Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    People don't typically respond well to wannabe leaders and unsolicited advice. It's quite normal. It's been this way for tens of thousands of years. It's in our genes.

Because there's a difference between having fun and doing what is strategically best to assure victory. It's not so much the players fault for wanting to have some fun. It's really one of the things Blizzard should have copied more from TF2. You can play whatever class you find most fun in that game and still contribute just as much to winning.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing that I find annoying is when people don't seem to realize how capture points work, especially with overtime. Standing back and dodging back and forth tossing shots at the enemy 20 yards from the payload is not resetting overtime. If you can duck in there without dying immediately, do so. Keep overtime trucking so everyone can get back. You don't have to SIT there, just trigger it for a second every 10 seconds or so.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The only thing that I find annoying is when people don't seem to realize how capture points work, especially with overtime. Standing back and dodging back and forth tossing shots at the enemy 20 yards from the payload is not resetting overtime. If you can duck in there without dying immediately, do so. Keep overtime trucking so everyone can get back. You don't have to SIT there, just trigger it for a second every 10 seconds or so.
    This is very true, but as a flip side, so often the entire rest of the team dies, and you are then facing several enemies in the checkpoint, and trying to pick off at least one or two from afar to even entertain the thought of getting there, when the alternative is that you won't even get into the square before you're dead. So, whether you stay alive and don't get into the square, or die trying to get into the square, either way you can't possibly reset the overtime, and then there's always 1-2 assholes in the team piling on you how you're a dumb shit for not resetting it.

Especially when the run from those dead team members is way too long for them to get there even if you kamikaze into the square and reset it for a second. So yeah, it's not always about not knowing how to reset the overtime, but working as hard as you can to get to a point where you can even do that.

But you are right, of course, there are situations where people don't even think of going into the objective.

well these kids will fuck off when there yearly COD comes out in november
    Or return to WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    This is very true, but as a flip side, so often the entire rest of the team dies, and you are then facing several enemies in the checkpoint, and trying to pick off at least one or two from afar to even entertain the thought of getting there, when the alternative is that you won't even get into the square before you're dead. So, whether you stay alive and don't get into the square, or die trying to get into the square, either way you can't possibly reset the overtime, and then there's always 1-2 assholes in the team piling on you how you're a dumb shit for not resetting it.
    While that's sometimes true, I've had a few games just today where there's 5 of us running back to the payload, and there's Soldier 76 20 yards from it taking potshots at the enemy Hanzo who's way the hell over the far side, ducking side to side to dodge arrows. No other enemies. We didn't reach the payload in time. If he'd just used the payload as cover, we had a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Regalbeast View Post
    Let's face it, most people have no clue how to play this game. It's a new game so that's understandable. Do I tell them that? No. I try to be nice in game so people don't troll.

But the reality is that most people aren't actively trying to get better at the game. They play their "favorite" hero and never switch. In fact, hero switching is something that most players really need to accept and work on. When I say, "Hey, I'm a healer so I can't switch but can someone counter that Bastion (or Widow, etc)" most people are like "you switch" or "stfu". Same thing goes with when I'm a support and ask the team to pick a tank, most people start flaming away or trolling.

Man, I sure do have a love/hate relationship with this game. I'm currently on a 10 game losing streak. I usually have at least 3 gold medals (not trying to toot my own horn) so I'm trying my best and playing well, but it's so frustrating because the game seems to be full of 90% incompetent people.
    You pushed a button to get a random group and you got a random group of people with random skill? Working as advertised. You want better, make a group of your own.
    It isn't a 'best of the best' button, it is a random group button. Don't blame the button, blame yourself for not playing with at least 1 person who has skills.

Deleted
    While that's sometimes true, I've had a few games just today where there's 5 of us running back to the payload, and there's Soldier 76 20 yards from it taking potshots at the enemy Hanzo who's way the hell over the far side, ducking side to side to dodge arrows. No other enemies. We didn't reach the payload in time. If he'd just used the payload as cover, we had a shot.
    Yeah, I've had similar situations somewhat recently as well. It definitely happens, I hear ya.

I had someone tell me we had no builder on an offensive map. I had a Hanzo tell me that if he switches to tank, someone else needs to switch to sniper. Some people really don't know what is up. Anyhow, for everyone that plays a healer or tank, know that in a quickplay game, you don't actually need to have them to win usually. Once you see the enemy team comp, take a look, if they lack Soldier and Widow, you are free to wreck them with Pharah. If they have Reaper, Tracer, Lucio, etc, you can slaughter them with McCree. If they got two tanks, you can bust out Reaper and kill them. Often times, it is better to counter them yourself than to stick with a healer. Someone else may go healer instead too. But if you can find the character that can counter half of the enemy cast, you can sometimes help the game more than by playing a healer.

