Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chris100185 View Post
    I think in Pacific Rim's case it's more about potential. The movie's biggest market was China, a market which has been steadily growing. Also strong home market sales could play a role. All that aside, it's not like they're rushing out to make it. 3 years later and it doesn't even have a start date for filming yet. You can bet if the movie was more successful we'd have been watching it this summer if not sooner.
    Which is also the case of Warcraft. Accordingly to Deadline, Universal's investment was 25%-30%, Blizzard's unknown and the rest was chinese investment. It is Wanda's attempt of creating a new franchise to fight Disney in China.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Ragnarok is coming... And the closest thing we'll be getting any time soon.
    Oh I'm aware that Thor: Ragnarok is a buddy/buddy action movie starring Thor and the Hulk... but, here's the thing: The WarCraft movie pretty much dispels all excuses as to why there can't be a solo Hulk movie in which the Hulk actually talks and behaves like most of his comic book incarnations. The classic green Hulk with his own sort of "Hulk speak," the more sinister (but still generally benevolent) grey Hulk who talked more or less like a regular guy... they are all doable now.

Deleted
    Soo, i've been following this thread for a couple of weeks now and since i saw the movie, i decided to share my thoughts.

First of all, i'm from Greece, movie released yesterday here and i went to see it at 00:15. The theater was full plus almost all the other screenings as well. I went with 2 friends of mine who play WoW and know a fair share of things and two other people who had absolutely no clue whatsoever. And they liked it, a LOT!

As for me, let me state as quickly as possible the pros/cons. I'll start with the negative ones.

-Pacing, as stated, is an issue. Especially in the beginning. I'd love it to be a bit (even a lot) slower at some points, it just seemed to jump from one thing to another very veeeery fast!
    -That said, i'd want the movie to last longer, as many of you already said. Seemed that it lacked something, don't know where though. Beginning, middle, end? Maybe on every part.
    -Humans. Although there wasn't really any “bad acting", a lot of times they just seemed, well, meh. Kinda uninteresting. Apart from Lothar, Medivh and Khadgar.

Pros:

-At last, we saw the places we spent a lot of gametime the past few years on the big screen. Loved every bit.
    -Orcs. What. The. Hell! I fucking loved them. Every scene with Gul'dan, Durotan, Orgrim, ANYONE REALLY, amazed me. The teasing with Grom, Kargath, Kilrogg was excellent. Hell, i even loved every single scene with baby thrall!
    -Special praise to Daniel Wu for Gul'dan. I believe that his character was astonishing. Terrifying, cruel.
    -Loved Durotan. He was the most emotional character of the movie imho, although and correct me if i'm wrong, it didn't show how his wolf died, he just showed up with his skin when he fought Gul'dan
    -Loved Orgrim as well, even if he needed more screening time
    -Graphics. YES! No it can't be compared to LOTR and definitely not GoT, i believe they're way better. And i think that LOTR is one of the best movies ever made, plus i watch GoT like a maniac.
    -Medivh, Khadgar. Loved them. I always liked Ben Foster but i've never seen him play a role like this one. Khadgar especially kept me really interested throughout the movie.
    -Lothar was good, he could be better but he wasn't bad as many believe. He seemed kinda out of character at some points but overall he was good. On the other hand, i didn't like at all the scenes with his son. I couldn't care less, the way it ended, really.
    -Garona was really not as bad as many thought. I like Paula Patton in general and i thought she did a good job.
    -Blackhand was a fucking beast. Literally. Fierce, awesome, terrifying. Unlike WoD :P

Lore:

I'm not a lore geek so there are many things that i do not know. Frankly, i didn't know a lot of stuff that happened during the First War. Garona-Medivh romance? Not a clue. Backhand's death? Same. . In other words, because i can't really find the ones i want to use, i'm trying to say that the changes didn't affect me or my friends (and the 2 of them were aware of the lore).

