Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Muslim man is angry for people drinking during Ramadan while making homoerotic demands that he will fuck them in the ass?
    A lot of religious people secretly enjoy sodomy

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    The perspective of those violent Muslims should not be taken into consideration, they broke the law and will hopefully be punished to the fullest extent of it.

They should in fact be made an example of, so that Turkey can show the world that it is a secular nation which will not tolerate such actions in the name of any religion.
    So long as the current government is in control Turkey will never be secularist and I don't think that's a bad thing either. No country should be made to deny it's faith for the sake of appeasing Western sensibilities (Turkey is very eager to become a part of the EU which is not gonna happen lol).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    How hard is it to blame radicals instead of generalizing an entire religion?
    There are too many radical Muslims.

But but if we disarm everyone then they will magically go away.

Or something to that effect.

Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    So long as the current government is in control Turkey will never be secularist and I don't think that's a bad thing either. No country should be made to deny it's faith for the sake of appeasing Western sensibilities (Turkey is very eager to become a part of the EU which is not gonna happen lol).
    People drinking beer.. how terrible!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    This is sig worthy.
    We should collect the dumbest and most ridiculous statements of mmo-champ and make a compilation each year.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethanie View Post
    I thought being tolerant of other peoples views was supposed to be considered a good thing, even if you don't agree with those views. Calling other people irrational just because you don't agree with them and consider their beliefs to mere superstition is actually very intolerant, and getting very close to being hateful.
    Being tolerant of other views doesn't mean you have to think they're rational. Rationality has a lot to do with logic, and not every view is logical, so not every view is rational.

You should be able to believe whatever you want, but you have no right not to have your view judged on it's merits.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethanie View Post
    I thought being tolerant of other peoples views was supposed to be considered a good thing, even if you don't agree with those views.
    Western culture is tolerant of superstitious views for the most part. The majority of our societies hold to such as well. One has the right in most nations to believe whatever they like.

The quality of belief is up for debate in appropriate outlets, however.

Calling other people irrational just because you don't agree with them and consider their beliefs to mere superstition is actually very intolerant, and getting very close to being hateful.
    Not at all. One would have to suppose the actions seen in the video and outlined in the article are rational outcomes independent of belief. Which they do not seem to be based on reportage and video footage.

It is not hateful to state black cats bring bad luck if they cross one's path is an irrational belief. Though that is not the content of my post- I specifically said, superstitions act as an avenue for irrationality.

That is quite different from what you are attempting to suggest and within the outline of this topic and forum. If what you intend is to demean, marginalize or insult is religion, religious practitioners, culture and so forth- that can be bigoted and hateful. Which is not constructive to any argument one may wish to make here.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2016-06-20 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    There are too many radical Muslims.

But but if we disarm everyone then they will magically go away.

Or something to that effect.

Right?
    What % of muslims are radical

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    People drinking beer.. how terrible!
    Turkey is a nation that that does not promote alcohol consumption but sells it, a country that has a problem with western habits but allows them...... maybe they shouldn't sell alcohol during Ramadan.

The law is aimed at protecting Turkey's youngsters from the dangers of alcohol. Most people do not drink in Turkey, which despite its secular system remains a deeply religious country.

How many drink related crimes/deaths happen in the West? I would welcome such a law that prohibits alcohol selling/consumption to young people under 24

Quote Originally Posted by StarGazer91 View Post
    It seems everyday we hear more and more about some muslim people doing some nasty shit to other people over nothing. Absolutely there are good muslims out there, but they are being spoiled by the bad apples. And with that said, I don't ever hear all that much on muslims condemning muslims.
    That's because of selective media. They don't report when muslims donate to charity or take care of refugees or help feed the homeless and so on. It's only in the news when some crazy muslims individuals decided to fuck shit up again.

Same goes for the condemning of these attacks by other muslims. Plenty of muslims condemn terror attacks. Most muslims hate ISIS. But you don't hear about that, because it's not noteworthy for the news. That being said, why are they being associated with these acts of terror to begin with? Do white Americans constantly walk around condemning the mass genocide on Native Americans? No, because why would they? They're not responsible for it and had no say in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by StarGazer91 View Post
    I give Christians, Catholics, Protestants, religion in general the same view. Stop injuring people just because they don't follow your beliefs.

This is why I believe all Religions should be outlawed. Religion causes nothing but fucking trouble, especially in this day and age.
    This is just flat out wrong as well. Like I mentioned above, the news doesn't mention it when someone donates to charity out of religious motives, or when they help people out of religious motives in general. Religion drives plenty of people to do good stuff around the world. Yes, it drives a few people to do bad stuff as well. That goes for everything in the world though. I am a supporter of animal rights and animal rights are a noble cause right? But there are also some idiots who take animal rights too far and turn it into something bad by physically attacking people and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    This guy gets it. Peoples personal beliefs are totally sacred and can never be questioned! No matter how hateful or how much damage cause other people, we should in no way be "hateful" towards them! We should not blame the reason for why these people did the act, but simply respect that smashing up someones shop is okay, if you have a religious reason to do so, and to say otherwise is hateful.
    You're just being an idiot. Nobody is saying that we shouldn't condemn what the guys in the OP did. People are saying you cannot blame all muslims or Islam for what they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Zia View Post
    Turkey is the new Iran. Or perhaps Bangladesh...

