in nutritional value (particularly convenience foods and foods readily available to the poor).
    Thing is... a lot of OVERWEIGHT people, children notably, are also malnourished due to vitamin deficiencies, etc. Eating high quantities of calories can still leave you very deprived of Vitamin D, calcium, iron, etc, especially when you combine that with sedentary lifestyles that see little outdoor activity (or any activity at all). The point still largely stands: if we were to eliminate either overeating or under eating entirely in America... we'd see vastly bigger drops in medical spending by eliminating overeating. Perfectly healthy weights are commonly still shamed as "anorexic" complete with some silly anecdote with little to no actual knowledge of health, whereas perfectly obese weights are viewed as "average" or "a bit flabby but normal" and so forth.

Obesity is definitely a big problem and carries with it many of the same health risks as starvation minus only those associated with caloric upkeep.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    There are absolutely privileges to being slim. Since I've been both very fat and now slim that's pretty clear to me.
    Privileges to being slim? xD What?

Quote Originally Posted by De thuong View Post
    Something something clothing fits me better

Something something I'm less self conscious

Something something more healthy

Hard to say though given how privilege is thrown around like crazy to shame X when discussing Y... could merely be stating there are benefits to being slim over being really fat, which there are, but that's like saying there are benefits to having a job like having money to pay for things and having a daily purpose... /giggle

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Sounds pretty skinny to me, but I'm 6'5" and 215 sounds like an excellent weight to me.
    What does 215 sounds look like?!

But in all seriousness. Being skinny is 100% cool. It becomes uncool when you eat unhealthy and only take in like 400-500 calories a day. Just be healthy and exercise a bit people! Eat right and have treats occasionally instead of all of the time, you will be in great shape in no time.

I think I'd still be severely underweight to overweight though. It's much easier to come back from being skinny, getting from a larger weight to a normal/healthy weight would be MUCH harder...

Edit: SHAME!!!! SHAME!!!!

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    I made a huge post about this on a Gym page once. You would be horrified at the amount of beautiful fit Women that get abused and talked down to by landwhales.
    Landwhales? lol! First time I seen that term.

I have noticed some very thin contestants on the Naked and Afraid tv series and if they make it to the end of the 21 days, they look like skeletons. But some people are naturally skinny. Best not to make fun of them personally because many factors could be at play. If their doctor feels they are at a good healthy weight, then they do not need to change anything. But there is nothing wrong if a person wants to build up some muscle if they feel like they are the kind getting sand kicked in their face on the beach often. Self esteem is also important.

Deleted
    I've been called small for such a long time I can't even remember, I'm only 176 centimeters tall. I am not even slightly annoyed by it, if you cant shrug it off then its obviously something you think about yourself.

Being skinny does not make you healthy. I'm good in terms of physique but I'm not sleeping enough and probably should follow a diet to make sure I get all the stuff my body needs. In the end I think only a small percentage is living truly healthy and most of us should just mind our own damn business on social media. Posting pictures in barely any clothing will draw a lot of people out though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Landwhales? lol! First time I seen that term.

I have noticed some very thin contestants on the Naked and Afraid tv series and if they make it to the end of the 21 days, they look like skeletons. But some people are naturally skinny. Best not to make fun of them personally because many factors could be at play. If their doctor feels they are at a good healthy weight, then they do not need to change anything. But there is nothing wrong if a person wants to build up some muscle if they feel like they are the kind getting sand kicked in their face on the beach often. Self esteem is also important.
    You're one of today's lucky 10,000!

It's a pretty common term.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by De thuong View Post
    Generally it's how others see you.

Generally it's how others see you.
    Yes, but this is directly proportional to how much you pay attention to such things, which is often heightened when you're specifically self-conscious about your looks. There is no doubt that if you go waltzing down the street, fat or thin, a majority of people will barely acknowledge your existence but your perception of their otherwise innocuous glances changes drastically based upon how YOU personally feel.

As for those that know you more personally, well that's very case by case and again largely a part of your own perception. I said nothing to my coworkers about my losing weight last year and it took almost 45 lbs before anyone said anything or made mention of it, at least that I remember. Perhaps if I was more keen on seeing how'd they'd react I may have noticed something sooner but eh... I wasn't doing it because of them so their perception was entirely irrelevant.

You know what's not "much less prevalent" inactivity... there was a study in Europe with hundreds of thousands that found inactivity killed more people than obesity almost twice as many. A slim inactive person died before fat active people.
    Care to link this supposed study?

Obesity is associated with nearly 1 in 5 US deaths, according to a study published online August 15 in the American Journal of Public Health.
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/809516

Nowhere in the developed world, are people dying of underweight complications on par with overweight ones. You're not finding a study that says this, because it doesn't exist. Being sedentary =/= underweight, nor can you compare deaths due to low activity levels with obesity, and then argue that underweight people die too.

OP im also 130 pounds, 170 CM. I like it! You are slim and fast.

I just try to have enough muscle to be able to do say 30-50 push-ups no cheating and 75-100 situps.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO