Thread: Gtx 1080

Page 86 of 103 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    1. They do not, pascal has some great improvements in DX12, just check any 1070 review. The 1070 is roughly as powerful as a 980ti in DX11 but gains around 20% in Ashes with Async enabled.

2. Very similar yes, just like how Maxwell was very similar to Keplar. But the chips do have key differences.

3. The card has had more supplied to retail then the previous 2 generations, the lack of stock is due to how insanely popular both are.
    2. We have a real Pascal card on the pro side. Between Maxwell and Real Pascal, this faux Pascal almost entirely resembles the Maxwell rather than Pascal.

3. Citation for the card's supply?

I need to build a new PC but I'm stuck with a choice between overpriced current GPUs or decent but still expensive old GPUs :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    2. We have a real Pascal card on the pro side. Between Maxwell and Real Pascal, this faux Pascal almost entirely resembles the Maxwell rather than Pascal.

3. Citation for the card's supply?
    1. No, the GeForce 1080 is basically a smaller version of the full GP100 chip, but it is still the same fundamental architecture, just like the GeForce 980 is a smaller chip then the full Titan. The GP100 doesn't have gaming related features that GeForce 1080 does not. Other then HBM, but that is just the memory system.

2. http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-success/

1. No, the GeForce 1080 is basically a smaller version of the full GP100 chip, but it is still the same fundamental architecture, just like the GeForce 980 is a smaller chip then the full Titan. The GP100 doesn't have gaming related features that GeForce 1080 does not. Other then HBM, but that is just the memory system.
    I'm not really here to bother arguing over it, since this is something that seems to never go anywhere beyond just bickering back and forth. So... whatever. Whatever floats your boat, if I'll be frank.

I'd be skeptical of the source of the source, as it were, as it is simply:
    Our multiple sources close to AIB partners

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I'm not really here to bother arguing over it, since this is something that seems to never go anywhere beyond just bickering back and forth. So... whatever. Whatever floats your boat, if I'll be frank.

I'd be skeptical of the source of the source, as it were, as it is simply:
    If you have any evidence or sources to back up your statement that the Geforce 1080 is not truly a 'real' Pascal chip I'd be interested to see them. Also we have no sources stating that the stock shortage is due to bad supply either.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you have any evidence or sources to back up your statement that the Geforce 1080 is not truly a 'real' Pascal chip I'd be interested to see them. Also we have no sources stating that the stock shortage is due to bad supply either.
    You can do so by simply seeing the "Pascal GP104" building blocks and compare them to Maxwell GM200.
    You will see that they are ALMOST identical to each other.

Then if you look at GP100 (which is the real Pascal) you can see that they are radically different from each other.

The simple point here is that GP104 is nothing more than a technologically refined GM200 and the only gains were gotten from core speed.
    Every reviewer that dove into it repeats the same thing, this doesn't mean the card sucks ass it just means it's an evolution only rather than revolution.
    There are architectural changes which benefit the architecture more properly but no real enhancements.

Also I didn't see a 20% gain when enabling Async Compute in AotS for either 1070 or 1080, I'd like a comparison source on that.

Deleted
    That's true. However, it's more than a little strange that the supply still hasn't increased to such a degree nearly a month out from the retail launch that people can perform a functionally-identical manouvre to scalping on these cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    It's smart, I don't see what's wrong with it.
    That's not smart, it's just a basic, opportunistic, "dickish" move that does not add any value for the increased cost. It's not smart because any monkey can do it. However nobody is forcing anyone to buy those cards, people are impatient and they pay for it, whatever.

1. They do not, pascal has some great improvements in DX12, just check any 1070 review. The 1070 is roughly as powerful as a 980ti in DX11 but gains around 20% in Ashes with Async enabled.

2. Very similar yes, just like how Maxwell was very similar to Keplar. But the chips do have key differences.

3. The card has had more supplied to retail then the previous 2 generations, the lack of stock is due to how insanely popular both are.
    The only reason it has better DX12 performance is because of the only real thing they added to it, a scheduler. Now, instead of game devs having to guess and code their games in a certain way to be optimized for nVidia hardware, it has a scheduler and devs can let that handle it. This is something AMD has had in their GPUs since the 7xxx series.

Insanely popular? They are not that popular, they are the high end cards that a very small portion of the market even considers buying. They appear popular, because they are out of stock, but that's because the supply is very low. It may be more than previous generations, but it's still less than the demand, which is very low.

