Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Lol it's a certified fact is it? Nearly all of its current box office sales are accounted for in China, where it was the widest-released movie of all time. Chinese box office sales are meaningless when you're talking about global revenues since their tax laws are crazy.

It needs to gross $400 million to just break even. It's nowhere near those numbers, and isn't expected to pull in all that much in the North American market. As far as we can tell at this point it's still struggling to even reach the black.

- - - Updated - - -

$44 million which is worth about $11 million when you're talking about global revenues. Chinese box office sales are recorded separately for a reason.

Again, it needs to reach $400 million to break even. Right now it hasn't even covered its production costs.
    wow 400 million~~~!! when a quick google search says 169 rounded up

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karenai View Post
    I bet it has nothing to do with all the addons most countries get, like 1 months sub, main game and all expansions, like in France. Or T-Mobile giving away free film tickets to every customer.
    Question is who pays for that. Did Blizz play different other companies off each other to make them pay for it, or is Blizzard giving that stuff away. They could be making more money from franchising it, like Lucas did with the films that shall not be named, than from the tickets alone.

Chinese ticket sales are also only valued up to 25% of all other ticket sales, because the chinese law forbids any foreign company to get more then 25% of the revenue. So 100 million in china is like 25 million in the US, at best.

The film will make a profit, like "Genisys" did, but not a huge one, overall, at least not for the studio. It will cement their foothold in China though, so that is good for them.
    That's why Warcraft is basically a chinese investors movie. Universal doesn't even distribute the movie in the Middle Kingdom, it's Wanda-owned Legendary combined with other chinese companies. Plus the fact that these companies are also the theatre owners, so they get the money directly from the tickets.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am going with a friend tonight to ATTEMPT to see it at 1900. I haven't decided how early we should show up, or whether or not there are still tickets available.

My theater is only showing it at two showings per day for the 2d version, an 3 for the 3d, for the whole weekend. Some other movies I've never even heard of are getting 5-6. Kinda strange.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    What on earth is wrong with you people? Why do you have such a need to go on this forum to try and convince others that Warcraft is in fact not doing well, when it is doing well by all metrics? "Well this other movie did better!" - That other movie also is the recordholder, not being number 1 does not mean you are doing poorly.

God fucking damn it, the amount of worthless people in this world.

Again, it needs to reach $400 million to break even. Right now it hasn't even covered its production costs.
    Is it not about double the budget unless they went mental on advertising? I will easily do that when all is said and done with cinema and dvd sales and other sundries i think. No one expects it to be a massive hit anyways. It will do reasonably well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    All this time and STILL less than X-Men Apocalypse's opening weekend...
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...er=DESC&p=.htm

China alone is breaking X-Men OW. Never go full retard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    Is it not about double the budget unless they went mental on advertising? I will easily do that when all is said and done with cinema and dvd sales and other sundries i think. No one expects it to be a massive hit anyways. It will do reasonably well.
    They went mental on marketing in China, all paid by chinese investors.

And its not the weekend yet. The reservations at my country atm on almost all theaters are 100% sold out for saturday/sunday according to their online system.

Deleted
    No, but the amount of sheer fans and old fans/base players + family and friends should have made it number 1. But it didn't so each alot of the people must be waiting for different moments to watch it just tells us that it's a totally average film.

That that's not really the case, I'd say it's the best game adaptation there is. Yet i feel that this is not part of warcraft universe lore. It's one of those "it's an other universe things" and that's my biggest problem with the movie, Which has made me not re watched it as i hav other films, and god knows what other reason some people have.

short end of it is. It had the base for a mega number 1 hit yet it didn't make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    And who cares? They already almost broke even. I bet they will in a day or two and then it's pure profit.

Also comparing Warcraft to X-Men... yeah right. It's like comparing some shit noname school movie made by kindergartners to frikkin' Titanic.
    They have broken even already.

That being said, you're 100% wrong on the comparison. Warcraft is a very established name, especially in the markets where it's performing so well. It's also made by Legendary Entertainment, which, again, is a very established company. At best, you can knock the director as an unknown since this was only his third film, but even so, the majority of the film is carried by those big names.

