Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    And it is a Holy magic(not holy damage) spell in WC3 and a Nature magic spell in WoW. It is not, at any point, an Arcane magic spell. It only deals arcane damage.
    Hmm, well that's interesting, I did learn something new. It does have a connection to the arcane in that it deals arcane damage -- but I concede that I'm wrong otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Atop the Golden Throne, wondering how it was easier to get up than back down.
    And it is a Holy magic(not holy damage) spell in WC3 and a Nature magic spell in WoW. It is not, at any point, an Arcane magic spell. It only deals arcane damage.
    There is literally no evidence to it being Holy or Natural in any of those cases. In WC3 it's just classified as "damage". In WoW, it uses the Arcane visual effects and damage type, even for Druids. It's not drawn from terrestrial nature, it's drawn from astral bodies, which is why there is a distinction between a Druid's natural and arcane spells - otherwise they could all just be Nature or Holy damage.

Fun fact though: Before Wrath, Night Elf Priests could exclusively pick up a spell called Starshards, a lesser version of Druids' Starfall - which dealt Arcane damage. If what you are saying was true, there'd be no reason for it not to be Holy damage, but a distinction was retained and that is significant.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    Priests worship the Light, therefore have Holy magic (or the Void for Shadow Magic). There are no Priests that worship Order, where Arcane magic comes from, since all the Priests worship the Light.
    1) We literally just agreed that not all Priests worship the Light. The Priests that we can play often do simply because the Light is the most commonly recognized religion between the Horde and Alliance. Even then, you also have races like the Tauren who worship An'she the Sun as a source of Light, or the Trolls whose Holy powers come from the Loa, or the Forsaken whose Shadow powers are part of their religious antithesis to the Light rather than from the Void.
    They're not called "Light Priests" or "Void Priests", they're called "Holy" and "Shadow" in an effort to be all-encompassing.
    Even then, there are Priests whose powers aren't even Holy or Shadow-based, because their sources are neither light nor dark; again I invite you to look at that list of elemental Priests I wrote for you.

2) Maybe there aren't any Priests who directly worship Order as a concept - but it's absolutely possible for Priests to worship the Titans, especially given their literal god-like powers and analogues. It would be no different than someone obtaining Light powers from worship of a conduit such as the Naaru, like the entire Draenei species do. As I said, Naga who worship Azshara still get Water powers out of the deal, even if Azshara isn't granting them herself, and the Titans would likely have a lot more followers than Azshara does.
    Last edited by Leviatharan; 2016-06-15 at 08:55 PM.
    Leviatharan - Level 120 Blood Elf Unholy Death Knight - Inscription/Herbalism - <Conflux> - Drak'Tharon US

Now author of Morbid Musings, a blog dedicated to DK theorycraft. Ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Leviatharan View Post
    There is literally no evidence to it being Holy or Natural in any of those cases. In WC3 it's just classified as "damage". In WoW, it uses the Arcane visual effects and damage type, even for Druids. It's not drawn from terrestrial nature, it's drawn from astral bodies, which is why there is a distinction between a Druid's natural and arcane spells.

Fun fact though: Before Wrath, Night Elf Priests could exclusively pick up a spell called Starshards, a lesser version of Druids' Starfall - which dealt Arcane damage. If what you are saying was true, there'd be no reason for it not to be Holy damage, but a distinction was made and that is significant.

1) We literally just agreed that not all Priests worship the Light. The Priests that we can play often do simply because the Light is the most commonly recognized religion between the Horde and Alliance. Even then, you also have races like the Tauren who worship An'she the Sun as a source of Light, or the Trolls whose Holy powers come from the Loa, or the Forsaken whose Shadow powers are part of their religious antithesis to the Light rather than from the Void.
    They're not called "Light Priests" or "Void Priests", they're called "Holy" and "Shadow" in an effort to be all-encompassing.

