Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Dublin and Frankfurt are the most likely beneficiaries for the exodus of financial companies from the City of London.
    If Scotland pulls off Independence before the end of negotiations they might even move to Edinburgh

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    If Scotland pulls off Independence before the end of negotiations they might even move to Edinburgh
    Ireland has almost no corporation taxes, Frankfurt has very low land value. Edinburgh has neither of those :/

In case you were wondering how many of the claims made by VoteLeave were actually bullshit, the Independent has put together a list of the "top 8".

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/art...s--WyxD59VO3Nb

1. We aren't going to see a fall in immigration levels

No one in the Leave campaign actually gave any target figures, at any time, ever. Conservative MEP Dan Hannan has already said this morning that people expecting immigration to come down will be "disappointed".

2. We aren't going to have an extra £100 million a week for the NHS

Nigel Farage has already told reporters today that the Leave campaign shouldn't have claimed that.

3. We aren't going to be able to stay in the single market

No other country has a set up like that: both France and Germany have made it abundantly clear that we are not going to be able to have our cake and eat it, ie, take advantage of the free-trade zone without contributing a single penny to it, as Leave says we will.

(I would question this one, because we could become a part of EFTA, although that would entail giving money to Brussels in return for freedom of movement of people)

4. We aren't going to get our sovereignty back

Looks like we're going to get a new prime minister by the end of the autumn Conservative party conference. It'll be a short list of two people, nominated by MPs.

This unelected leader could then theoretically hold office unopposed until a general election has to be called in three year's time.

P.S. We still have the House of Lords. So there's that.

5. We aren't going to save £350m a week

The Leave claim that the UK gives £350m a week to the EU has been thoroughly debunked. But it was still emblazoned on their battle bus right up until the end:

@JohnRedwood admits on R4 that @vote leave battle bus claim is "gross" #EUref #brexit pic.twitter.com/xu2uZO0u4w
    — Graham Smith (@graysmith100) June 9, 2016

6. We won't remain a world leader in research and development

UK investment in science and universities has dried up since the recession, whereas the EU gave us £7bn in science funding alone between 2007 - 2013.

We're also going to face new barriers to collaboration with European universities and research centres.

7. We aren't going to save £2bn on energy bills

Leave promised we could end VAT on household energy bills. While that's possible, it won't save us any money in reality because we rely on imports for so much of our energy.

Because the pound has fallen, inflation will go up, which means imports and thus our domestic energy bills will cost up to 12 per cent more than they currently do.

8. We aren't going to be a 'greater' Britain

Overnight the UK economy has already slumped from the fifth largest in the world to sixth.

More than £200 billion has already been wiped from the value of the UK stock market - or put another way, 24 years' worth of UK contributions to the EU.

So essentially we retain the Status Quo, except we are worse off due to not being in the EU...
    I'm not British so my opinion doesn't matter.

Anyway. I'd take your word as a more credible source over any media outlet. The way they were all harping for this and spinning shit made it clear what their bias is. Also, these companies usually fall under other corporations and would benefit from the remain vote. It's like asking Trump how he feels about investing in New York real estate. Of course he will say it's a no brainer. He may be right, but we all know he would give the same answer even if he was dead wrong.

Ireland has almost no corporation taxes, Frankfurt has very low land value. Edinburgh has neither of those :/
    Scotland has neither of those YET. If Scotland gets independence, you can guarantee they will make their corporation tax excessively low and make moving there from London attractive as possible.

As someone who voted remain and living in the North West, I am seriously considering seeing if I can move up to Scotland before the proverbial mess hits the fan.

Deleted
    Did the establishment just win again?

To me this entire thing looks like a radical fix for something that wasn't entirely broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    I know I shouldn't do this but I'll bite.

Trump's fatal errors economically:

- Tax plans is a disaster the cuts are too much and will leave the USA with a deficit spending that will let cost the USA 9.5 trillion dollars over the next ten years.
    http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/publi...rumps-tax-plan
    - His plan to renegotiate the debt would more than likely crash the bonds, since most of the debt is owned by USA citizens. So only us citizens will be affected.

Bernie's fatal errors:

- Increase to 15$/hour too much, coupled with his tax plan are going to cause either massive unemployment or decrease in the GDP.

http://taxfoundation.org/article/det...ers-s-tax-plan

Economic Impact of Senator Sanders’s Tax Reform Proposals
    GDP
    -9.5%
    Capital Investment
    -18.6%
    Wage Rate
    -4.3%
    Full-time Equivalent Jobs (in thousands)
    You're saying your opinion, nothing is wrong with that.