It's perfectly just to compare the two, because they're both big, established names. Just because you don't want to admit it, doesn't make it so.

Deadpool made profit within a few hours opening night. Apocalypse made profit within the first week. And here is Warcraft weeks later just barely breaking even.
    Its not even out yet, at least not world wide. Who told you it made 30 mill world wide? It sold well over 100 mil by now while the movie isn't even out in US.

10+ Year Old Account
    All this time and STILL less than X-Men Apocalypse's opening weekend...

Deadpool had a $50 million budget. What was it you were saying???
    Actually it was $58... and the point stands regardless. Boasting that a move with a small budget was profitable faster than one with $100m+ is stupid.

Its kinda pathetic that some of you are trying so very hard to explain away the film's success so far. Will the film do well in the U.S.? Who knows - but the film industry doesn't begin and end with the U.S. box office.

But hey, don't let me mess up the whole 'China doesn't matter!' thing ya'll got going on here.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

China: 3 days for X-men = $60mill
    China: 2 days for Warcraft = $90mill

Poor Blizz. Looks like their dreams of a Warcraft movie have totally bombed /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Degn89 View Post
    What on earth is wrong with you people? Why do you have such a need to go on this forum to try and convince others that Warcraft is in fact not doing well, when it is doing well by all metrics? "Well this other movie did better!" - That other movie also is the recordholder, not being number 1 does not mean you are doing poorly.
    Some people have too much time on their hands.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtigal View Post
    Every time the movie opens in a new region, it smashes the box office. I can't wait to see how well it'll do in the US!
    Sales aren't very indicative of a movie's quality. Most movies tend to be #1 on their opening weekend.

Batman VS Superman brought in about $850 million, and we all know how much ass it sucks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maoli View Post
    China: 3 days for X-men = $60mill
    China: 2 days for Warcraft = $90mill

Poor Blizz. Looks like their dreams of a Warcraft movie have totally bombed /s
    look's like they've found their market then? /s

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    It's doing extraordinarily well, yes. I can't wait until it hits the States, I'm eager to see it myself, as well as my whole family.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Lol it's a certified fact is it? Nearly all of its current box office sales are accounted for in China, where it was the widest-released movie of all time. Chinese box office sales are meaningless when you're talking about global revenues since their tax laws are crazy.

It needs to gross $400 million to just break even. It's nowhere near those numbers, and isn't expected to pull in all that much in the North American market. As far as we can tell at this point it's still struggling to even reach the black.

- - - Updated - - -

$44 million which is worth about $11 million when you're talking about global revenues. Chinese box office sales are recorded separately for a reason.

You know legendary is owned by a Chinese company, right?

Deleted
    Warcraft is doing pretty well for a movie that has had very little promotion (I think one cast member did a talk show over here that's it), a huge stigma attached to it, poor reviews and it's a videogame movie. I'm pretty sure Legendary knew that the international box office is where the money is for Warcraft (specifically China), I doubt they were expecting much from domestic.

Haters gonna hate though I guess. Comparing Warcraft to say Deadpool (huge star fronting it, lots of promotion, huge social media campaign, good reviews, etc) just shows how ignorant you are to what makes a box office smash.

Ultimately though the movie is pretty solid for Warcraft fans, and that's all that counts. They didn't "sell out" to appeal to everyone, they made a movie FOR the fans BY the fans.
    Last edited by mmocbd02567a48; 2016-06-09 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    It's very good that it's doing so well financially. For one, it means renewed focus on the game of WoW. Also, it means there will likely be a sequel or two, which means we could eventually get some bigtime movie
    I really want the third war and scourge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

Warcraft was not made by Legendary/Universal alone. A lot of firms invested into it, many of which were Chinese. In any case, a Chinese firm now owns Legendary, and that firm (Wanda) controlled a very high percentage of the screens in China where Warcraft opened.

It's not as black and white as you think it is.