Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    hunters in vanilla weren't fun...not just mana and arrows but also burning mana in a boss fight then sitting back out of range of boss attacks and auto attacking for a minute, semi afk, while mana refilled. viper helped a lot but reducing damage by....what 15%, hurt a bit as well.
    focus was where hunter actually got interesting for me, rather than just leveling one up and getting a tier set from the first set each xpack
    never going to main a hunter but i do enjoy playing them now compared to before. still haven't spend a good amount of time learning survival, has always been mm or bm for me.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistedelmo View Post
    i started playing in tbc as well i would see skilled hunters having to line up their traps to CC a mob properly, it was interesting to me in comparison to the whole [target mob> Click a button> CC breaks > Repeat] that we have today.

Towards the end of TBC i made a hunter so i could learn to do this myself but then with wrath CC was Unnecessary
    I never found trapping in Vanilla or TBC any harder or easier than it is now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I miss EotB, pet skill learning (not the stupid talent tree), actual aspects, quivers, being asked to bring my "pullcat" (a cat with Dash and Prowl you used EotB to stealth around mobs in a dungeon), leveling my pet.

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    this seems like poor bait but i'll bite anyway.

i only started playing in tbc, but even in ssc/tk mana was almost irrelevant, i doubt i spent more than 5% of any fight swapping to viper to regen. by the time i was raiding hyjal/bt i was simply never switching to viper at all (without the bow..), and mana remained pretty freaking irrelevant all the way until it was cut in cataclysm.

focus is absolutely more interesting.
    In TBC hunters stayed in Viper while they 1 button macro spammed

I liked Hunter mana in BC and Wrath but vanilla was kinda aids with no viper.

No its not just nostalgia, I've player Hunter on BC and Wotlk private servers and like them more than focus Hunter.
    Hi Sephurik

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hisholyness View Post
    In TBC hunters stayed in Viper while they 1 button macro spammed
    This. Macro on mouse scroll button and topping dmg meters FTW.

Anyway, i did not really care if there was mana, focus or huntardness. It did not made any difference for me, though i vaguely remember being a bit concerned about the mana->focus change back then. But after playing with focus for a few minutes, i did not even noticed it.

Deleted
    Mana, running out of ammo, not being able to use Wyvern in battle and the entire art of playing a hunter boiled down to coordinating Steady Shots with Autoshots... nah, i miss nothing about the old hunter.

Class development is actually one of the things that blizz gets right most of the time.

I remember when I played one 6 Months Ago on Vanilla.

It was the worst thing I have ever played.

Deleted
    I never liked to have a mana, also if i remember in alpha hunters had focus, not mana. But i liked all stings in wrath specially.
    8yd dead zone was too much (5 in tbc was fine)
    autoshot cliping was annoying for a lot of new players
    not able to cast traps during combat and saving FD for it was crap too
    usually without the flask for 2k mana you are running oom too fast
    i liked to have a lot of unique pets - 100 to all magic resists, shadow dmg for auto attack, 100% running speed, 1.00 auto attack etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked it better with mana. I feel like we could get more abilities off before being drained.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I've played a hunter for over 10 years and I hated mana for the class. Sorry but I'm of the mind that Focus was an amazing change (even if Legion feels like a step backwards in that regard, at least for BM).
    Pretty much this. Focus was awesome. I love pre-Legion focus. I do not like focus as energy in orange.

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    Wow, couldn't be too interested in playing hunters, then. It's like saying "I could never get back into WoW after they removed throwing weapons".
    throwing weapons were cool. i guess we can't have cool things.

Quote Originally Posted by FpicEail View Post

I assume that this was your reaction when reading about mana in this thread:

I... I don't get it... Why is that my reaction to hating how Hunters played whilst using mana?

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    I... I don't get it... Why is that my reaction to hating how Hunters played whilst using mana?
    I guess it needs context. It's JonTron's sarcastic remark about platforming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYk1Obt9UGQ&t=10m15s

It's pretty much what I think of when people bring up the "good old days" for hunters, with mana and macros that did your rotation for you.

EDIT: And if anyone thinks I'm exaggerating about the single macro thing, behold:

https://www.worldofcorecraft.com/con...ter-2332-macro
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acO_umcI6xQ&t=1m36s

People complain that hunters are too simplistic now, but you LITERALLY spammed 1 button in BC: a castsequence macro for steady shot and auto shot. And steady shot couldn't be cast while moving. So you were pretty much no different from the casters. It is mind boggling how anyone can honestly prefer that style over what we have now.
    Last edited by Bepples; 2016-06-19 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FpicEail View Post
    I guess it needs context. It's JonTron's sarcastic remark about platforming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYk1Obt9UGQ&t=10m15s

It's pretty much what I think of when people bring up the "good old days" for hunters, with mana and macros that did your rotation for you.

EDIT: And if anyone thinks I'm exaggerating about the single macro thing, behold:

https://www.worldofcorecraft.com/con...ter-2332-macro
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acO_umcI6xQ&t=1m36s

People complain that hunters are too simplistic now, but you LITERALLY spammed 1 button in BC: a castsequence macro for steady shot and auto shot. And steady shot couldn't be cast while moving. So you were pretty much no different from the casters. It is mind boggling how anyone can honestly prefer that style over what we have now.
    Oh, so we're saying the same thing? Vanilla Hunters = teh sux

Sarcasm and the like just doesn't always translate I guess.

Played my hunter from right before BC-Cata. Played a bit in MoP and took WoD off, and now returning for Legion.

Focus feels so so much better than mana. I'd rather have to pop off a few cobra shots then sit in aspect of the viper for any amount of time. Mana regen before Viper was just cringe worthy. Chain chugging mana pots like a mage or using FD to get out of combat and drink

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    hunters in vanilla weren't fun...not just mana and arrows but also burning mana in a boss fight then sitting back out of range of boss attacks and auto attacking for a minute, semi afk, while mana refilled. viper helped a lot but reducing damage by....what 15%, hurt a bit as well.
    focus was where hunter actually got interesting for me, rather than just leveling one up and getting a tier set from the first set each xpack
    never going to main a hunter but i do enjoy playing them now compared to before. still haven't spend a good amount of time learning survival, has always been mm or bm for me.
    Yea but we was so much involved in tactics some bosses was extremly hard w/o hunters in raid.Now that era officially ends in Legion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dwthrust View Post
    I think mana was ultimiately a good thing for hunters back in the day. do you guys like the change?
    I have been playing a Hunter as an alt since vanilla, I immediately began to dislike Hunter when focus was added... Whether that dislike was because of focus or the other changes that happened at the same time, I don't know... But I do know I haven't liked it since, which leads me to believe it's because of focus.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Hunters who say we had infinite mana and the like didn't raid much. There was a time period we would have to switch to Aspect of the Viper and deal 50% less damage for the duration to regen mana unless we had a shadow priest in the group. I'll take focus regen anyday and I've been raiding since Vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Belichick View Post
    Hunters who say we had infinite mana and the like didn't raid much. There was a time period we would have to switch to Aspect of the Viper and deal 50% less damage for the duration to regen mana unless we had a shadow priest in the group. I'll take focus regen anyday and I've been raiding since Vanilla.
    We didn't even have viper back in my day. End up just sittin there and auto shot for hours.