Quote Originally Posted by Rivelle View Post
    I apologize if I've missed the question being asked and answered somewhere already...

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the free pass you get from seeing the movie at Regal to do a refer-a-friend account?
    Yeah, you can. I am doing it right now. The keys act as any regular copy of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Since you saw the council meeting properly, I need to ask, there was a black guy there, who was that? I can't place him anywhere and I didn't see him properly.
    Oh that was just Jamal.

Quote Originally Posted by Plehnard View Post
    Khadgar was the charakter that surprised me the most. Judging from the trailers I thought he was a total miscast but I really like him in the film. (although the campfire scene was totally unnecessary in my view)

I really liked Khadgar in the movie. I was worried initially upon hearing about this movie that it would focus exclusively on sword and board type characters. Orc warrriors vs human warriors. I was actually surprised that this movie was more high fantasy in the scale of magic used.

I was also surprised at how they depicted magical power, in games devs always want to balance the scales, pretend for the sake of the melee/wolverine loving audience that picking up a metal stick and twirling it around and playing scratch scratch slice slice is anywhere NEAR on the same scale as a being called a mage that wields Cosmic POWER from his fingertips, channels the energy of all creation and reshapes the world based on his will. The idea that such fonts of incredible power are in the same league as some lowborn melee gutter peasants strains credulity. And though we did not get too much focus on Khadgars magic, when it came out, it was extremely powerful. The kind of power I did not expect to see.

This is the honor mages deserved. I hope a sequel is made, and more of this is explored.

Just finished watching it and I was satisfied overall. The CGI was great and I had fun spotting the easter eggs. There probably wont be any sequels due to poor box office sales but I would totally watch any and all sequels to this franchise.

Saw it. Great visuals, decent story, absolutely terrible casting IMO especially for Lothar.

The team who worked on it had the unenviable job of attempting to tell a story that's been evolving for nearly 20 years in just over 2 hours..... was not going to come across very well, and it was barely coherent in reality. I'm not convinced I would have any ANY idea wtf was going on unless I knew the backstory. I will say, it was amazing to see the familiar in-game locations in such real life splendor. Other than the wow (no pun intended...seriously) factor though, I have no interest in seeing a sequel if it's going to be a repeat performance like this.

So what are thought on that one ambassdor/leader that storms off in a huff? Lordaeron rep, Greymane?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Saw it. Great visuals, decent story, absolutely terrible casting IMO especially for Lothar.

The team who worked on it had the unenviable job of attempting to tell a story that's been evolving for nearly 20 years in just over 2 hours..... was not going to come across very well, and it was barely coherent in reality. I'm not convinced I would have any ANY idea wtf was going on unless I knew the backstory. I will say, it was amazing to see the familiar in-game locations in such real life splendor. Other than the wow (no pun intended...seriously) factor though, I have no interest in seeing a sequel if it's going to be a repeat performance like this.
    Agreed.

Everything except the discontinuous story was very good.

And yeah, part of the problem is indeed that they were cramming too much stuff in whilst at the same time generating more questions and "lost" moments for the audience.
    I genuinely felt a little baffled at times during the first half of the movie and can really understand why outsiders are completely turned off from the get-go.

For a fan it was a great experience, although, even as a fan I felt lacking elements.

Talking

Didn't like the story changes at all. It looked like Warcraft, they used some of the names from Warcraft, but the choices they made left me scratching my head.

If this was the story as it should have been, I'm glad it wasn't originally because it's not nearly as good.

As far as visuals I was perfectly happy with them .

I'll break it down:

Visuals
    • The Orc CGI was very impressive. They really brought their raw strength to light in their design. I was expecting it to look cheesy, but that wasn't the case.
    • The scenery was also impressive. Seeing so many places from Warcraft history displayed on the big screen was breathtaking. Stormwind, Elwynn, and Dalaran were phenomenal. Kara looked nice, but it's not at all how I'd picture it.
    • Some of the magic CGI was very "eyeroll" inducing, though.

The Characters (not cast)

I found myself split on the characters. Some I really liked while others seemed... odd?