Deleted
    It's a simple matter of how Social Matters are percieved.

Saying to someone that they need to switch, would imply responsibility and partially, fault.

Thus, you, telling someone, even if nicely - Some people, will assume that to be "You are the source of the issue, please fix this".

Which, obviously, goes against the self-biased mind of someone playing with the mindset of "I am the Best" OR "I don't give a shit".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    It's a simple matter of how Social Matters are percieved.

Saying to someone that they need to switch, would imply responsibility and partially, fault.

Thus, you, telling someone, even if nicely - Some people, will assume that to be "You are the source of the issue, please fix this".

Which, obviously, goes against the self-biased mind of someone playing with the mindset of "I am the Best" OR "I don't give a shit".
    On that kind of note, the one thing I have zero patience for in Overwatch are the people saying "we need a healer/tank". This is largely because I have zero issue playing either, and will automatically fill that role out if we need it, so when I see someone playing a McCree or Reaper say this? Just no. YOU noticed the need. Swap yourself. If you're not willing to, you've got no business expecting anyone else to.

My willingness to do so means if I'm already playing tank or healer, and I've got nobody else filling that role, I WILL point it out. Happens really rarely. But I don't try and tell anyone to switch; I mention we've got no healer, and leave it at that. If nobody listens, I'll eat the loss and/or go Roadhog so I can self-heal while tanking, at least; I'm not going to spend the match whining about it and ruining 5 other people's game.

I run into this SUPER rarely, though. I probably heal or tank about half the games I play in, because the rest, both roles get filled by someone else.

I've come across people that don't even accept facts, so I'm not expecting advice to get through to them.

Just yesterday had a conversation that went like this

Teammate- "Mei needs a nerf, so cancerous, they nerfed her only counter McCree and now he can't kill her"
    Me- "Yes he can, he just can't kill tanks easily now"
    Teammate- "no, hang yourself Mei (to the other team)"
    Me- "Flashbang+Fan still does over 200 damage"
    Teammate- "no, it does like nothing"
    Me- "Fan the Hammer does 45 damage a shot, with 6 shots"

Teammate leaves the game.

Mind you, they weren't even playing McCree to "counter Mei".

On that kind of note, the one thing I have zero patience for in Overwatch are the people saying "we need a healer/tank". This is largely because I have zero issue playing either, and will automatically fill that role out if we need it, so when I see someone playing a McCree or Reaper say this? Just no. YOU noticed the need. Swap yourself. If you're not willing to, you've got no business expecting anyone else to.

My willingness to do so means if I'm already playing tank or healer, and I've got nobody else filling that role, I WILL point it out. Happens really rarely. But I don't try and tell anyone to switch; I mention we've got no healer, and leave it at that. If nobody listens, I'll eat the loss and/or go Roadhog so I can self-heal while tanking, at least; I'm not going to spend the match whining about it and ruining 5 other people's game.

I run into this SUPER rarely, though. I probably heal or tank about half the games I play in, because the rest, both roles get filled by someone else.
    Oh, just noticed this.

What I usually do is just the chat wheel "I need healing!" and leave it at that personally.

Although the other day I outhealed a Lucio as Roadhog...so I think I lost faith now.
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2016-06-20 at 02:16 AM.

Deleted

Well, you are a noble soul, Endus. :P

Though, in my experience, people who are prone to complain about a situation, are putting more energy into channeling their frustrations regarding the situation, rather than actually solving the problem.

Like you say, they could switch. Pretty easily, fact is. And they are aware of that there is an issue. They just don't really seek to solve the problem, as far as i see it. :P

Hopefully competetive play will fix this im really enjoying the game. I badly need a competetive part of any game to enjoy it sadly i didnt give up on cs go until legendary eagle same with wow back in wotlk i wanted world first only got to nr 19 yogg kill i then gave up. This is a blessing and a curse its not fun at all getting angry of people in lfr for poping hero at wrong times fucking up ny dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had someone make a comment about how people who use Q as their ult button should find another game. So I simply asked him what button he used instead, which apparently counted as me being salty about...somthing I guess. Unfortunately some people just think they're hot shit and nothing can really change that, especially in a FPS where you have team members you can always pin the blame on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Regalbeast View Post
    Let's face it, most people have no clue how to play this game. It's a new game so that's understandable. Do I tell them that? No. I try to be nice in game so people don't troll.

