10+ Year Old Account
    So in BDO we just had region wars for taking over countries, and one of the guilds that got a country is called WaifuHunta, and their guild picture is Honoka's face blushing. Her face is now on the map of the game above that country, and upon entering the capital is on all the flags and guards in the city. It's wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    So in BDO we just had region wars for taking over countries, and one of the guilds that got a country is called WaifuHunta, and their guild picture is Honoka's face blushing. Her face is now on the map of the game above that country, and upon entering the capital is on all the flags and guards in the city. It's wonderful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schirmy View Post
    "I know." Wow you're so modest.
    I know .

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    Neichus, don't make me arrest you too.
    It's why I've stayed quiet... :X

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    i thought i knew you
    In my defense, I did try Flying Witch. I keep trying slice of life series, but they almost invariably bore me unless they have some extra hook to them.

------------------------

Unrelated, but caught up on the Alloy of Law "arc" in the Mistborn books. Borrowed them from a friend over the break here. They don't quite have the same magic the original Mistborn has for me. I think there are a few reasons for this.

First, despite Sanderson's attempts allomancy feels less integrated with this world than it did with the Final Empire. Allomancy shows up in the series of course, but it feels like the number of allomancers in the world is far less. The characters also feel less...grand. Kelsier was brilliant and Vin had a mythological badass feel about her that Wax and Wayne just can't match (this is even with Wax pulling off Mistborn-level maneuvers that he has no right doing). Similarly, (Alloy of Law spoilers) the Set and Bleeder just aren't as intimidating as the Lord Ruler and his Inquisitors. In an odd way, it mirrors how the actual characters feel they are just shades of the giants that came before, except translated into actual quality of the read.

Beyond this, it feels like a lot of the mystery is gone from the world. Sanderson tries to introduce new mysteries, but they feel like substitute mysteries. (Mistborn spoilers) After the end of the third Mistborn book we've come to understand the relationships of the three metallic arts and we're even acquainted with God Himself. (AoL spoilers) That Sanderson tries to introduce another god Trell and other things even Sazed doesn't understand feels forced, as though simply evolving the world as it is isn't enough. This strategy of recursion of mysteries, where after one secret is revealed another is created, has always felt weak to me. The same happens if you read past book three in Foundation by Isaac Asimov, where (Foundation spoilers) after it is revealed that the Second Foundation was on Trantor all along, he keeps going and there's another group that's actually controlling the Second Foundation. I've heard the same happens in Naruto, but having never watched far enough in that series I wouldn't know (see, I tied this to anime!).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    It's why I've stayed quiet... :X

In my defense, I did try Flying Witch. I keep trying slice of life series, but they almost invariably bore me unless they have some extra hook to them.

------------------------

Unrelated, but caught up on the Alloy of Law "arc" in the Mistborn books. Borrowed them from a friend over the break here. They don't quite have the same magic the original Mistborn has for me. I think there are a few reasons for this.

First, despite Sanderson's attempts allomancy feels less integrated with this world than it did with the Final Empire. Allomancy shows up in the series of course, but it feels like the number of allomancers in the world is far less. The characters also feel less...grand. Kelsier was brilliant and Vin had a mythological badass feel about her that Wax and Wayne just can't match (this is even with Wax pulling off Mistborn-level maneuvers that he has no right doing). Similarly, (Alloy of Law spoilers) the Set and Bleeder just aren't as intimidating as the Lord Ruler and his Inquisitors. In an odd way, it mirrors how the actual characters feel they are just shades of the giants that came before, except translated into actual quality of the read.

Beyond this, it feels like a lot of the mystery is gone from the world. Sanderson tries to introduce new mysteries, but they feel like substitute mysteries. (Mistborn spoilers) After the end of the third Mistborn book we've come to understand the relationships of the three metallic arts and we're even acquainted with God Himself. (AoL spoilers) That Sanderson tries to introduce another god Trell and other things even Sazed doesn't understand feels forced, as though simply evolving the world as it is isn't enough. This strategy of recursion of mysteries, where after one secret is revealed another is created, has always felt weak to me. The same happens if you read past book three in Foundation by Isaac Asimov, where (Foundation spoilers) after it is revealed that the Second Foundation was on Trantor all along, he keeps going and there's another group that's actually controlling the Second Foundation. I've heard the same happens in Naruto, but having never watched far enough in that series I wouldn't know (see, I tied this to anime!).
    I could never get into aol, it never struck a cord with me and just felt boring until the point where I gave up reading it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    I've heard the same happens in Naruto, but having never watched far enough in that series I wouldn't know (see, I tied this to anime!).
    Evil masterminds secretly controlling evil factions controlling evil groups secretly controlling evil masterminds?

Yeah, stuff like that does happen in shounen manga especially, depends on how much forward planning the mangaka does for the general character hierarchy and setting. DBZ/Naruto/Bleach for example have all pulled villains out of their arses at times to keep things going. One Piece on the other hand set up the big dogs and the final series goal quite early on and has kept everything within that scale for an absurd amount of time without resetting anything.

Attack on Titan Episode 21-22 Re-Review - 8/10

Having rewatched the series in English, I can firmly say that these two are the best episodes in all of season 1. Yes, the average animation quality outside of a few select fight scenes are pretty low, and for the most part the dialogue is redundant, but oh boy the parts that stick are super-effective.

