Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Some people just need a word so they can clump people together and make it easier for them to throw hate at.
    I have to agree with you. It is the perpetuation of the Us vs Them mentality that keeps us all so preoccupied and distracted from more important matters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    I love the idiots that think that people in their 20s want to live at home. We don't. It's the fucking housing market. My wife and I make $125k a year combined and we just bought a house for 300k. It's basically equivalent to what my parents bought for 70k when they were making 40k and they didn't have shit like student loans to worry about. Wage growth hasn't kept up with the increase in cost of living.
    Also very true. When I was at home at 27, I was ashamed of myself. Which is why I decided it was time to pick myself up, and make something of myself. I knew I wasn't going to be rich, but I wanted to at least be able to comfortably support myself, which now at 35, I can. I just wish I didn't waste so much time partying and being lazy and not giving a crap about my future until nearly 30.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

Millennials (also known as the Millennial Generation[1] or Generation Y, abbreviated to Gen Y) are the demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates for when the generation starts and ends; most researchers and commentators use birth years ranging from the early 1980s to around 2000.
    Hmm, either it's changed or it differs by country, it's usually listed as starting in 1977 in information round here as that's when the new baby boom kicked off.

I agree with that. Which still makes me wonder what was wrong with that I said. The previous generation says we are always on our smart phones. But their generation created it, and to add, also abuse it like you stated.

It is stupid for the previous generation to scoff at the current one when then A: Caused it, and B: Participate just as much in it.

You are absolutely right that we need better role models, and better parenting to steer children to look up to worthy role models.

Of course, there are young people who have it right. They look up to engineers, or inventors, or strong political figures (ie: Not the celebrity politicians we seem to see so much of in the media). Those young people who look up to such role models could grow up to be future role models.

- - - Updated - - -

Millennials (also known as the Millennial Generation[1] or Generation Y, abbreviated to Gen Y) are the demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates for when the generation starts and ends; most researchers and commentators use birth years ranging from the early 1980s to around 2000.
    I guess I miss understood you then, my apologies. And yes you're right there are a lot of good apples in this generation, I would often say to babyboomers, I can't wait till my generation takes over and fixes all your mistakes lol

10+ Year Old Account

Color me a hopeless optimist..
    But I wish, and dream of the day when we fucking stop to put all people into drawers and categories.

The generation labeling is one of the dumbest things humans ever invented.
    It would only make sense, if we'd magically procreate in waves.
    Like say, we start now, today for say 2 years we procreate like rabbits.. Then it stops, for 2 decades. Then it starts over.
    Only then, such label would make some sense.
    But that's not how it works. We have births every few seconds.
    You were born in January 1th 00.01am year XYZ.. You're this..
    Had you been born December 31th 11.59 pm, 2 minutes earlier, you'd be given a different label.
    Really nonsensical imo..
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Hmm, either it's changed or it differs by country, it's usually listed as starting in 1977 in information round here as that's when the new baby boom kicked off.
    It is likely safe to assume there will be some over lap since this is exactly a scientific situation. It is a social construct, so results may vary = )

I have to agree with you. It is the perpetuation of the Us vs Them mentality that keeps us all so preoccupied and distracted from more important matters.
    That's the game we've been playing for thousands of years. To say it's ingrained in our psyche is an understatement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I guess I miss understood you then, my apologies. And yes you're right there are a lot of good apples in this generation, I would often say to babyboomers, I can't wait till my generation takes over and fixes all your mistakes lol
    If it helps any, I work for a company that is actually doing good things for the world. lol. Which is actually co-owned by a Boomer, and a Millennial.

So when the sweepers come through, they can, with a good conscience, sweep around my company.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    That's the game we've been playing for thousands of years. To say it's ingrained in our psyche is an understatement.
    Heh, I absolutely agree. The best way to control a group, is to have them focus on their differences, rather than the leadership.

Raging at people younger or older than you is a convenient distraction from the fact that our economy is being systematically looted by an elite group that collects the fruits of our increased productivity and technological achievements while encouraging infighting and blame regarding our problems.
    Beta Club Brosquad

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Color me a hopeless optimist..
    But I wish, and dream of the day when we fucking stop to put all people into drawers and categories.

The generation labeling is one of the dumbest things humans ever invented.
    It would only make sense, if we'd magically procreate in waves.
    Like say, we start now, today for say 2 years we procreate like rabbits.. Then it stops, for 2 decades. Then it starts over.
    Only then, such label would make some sense.
    But that's not how it works. We have births every few seconds.
    You were born in January 1th 00.01am year XYZ.. You're this..
    Had you been born December 31th 11.59 pm, 2 minutes earlier, you'd be given a different label.
    Really nonsensical imo..
    This statement is really just me thinking out loud. Anyone is welcome to hand wave this, or tear it apart if you wish.

In the study of History, we look at large blocks of time as "eras", or "ages" pending on what is being referred to. Generations are just a little tiny blip compared to an era or age.

I sort of feel like we as a people, since we have a hard time looking at the past or the future beyond our personal existence, need some way to feel as though our time spent here has meaning. So we invent these miniature eras or ages, and call them generations. It is more tangible, yet fluid enough to jump in at any point and declare a new generation has begun. Imagine the Stone Age, and the Bronze Age both only lasted 40 years, and there was a tangible moment where someone who grew up only using stone tools would look down on those using bronze as they are just lazy because they use a better tool, and can get more done with less effort in a shorter amount of time.