2) Maybe there aren't any Priests who worship Order as a concept - but it's absolutely possible for Priests to worship the Titans, especially given their literal god-like powers and analogues. As I said, Naga who worship Azshara still get Water powers out of the deal, even if Azshara isn't granting them herself.
    I always found it a little telling towards the generic nature of priest that their core heals were given bland names like heal, greater heal, renew, prayer of healing, flash heal etc, while say Paladins got Flash of Light and Holy Light because of their more specific nature. I don't know if this still holds up though, I haven't played a priest since vanilla really so I don't know if they have more distinctive names these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    I always found it a little telling towards the generic nature of priest that their core heals were given bland names like heal, greater heal, renew, prayer of healing, flash heal etc, while say Paladins got Flash of Light and Holy Light because of their more specific nature. I don't know if this still holds up though, I haven't played a priest since vanilla really so I don't know if they have more distinctive names these days.
    They're trying to make it less "generic" next expansion as they delve into class backstories and identities, but the general naming convention is retained in all but a few cases (ie Talents, which are supposed to be custom to your character).
    Leviatharan - Level 120 Blood Elf Unholy Death Knight - Inscription/Herbalism - <Conflux> - Drak'Tharon US

Quote Originally Posted by LazarusLong View Post
    Actually, Aquamonkey is quite knowledgeable and tends to back his statements. Unlike you.
    Someone does not read my statements... or at the very least the bare minimum to make this absurd claim.

1) We literally just agreed that not all Priests worship the Light.
    The "we" part is incorrect. YOU have decided that, whereas I disagree. Where are the Order Priests wielding Arcane magic? No where. Where are the Life Priests wielding Nature magic? No where.

Quote Originally Posted by ausciswhitemale View Post
    Seeing as you cannot spell naaru, you're probably not onto something.
    correcting spelling error for wow lore, gotem. rekt. destroyed.
    Hi Sephurik

Someone does not read my statements... or at the very least the bare minimum to make this absurd claim.

The "we" part is incorrect. YOU have decided that, whereas I disagree. Where are the Order Priests wielding Arcane magic? No where. Where are the Life Priests wielding Nature magic? No where.
    Keep your headcanon to yourself. You haven't presented anything to back your statments, you just insulting everyone who does not agree with you.

Also, troll priests do not worship light for example and use wide variety of abilities, including, yes, nature magic. In, like, every troll dungeon and raid.
    Last edited by LazarusLong; 2016-06-15 at 09:15 PM.

There is literally no evidence to it being Holy or Natural in any of those cases. In WC3 it's just classified as "damage". In WoW, it uses the Arcane visual effects and damage type, even for Druids. It's not drawn from terrestrial nature, it's drawn from astral bodies, which is why there is a distinction between a Druid's natural and arcane spells - otherwise they could all just be Nature or Holy damage.

Fun fact though: Before Wrath, Night Elf Priests could exclusively pick up a spell called Starshards, a lesser version of Druids' Starfall - which dealt Arcane damage. If what you are saying was true, there'd be no reason for it not to be Holy damage, but a distinction was retained and that is significant.
    Damage school is irrelevant. It's solely for gameplay purposes. Druids and Priests do not have access to Arcane magic. Astral bodies are as natural(actually, due to Titan involvement, more natural) as plants and animals.

I could be wrong but I thought I remembered a blue or someone saying the 'balance' part of balance druid comes from balancing nature and arcane, suggesting they use both, but I may be remembering wrong.

Keep your headcanon to yourself.
    Only one problem, it is not head-canon! /gasp I know! Surprising!

Also, troll priests do not worship light for example and use wide variety of abilities, including, yes, nature magic. In, like, every troll dungeon and raid.
    "With trolls being naturally superstitious and spiritual, it allows the various troll priests to manipulate the spiritual energy of the world in order to either heal or harm their targets."
    Spiritual energy, aka HOLY, =/= Nature, or even "wide variety of abilities."

My son, I tell you this: Blizzard made Narru!

Quote Originally Posted by TyrannicalPuppy View Post
    Just re-watched it. Follow your own advice. All it says is that it was forged during the Great Ordering of the Universe. No mention of Elune. Period.

- - - Updated - - -

No. It was speculated that she was synonymous with Azeroth. The speculation turned out wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

No cutscenes until the expansion launches. We're just going to have to wait until Aug. 30.

- - - Updated - - -

Someone could have thrown the shards of light into the cosmos like the Void Lords did the Old Gods. That someone being Elune.

Whoever the Tears came from, it's not a Titan. What matters is that they had the power to open Light's Heart. So either it is a relic from Elune and she really is the one to have created the Naaru, or it's the core of one of Xe'ra's first children. Considering it lacks the shape and distinct yellow glow, I'm willing to wave away the latter.
    Actually the WoD cutscenes came out slightly beforehand. So probably mid August.