OVERALL:

For me, this movie's worth 7.5,8/10. I would have rated it 8.5, 9/10 if the pace was slower and if the duration was bigger. It's a great fantasy movie and i'd definitely go see it again. And of course i'm expecting a director's cut, i'm like a mad man when it comes to that matter (have the Hobbit and LOTR trilogy extended DVDs). Truth is there is a lot of potential. So i'm hoping we get a sequel and eventually a full trilogy which might lead to more films.
    Last edited by mmocdc4d0d4c33; 2016-06-11 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stelmat View Post
    -Loved Durotan. He was the most emotional character of the movie imho, although and correct me if i'm wrong, it didn't show how his wolf died, he just showed up with his skin when he fought Gul'dan
    If you have seen Lords of War, you get told that he killed his wolf back when he was young. The wolf you see in this movie isn't the one he got the skin from

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Oh I'm aware that Thor: Ragnarok is a buddy/buddy action movie starring Thor and the Hulk... but, here's the thing: The WarCraft movie pretty much dispels all excuses as to why there can't be a solo Hulk movie in which the Hulk actually talks and behaves like most of his comic book incarnations. The classic green Hulk with his own sort of "Hulk speak," the more sinister (but still generally benevolent) grey Hulk who talked more or less like a regular guy... they are all doable now.
    The character of the hulk can be portrayed better yes but there won't be a solo hulk film because of rights issues. Marvel can use him in avengers and Thor etc but they don't have the rights to produce a solo hulk film without universal getting a cut or them coming to an agreement like they did with Sony for Spider-Man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornwar View Post
    If you have seen Lords of War, you get told that he killed his wolf back when he was young. The wolf you see in this movie isn't the one he got the skin from
    Aaah yes, ofc! Now i remembered... Yeah, i've seen Lords of War, shit how could i forget haha. Cheers man!

Deleted

Just been thinking... while I like the idea of Llane telling Garona to kill him, how fucked up would it be if they kept the original idea of Gul'dan controlling her, but only showed us the killing scene and not that it was Gul'dan?! People would freak out in the cinema, I bet!

"WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING GARONA?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to mention one thing. Most people who talk about the Warcraft movie have said that there are pacing issues and that they would like the movie to be longer so that all characters can be properly introduced.

This is actually not a bad thing as it would be worse if all those people would have said Warcraft should've been shorter instead. At least they weren't bored while watching (heh, they didn't get the chance due to there being too much going on).... it could've been worse...

Quote Originally Posted by Anduin94 View Post
    Just saw the film a 2nd time at the theater, this time with a friend of mine who doesn't know nothing about Warcraft.

I loved the film just like the 1st time, and that was obvious to me lol

The interesting thing is my friend's reaction though.
    He absolutely LOVED the movie. He wanted to see a sequel right as soon as the film ended.

Some interesting things:

What he liked:
    - he loved Durotan and was surprised at his death scene. . He was his favorite character of the movie.
    - he liked a lot Lothar's character arc, especially his dynamic with Khadgar. He thinks the coolest thing of Lothar is the actor's strong performance and the fact his warrior side is showed perfectly, especially how he fights "astutely" in kinda every scene.
    - He thinks Khadgar is a bad-ass mage. He prefers him to Medivh, although he liked also the Guardian's story. He thinks magic in the film was awesome.
    - very interesting thing, he loved King Llane's character. He expected him to be a cliched naive King who commits many mistakes and don't listen to wise advices (King Terenas?), but he actually is always wise and essentially a good guy, and his last scene was really emotional to him. He loved how this young King didn't think twice to sacrifice himself for the good of his people
    - He liked Garona and her arc, especially her last scenes in the film
    - He liked Gul'dan and Blackhand
    - He found every VFX in the film to be great and realistic
    - He liked the main theme of the score, and he thinks the music fits perfectly with the scenes, although he didn't notice many other themes

What he didn't like:

- He noticed a scene was weirdly cut at a certain point
    - He wasn't impressed by Orgrim's character
    - I had to explain him a thing about the demon taking possession of Medivh

He understood everything about the film even without knowing the game, with the exception of Sargeras scene. If it's actually Sargeras lol

He fell in love with Warcraft film and now understand why I love Warcraft. He wants the extended edition and a sequel.
    He was genuinely shocked at how great the movie was for him
    I did exactly the same thing. My friend loved the movie too. She was just as surprised by Durotan's death, and Medivh's transformation. Personally I was a little worried about how the pacing of the movie and the how some of the actors looked kind of bored in the beginning. I was rooting for the Green skinned Orcs wondering if we could get a movie just about them instead. My criticisms aside my friend had a blast and was also looking foward to a sequel. I am only left to wonder if I had been infected by MMOC for being prepared to hate something before it is released.