• Lothar's personality would fit that more of a rogue or barbarian (or Viking...).
    • Gul'dan was very nicely portrayed. Evil, powerful, and a win at any cost attitude, which almost cost him the Horde multiple times.
    • Medivh's story was one that every Warcraft player familiar with the lore knew was coming. Even though predictable, I thoroughly enjoyed his character.
    • Garona story took a bit of a change from the books, which I felt was a pretty large opportunity they let slip through their grasp. I think it would've been better if at the end, rather than giving the king a mercy killing, she just flat out swapped sides and killed him, only to be revealed in the next movie that Gul'dan was controlling her. Overall, aside from 1 aspect of her character, she was solid.
    • Khadgar... My issue with this character is the pacing of the movie itself. He goes from being the weaker mage of the movie to being a super mage in no time at all. Aside from his power issue, he's about what I'd expect from a mage.
    • King Llane. He just never felt like a king to me. I liked his pursuit of peace, but that was it. He seemed more like a prince than a king.
    • Lothar's forgettable son was useless.
    • The rest of the Orcs I very much enjoyed. Durotan going against the Horde to free his people. Ogrim making a grave mistake that cost the Frostwolves their lives. Blackhand with his honor when he defies Gul'dan. Even the little cameos of the other Cheiftains was pretty nice. Killrog, Grommash, and Kargath.

The Cast
    • Some of the choices seemed strange. Lothar didn't seem very Knight'ish, as mentioned earlier. Khadgar and Medivh just seemed off until about half way through when I got used to them. The rest were decent/good though.
    • The acting... I don't think the acting was bad, just that the writing was horrible at times.

The Writing
    Plot-wise, it was great. Sure, we all knew the plot, more or less, but it was a nice change of pace to see it on the big screen. Other aspects were... questionable. The love scene was way too forced and happened far too quickly. I felt that they didn't even need to include it, but here we are. And the pacing was probably the worse thing about the movie, well, at least for the first half or so. Towards the end it got A LOT better. You'll see for yourself when you watch it, if you haven't already. And if you haven't, why are you reading reviews?!

I went in with very low expectations because game movies are generally god-awful. It was good, barring the first half. This makes me very excited for the next one because the first one focused a lot on introductions and such, the second one should just be pure plot at this point.

Would recommend to any Warcraft player.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Didn't like the story changes at all. It looked like Warcraft, they used some of the names from Warcraft, but the choices they made left me scratching my head.

If this was the story as it should have been, I'm glad it wasn't originally because it's not nearly as good.

As far as visuals I was perfectly happy with them .
    I mean, the original story is not that great. Lothar gets captured in westfall and stuck for months, the orcs handily win most of the battles before Lothar gets back and makes them retreat, Lothar and Khadgar go to kill Medivh, and Garona is brainwashed into killing the king and the orcs sack stormwind. That's the plot of warcraft 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Darbot View Post
    I mean, the original story is not that great. Lothar gets captured in westfall and stuck for months, the orcs handily win most of the battles before Lothar gets back and makes them retreat, Lothar and Khadgar go to kill Medivh, and Garona is brainwashed into killing the king and the orcs sack stormwind. That's the plot of warcraft 1.
    For me it's how they shifted things with Guldan. He was always more of a guy that worked from the shadows, manipulating the orcs for his own gain. While he may have always been the one in control, he wasn't nearly as out front as he was in the movies because almost no one trusted him.

So Ive heard ppl say theres a mannoroth camre, if true can someone say when abouts it happens in the movie? thanks

Got done seeing the movie with my wife and I LOVED it. It's the only movie this year that's been able to hold my attention for the full duration. My wife who has never played any Warcraft game said it was the best movie we've seen this year.

Quote Originally Posted by xcess View Post
    So Ive heard ppl say theres a mannoroth camre, if true can someone say when abouts it happens in the movie? thanks
    First I'm hearing of it. I saw no such thing, but I did miss a lot of the simple things, such as the Warlords cameos.

Just came back from it. Went in with a few friends (guildies). We all enjoyed it as a fantasy action movie. The few of us who were WoW players got a kick out of a few of the easter eggs in the movie. For me, it was a solid 7/10 movie. I didn't mind the lore changes all that much, and I think a lot of it helped move the movie along. Most of the problems I had were with pacing and the forced romance. Otherwise, it was pretty solid and not a total wreck as I was expecting.

