Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Who cares about the headstart, gold making right now and even after the garrison nerfs can be done largely on a sandbox basis, you don't have to interact with anyone at all and can easily make lots of gold to fund whatever it is you need which is precisely the type of situation that people on low pop servers have been living with the entire time.

The complaint here is that someone with millions of gold has an advantage, and the only advantage they actually truly have now is the ability to purchase things that people with lesser amounts cannot, there's no longer the cornered market problem of expansions past where to even make decent gold you had to be a 24/7 auction rat and trade barker. You don't need to be a player with the ability to corner markets, buyout inventories of items and all of that. You can literally run 25H Cata raids and make hundreds of thousands of gold a week just doing that, if you wish. In Legion this will be extended to MoP raids as well as Cata and even some of the old Wrath raids are technically decent gold for the time it takes to run through them.

Even with them hitting Garrisons in the prepatch you'll still have old raid farming at the very least, so it doesn't require any kind of reset whatsoever and the very idea of a reset is stupid since the smart AH players are going to be the ones who invest the time to research and prepare for this new currency each expansion and jump ahead anyways, ergo you'll always have people far and away ahead of the average player thus totally negating the primary factor for even doing this.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by LurkerOnly View Post
    I liked it.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    That has to be the worst idea in WoW - EVER!
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

There's no way a mechanism which effectively negates all of the hard work people put into amassing stockpiles of gold would ever gain any traction with players.

But more to the point, inflation itself isn't as much a big deal that it needs to be handled in such a Draconian manner. Gold will naturally be worth less from expansion to expansion as more people save and the sheer volume of gold in the economy exponentially increases. WoD's gold value inflation has likely been the worse of any expansion prior due in large part to Garrisons but if Legion looks to undo some of the problems brought about in WoD then the end result will be fairly moot.

tl,dr - nope.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rather not, it would discourage people from doing much in the game, other than their main goal. Wouldn't be a value to gold once the last tier is released and completed, it would just be dust, needing to be spent on shit before the next expansion.

It wouldn't fix inflation for long, for prices would just rocket launch because people want all the gold they need for things like the 100k and 2.000k mounts.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Or Blizzard could put more reasonable gold sinks into the game periodically, like with patches to help eat away at people's stock piles. I have to say I'd be pretty annoyed to have my currency reset each expac, especially if I spent time padding my wallet to get ready for it, not to mention with the random gear upgrades we got in WoD, quest gear isn't the same for everyone anymore.

Deleted
    Here's a good thing to do, be less lazy and make some gold, economies will always inflate, it's their nature.

Since it's a free economy, there's nothing controlling it and there's no need for controlling either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    Every player starts with the same questgear at each expansion. You are ok with that, aren't you? Why?
    Now the same should not apply to gold. Why?
    That different people will reach (or miss) different goal at the end of each expansion is not the topic. The start of each new expansion is the topic. Same playfield for all players, same start. Not one where some guys just buy tons of mats, buy stuff that helps them (like the dalaran ring) with gold they made in the expansion before. That's like keeping your mythic gear and have it scaling to max level so you can start mythic on day one. You wouldn't be ok with that, would you?
    Actually people don't start with the same quest gear each expansion. Since I'm the kind of player I am (haven't stepped foot in a WoD raid at any level) my gear will be inferior and replaced instantly. Your gear on the other hand doesn't become shit until 108 you said. So you've all those levels of superior questing potential because you previously put in more effort than I did in a previous expansion. I'm okay with that.

So if you want a TRULY even playing field each expansion, you'd have to reset gold and strip toons naked and put them in starting legion greens.

Personally, I'm fine with an uneven playing field (in terms of both gold and gear) that rewards effort, skill, and time invested. Except for PvP, imo that should reward skill primarily but that's another forum topic. I honestly can't even tell when someone has more gold than me (probably most people have more than me) and it sure as hell doesn't effect my casual gameplay and it never effected my gameplay back in my raiding days.

No I rather have rich players buy my crafting for exorbitant prices so I equalize the playing field more in my favor of amassing large quantities of gold.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    I'd be all for this. People sitting on gold mines need to be shut down and this is 100% a great way to go about it rather than shove in things the little people will never touch.
    Why do we need to be shut down? Lol. Makes it sound like we're bad people/doing something wrong Terrible idea, glad it will never happen.
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

Every expansion is like a reset button for equipment so new players can catch up. Achievements get easy or if not doable anymore turn into feats of strength. So Blizzard does everything to level the playfield so all players - new and old - have pretty much the same basis. EXCEPT for gold.

Sind gold is the currency since vanilla the only way to equalize was to give more and more gold with each expansion so new players can catch up to at least afford basic stuff. But the auction house increased the prices for even basic items until it's pretty much stupid now.

The solution - have a new currency for each expansion to pay for all stuff. So if you want to buy Legion gear you need to pay with Legion gold and you get legion gold in legion. When you go to BC or WotlK you get BC or WotlK gold. Just think about it for a while before flaming and dismissing the idea.
    Just made an account to reply to this sack of bs.