When Levi looks at his fallen comrades... (SPOILERS!)

When Levi sits down at his desk...

*Feels*

I'd have to reread the Mistborn trilogy to be sure, but I want to say I'd actually consider Alloy, Shadow and Mourning to be the better books. I feel like Mistborn wasn't as good after the first book. Still good, no doubt, but there was a drop for me.

samurai flamenco - was fun. definitely didn't see most of it coming

Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    I could never get into aol, it never struck a cord with me and just felt boring until the point where I gave up reading it.
    I found them entertaining enough to read in two days, but they just felt second tier. If I had to assign a number I'd give Mistborn and The Well of Ascension a good 8-8.5/10, while The Hero of Ages slips to a 7-7.5/10. The whole Alloy of Law series feels like it's a 7/10 at most, slipping a bit lower as it goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    Evil masterminds secretly controlling evil factions controlling evil groups secretly controlling evil masterminds?
    That's precisely it. This reminds me of when I was working on a video game project years ago. StarControl II, the game we were following up*, was dominated by a pair of villain races called the Ur-Quan and Kohr-Ah. They were ancient and powerful and to this day I consider their characterization some of the best in gaming; with just some text, a font, some .midi music, and a slightly moving picture they did so much. I don't like the voice overs in the 3DO version, but this gives you some example of their dialogue.

Anyway, I recall that one of our big concerns was to not try and one-up these twin races with our new antagonists in the sequel. It would just cheapen everything that came before it. So I can appreciate Sanderson's problem, that he can't just out-do the characters in the original Mistborn, but it's hard to accept that what follows will always be in its shadow.

*SC3 doesn't exist, no it doesn't, stop telling me it does because that...thing....is not StarControl

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hemoglobin View Post
    I'd have to reread the Mistborn trilogy to be sure, but I want to say I'd actually consider Alloy, Shadow and Mourning to be the better books. I feel like Mistborn wasn't as good after the first book. Still good, no doubt, but there was a drop for me.
    For me, the turning point comes in the middle of Well when they start to move into the Ruin/Preservation stuff. I liked Mistborn and felt that he carried the drama and mystery into Well extremely well. That moment when Vin comes out of the sky and hacks Elend's father in half was kind of her 'ultimate moment' for me. After that I felt like the series began to meander just a bit, and the last book just dragged. Yes, I get that ash is falling and the world is coming to an end and it's depressing...but it felt like that experience was dragged out far too long.

I also REALLY dislike what might be called "God endings" or "God points of view." Whenever things shift to that plane I feel that it becomes simultaneously unimpactful and lacking in imagination.

Also, with regards to AoL I just don't like shadow organizations secretly running things. It feels old hat to me, and really played out.

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah, stuff like that does happen in shounen manga especially, depends on how much forward planning the mangaka does for the general character hierarchy and setting. DBZ/Naruto/Bleach for example have all pulled villains out of their arses at times to keep things going. One Piece on the other hand set up the big dogs and the final series goal quite early on and has kept everything within that scale for an absurd amount of time without resetting anything.
    Magi has been able to not have any of that shit and it's over 300 chapters, I feel like it's just bad writing on their part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Magi has been able to not have any of that shit and it's over 300 chapters, I feel like it's just bad writing on their part.
    Thanks for paraphrasing my post Zath-kun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for paraphrasing my post Zath-kun.
    yw .

I feel like even One Piece has some pacing problems and repetitive enemies (not quite what you were referring to with the stupid hierarchies), though that could just be the anime stretching things out from the manga. But a fight in Magi doesn't last 30 chapters, and if it does it's a battle that spans various stages, and the story progresses in quite a fast manner.
    Last edited by Zatheyll; 2016-06-26 at 10:16 AM.

Damn weebs.

If you wanna weeb, you at least have to do it right and go with Maki, the obvious best girl from love live.

Maki is god tier waifu

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    Damn weebs.

If you wanna weeb, you at least have to do it right and go with Maki, the obvious best girl from love live.
    If you wanna weeb weeb, at least use an ahegao image.

10+ Year Old Account
    honks taking over BDO

edit: agree with above posts
    [CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Suicidal Panda View Post
    honks taking over BDO

edit: agree with above posts
    BDO is full of anime guilds, quite a bit of them having worse taste than some people in this thread even.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    BDO is full of anime guilds, quite a bit of them having worse taste than some people in this thread even.
    I'm sure they do. This thread is in a higher realm per se.
    [CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Suicidal Panda View Post
    I'm sure they do. This thread is in a higher realm per se.
    I might shit talk a lot but honestly the people in this thread do have much better taste than what I see elsewhere. I've discovered a lot of really great shows because of you guys, shows I would've passed up because places like reddit and 4chan either don't talk about them or said they weren't any good. Example: Shinsekai Yori.

Oh, had a friend from NOLA call me crying this morning. She stayed up all night watching Madoka Magica. It was her first time watching anime; she said she remembered hearing me talk about it and she was browsing Netflix with no clue what to watch when it popped up in suggestions.

I'm proud of her, too, she said if she was going to watch anime she wanted the full experience so she switched to the Japanese audio.
    Last edited by Sj; 2016-06-26 at 11:32 AM.