But the reality is that most people aren't actively trying to get better at the game. They play their "favorite" hero and never switch. In fact, hero switching is something that most players really need to accept and work on. When I say, "Hey, I'm a healer so I can't switch but can someone counter that Bastion (or Widow, etc)" most people are like "you switch" or "stfu". Same thing goes with when I'm a support and ask the team to pick a tank, most people start flaming away or trolling.

Man, I sure do have a love/hate relationship with this game. I'm currently on a 10 game losing streak. I usually have at least 3 gold medals (not trying to toot my own horn) so I'm trying my best and playing well, but it's so frustrating because the game seems to be full of 90% incompetent people.
    A: unless you've fought against the majority of 10 million-ish people, you don't have a clue what 'most' people can or can't do in the game. Check the hyperbole at the door next time.

B: give advice when you're asked for it. Doing otherwise isn't advice, and makes you sound like an ass, which peoples' reactions should have already clued you in on. You're being told 'stfu' for a reason.

C: unless you're paying for other peoples' copies of the game, you have no business telling them how to play or who to use. If I want to play Tracer until her face is burned into my HDTV, that's 100% my business and exactly 0% yours.

If you're so great at Overwatch, find yourself some like-minded 3-gold-medal types and play with them.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    A: unless you've fought against the majority of 10 million-ish people, you don't have a clue what 'most' people can or can't do in the game. Check the hyperbole at the door next time.
    Also, just for fun; note how matchmaking rating tends to work.

If you keep queueing with people who seem clueless, maybe you're just not as good as you think? Lord knows I see people complain here about stuff they see "all the time", and I next to never see it. Which isn't me claiming to be awesome; I'm pretty average. But it's pretty rare for me to run into a team that seems totally clueless. Outmatched? Sure. Clueless? Nah.

I'm so with you on this, I tend to end up defaulting to either healer or tank if we're missing one. <_<

I was doing some games with a lowbie friend and on a Gibraltar attack, friend went Mercy and I went Reinhardt. We also had a Hanzo and a Pharah. After the first checkpoint just as you come up the hill, we kept getting wrecked by a Bastion who'd found semi-clever placement up on the containers to the left. I asked that people keep an eye out for him and try to deal with him, detailing where he was. Another person went Pharah. Still wrecked by Bastion. Not until I switched to a third Pharah, went up the tower stairs, noted that he was peeking out just enough for me to plant a bunch of rockets in and proceeded to do so did we actually pass that corner. Unfortunately I switched a bit too late for us to be able to push on from there and we lost the game. =/
    Last edited by Perfectdoll; 2016-06-20 at 09:01 AM.

So, let me frame this for you a different way with a different game.

You're playing a Moba, let's say League. Your team picks some basal picks, their team clearly picks for sieging. You have an option: Do you pick to counter your lane, counter their comp or do you pick what you're most competent on? If you're a god tier Annie, but Annie is hard countered by their team and doesn't benefit your team very much...do you still play Annie? What if you're a challenger level annie but a gold level everything else?

I'm not the best, but I'm a pretty good Tracer, Junkrat and Reaper, I'm a fairly average Torbjorn, and an okay reinhardt. Let's say we get into a game and I need to be damage...and their team is something like 3 pharahs. I could pick Soldier, Hanzo or Widowmaker - but I'm *god awful* at them. This is my first FPS - mouse accuracy just isn't my strong suit, especially coming from tab targetting of WoW and no mouse of FFXI.

So what do I do? I play Reaper. He's not that good against pharah, but Junkrat's even worse. I do my best, knowing I'm not the best pick for my team.

Now then, let me ask you. Which would you rather have - a competent Reaper or a sub-20% scoped accuracy Widow or sub-30% accuracy Hanzo?

I'm not one to shoot down advice in-game. I'm always pretty open to suggestions. As I said, this is my first FPS so I'm not nearly as good as the people who literally have thousands upon thousands of hours in CoD/MW/Halo/TF2/etc. That being said, if someone's a dick about it - right click & avoid this player.
    Last edited by Yoshimiko; 2016-06-20 at 09:08 AM.

Just like in mobas I assume that everyone else in my team is a moron before they actually do anything to prove themselves.
    But really I'm all for people playing whatever they want in quick play, some people take that shit way too seriously tho.

I myself play mainly supports and I really can't bother switching to another hero just to counter that Bastion or Widow.
    Hope that people can move past the cancerous maining one character thing when ranked comes.
    Hi