Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post
    It's basically what will happen to the financial services in London. They will either move to the continent wholesale or will relocate to Dublin. Currently their biggest concern is the fact that they have a lot of EU nationals at management and upper-management, meaning there will be big reshuffles.
    No doubt financial services may move significant parts of their operations to the EU if trade negotiations go horribly, but its about a third of our services exports that go to the EU. London will still be one of the leading global markets.

Add to that the EU has always wanted much stricter regulation on the banks than the UK has - there are other measures the UK can take to reduce the impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Dublin is your answer. Low taxes, close to no bureaucracy, educated people and English speaking... ALL in Europe.
    Add this to the fact that they have plenty of opportunities to grow in size and you get the perfect pick.
    Cripes, have you spoke with Irish people? I find it much easier to communicate with our German suppliers at work than our Irish ones

Quote Originally Posted by Tinch View Post
    No doubt financial services may move significant parts of their operations to the EU if trade negotiations go horribly, but its about a third of our services exports that go to the EU. London will still be one of the leading global markets.

Add to that the EU has always wanted much stricter regulation on the banks than the UK has - there are other measures the UK can take to reduce the impact.
    The only reason London is one of the leading global markets is because a) they speak English and b) they pass services on to continental Europe. England really is the gate to Europe for financial services. London isn't the centre because everyone likes to trade with the UK. The UK is far too insignificant on its own to justify such a big market place. No, they're big, because they tap into the giant market that is the EU. Once that vanishes, London's significance in financial markets will plummet faster than the Pound did in referendum night.

And if by "other measures" you mean cheat, well the UK will be free to do that. We've seen that nothing goes wrong if you trust bankers... right? Right?!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyreg View Post
    Cripes, have you spoke with Irish people? I find it much easier to communicate with our German suppliers at work than our Irish ones
    I really prefer to speak with English, too! Except... that one company. I swear, mumbling on the phone is a job requirement there. And being stoned. I get it that German accents don't make it easier, but god, do I have to repeat every number I read to you? And when you're British and I have to ask you to repeat EVERY sentence, you'd like to rethink your job position answering international phone calls.

I swear, it's not me. Oxford, Cambridge, London.. no matter where I speak, I never have these problems. Only with this one company.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    I think people overestimate the language "problem" a lot.
    I don't think so. We're discussing it, so it may seem we're blowing it out of proportion, but it's a relevant item to discuss. It will come up in job interviews and relocation scenarios. You're often not just relocating one dude, you're relocating families, too.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I've been put through to hundreds of call centres all over the world over the years. The only time I have ever had to ask to speak to somebody else because I couldn't understand an accent was a T-Mobile call centre in Glasgow XD

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    The only reason London is one of the leading global markets is because a) they speak English and b) they pass services on to continental Europe. England really is the gate to Europe for financial services. London isn't the centre because everyone likes to trade with the UK. The UK is far too insignificant on its own to justify such a big market place. No, they're big, because they tap into the giant market that is the EU. Once that vanishes, London's significance in financial markets will plummet faster than the Pound did in referendum night.

And if by "other measures" you mean cheat, well the UK will be free to do that. We've seen that nothing goes wrong if you trust bankers... right? Right?!

- - - Updated - - -

I really prefer to speak with English, too! Except... that one company. I swear, mumbling on the phone is a job requirement there. And being stoned. I get it that German accents don't make it easier, but god, do I have to repeat every number I read to you? And when you're British and I have to ask you to repeat EVERY sentence, you'd like to rethink your job position answering international phone calls.

I swear, it's not me. Oxford, Cambridge, London.. no matter where I speak, I never have these problems. Only with this one company.
    Thats what you get when you pay minimum wage to call centre staff!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    I've been put through to hundreds of call centres all over the world over the years. The only time I have ever had to ask to speak to somebody else because I couldn't understand an accent was a T-Mobile call centre in Glasgow XD
    I often have trouble with BT and Sky up in Scotland, thanks goodness for the invention of webchat!

Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    so since exiting EU:

> labour party destroyed, and hence will actually be a party with values once it's rebuilt
    > racism/hate crimes have gone down (when actual figures got published)
    > liberal pansies all across the UK are finally realising the world isn't fair
    > i personally made a profit out of a weaker sterling

been a pretty good week tbh
    That's the only verifiable argument you had and yeah, the hate-crime rate has actually gone up (more links on topic: 1, 2, 3). Doubt your other arguments carry any weight either.
    Last edited by Mlz; 2016-07-01 at 10:44 AM.

Thats what you get when you pay minimum wage to call centre staff!
    I'm still wondering if they somehow transferred me to India. I absolutely believe in the myth that some of these call centres actually sit in Mumbai!