Few lore/movie things I wanted to point out

- Garona is Halforcen. Nowhere in the movie is it stated that she's human or draenei, only a scene where she says she's neither Orc nor Human. I don't see this as confirmation that she's half-human. The only big change is that her mother is the Orc half.
    - Orgrim being Frostwolf didn't really need to happen. I can see them doing it to get a closer bond between Durotan and Orgrim, but not sure why he had to be the same clan. If Orgrim is the warchief of the Horde in the 2nd war, that sort of diminishes the reclusive nature of the Frostwolf clan.
    - Why Alodi and not Aegwynn?
    - So... Khadgar is next Guardian now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just saw Warcraft and... I don't really know how to feel about it honestly. I enjoyed watching it, it was very entertaining and held my attention, however the story was a little eh. I feel they rushed it too much in order to fit it into two hours and they left out a lot that was just essential to the story. There needed to be more explanation about Draenor (hell, at least name drop the fucking draenei ONCE) and the Burning Legion. Even if it was just some five minute little story-telling like they did with lord of the rings at the beginning of Fellowship. If they had some sort of background to the story, it would have made the beginning less... odd. It felt like you were thrust into the middle of a story rather than the beginning (which I mean they're marketing it AS the beginning, right?)

I thought the orc side of things was very good, however. All of the voices and the line delivery and whatnot was excellent. The fight scenes were pretty good, though at times I thought the CGI was a little cheesy. The alliance side of things felt different however. Some of the lines and the writing were just... off. It was bearable, but I couldn't help but frown a bit at some of the dialogue.

Now when I get to Medivh and Karazhan and the Kirin Tor and Dalaran I really start to feel a little miffed at how they portrayed all of it, but in the end it wasn't... awful. It wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't the worst. (It was a little weird making Alodi a woman for whatever reason, but whatever. Glenn Close is a good actress so I don't mind). I thought that Medivh could have been portrayed better and I also felt that Karazhan could have been created better. It didn't really feel like Karazhan watching the movie, but maybe that's just me. Dalaran and the Kirin Tor... I think they also suffered from the whole being rushed thing. I didn't really like how Khadgar could just run up to them and be all "Blah blah Alodi dark portal" and they're just like "k let's just show you everything now." I dunno.

Overall, the movie has a lot of faults and I can definitely see how and why people might not like it, but I enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting much going into it and I think it exceeded my lowered expectations certainly. It was by no means perfect, but I'll buy it when it comes out on blu ray. It's fun to watch if nothing else. I'd say 6-7/10
    Hey

Mannoroth Cameo

Quote Originally Posted by xcess View Post
    There is a painting of mannoroth in Gul'dan's tent. I haven't seen the mannoroth panel on screen, out of my 2 viewings I've only caught a glimpse of one panel during the fel fire warchief scene, another time to see them is probably right before the Mak'gora scene. Or, anytime Gul'dan leaves his tent.
    But there is a representation of it in the "Warcraft: Behind the Dark Portal" concept and set art/background book by Daniel Wallace. The painting is done in the style of art that Duncan Jones posted to his twitter.

Sorry I can't post links, till I am more active on MMO Champion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just watched the movie

first of all I have been playing the game since TBC,

recently I have become very jaded, but as for the movie all I can say is Awesome. I enjoyed every single minute of it

the 2 hours flew in, It left me in the end thinking I want more, I really hope they make another movie.

Cant wait till the blu-ray comes out

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post

Undoubtedly the worst part of the movie for me was when some dumbasses had translated various names into Finnish in the subs. You don't translate names!
    Holy shit really?

Now I 100% won't go watch it, not like I had planned to anyway. Could've hired me to do it for fuck's sake.
    Last edited by mmoce213c955fb; 2016-06-12 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Undoubtedly the worst part of the movie for me was when some dumbasses had translated various names into Finnish in the subs.
    Why would the fantasy worlds of Azeroth and Draenor use English names? They are not USA.
    You don't translate names!
    Rikhard Leijonamieli? Sven Haaraparta? Norsunluurannikon?
    Last edited by Tackhisis; 2016-06-12 at 08:22 AM.