Credit where credit is due: The x70 cards (GTX 670 and GTX 970 most notably) have been extremely popular alone, garnering 5% of the market. Very few other individual cards hold that much marketshare.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Is there any visual graph covering the performance leap from 970 to 980ti to 1070 to 1080? Would help a lot in deciding which of the two to go for.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Nvidia market share. Insanely popular obviously means with the people who buy these things. All evidence points to Nvidia gpu's being insanely popular and these cards are a decent step forward for them. Sorry that AMD is so far behind, but that's the way it is. People can talk about async performance and schedulers all they like but the public is clearly not swayed solely by such things(currently at least).
    Yes, nVidia as a whole is more popular, no debate about that. But cards >$300 are not anywhere near popular. Cards <$300 are popular. This has nothing to do with who makes it, just how expensive it is. Cards over $300 make up what, ~15% of the market? 15% is insanely popular?

So i've been testing out the msi gaming x and without using the "app" the boost does only go up to ~1736mhz, if you do it with installing the app the OC mode goes up to ~1936mhz. Or you can just OC straight up and ignore the app all together. I've got it at 2025mhz atm with no issues and tomorrow i'll see how far it goes.

10+ Year Old Account
    At 1080p, it does gain 20%. At 1440p, the gains are a few frames, and at 4k it's nearly nothing. BTW, Fury X is nearly as fast as a 1080. Off by 1 frame. Just thought that was interesting.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1182-...070/page4.html

Key differences, yes. But a lot less of those in Pascal. If I didn't tell you which die photo was for Maxwell or Pascal, you couldn't tell. Obviously the Titan X has more Cuda cores than the 1080, but the 1080 makes up for that in clock speed. Hence why I say the 16nm FinFET is carrying the 1080/1070's.

Kepler 780 Ti die photo.
    http://images.anandtech.com/doci/749...ram_FINAL2.png

Titan X Maxwell die photo.
    http://images.anandtech.com/doci/905...gram_FINAL.png

1080 Pascal die photo.
    http://images.anandtech.com/doci/103...gram_FINAL.png
    Wishful thinking? Guess we'll have to wait for official sale numbers.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2016-06-23 at 04:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    GP100 = actual Pascal
    GP104 = Tweaked GM200 built on 16nm TSMC Finfet

Deleted
    For what little it is worth, then TechPowerUp has a WoW benchmark, pitting the most popular graphics cards against each other at various resolutions. This is the with the FE 1080 and unfortunately no 1070 numbers in there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    You can do so by simply seeing the "Pascal GP104" building blocks and compare them to Maxwell GM200.
    You will see that they are ALMOST identical to each other.

Then if you look at GP100 (which is the real Pascal) you can see that they are radically different from each other.

The simple point here is that GP104 is nothing more than a technologically refined GM200 and the only gains were gotten from core speed.
    Every reviewer that dove into it repeats the same thing, this doesn't mean the card sucks ass it just means it's an evolution only rather than revolution.
    There are architectural changes which benefit the architecture more properly but no real enhancements.

Also I didn't see a 20% gain when enabling Async Compute in AotS for either 1070 or 1080, I'd like a comparison source on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    GP100 = actual Pascal
    GP104 = Tweaked GM200 built on 16nm TSMC Finfet
    Where are you all getting your information from? The chips are identical in layout, with the 104 obviously being a smaller variant.

Geforce 1080:

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/103...gram_FINAL.png

GP100:

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/102..._diagram-1.png

Look at those differences! Why you can count all... 0 of them.

But what's this, can Pascal just be a rebranded Maxwell? Look at this block diagram, just a few minor differences:

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/905...gram_FINAL.png

But what's this, can Maxwell just be a rebranded Kepler? Look at this block diagram, just a few minor differences:

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/569...gram_FINAL.png

But what's this, can Kepler just be a rebranded Fermi? Look at this block diagram, just a few minor differences:

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/...F100/GF100.png

Going by block diagram logic, AMD hasn't had a new architecture in almost 5 years.

I don't know anything about architectures, but the difference between the 1080 and the GP100 is bigger than any of the other images. Aren't the 1080 and GP100 supposed to be the same, just smaller?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Hopps View Post
    I don't know anything about architectures, but the difference between the 1080 and the GP100 is bigger than any of the other images. Aren't the 1080 and GP100 supposed to be the same, just smaller?
    What differences, other the chip size? The layout is identical (other then no HBM2).