TPP will destroy everything. Doesn't matter if the tax plan has flaws. Hilllary supports the TPP and backs Obama's policies. With Obama has put on 10 trillion dollars of debt on. and with the combine between both of them the US is done. Trump's plan will work, just becuase some website said it will fail don't believe it

Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    umh once triggered they start negotiating new agreements
    nope, once triggered, they start negotiating their exit from the current state of things

negotiating new agreements is an entirely different process from the divorce that is likely to take 6+ years separately

Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    I'm not British so my opinion doesn't matter.

Anyway. I'd take your word as a more credible source over any media outlet. The way they were all harping for this and spinning shit made it clear what their bias is. Also, these companies usually fall under other corporations and would benefit from the remain vote. It's like asking Trump how he feels about investing in New York real estate. Of course he will say it's a no brainer. He may be right, but we all know he would give the same answer even if he was dead wrong.
    When Trump talks about "no brainers" the natural reaction is to initially assume he is talking about himself.

On the topic thereof, this is painful to watch:

https://twitter.com/junayed_/status/...025280/video/1

Paraphrased "I don't mind EU immigration, but I want to stop non-EU immigration so I voted to leave the EU". There are our paragons of intellect and reason who voted to leave the EU.

Deleted
    Baby Boomers and Gen X should be ashamed. Garbage generations.

When Trump talks about "no brainers" the natural reaction is to initially assume he is talking about himself.

On the topic thereof, this is painful to watch:

https://twitter.com/junayed_/status/...025280/video/1

Paraphrased "I don't mind EU immigration, but I want to stop non-EU immigration so I voted to leave the EU". There are our paragons of intellect and reason who voted to leave the EU.
    Because the EU is bringing them in.....

If you insist on blaming someone, blame the politicians and hold them accountable. Pointing fingers at regular people for exercising their right to vote in a democracy is utterly ridiculous. What does it accomplish? Nothing, really. Both sides had valid concerns (which anybody without blatant bias would readily admit) and both sides were roughly equal in their split where the vote itself was concerned.

Furthermore if more time was spent addressing the concerns regarding the EU then the result might have been different. It's time to stop branding people as 'bigots' or 'idiots' and instead focus on building up a better, stronger country. Which is what should have been the case no matter the result, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Fadeslol View Post
    Because the EU is bringing them in.....
    Britain has been taking in refugees for decades. Even before joining the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavett View Post
    To me this entire thing looks like a radical fix for something that wasn't entirely broken.
    This was a case of - Look a leaky roof...- Soak the house in gasoline, lock ourselves in, throw the key out the window and light the whole thing on fire! For Freedoooooom!

Britain has been taking in refugees for decades. Even before joining the EU.
    Because the EU is bringing the people in that are chopping off heads. There's a difference.

Because the EU is bringing the people in that are chopping off heads. There's a difference.
    I must have missed the hordes of Doth'raki-esque Muslim fighters storming the streets and beheading people. Man, the sheltered world I live in (I currently live in Germany, which took in a million refugees from the middle east last year, as opposed to the mere thousands that entered the UK).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavett View Post
    This is most likely be the reason EU will finally work to fix itself and change immigration policies.

UK just sacrificed itself to save Europe.

And if we were not part of the EU we would still be bringing them in as there is an international understanding that Western countries do, which is one of the key principles behind the UN in modern times, so we would STILL have immigrants coming in and chopping off our heads as you so narrowly put it. Not being part of the EU will not stop people from claiming refugee status or trying to come into the UK in any manner they see fit.

I must have missed the hordes of Doth'raki-esque Muslim fighters storming the streets and beheading people. Man, the sheltered world I live in (I currently live in Germany, which took in a million refugees from the middle east last year, as opposed to the mere thousands that entered the UK).
    And how many more rapes, sexual assaults and overall crime has Germany had compared to England? and how much more has it covered it up?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyDPS View Post
    And if we were not part of the EU we would still be bringing them in as there is an international understanding that Western countries do, which is one of the key principles behind the UN in modern times, so we would STILL have immigrants coming in and chopping off our heads as you so narrowly put it. Not being part of the EU will not stop people from claiming refugee status or trying to come into the UK in any manner they see fit.
    You will bring them in if your leaders allow it, theres a difference, u have a say. Soon as Trump becomes president or if the American leadership wake up, we wont take anymore in. With the EU, you're forced to take them in.

Deleted
    And how many more rapes, sexual assaults and overall crime has Germany had compared to England? and how much more has it covered it up?

- - - Updated - - -

You will bring them in if your leaders allow it, theres a difference, u have a say. Soon as Trump becomes president or if the American leadership wake up, we wont take anymore in. With the EU, you're forced to take them in.
    You are already fucked, you got a lot of muslims in your country already abducting young white females and that trash didn't come from EU.
    Uk colonized half of the world and you blame immigration on EU?

Leaving the EU won't change a thing for you.