Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Lol people thinking rape culture is some made up thing.

You precious people.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Infinity, since no matter how many you can provide they can just refuse to let you connect the dots and continue to insist they're isolated cases that don't represent the norm.
    But they don't represent the norm... if it did thousands every year wouldn't be sentenced. For every 1 example there's a 100 countering it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huulo View Post
    I'm just curious, how much evidence do I need to provide?
    You would need to prove that it is part of the culture, that is kind of the point.

I can find examples of kids in Britain playing baseball, so is baseball a part of British culture? It is not, but I can find examples, so by your reasoning it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post

You precious people.
    Since when was rape considered cool in the UK

Um I wasn't aware that 38 years, which was the oldest example, was that long ago. Really? It wasn't exactly the 19th century, and media from that time still has a significant impact on culture.
    38 years ago is huge when referring to culture. That is 10 years older than I am. 38 years ago my great grandparents were racist as fuck, 28 years ago they were upset when my mom married my dad because he was east indian, I grew up being their favourite grandchild and my dad their favourite inlaw.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Infinity, since no matter how many you can provide they can just refuse to let you connect the dots and continue to insist they're isolated cases that don't represent the norm.
    Well, I think first we need to establish that you even understand the definition of the word "culture".

You precious people.
    What about all the male rape victims and the horrible people that do it to them?
    Oh right that's not a issue I guess.

You precious people.
    Do you honestly believe we live in a society that encourages rape?

Um I wasn't aware that 38 years, which was the oldest example, was that long ago. Really? It wasn't exactly the 19th century, and media from that time still has a significant impact on culture.
    When talking about a rapidly moving culture then 38 years ago is long. 40 years ago British culture was homophobic. Now homophobia is culturally considered wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I personally don't live in one, no.

That doesn't mean there isn't any. Like some people have said.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    What about all the male rape victims and the horrible people that do it to them?
    Oh right that's not a issue I guess.
    I didn't specify my comment towards women so your response doesn't make much sense and was a bit pointless.

Brock Turner case, aside from too lenient a punishment (which other than the family - no one disputes), also proof of "no rape culture" see for example:

• Stopped by two Men
    • Campus police took her to the hospital
    • University reached out confidentially to offer her support and to tell her the steps we were taking
    • Stanford had conducted an investigation and banned Turner from setting foot on campus — as a student or otherwise
    • Turner was put through the justice system and convicted

Working as intended...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Feminists actually believe that 1 in 3 (or at least 1 in 5) of all women have been raped

They just don't live in the real world

It's like geocentrism or creationism: no matter how many times you point to the horizon or the fossils, the narrative > reality

Some people also believe lizard-overlords are real.
    Deal with it.
    There's fucked up people no matter what.

see, I had my doubts about rape culture and its existence. but... a culture where people are not taught how to give or accept consent, and think that any non-consensual act that is not outright violent - is not really rape, like they don't even realize that its non consensual? yeah... we kinda do have rape culture going on here.

its not as much a matter of condoning rape or not - ask vast majority of people and they will say - of course rape is terrible!!! but ask them what they consider rape, their definition of rape? and THAT is when it starts getting scary. we have parents who instead of teaching boys that maybe if that girl doesn't like her hair pulled - that they should stop, but instead we just laugh it off with "boys will be boys" "he just does it becasue he likes you" THAT is where it starts, folks

P.S. Brock Turner kinda IS a proof or rape culture. we are not talking legislatively, we talking about people's perceptions and believes. that there are people defending him, excusing his actions because he was drunk, his father calling it "20 minutes of action" THAT is rape culture

Yeah but when it's mentioned online it's usually regarding Europe and USA. Some people here are saying USA has a rape culture

Deleted
    A myth in the west.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakain View Post
    I hate to be that guy, but why does the formal definition exclude men as victims of 'rape culture'? I get that women are more likely to be victims of rape, but rape isn't solely a feminism issue.
    Because feminist theory is primarily from the point of view of females. It is not inclusive of male points of view necessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonvalor View Post
    Yeah but when it's mentioned online it's usually regarding Europe and USA. Some people here are saying USA has a rape culture
    Because they are silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    Some people also believe lizard-overlords are real.
    Deal with it.
    There's fucked up people no matter what.
    I have no idea what you are now talking about but thanks for responding regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    we have parents who instead of teaching boys that maybe if that girl doesn't like her hair pulled - that they should stop, but instead we just laugh it off with "boys will be boys" "he just does it becasue he likes you" THAT is where it starts, folks
    What about the girls tugging on boys?

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    see, I had my doubts about rape culture and its existence. but... a culture where people are not taught how to give or accept consent, and think that any non-consensual act that is not outright violent - is not really rape, like they don't even realize that its non consensual? yeah... we kinda do have rape culture going on here.

its not as much a matter of condoning rape or not - ask vast majority of people and they will say - of course rape is terrible!!! but ask them what they consider rape, their definition of rape? and THAT is when it starts getting scary. we have parents who instead of teaching boys that maybe if that girl doesn't like her hair pulled - that they should stop, but instead we just laugh it off with "boys will be boys" "he just does it becasue he likes you" THAT is where it starts, folks
    But rape already has a pretty strong definition