First of all, your reason doesn't make sense at all, nor does it solve any problem. The "inflation" you say is merely just a number difference. First to the basics, everyone has to do something to earn gold, whether it's gathering raw materials, or providing items you crafted/looted to others players. If you're a hardcore player, your guild might even be selling raid runs for gold. No matter what you choose to do, it always costs something which is the same for everyone: Time. Usually the price of an item is decided by the time it takes to craft/gather one and also the market(player) demand. These are the two main factors which the price is decided for items in WoW.

Now to the reason why I call your reason a sack of bs.

The prices(numbers) are higher when you compare the price of a stack of flasks back in WotLK and now in WoD. But that's not the only difference, players are earning more too. A stack of herb is sold more in WoD compared to WotLK. The prices(numbers) will only go higher for new items when new expansions are released due to the old items won't be in high demand anymore. As an expansion progresses, more and more players will have excess to more and more resources, that's also why when you compare the price of a stack of flasks, it's always WAY cheaper as time goes by (Sky high in the first few weeks after new expansion launched and dirt cheap after a year or so.)

What you suggested to do, basically f*cks the old players over by making their earnings from the items which they took their time to provide worth jack sh*t. What will it feel like when you worked your as* off by gathering tons of stuff over a expansion, and selling them to earn money, and when a new expansion comes, all your unspent earnings are worth jack sh*t? Have you thought of this? I guess not, and I also assume you don't give a slightest f*ck.

Now, to your other concern, with old players sitting on millions of gold and new players are broke as fk.

The way new players can earn gold is the same. Gathering and providing items on the AH, or do mythic runs for gold if you're in a decent guild which requires you to be a decent skilled player. Just the same as the old players earned. Of course they can choose to sell WoW tokens, but that's a different topic.

It doesn't matter if you're new or old, a stack of flask are both sold on the AH for the current market price. In other words, they're earning the same amount of gold when they sell the same item at the same time. The only advantage of old players is, they can buy new items the second the expansion releases without needing to earn gold first. They buy it with the gold they've saved from previous expansions, and to be honest, this isn't an "advantage", it's their right to do so. Just like it's your right to spend your savings after you decide to retire in real life when you worked your ass off for the past 45 years. But in this case, for the past few expansions.

No matter what, gold are earned by sacrificing time. Doesn't even matter if you're new or old, softcore of hardcore. EVERYONE has to spend their time to earn gold, whether it's in the future or in the past. If it's just the numbers you care, ask blizzard to introduce a new currency, which takes 100 or even 1000 gold to convert to.

But making a players' earnings worth jack sh*t when a new expansion launches isn't a good idea at all. It's utter bs.
    Last edited by brad123; 2016-06-28 at 10:55 PM.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh really? One example:

Empowered Ring of the Kirin Tor
    Item Level 865
    Binds when picked up
    Unique-Equipped
    Finger
    +1258 Stamina
    +997 Critical Strike (2.85% @ L110)
    +1794 Mastery (5.13 @ L110)
    Use: Teleports the caster to Dalaran. (30 Min Cooldown)
    Requires Level 101

250k gold!

You can also buy mats and crafted gear with gold.
    Uh, isn't that the only example?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    No I rather have rich players buy my crafting for exorbitant prices so I equalize the playing field more in my favor of amassing large quantities of gold.
    Exactly. This is the answer to wealthy players.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, thats an retarded idea
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked it.
    That doesn't mean it was a good thing by any standard.

Deleted
    All would start with 0 Legion gold - some are better at making gold - but you can't transfer old success to the new expansion
    Yes you could and THAT is the FLAW in your terrible idea.

Pretty damned shitty idea imo.

Perhaps we should reset everything else as well every expansion? We wouldn't want there to be "unfair advantages" or "success transfered over" in this MMORPG...

Or fucking NOT...the "little" people have just the same opportunity to earn their WoW gold as everyone else. Learn how to do it, or get over it. I say this as someone who couldn't earn 100k a couple of expansions ago without spending hours and hours farming.

All would start with 0 Legion gold - some are better at making gold - but you can't transfer old success to the new expansion - just like you can't with your current gear. Even mythic gear from Hellfire is useless once you hit level 110. Same would happen with old gold.
    There are some weaknesses with this idea. First off what currency do you use for old items that come from previous items that are BoE/BoU & are entirely player driven in regards to how much the item absorbs from the economy (namely TCG mounts, which are sought after by many buyers & amass tons of gold for sellers & dupers)?

Another problem lies in how the auction house works right now. How would a currency reset decide how items are listed from previous expansions? Do you only allow items from a current expansion to even be listed, thus only allowing the AH to control current content items? Do you allow filters for different expansion items to be sought after for people who have different fortunes for different currencies? What do you do if the few people who are excellent AH barons still massively jack up prices for current content items, which still leaves other players in the dust?

Those that leveled during the previous expansion have an advantage because they start out a higher level so everyones level should be reset to 1 at the start of a new expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry, but this is a pretty horrible idea. People should not have the things they earn removed because others didn't want to/could not work as hard.