Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Think I am done for a while.

I'm not going to knock Blizzard. Everyone has an opinion on what is great or isn't great.

Personally the straw that finally broke the camels back for me was a Hanzo who shot a wall on the opposite side of a large open room and took me from full health to dead with scatter arrow. The problem is, these RNG moments happen a lot to me. (not just isolated to Hanzo).

The game was pretty fun at first, but quickly polish gave way to abrasion and all the little things have started to scrape away at my enjoyment where I'd say 80% of my game time is frustration and 20% is enjoyment. Keep in mind this is merely my personal opinion, if you enjoy OW more power to you, I think I will revisit in a few months after they have had a chance to ponder and possibly change some mechanics.

Couple of other key problems I have with game:

- hit boxes (example: being shot when you are next to a door but not actually visible, there are numerous YT videos clearly demonstrating this)
    - server + client comms and how they are handled (example: being hooked around a corner by Roadhog)
    - lack of custom game browser (I personally find Arcade Brawl awesome)
    - balance passes for all characters

Again, in case it wasn't clear, these are my personal opinions and may not match yours. Hell they may be the exact opposite of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I'm not going to knock Blizzard. Everyone has an opinion on what is great or isn't great.

Personally the straw that finally broke the camels back for me was a Hanzo who shot a wall on the opposite side of a large open room and took me from full health to dead with scatter arrow. The problem is, these RNG moments happen a lot to me. (not just isolated to Hanzo).

The game was pretty fun at first, but quickly polish gave way to abrasion and all the little things have started to scrape away at my enjoyment where I'd say 80% of my game time is frustration and 20% is enjoyment. Keep in mind this is merely my personal opinion, if you enjoy OW more power to you, I think I will revisit in a few months after they have had a chance to ponder and possibly change some mechanics.

Couple of other key problems I have with game:

- hit boxes (example: being shot when you are next to a door but not actually visible, there are numerous YT videos clearly demonstrating this)
    - server + client comms and how they are handled (example: being hooked around a corner by Roadhog)
    - lack of custom game browser (I personally find Arcade Brawl awesome)
    - balance passes for all characters
    YUUUUUUP.

Welcome to the club(can we get signatures like all the beta/non-beta people do?). I called it quits as of today myself. Went back to playing Diablo 3, trying out the seasonal stuff. Only Blizzard game I really feel like playing currently.

I'd add my complaints about the game to this thread but I've left quite the trail of them throughout the forums and feel it'd be rather redundant.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2016-06-07 at 07:17 PM.

Deleted
    When's the last time you played an FPS 5-7 hours a day (which is I'm assuming what you've been spending on Overwatch) for months on end, nonstop? Not really the genre where you need to do that. More like "hey, I feel like FPS today, I think I'll play for an hour", once or twice a week.

Don't know what you thought this was going to be. Some game you dedicate your entire life to 24/7? That'd make no sense in the FPS genre.

I think people have just burnt themselves out by approaching the game completely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    When's the last time you played an FPS 5-7 hours a day (which is I'm assuming what you've been spending on Overwatch) for months on end, nonstop? Not really the genre where you need to do that. More like "hey, I feel like FPS today, I think I'll play for an hour", once or twice a week.

Don't know what you thought this was going to be. Some game you dedicate your entire life to 24/7? That'd make no sense in the FPS genre.
    Er, it's not that uncommon for people to play more competitive titles non-stop and then once done, completely drop out of them in their entirety because once they come back... they're going to be that much behind the curve of skill. Combine that with any underlying frustrations they have with the mechanics/balance of the game itself and it'll make them unlikely to bother again in the first place.

Personally, last time I played an FPS so heavily, was probably Battlefield 4? Don't get me wrong, that game was a piece of shit in its own right but I was able to glean a lot more out of it in the long run despite this. There was a lot more fun, goofy little things to do to make it interesting for myself and then all of the unlocks. Plus I just loved the visuals. My god, on ultra, that game was gooooorgeous and watching the chaos unfold on a modern day cityscape was something else at times.

I think people have just burnt themselves out by approaching the game completely wrong.
    I play OW the same as any other FPS. However OW is the first FPS in recent memory that has been more frustrating than fun.

You're argument only works if I was quitting out of boredom, not frustration.

I am not bored of OW and fully plan to check back in after some patches have occurred. It simply may be this type of game and the game mechanics they wish to pursue don't mesh with me personally. There is no secret agenda in my post.

