Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Has anyone ever ASKED Blizzard if WoW console might happen?

First of all, I think going console would be a terrible idea, and I never thought Blizzard might do it with WoW. But after looking at the greatly accelerated ability prune in Legion, after many, many players have complained about the more limited prune in WoD, I'm really having a hard time thinking of any reason other than a plan to go to console to explain their actions. The other possibility I see is gross incompetence on the part of the development team, and that's certainly possible, but it's hard for me to think that the higher-ups would allow the prune to continue after all the complaints about it, were it not for a plan to go console.

Whether you agree with this or not, it seems strange that, in all the various developer Q&As and Blizzcon panels I've seen, I don't recall anyone ever ASKING a Blizzard employee whether they might ever go console. With legacy servers, at least the question got asked.

Has Blizzard ever said anything about this that I just overlooked?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowset View Post
    First of all, I think going console would be a terrible idea, and I never thought Blizzard might do it with WoW. But after looking at the greatly accelerated ability prune in Legion, after many, many players have complained about the more limited prune in WoD, I'm really having a hard time thinking of any reason other than a plan to go to console to explain their actions. The other possibility I see is gross incompetence on the part of the development team, and that's certainly possible, but it's hard for me to think that the higher-ups would allow the prune to continue after all the complaints about it, were it not for a plan to go console.

Whether you agree with this or not, it seems strange that, in all the various developer Q&As and Blizzcon panels I've seen, I don't recall anyone ever ASKING a Blizzard employee whether they might ever go console. With legacy servers, at least the question got asked.

Has Blizzard ever said anything about this that I just overlooked?
    Yes people have asked that

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Yes people have asked that

/thread
    No, a /thread would be where you link some actual proof of your claim. But that /thread is really cute and original, I'll give you credit for that.

They aren't pruning enough to fit the game onto a controller. Its just not practical.

Deleted
    The ability prune doesn't mean they're going console, it means they're scaling back the massive toolboxes most classes had to return to a design philosophy where classes have blind spots in their toolboxes and need to rely on eachother to complement their strengths and weaknesses.

Also just for the record, having played the beta, I quite like what they did with most of the classes. Unholy DKs in particular feel awesome in Legion.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    I really doubt that blizz will ever port wow to console. it would be wrong. and why they should? everyone has pc... or few, less has consoles.

Deleted
    No, a /thread would be where you link some actual proof of your claim. But that /thread is really cute and original, I'll give you credit for that.
    Why would i search google for you when you are to lazy to do that yourself lol?

Its definately an issue of lazyness or a bait thread

Quote Originally Posted by naimc View Post
    They aren't pruning enough to fit the game onto a controller. Its just not practical.
    FFXIV disagree's.

The amount of abilitys/bars you can have go off with a controller is insane if done right.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Depends on the controller. They may have their eye on a special WoW controller they want to sell.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Why would i search google for you when you are to lazy to do that yourself lol?

Its definately an issue of lazyness or a bait thread
    I did do a google search. Here, let me do it for you:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=wow+console

Oh yeah, you're right- tons of hits right at the top about Blizzard's position on this, after being asked. Oh wait, there's nothing there. Maybe you're just full of it.

I believe they did say there were no plans for it.
    Some people just refuse to see any other reason for it.
    They see the issue through the rather narrow-minded view of less buttons.

Are there actually less buttons if you take into account the artifact and active talent choices ?

Can you argue that specific pruning is bad on a per-ability basis, instead of the stupid view that less is bad simply because it is less.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    FFXIV disagree's.

The amount of abilitys/bars you can have go off with a controller is insane if done right.
    This.

I have as many buttons on AST and WHM in FFXIV as I do my MW in WoW. When Legion launches, I'll have even less. I play keyboard/mouse now but I started FFXIV on PS4 and it plays really well on controller actually. The only clunky thing, in my opinion, is targeting ground aoes which isn't something you do often on any class I've played.

Deleted
    Depends on the controller. They may have their eye on a special WoW controller they want to sell.

- - - Updated - - -

I did do a google search. Here, let me do it for you:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=wow+console

Oh yeah, you're right- tons of hits right at the top about Blizzard's position on this, after being asked. Oh wait, there's nothing there. Maybe you're just full of it.
    You cant say let me google that for you when you are the one asking the question you ragekid :P

Now your question was "has anyone asked them if console port might happen". Not if blizzard answered it.

:/

Yes they have. Here, here, and here.

Let me direct you to this addon. It actually works quite well, especially in legion since tab targeting isn't half bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Djriff View Post
    Yes they have. Here, here, and here.
    Unless I'm missing something, those are discussions among WoW players- not a Blizzard position.

Unless I'm missing something, those are discussions among WoW players- not a Blizzard position.
    One of those is on the wow forums, so in a way is asking blizzard. I don't currently have access to twitter, but I've seen the question asked directly there as well.

here too

thankfully I know how to use a search engine
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    here too

thankfully I know how to use a search engine
    Disregarding the fact that it is a personal opinion of Ghostcrawler, who no longer works there, his response sounds like a "definite maybe" to me:

With Activision and Bungie working on Destiny, which has MMO qualities and is targetting consoles, does this prove MMOs can work on consoles? We ask Blizzard’s lead systems designer Greg Street that very question.

“I would personally be very excited to see that,” says Street, “it would be a huge challenge to take something like World Of Warcraft with its massive hard drive footprint and its reliance on mouse and keyboard, I think if we were going to make a MMO for consoles then we might take it in a different direction.”

Street then added that the Diablo team has been able to bring its strictly PC game over to PS3 and PS4: “If you take a look at what the Diablo team did with their console version, they just had to change some of the very fundamentals of the game to make it work differently.

“It can be done, it would just be a big challenge for a game like WoW.”

- end quote -

It's a far smaller challenge now that they have removed more than half of the abilities since Ghostcrawler made that statement.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleybp View Post
    That's closest, but that's a customer service guy speaking over a year ago.

Deleted
    So basically despite all the evidence we are giving you, you are in denial about them commenting on it. Alright then...

Edit: Plus it may have been from a year ago but that was after warlords was already released, if it was going to happen for Legion they would have announced it by now, its not something they are just going to say 'Oh by the way we are releasing wow on console mid expansion.'
    Last edited by mmoc3a733b74da; 2016-06-06 at 03:46 PM.

I hope it will never ever come to consoles. That would mean they would gut the game enough to fit in.