I liked the one where I couldn't be bothered and asked for a super after like 2 minutes of her not doing what I want and after a brief pause, I swear it was the same person talking to me in an attempted business voice. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    I think people overestimate the language "problem" a lot.
    Its definitely relevant in business, especially when you have a lot of potential suppliers to source from. People are like water and electricity, always follow the path of least resistance.

I meant London as in "The Government" not London as in "the city".
    Not many people in Westminster wanted to leave the EU either. Even some of those who campaigned for Leave would probably have preferred Remain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Not many people in Westminster wanted to leave the EU either. Even some of those who campaigned for Leave would probably have preferred Remain.
    Yet, they called for the referendum. If anyone's to blame, it's them.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm still wondering if they somehow transferred me to India. I absolutely believe in the myth that some of these call centres actually sit in Mumbai!
    Dunno if they still do it, but Microsoft and HP used to reroute their night time UK calls to their US call centre as it said paying overnight costs for two English speaking centres and didn't reduce quality of service.

- - - Updated - - -

Yet, they called for the referendum. If anyone's to blame, it's them.
    Technically speaking it was the public that called for a referendum, the government just made it an election pledge.

Technically speaking it was the public that called for a referendum, the government just made it an election pledge.
    Um, no, legally, the referendum has to be initiated by London. The public can't just make a referendum happen if the Government doesn't give it to them. As far as I understand it.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Um, no, legally, the referendum has to be initiated by London. The public can't just make a referendum happen if the Government doesn't give it to them. As far as I understand it.
    It think we're crossing wires of the various meanings of "called", what I meant was it was the public who demanded the referendum and the government who made it an election promise and then obliged them. I see now what you meant was just that it was the government who put it in place.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    no he is saying that the ECB has power over European financial markets.
    and I'm saying it won't be that bad in the end. You can fear monger all you want about it though. I don't give a shit. Go for it lol.

It think we're crossing wires of the various meanings of "called", what I meant was it was the public who demanded the referendum and the government who made it an election promise and then obliged them. I see now what you meant was just that it was the government who put it in place.
    Learn German, it's much more precise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    and I'm saying it won't be that bad in the end. You can fear monger all you want about it though. I don't give a shit. Go for it lol.
    This is some "if you build it, he will come" type of belief power you're having, mate. Good luck with it!

Add to that the infrastructure, expertise and London's image as a global city that you can't just pick up and move to another country overnight. Dublin, Frankfurt, Paris etc. may try and chip away at London's dominance over time yes, but this would be over a prolonged period.

As I said, its a third of our exports that go to the EU, which continues to fall year on year. The EU is not the sole reason why London is a financial hub.

No I don't mean to cheat, I mean stricter regulation. The EU has always taken a tougher stance than the UK to the banking industry. It was the EU that pushed through the bankers' bonus cap (which I'm sure all of those bankers you need to attract absolutely love) and it is the EU that is pushing to introduce a financial transaction tax and EU-wide tax schemes.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I used to have a list of basic phrases blu-tacked to the wall behind my screen because I played a lot of Forsaken in the late nineties and most of the players/clans were German lol.

- - - Updated - - -

This is some "if you build it, he will come" type of belief power you're having, mate. Good luck with it!
    You seem to be putting words out there I never said. See your problem is you have this with us or against us mentality. All those muslims will eventually cause problems for EU and you'd probably be better off at least having a lukewarm relationship than none at all. You think russia is going to do jack shit for you? If they brexit it won't be that bad as you are claiming. Once you let go of that ego you will start to see reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinch View Post
    Add to that the infrastructure, expertise and London's image as a global city that you can't just pick up and move to another country overnight. Dublin, Frankfurt, Paris etc. may try and chip away at London's dominance over time yes, but this would be over a prolonged period.
    Infrastructure? Expertise? Frankfurt beats London on that easily. The ECB is located there, all the major banks are located there as well as in London. The German Federal Bank is located there. You have plenty of bankers around there. On top of the biggest European airport, excellent train connections and the worlds best highway system. Btw, the major European internet hubs are also in Frankfurt, an important key to infrastructure for financial markets.

Image? Frankfurt is not far behind London in that. And the cap affects everyone, everywhere. It's not like we care very much if they hate it or not. They fucked up in 2008 and they are paying for it. No love lost there.

So yeah, keep on dreaming...

- - - Updated - - -

I used to have a list of basic phrases blu-tacked to the wall behind my screen because I played a lot of Forsaken in the late nineties and most of the players/clans were German lol.
    Must be scary.