Page 63 of 77 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    It's annoying when people keep telling that "480 for 200$ is great card" when in reality the prices are >300, it's not really great card anymore.
    The prices are right on MSRP here in the Netherlands, which makes the card ~30% cheaper than the cheapest GTX970 right now.
    If it's retailers being dicks, you should see prices dropping soon. If it's taxes, then other cards are crazy expensive too and it's still a good card for the price.

Deleted
    Apparently AMD is planning to release a 490 sometime this year. As well as possibly a rx 465/475/485 revision which is "optimized" (next years rebrand in the worst case i suppose) and then some non-RX versions of 440/ 450/460.

Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-07-01 at 11:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-1060-...hmarks-leaked/

Seems the Geforce 1060 will launch at a $249 price with +15% performance over the RX 480. Not sure if that price is for the 3GB or 6GB model.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I had to guess I'd say the 1060 will be slightly better at dx11 titles while the RX480 will be better at dx12 titles.

1060 having a better perf/watt while the RX480 having better perf/dollar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well then, glad I got fed up with both AMD's and Nvidia's shenanigans and decided to just get my CPU heatsink and PSU finally replaced and wait it out till the competitive field was more clear before replacing my GPU, cause it looks like there's going to be further posturing and nonsense before both cards will be available in aftermarket versions and for non-jacked up prices.

PR battles and marketing are the fucking worst.

Only 6GB?...but why?

Deleted
    I`ve no idea why 6gig, does seem weird.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if this is a new kind of tactic?

Besides having screwed up PCI-E power draw, the card apparently can achieve some great results when you undervolt it and increase the power limit...

What the f***? Why are they selling this with such weird configurations if simple tweaks like those can make such a big difference? Did someone screw up badly and flashed the wrong BIOS or is this just a marketing move to make the custom cards difference in comparison to the reference ones even wider?

I don't even know what to think anymore, lol.

I want to believe that this is a genius bait to make Nvidia release a 1060 that can beat the reference 480 but can't compete with the "right" ones but this is wishful thinking. It would be indeed genius but I highly doubt AMD's marketing team is capable of such thing lol.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2016-07-01 at 04:23 PM.

Does it really need more than 6GB? It's a 1080/1440p card

10+ Year Old Account
    Did any of you guys see this review yet?

https://techaltar.com/amd-rx-480-gpu-review/

Why are we getting such different results from different sources? Did they give PR a different driver or something like this recently?

10+ Year Old Account
    Also $200 for a gpu but you f-up your mobo...... ouch. Will wait and see how they sort that out.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just a small peak on prices here in Russiain stores.

One of biggest russian retailers sell RX480 8GB for 320 bucks lol, but on the same time dropped prices on 970 for 50-60 dollars.

Still waiting on non-ref rx 480 with 8pin connections to see varied benchmarks

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Well then, glad I got fed up with both AMD's and Nvidia's shenanigans and decided to just get my CPU heatsink and PSU finally replaced and wait it out till the competitive field was more clear before replacing my GPU, cause it looks like there's going to be further posturing and nonsense before both cards will be available in aftermarket versions and for non-jacked up prices.

PR battles and marketing are the fucking worst.
    Indeed, its even worse when the fanboys on each side go at it like 16-/32-bit console war tards.

I'm waiting until later this month before I buy something.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoKs View Post
    Also $200 for a gpu but you f-up your mobo...... ouch. Will wait and see how they sort that out.
    8pin power connector or 2 6pin ones for the custom cards and the speculated RX485

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    8pin power connector or 2 6pin ones for the custom cards and the speculated RX485
    Most probably yes, but it still doesnt help the poor fools that bought it already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoKs View Post
    Most probably yes, but it still doesnt help the poor fools that bought it already.
    Well they can release a new BIOS with it corrected, I just wonder how much it'd hurt the performance.

The undervolt is real though, I also wonder why ship the card with that high value by default. Maybe to increase the number of usable chips if not all of them can sustain the lower voltage.

- - - Updated - - -

Sapphire best model apparently going to go with up to 1400MHz by default, headroom to 1600MHz OC if you have extreme luck.

Update - Gibbo from Overclockers UK has stated that this GPU will be shipping for £249.99 in the UK from their storefront. This is only £10 more than most reference RX 480 GPUs. - Special Thanks to Tolemac on the OC3D Forums for this extra info.
    And more info: https://i.imgur.com/d5HAIpe.png

- - - Updated - - -

Rumour for the PowerColor's devil edition or something like this.

If this is true then lol, this card indeed has awesome OC scaling. Otherwise selling this wouldn't make any sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    HardOCP is all talk about RX 480's bricking motherboards because the 480's draw too much power from the PCIE slot. Not sure how legit this is, but anyone know any tests done to show this? From the looks of this, other cards aren't sticking to that pcie specification either, but the RX 480 is certainly doing it worse.

Tom's Hardware did a pretty good review of this.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...10,4616-9.html

Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2016-07-01 at 07:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a gut feeling that this is just as much an overblown issue as 3.5GB RAM for 970 is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I have a gut feeling that this is just as much an overblown issue as 3.5GB RAM for 970 is.
    That's why I want to see some testing done. Some say the RX 480 pulls 2W more over the PCIE than it should, which is probably within spec. Some say it pulls way more. It's a concern, but most likely people are experiencing issues cause their machines weren't in great condition to begin with and they failed cause you agitated an already weak system. And what kind of system is getting a $200 graphics card? Probably old pieces of crap.

There needs to be more testing, and with other cards as well. For all I know, it's Nvidia's way to hurt sales until the 1060 is released.

- - - Updated - - -

AdoredTV had a take on this subject, and it doesn't look like the RX 480 is alone. He also mentioned how useless the 8GB of memory is on this card. Compared to a lot of other cards, the RX 480 is doing pretty well on PCIE power draw.