Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Lightbulb In retrospect MoP was a really really good expansion

Honestly, we didn't know how good we had it. I think it definitely sits only slightly below WoTLK as far as my favorite expansions go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Plenty of us knew how good we had it. All you had to do was compare it to Cata to see how great it was.

Deleted
    MoP far surpassed WotLK.

I think a lot of people overlooked it as a result of "stupid pandas" but perhaps that was just my anecdotal friend group.

While I hated the panda race and most of the lore. MOP was a solid expansion that did provide a lot of content.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I really enjoyed it at the time. I thought Landfall, Isle of Thunder and Timeless Isle were all fantastic and some of the best patch content ever in the game. Pandaria also had the most stunning scenery and zones.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zacharyk88 View Post
    Honestly, we didn't know how good we had it. I think it definitely sits only slightly below WoTLK as far as my favorite expansions go.
    Some of us figured this out at the time. :P

I loved Mists, still do. Some of my favorite questing and raiding experiences in 11 years of WoW.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

I would've stayed around more during 5.4 had I known how awful WoD was going to be (and declared MoP my last xpac I would play). But hey, hindsight being 20/20 and all that jazz.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    I really enjoyed it at the time. I thought Landfall, Isle of Thunder and Timeless Isle were all fantastic and some of the best patch content ever in the game. Pandaria also had the most stunning scenery and zones.
    Couldn't agree more. I loved the zones, especially Jade Forest, Kun-lai and Dread Wastes.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Deleted
    Not only in retrospect. The only thing I hated about MoP was the PvP and the 14 months of SoO.

Still - even those 14 months beat the 14 months of HFC. So ... yeah.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hated the PVP in MoP since they butchered Fury mobility but I loved playing Sub rogue during the last season.

MoP is right up there with WotLK for best expansion for me. I can understand why some didn't like the Pandaren but I didn't have a problem with it. I liked the lore. It had a solid patch structure. And while there were a few things I didn't like in retrospect, such as Garrosh only being spared so he could cause WoD and Dalaran rejoining the alliance being very short and unimportant in the long run, it was a very solid expansion.

The flaws were easy dungeons with no new ones being added for me. I can't speak for PVP as I never pvp on a serious level. I'm also not sure how good the first two tiers were all in all because my guild was falling apart at that time and I didn't really get to raid in a decent environment until SOO which I think was a solid raid.

Monk was also a fun new class that I enjoyed a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Subjectively speaking I'd say it brought boring zones and an initial set of raids that must have been the weakest lineup ever. Couldn't hold my interest up and unsubbed two-three months into it. It's right down there for me.

If only MoP didn't overdo the Asian theme and shoving down our throats with pandas wherever we go, I would've called it good. Storytelling was fine, I kinda liked the mantid and sha stuff and their relationship to a new Old God. But the pandaren and mogu came over as way to stereotypical for me to enjoy. Raiding was fine and ToT is probably the best raid since ICC, LFR was actually at its best where you could still easily whipe but atleast get loot thats worth it. Dungeons were at its worst though, way to much RP and annoying boss battles. Scenarios were meh, the solo ones are way better then the grindy 3-man ones. Pet battles were fun for a while and I did my fair share playing it, but at the end of the day its just Pokémon in WoW. The PvP was pretty bad, pretty much stopped doing it at that point. The zones look good for most of the part, but as I said before they are to heavily Asian inspired pretty much everywhere you go.

I'd rate MoP above Cata and WoD which I find both terrible, but slightly below TBC with WotLK being the best expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    /sarcasm
    No, it was a rip off of Kung Fu Panda.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zacharyk88 View Post
    I think a lot of people overlooked it as a result of "stupid pandas" but perhaps that was just my anecdotal friend group.
    I didn't mind Pandaren... they have been in the game since WCIII and Samwise Didier always had a bit of an obsession and they would pop in unexpected ways in his concept art.

On the whole I didn't like the Sha, I didn't like art, I didn't like Mogu. I also felt it was the least alt friendly xpac due to the locks.

Content was added a little too quickly imo... but I suppose that's just a personal issue. Because I would say too soon, is better than content drought and having too many things to do is better than having nothing to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, and in 3 expansions time people will be crying about how good we had it during WoD.

rose tinted glasses are rose tinted.
    Hi

Some of us knew how good it was when it launched.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    /sarcasm
    No, it was a rip off of Kung Fu Panda.
    Kung Fu Panda was released in 2008.

WCIII: Frozen throne was released in 2003. Pandaren Brewmasters were added as neutral heroes.

Just because they didn't dive deeper into the lore, doesn't mean they didn't have some sort of back story/world building going on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    Yeah, and in 3 expansions time people will be crying about how good we had it during WoD.

WotLK, Vanilla, and WoD... its my 3rd favorite.

That doesn't mean I can't recognize its 'short'comings. But WoD has been my longest non-interrupted sub period since the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post

I disagree, most people still think Cata was a bad expansion, during MoP I really enjoyed the lore and there was lots of post exp content ( which is for me right now the most important thing about an exp, especially after WoD of no content ).