This is how I feel about Generations, and the opposition from the previous one upon the newer one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    No worries, I am a far better conversationalist in person than via text, which often ends up in me being misunderstood (my fault of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Zylos View Post
    Ahh it appears he did miss a good point. Old men will always creep on the young ladies.
    Oh, most of them aren't ladies. We didn't have this volume of high end sloots when I was that age.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    This statement is really just me thinking out loud. Anyone is welcome to hand wave this, or tear it apart if you wish.

In the study of History, we look at large blocks of time as "eras", or "ages" pending on what is being referred to. Generations are just a little tiny blip compared to an era or age.

I sort of feel like we as a people, since we have a hard time looking at the past or the future beyond our personal existence, need some way to feel as though our time spent here has meaning. So we invent these miniature eras or ages, and call them generations. It is more tangible, yet fluid enough to jump in at any point and declare a new generation has begun. Imagine the Stone Age, and the Bronze Age both only lasted 40 years, and there was a tangible moment where someone who grew up only using stone tools would look down on those using bronze as they are just lazy because they use a better tool, and can get more done with less effort in a shorter amount of time.

This is how I feel about Generations, and the opposition from the previous one upon the newer one.
    Ugh... I think you've just entered the realms of philosophy.
    A very tricky matter online. Especially here on MMO-C. lol

I do like your viewpoint.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Ugh... I think you've just entered the realms of philosophy.
    A very tricky matter online. Especially here on MMO-C. lol

I do like your viewpoint.
    Thanks! Philosophy is something I wish I got to study. Sadly it was not offered in any of my schools which I attended. I always found it incredibly fascinating.

10+ Year Old Account
    But millennials didn't invent the internet..
    Baby boomers did. lol

I too dislike these stupid generation labels, because they're false on so many levels.
    I think they mean that millenials were shaped by the internet rising during their formative years.

I don't mind there being generational labels. There are certainly sociological differences between Baby Boomers, the Silent Generation, Gen X, etc. The problem I have is that I think the Millennials are way too large a set of years for the speed of social change.

Someone like me, born in 1983, is sort of the early personal computer generation. I grew up with computers, most of my friends had the internet at home by high school (I had it in kindergarten, Prodigy Online, baby!), and went through my teenage years during a time of relative world peace and prosperity.

Compare that against someone born near the end of the Millennial cohort, let's say 1998. They'd have been 3 years old when 9/11 occurred, too young for most people to remember. Their whole lives essentially, there has been major war happening in the Middle East and an atmosphere of terrorism fear/paranoia in the country. We've been through some major recessions. Racial tensions have reared their ugly heads in ways that didn't really happen in the 90s. Computers and internet would be an everyday fixture in life before they were even born, and by the time they're 10 years old, kids are starting to bring iPhones to school and generating the new social order on their social networks like Facebook and Twitter. By the time they're in high school and college, they're firmly entrenched in Instagram and Snapchat.

These are massively different social interactions than those I grew up with, where most everything still happened on home phones, if any electronic communications were happening during school, it was with pagers (143), and you were lucky if you could find someone who knew how to AOL instant messenger. I honestly feel closer in generational cohort to people born in 1972 than I do to people born in 1998.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    Fuck Babyboomers
    Fuck Generation X
    Fuck Generation Y
    Fuck Generation "Rage"
    and
    Fuck Millennials.
    Generation Y is the same as Millennials, and I've never heard of "Generation Rage."
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Love how everyone's using "millennials" now. It's the new "SJW".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    24-39 years old.

Millennials are 1977-1992.
    1980-1999 is the typical definition. So that's 17-36 years old now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Greathoudini View Post
    Love how everyone's using "millennials" now. It's the new "SJW".
    Not really. The term millennial has been around a whole hell of a lot longer than SJW. I remember first reading about Millennials in High School. They featured prominently in my college marketing courses. It's been in popular publications for decades now. And it's not really a snarl word, like SJW.

- - - Updated - - -

Some people just need a word so they can clump people together and make it easier for them to throw hate at.
    People don't create these groupings for hating purposes. They're made my marketers for the purposes of understanding market segments better so they know how to sell to those segments.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    Millenials do exist, the rise of the internet and the increase in social media allowing stupid ideas to spread to a larger base of stupid people has given rise to things like Tumblr and safe spaces.
    There are some types of attitude being more commonplace certainly, but it is rather narrow-minded and petty to assume that is purely down to the year someone was born.
    Just another way to try and judge someone with as little information as possible, another trend just as unpleasant as those being criticised.

Ironic in calling someone a "millenial", you are guilty of spreading a stupid idea as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    “The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”

-Socrates
    Exxxxxxcellent!

Thanks! Philosophy is something I wish I got to study. Sadly it was not offered in any of my schools which I attended. I always found it incredibly fascinating.
    Well, keep it up. Philosophy, like science imo free up the mind. I always said when people get out of their own way is when they start to really grow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    Well, keep it up. Philosophy, like science imo free up the mind. I always said when people get out of their own way is when they start to really grow.
    That is a valuable, but sometimes hard lesson to learn. It is best to not be your own obstruction.

That seems to be the TL;DR of the video. Millennials only exist because we decided to stick with the label. I have little doubt that someone born in the 1800s would live with a different mindset than if they were born today, but that's not because we suddenly became different. The environment, society, parental care have all shifted.

As Adam mentioned, maybe if your kid is going by his/her mid-late 20s without much "achievement" probably look at how the parents did raising him/her.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.