Page 35 of 77 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    http://wccftech.com/radeon-rx-480-3d-mark-benchmarks/

This is faster than default GTX 980 performance and similar to mid-level 980 overclocks by comparison, for a point of reference.
    Meh......My results with a 970. Im not impressed with this RX 480.
    Last edited by Bigvizz; 2016-06-09 at 04:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    330 USD launch price against 199 USD. This card isn't the 390 successor.

Deleted
    I got lost abit there when mentioned: "that many gamers would want to run RX 480 SLI".

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    330 USD launch price against 199 USD. This card isn't the 390 successor.
    I'm underwhelmed by it's performance. 1070 it is then I suppose. This card is only an upgrade from a mid tier card like the 380 or 960. Again I say Meh...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    I got lost abit there when mentioned: "that many gamers would want to run RX 480 SLI".
    Yea, that's a bit of a misnomer. lawls

The score is very similar, with a slight edge to the 970, so yeah, it's not that impressive based on comparing performance directly. Being so much cheaper though and achieving that performance is quite impressive. It's around $100 cheaper, for nearly the same performance, and will likely have better performance in DX12 applications as well.

But yeah, if you have a 970, no point in getting one, but if you have a 970, why are you even trying to compare it to such a budget card? That's pretty silly. I wouldn't expect to upgrade a 970 to a 1060 either.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    The score is very similar, with a slight edge to the 970, so yeah, it's not that impressive based on comparing performance directly. Being so much cheaper though and achieving that performance is quite impressive. It's around $100 cheaper, for nearly the same performance, and will likely have better performance in DX12 applications as well.
    Mehhhhh....
    Great, for all those people upgrading from a 960 or a 380.

This card is only an upgrade from a mid tier card like the 380 or 960. Again I say Meh...
    Which is the exact market they've targeted from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Which is the exact market they've targeted from the start.
    The Mehhh.. is for me not having a immediate AMD solution. Again sir I say Mehhh...

- - - Updated - - -

But yeah, if you have a 970, no point in getting one, but if you have a 970, why are you even trying to compare it to such a budget card? That's pretty silly. I wouldn't expect to upgrade a 970 to a 1060 either.
    Because....this was said "980 performance with a mid level OC."

This is faster than default GTX 980 performance and similar to mid-level 980 overclocks by comparison, for a point of reference.

The Mehhh.. is for me not having a immediate AMD solution. Again sir I say Mehhh...

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure what your point is. You've literally shown that your overclocked 970 is below the 480's performance level.

Just to clarify:

Bigvizz overclocked 970 = Graphics Score 17566

RX480 8GB stock rates = Graphics Score 18060
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2016-06-09 at 05:08 PM. Reason: just to clarify

Yeah, in Ashes of Singularity. We kinda knew this was only going to be the case in ASync Compute situations, because the 900 series handles ASync Compute so poorly.

Yeah, in Ashes of Singularity. We kinda knew this was only going to be the case in ASync Compute situations, because the 900 series handles ASync Compute so poorly.
    Talking about 3DMark 11 performance.

Is the 8gb worth it?

So you'd get a performance upgrade from a card that costs half of what you paid for your 970

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Is the 8gb worth it?
    I don't think there's much value to the 8GB, though a few games with "Extra" type texture settings may make use of it.

Talking about 3DMark 11 performance.
    Yes, I know, but the statement he was talking about, "980 performance with a mid level OC," was only ever shown to do so in AotS. Which is why in other applications, such as 3DMark, it's not surprising that the 480 does not beat the 980.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mehhhhh....
    Which is the majority. In fact, the people that'll upgrade are those with older cards like GTX 600 or older, and Radeon HD 5000's or older. Like most people today, they're waiting for something that's actually an upgrade from what they have now. I wouldn't upgrade from a 960 or a 380, cause not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Is the 8gb worth it?
    Nope. The 970 and R9 290 have ~4GB of memory and do just fine. The R9 390 has 8GB because it wanted to seem more attractive to buyers over the GTX 970. The Fury cards are 4GB, and they're doing just fine. Considering how the RX 480 performs, there's no reason to go after the 8GB version.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2016-06-09 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Which is the majority. In fact, the people that'll upgrade are those with older cards like GTX 600 or older, and Radeon HD 5000's or older. Like most people today, they're waiting for something that's actually an upgrade from what they have now. I wouldn't upgrade from a 960 or a 380, cause not worth it.
    I probably am going to upgrade out of my 960 next year, but yeah, not to a 480. Not enough of an upgrade for the price. Still waiting to see what Vega 10/11 are going to do.

Deleted
    I probably am going to upgrade out of my 960 next year, but yeah, not to a 480. Not enough of an upgrade for the price. Still waiting to see what Vega 10/11 are going to do.
    I personally want to get out of the Keplar series of GPUs considering how Nvidia has treated them sooner then later, might actually make the RX480 my stop gap til Vega, going Maxwell 2.0 now is suicide considering its very obvious the driver updates will become unstable soon for it.

If I had a current 960 for example then I would be in the same boat as you, though heres hoping for the elusive RX490 to show its face.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    I personally want to get out of the Keplar series of GPUs considering how Nvidia has treated them sooner then later, might actually make the RX480 my stop gap til Vega, going Maxwell 2.0 now is suicide considering its very obvious the driver updates will become unstable soon for it.

If I had a current 960 for example then I would be in the same boat as you, though heres hoping for the elusive RX490 to show its face.
    Oh yeah, if I had Keplar, I'd certainly be considering a 480 a little harder than I am, but with the 960, nah. My best friend has a 380 and is saying the same thing, "Maybe next gen, maybe."

10+ Year Old Account
    Mehhhhh....
    Are you even serious? It's a 200 USD card. It's not aimed at people who already own things like a 970 or a 390.

This is the successor of the 380 and the 960.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, if I had Keplar, I'd certainly be considering a 480 a little harder than I am, but with the 960, nah. My best friend has a 380 and is saying the same thing, "Maybe next gen, maybe."
    Exactly, people also don't get that almost nobody is buying a new card every new gen. People who bought a HD7000s for example are probably still happy with their cards.