- - - Updated - - -

Are said =/= they do. I thought you would stick to that with the whole Void Lord jealousy of Titan debate, but you are more like Mitt Romney when it comes to debates - you flip-flop where it is beneficial to you and only you.

What did they spell out? There is no evidence that Priestesses of the Moon use Arcane spells!!! Holy fuck you are moronic.
    Welcome to dealing with Aquamonkey. He'll cite bits and pieces from the WC Encylopedia/UVG and when you cite something else from it that is clearly not true he'll argue that he can take bits and pieces of what he wants to be true.

Now with Chronicle he'll distort wording to indicate what he wants it to seem like. Just like people keep claiming the Naztherim worshipped the old gods/void lords when it never says that there.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you're just going to ignore multiple cases of:

Naga/Murloc Priests wielding Water Magic
    Yaungol/Salamander Priests wielding Fire Magic
    Gurubashi/Amani Priests wielding Nature magic
    Non-Light worshiping Priests (Tauren, Trolls - hell, if you were right, Night Elves) wielding Holy magic
    Non-Void worshiping Priests (Trolls, Forsaken, Scourge) wielding Shadow magic

And probably others that I'm forgetting. No no, Priest = Light and only the Light. Even Shadow/Discipline Priests.

You're being ignorant of evidence, cycling arguments, and not contributing to discussion.
    Last edited by Leviatharan; 2016-06-15 at 10:09 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Damage school is irrelevant. It's solely for gameplay purposes.
    Then why did you correct me?

Druids and Priests do not have access to Arcane magic.
    .... what? Of course they do. All night elves do. What do you think moonwells are?
    http://wow.gamepedia.com/Arcane#Moonwells

Astral bodies are as natural(actually, due to Titan involvement, more natural) as plants and animals.
    OK

Yes, it did.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, Aquamonkey is quite knowledgeable and tends to back his statements. Unlike you.
    He actually is not. He typically does exactly what that guy is saying. He'll take some parts of random things as canon then when presented with all the non canonical things he'll just spout off like an angry child that not everything in the book can be canon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Except not all Naaru spawned from one.

Elune is only believed to have created Xe'ra, O'ros being one of its offspring.

There are plenty of other Naaru who are not of Xe'ra. O'ros was called the last of its line for a reason.
    Well if you want to be technical (And believe in this sort of thing)...god created Adam and Eve...yet we're all still considered children of God, why is that different for Naaru?

10+ Year Old Account
    Damage school is irrelevant. It's solely for gameplay purposes.
    Like I said: if it was irrelevant, they could have used Holy or Nature as a substitute.

Why not? Worship of a celestial body gives Tauren their Holy magic after all.

As I've been telling RedGamer030, there are Priests who wield other types of magic, based on the source of their powers. Why not Arcane?

Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    I could be wrong but I thought I remembered a blue or someone saying the 'balance' part of balance druid comes from balancing nature and arcane, suggesting they use both, but I may be remembering wrong.
    That was way before they really nailed down all the lore and cosmology of WC, when Wrath was still some weird green lightning. They completely changed the identity of Balance since then.

In the new cosmology, balancing Nature and Arcane doesn't even make any real sense, since they aren't conflicting powers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spiritual energy, aka HOLY,
    Spiritual energy is not holy.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Welcome to dealing with Aquamonkey. He'll cite bits and pieces from the WC Encylopedia/UVG and when you cite something else from it that is clearly not true he'll argue that he can take bits and pieces of what he wants to be true.
    Only the parts that are retconned are the parts that are retconned. You can't throw out an entire body of work just because there's a bit that changed. That's not how canon works. According to you, nothing is canon because they all have errors. Why are you even on these forums if nothing is canon?

Like I said: if it was irrelevant, they could have used Holy or Nature as a substitute.

Why not? Worship of a celestial body gives Tauren their Holy magic after all.

As I've been telling RedGamer030, there are Priests who wield other types of magic, based on the source of their powers. Why not Arcane?
    It is irrelevant to lore. It once made a difference to gameplay. It no longer does, but there's no real point to changing it, either.

Also, there's priests using Light and Shadow to do different things. They still all use the same power sources. A Mage can use Arcane magic to create fire and ice. Why shouldn't a priest be able to create fire with Holy magic?