Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The US military needs to keep their personnel under check so they don't commit crime or they can get out
    They need to stop covering them too when they commit crimes
    Last edited by Hana Song; 2016-06-19 at 03:30 PM.

who gives a shit what they want? we're there, we're not leaving, they can just deal with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    who gives a shit what they want? we're there, we're not leaving, they can just deal with it.
    Yeah, that was helpful now.

You're there as a peace corp, not an occupant.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Really trying to force the stereotype, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Yeah, that was helpful now.

You're there as a peace corp, not an occupant.
    lol i know. inflammatory article deserves an equally inflammatory response

Quote Originally Posted by Uglytoes View Post
    1. The majority of protesters are paid protesters.
    I am sorry but allow me to have my objections on this claim unless you somehow provide us with some proofs.
    This is what every totalitarian regime says to justify when they send in the police to fuck up the protesters (see Turkey for example).

Quote Originally Posted by Hana Song View Post
    The US military needs to keep their personnel under check so they don't commit crime or they can get out
    Again, this protest was about a FORMER service member. Do you know that every Friday they brief us to drink responsibly, don't drink and drive, if you see something say something, etc. We have sexual assault and alcohol training almost monthly. No amount of training is going to prevent stupid people from doing stupid shit. They have 18-20 year old kids here, living on their own for the first time, away from family, people away from their husband/wife, their kids, constantly restricted, there are numerous pressures that people succumb to out here and there will always be one turd to commit a horrific crime with the number of people out here.

Again, this protest was about a FORMER service member. Do you know that every Friday they brief us to drink responsibly, don't drink and drive, if you see something say something, etc. We have sexual assault and alcohol training almost monthly. No amount of training is going to prevent stupid people from doing stupid shit. They have 18-20 year old kids here, living on their own for the first time, away from family, people away from their husband/wife, their kids, constantly restricted, there are numerous pressures that people succumb to out here and there will always be one turd to commit a horrific crime with the number of people out here.
    Okay, so what?

10+ Year Old Account
    lol i know. inflammatory article deserves an equally inflammatory response
    What inflammatory article is there in this thread?
    Everything posted comes from respected credible US news outlets.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    I am sorry but allow me to have my objections on this claim unless you somehow provide us with some proofs.
    This is what every totalitarian regime says to justify when they send in the police to fuck up the protesters (see Turkey for example).
    Our gate guards are Okinawan and have told us that the protesters are sponsored by several interest groups. Many people here are poor. They don't give a shit if we stay or not, but if someone is willing to pay them to hold up a sign that says "No U.S. bases", you better believe they'll do it. From 7-10 outside the gate, every day.

Okay, so what?
    Great reply, lots of content.
    Last edited by Uglytoes; 2016-06-19 at 03:40 PM.

I don't think they understand the show of force that we represent to the Pacific by being here.
    That's just it though, right? Nobody likes seeing their home exploited for the sake of geopolitical posturing, especially since, as you pointed out, Okinawans are not ethnically Japanese and probably resent having to serve as human shields for the Japanese in case of attack.

Great reply, lots of content.
    I don't need any great replies about us army in other countries, they should get out if they can't keep their personnel under check

They need to stop covering them too when they commit crimes
    It's almost like there's a strict and punishing justice system in place in the US Military that ends careers and puts people in federal prisons for engaging in criminal activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelraxx View Post
    It's almost like there's a strict and punishing justice system in place in the US Military that ends careers and puts people in federal prisons for engaging in criminal activity.
    No there isn't, they cover for them

7+ Year Old Account
    they should get out if they can't keep their personnel under check
    When you have thousands of males, you`re bound to have a rapist or an individual with criminal-tendencies in that crowd.
    That`s the reality we live in.

Some relevant information, take it for what it is.

On February 12, 2008, the National Police Agency (of Japan) or NPA, released its annual criminal statistics that included activity within the Okinawan prefecture. These findings held American troops were only convicted of 53 crimes per 10,000 U.S. male servicemen, while Okinawan males were convicted of 366 crimes per 10,000. The crime rate found a U.S. serviceman in Okinawa to be 86% less likely to convicted of a crime by the Japanese government than an Okinawan male
    -
    While 73.4% of Japanese citizens appreciate the mutual security treaty with the U.S. and the presence of the USFJ, a small but very vocal portion of the population demand a reduction in the number of U.S. military bases presence.

In May 2010, a survey of the Okinawan people conducted by Mainichi Shimbun and Ryukyu shimpo, found that 71% of Okinawans surveyed thought that the presence of Marines on Okinawa was not necessary. 15% said it was necessary. Asked what they thought about 62% of United States Forces Japan bases (exclusive use) being concentrated in Okinawa, 50% said that the number should be reduced, 41% said that the bases should be removed. Asked about the US-Japan security treaty, 55% said it should be changed to a peace treaty, 14% said it should be abolished and 7% said it should be maintained.

Our gate guards are Okinawan and have told us that the protesters are sponsored by several interest groups. Many people here are poor. They don't give a shit if we stay or not, but if someone is willing to pay them to hold up a sign that says "No U.S. bases", you better believe they'll do it. From 7-10 outside the gate, every day.
    It's much the same in South Korea, Germany, Italy and any other nation hosting a US Military base. Private groups subsidizing impoverished people to protest under the guise of national interest to push US Forces out so they can move in.

You watch too many movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelraxx View Post
    You watch too many movies.
    No, I live in south korea and the military covers for their personnel when they do crime
    They don't get prosecuted by us even why should we trust them that they don't cover for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Well, if Trump is elected we may very well pull out. In my opinion we should. It is time for Japan to do their own defense.
    I agree with this, I also think that the US should pull out of pretty much every country. Quite a few countries don't even want us there. Let them handle their own issues.

Lol no they do not. I was stationed in japan, kuwait, and recently japan again. The only people who they "cover for" are a very few select elite. And they dont cause crimes to begin with (usually ), so...

No, I live in south korea and the military covers for their personnel when they do crime
    I did 4 rotations through South Korea. You're extremely misinformed if you think people get away with rape, murder, or vehicular manslaughter.