I was in the middle of writing a review of everything I thought could be done better but with all the negative backlash already I don't think its necessary to add to it. Instead I'll say to anyone considering seeing this movie for themselves despite what the crowd of critics says just ask yourself if you had a chance to see a high definition rendition of actual Lore events in game for your faction and races on the big screen wouldn't it be worth the guilty pleasure. Knowing all the spoilers from then on would just make you a little more hip to all of the hidden details the movie fails at explaining (or chooses not to explain.) All you Loremasters and WC I and II people know what I'm talking about. That's my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Marvel does not have distribution rights to a Hulk film. AkA if they make the movie they get no profits. There is the excuse. You want to spend millions of dollars on a movie and watch another studio gain the profit. Also that studio can choose to not distribute it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CR77 View Post
    The character of the hulk can be portrayed better yes but there won't be a solo hulk film because of rights issues.
    Yes, I'm well aware of that as well. Thanks. What I was responding to was the many times it was said in the media that the reason why we don't get a Hulk that talks and acts more like the Hulk(s) from the comics is because it is too hard to do. I'm thinking too many people still have the Lou Ferrigno version on the brain when they think of the Hulk... a big green monster guy who generally doesn't speak.

10+ Year Old Account
    My Fiance who knows nothing about Warcraft, outside of Hearthstone, loved the movie. Gave it a 9/10. Said it was better than The Hobbit movies.

Quote Originally Posted by stelmat View Post
    Snip.
    chances are there will be. They were forced to cut 40 minutes worth of film. Even the good stuff.

So who here believe the orc that speaks in the very beginning is actually Thrall?

I do.

Heck, how do we not know if it isn't Toby who will play adult Thrall as well? Maybe Duncan already had it planned out! We know from an interview, back during filming, that Toby said he would like to play him. And the way the opening begins, it is meant to illustrate present time, with the humans fighting the orcs. Then when the shot changes to Durotan, the flashback begins. AND. From then on, it is actually Durotan talking!

This here is the exact dialogue from the opening:

"There's been a war between orcs and humans, for as long can be remembered. But there was once a time when we didn't even know who our enemy was. Or what that evil magic, the fel, had done to us.

(goes to black)

But in the beginning, how could we have known?

(changes to shot of Durotan)

What choice did we have? Our world was dying. And I had to find my clan a new home"

What do you guys think? I think its possible.

One thing I wanna point out is that the orc says "Or what that evil magic, the fel, had done to us." Remember Durotan never got corrupted, so why would he say that line? He never took part in that. Of couse I could just be over-analyzing the sentence, maybe he just talks about the overall Horde. But why would he say "There's been a war between orcs and humans, for as long can be remembered"? Durotan knows how the war started, it isn't unknown to him. IMO the voice also sounds a tiny bit different between the sentences.
    Last edited by Tornwar; 2016-06-11 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thontor View Post
    obviosly if she's half Orc, and her father is human, that would make her mother an Orc

Medivh, in the movie said he traveled a lot, met someone he loved, etc. the implication being he went to Draenor somehow and impregnated an Orc female
    And how in the world did Medivh get to Draenor?!

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    And how in the world did Medivh get to Draenor?!
    He's THE Mage of Azeroth who just so happens to be possessed by (presumably) sargeras, if anyone can travel between worlds I think he can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Just been thinking... while I like the idea of Llane telling Garona to kill him, how fucked up would it be if they kept the original idea of Gul'dan controlling her, but only showed us the killing scene and not that it was Gul'dan?! People would freak out in the cinema, I bet!

"WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING GARONA?!"
    It would have been "fucked up" but also cheap storytelling.

What do you guys think? I think its possible.
    Yeah, now that you mention it I think is very probable. The orc sounds like Durotan but didn't seem to sound exactly like him (at least that's the impression I got). Indeed, Durotan was never corrupted by anything and he simply can't be a narrator since he dies in this movie. Last but not least, Thrall fits perfectly because he was the very narrator of Rise of the Horde, similarly explaining the history of treachery and corruption plauging his people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I really liked Lothar's character, the actor brought too much of his role as Ragnar from the TV show Vikings to the movie. Some of the mannerisms, how he pronounced things, etc. It wasn't anything crazy, but I definitely could have done without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    And the reasons were introduced in the movie, the orcs are very traditional when Gul'dan doesn't care about the traditions. Orgrim can easily pick up from there, now that he doesn't have a clan.

- - - Updated - - -

At the end of the movie, there was no Warchief.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axphism View Post
    That's true, but would that automatically give Gul'dan the title of Warchief?
    At the end of the novelization, in a scene that takes place after the funeral scene, it is revealed that Garona Halforcen is the new Warchief of the horde. With Gul'dan at her side, she is the new leader of his army