I have been planning to go to Turkey for a vacation towards the end of this summer and have been following it in the news, but given the absolute nut-job and dickhead president and islamic terrorists assaulting people for drinking alcohol in a record store (wtf) and then the police beating up normal people who protest against islamic attacks (WTF!!) instead of catching islamic terrorists, it's just too dangerous and the government is acting in cahoots with islamic terrorists. What kind of goverment and police force would condone attackers and instead tear-gas innocent protesters who only want a peaceful living without the terror of beatings for drinking alcohol or even having a meal during the month of ramadan? It is unbelieveable, I think turkish government is unhinged and is a lawless sectarian oligarchy.

I will not be going there for vacation this year, that's for sure.
    I am in Turkey on a regular basis and it's hilarious to see you think that you would somehow be at risk there. Especially if you are going on a holiday which might imply that you're going to the coastal areas with the resorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    You would be crazy to go there. I bet it is cheap to travel to though. The tourism to that country has basically fallen off a cliff. Spend your money in a peaceful country to promote peace, don't give those violent people any money.
    Yes, I'm sure all those people who organize tours and sightseeings are violent fanatics who love to harm people. Better not give them any money that funds their violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorio View Post
    I highly doubt turks are capable of understanding what secular means.

They have state-controlled, tax-funded religion. It is an almost-theocracy where the president (soon to be president-for-life) citing verses from qoran and telling women to have at least 3 kids and stay home.
    Lol, Turkey has a history of hardcore secularism that goes much further than secularism in most Western European countries. Turks know about secularism, don't worry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonvalor View Post
    If radical just means "extreme" in beliefs the large majority (60-80%) would be radicals. I'd argue it's things like the death penalty for apostates that should be used as a marker for radical Islam, which means approximately 10-20% of SE Europe and Central Asian, and 40-80% in other countries (out of those favouring sharia). Or combine those who believe Sharia should be the laws of the country with those who believe Sharia should apply to both muslim and non-muslim - ranging around 30-50% approx. (just one example, 36% of Indonesian muslims believe sharia should apply to non-muslims).
    Last edited by Kraenen; 2016-06-19 at 04:47 PM.

Deleted
    Considering that we hear about Muslim extremists killing people, or burning them alive, or beheading them, or creating theocracies that keep them in the 12th century etc all the time,

I'd wager even a small percentage of 1.5 billion people is enough to cause us significant trouble.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you condone vicious hate crimes, but only if done in non-Western nations? Say in a country like Ethiopia, which is majority Christian, it would be okay for Christians there to attack Muslims if they believed the Muslims had done something offensive to Christianity?

Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    Considering that we hear about Muslim extremists killing people, or burning them alive, or beheading them, or creating theocracies that keep them in the 12th century etc all the time,

I'd wager even a small percentage of 1.5 billion people is enough to cause us significant trouble.
    So that warrants illogical generalizations?

Quote Originally Posted by Lesane View Post
    You're just being an idiot. Nobody is saying that we shouldn't condemn what the guys in the OP did. People are saying you cannot blame all muslims or Islam for what they did.
    I don't think anyone is blaming all muslims, but the ideology of Islam certainly does have a part of the blame. The culture, mindset and worldview of the people in this case has been heavily influenced by Islam and the government in Turkey which is very much based on religious teachings (like most countries in the world). Where did they get the idea that drinking beer was bad during the Ramadan? Where did they get the idea of the Ramadan to begin with? Most muslims are never doing anything insane like these people (heck there are 1.6 billion of them, if they were it would be insane), but criticizing the ideology is not that same as blaming all muslims.

"I'll fuck you in the ass!"

Another repressed individual losing their minds.

Deleted
    So that warrants illogical generalizations?
    I'm not generalizing. I'm saying there are too many radical Muslims.

What would Sargeras do I wonder?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    So nuke everyone who was listening to Radiohead too?
    That doesn't actually sound too bad.

This store was playing loud music in the holy month of Ramadan which is not fair on pious Muslim citizens in the region that are prohibited from listening to Music especially when they are fasting. The shop keeper and his customers should have been more mindful. The anger from the instigators is something I can understand because Western influence is hard to escape already without being hounded by loud music when you go to the shops to buy food to prepare for when you break your fast. Have you even considered the perspective of the 'violent' muslims?
    I mean, in some countries they have laws and police officers to handle disputes between citizens peacefully. Your notion that it is proper to take the law in to your own hands is misguided.

Quote Originally Posted by whyabadi View Post
    There are atheists in the middle east. Like me for example.
    You will be dying for a noble cause