Deleted
    I play OW the same as any other FPS. However OW is the first FPS in recent memory that has been more frustrating than fun.

You're argument only works if I was quitting out of boredom, not frustration.

I am not bored of OW and fully plan to check back in after some patches have occurred. It simply may be this type of game and the game mechanics they wish to pursue don't mesh with me personally. There is no secret agenda in my post.
    So, basically, you've projected your own wants and wishes unto the game, and have a set way of how shit should be done, rooted deep in your mind, and so instead of just playing the game the way it is, you're getting frustrated because the game you're playing isn't the way you want it to be.

A sign of getting old.

So, basically, you've projected your own wants and wishes unto the game, and have a set way of how shit should be done, rooted deep in your mind, and so instead of just playing the game the way it is, you're getting frustrated because the game you're playing isn't the way you want it to be.

A sign of getting old.
    What the fuck is with people calling dissenters old? That's the second time I've seen this today.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with you on all your points. Especially the server and client side interaction and hero balance. It's atrocious to say the least. However, I'll continue playing Overwatch as it's really the only game for me to play atm. Games are quick and I still enjoy playing with my friends. Logging on WoW once a day to farm the gold from garrison, but until Legion comes out....I'm stuck with OW.

A sign of getting old.
    As I said, clearly, this game and my wants in a game may not mesh. I'm not sure how much more clear I could make it. However feel free to continue with your bait.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    What the fuck is with people calling dissenters old? That's the second time I've seen this today.
    I'm 37. I'm getting old.

I'm 37. I'm getting old.
    So what are you saying then, that he's more like in his 50's because he's too antiquated to be down with the hip kids in Overwatch?

Quote Originally Posted by Vorality View Post
    I agree with you on all your points. Especially the server and client side interaction and hero balance. It's atrocious to say the least. However, I'll continue playing Overwatch as it's really the only game for me to play atm. Games are quick and I still enjoy playing with my friends. Logging on WoW once a day to farm the gold from garrison, but until Legion comes out....I'm stuck with OW.
    I've been back to piddling in WoW again, so I've got something to pass the time as needed.

My next purchase looks to be BF1. (already have Legion for WoW ordered)

10+ Year Old Account

A sign of getting old.
    This is a stupid comment. The wants he stated for the game are things that can be fixed. They're not some deep convoluted thing in his mind. The game is broken - though can still be fun. The broken things can cause a lot of frustration, especially when they can be fixed.

So what are you saying then, that he's more like in his 50's because he's too antiquated to be down with the hip kids in Overwatch?
    Haha I'm 35

Quote Originally Posted by Vorality View Post
    There is no such thing as balance.

Haha I'm 35
    I know you're not that old, being hyperbolic since he's in his late thirties and calling YOU old. I got referenced as being old as well earlier because I'm done with this game and even more so the community at large.

I'm seven years younger than you to boot.

Apparently us old timers just need to fuck off and go rot back on the original Call of Duty while the new generation gets their waifu shooter on.

Haven't played overwatch in a few days. Much more interesting things to do than stomp or be stomped.

Not to mention many other reasons that I can't bother to specify in this reply. I'll probably play some more when/if blizz fixes stuff.

I know I'm just being hyperbolic. I got referenced as being old as well earlier because I'm done with this game and even more so the community at large.

I'm seven years younger than you to boot.

Apparently us old timers just need to fuck off and go rot back on the original Call of Duty while the new generation gets their waifu shooter on.
    Well I admit, each passing year my FPS skills probably degrade further.

Back in my mid teens to early 20's I was pretty competitive in the FPS crowd and fancied myself pretty good. Just can't fight time and aging eyes/reflexes.

Well I admit, each passing year my FPS skills probably degrade further.

Back in my mid teens to early 20's I was pretty competitive in the FPS crowd and fancied myself pretty good. Just can't fight time and aging eyes/reflexes.
    I think it's less that and more like you see the effort required to get back to that point as wasteful and beneath you. I've gotten that way in a lot of respects.

That said, even back in the day, I namely played for fun. If I got good, it was the result of my love for the game. I didn't play UT'04 and CS:S because I wanted to be the next pro no-scope Youtube artist. I liked them and they kept me busy for months on end so in turn, I inherently improved over time.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2016-06-07 at 07:52 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I still play but the honey moon stage of playing several hours a day is over, which is fine.

It will be a game that I approach much like DoTA in the future. Play several hours throughout the week, and call it a day, which honestly is what I think the game is designed for anyways.