Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...g_you_can_run/

It can be done, so to everyone saying 4k/UHD at 60 fps (and in a raid) can't be done - here's your hat, feel free to eat it.
    1. 40 man means not current Mythic raid.

2. A screenshot proves nothing in regards to maintaining 60+ FPS. Only a video recording could prove that, and there has never been one made.

3. Sorry, but no one is eating anything.

10+ Year Old Account

It can be done, so to everyone saying 4k/UHD at 60 fps (and in a raid) can't be done - here's your hat, feel free to eat it.

His specs are further down the thread too.
    ANd its stuff like that they we ask for VIDEOS.

A screenshot of 40m molten core with no settings or anything, doesn't mean anything.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    ANd its stuff like that they we ask for VIDEOS.

A screenshot of 40m molten core with no settings or anything, doesn't mean anything.
    He also managed to squeeze another 1.2ghz on his CPU with an AIO water cooling system. That right there seems really unlikely
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

that can easily be done with the Render Scale dropped... video with settings or nothing lol

Durr hurr, this again..Hasnt this been discussed billions time already about that retarded screenshot?

Molten Core aka the older shit in existence with literally 5% of the polygons used today for anything texture wise in raids, bla bla..I wont go over this again.

The point is to maintain constant over 60 FPS without it ever dipping below 60 in actual Mythic Raiding of todays standards and i recall that video, half the video whenever they pull anything with remotely more health he drops to 45 FPS repeatedly.

The only person that can argue against anyone with a brain on how it works is someone that will take 39 of the best players of the world, take them to some outworld boss and have them start destroying it, of course the fight will last less than a minute but it will be more than enough, the biggest stress is during Bloodlust, always has been and of course we are talking SSAA used, good luck
    Last edited by potis; 2016-07-04 at 10:19 AM.

Issue with this is it proves nothing. I can go take a screenshot right now of my 200fps on 4k ultra... But not actully show what settings I'm running just make claims to start controversy. He's not showing any settings at all. This has been long debated and I really would like someone with a 4k monitor to do some WoW benchmarks for me.

even 60 at 4k is much more reasonable than the 12-15 i get at low setting

Quote Originally Posted by sovereign90 View Post
    even 60 at 4k is much more reasonable than the 12-15 i get at low setting
    You can change your resolution to something not native.

Maybe the op is fine with 60-ish FPS on regular gameplay and some dips in raids, did not see him make claims it could not have drops. That first build from Ulminia should provide a reasonable experience in wow.

Also current ultra would be around setting 7 in legion so you can do some min-maxing with the settings to see what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Maybe the op is fine with 60-ish FPS on regular gameplay and some dips in raids, did not see him make claims it could not have drops. That first build from Ulminia should provide a reasonable experience in wow.

Also current ultra would be around setting 7 in legion so you can do some min-maxing with the settings to see what works for you.
    We weren't talking about going over 60fps. Getting 60fps in 4k at ultra is going to be a royal pain. But yes that build or my build both simmilar would let you run legion at atleast high settings with decent fps.

I'l happily do a video in LFR for you, my guilds inactive so I can't do mythic footage. Considering lfr has more people its arguable to be even more draining on fps.

Seriously. If you think it's impossible to get 60 fps in a raid your doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by thunterman View Post
    I'l happily do a video in LFR for you, my guilds inactive so I can't do mythic footage. Considering lfr has more people its arguable to be even more draining on fps.

Seriously. If you think it's impossible to get 60 fps in a raid your doing something wrong.
    Are you on 4k? We are talking 4k here. not 1080p.

I focus more on smoothness, consistency more than raw frame rates; I'm just not bothered as much by say a smooth 30 fps than 120 fps with screen tearing, stuttering, etc. With everything maxed out including console commands and msaa 8x/8x, I get anywhere from lows of 30-40 fps zoomed all the way out at 3440x1440, and slider at 200%. I only adjust one setting, turn AA off, and I jump to over 100 fps.

So, sacrifice one setting and its quite plausible to get 60 fps at 4k.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 612 Ver.2 44.2 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($42.99 @ B&H)
    Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($107.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($154.85 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Blue 6TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($201.60 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Video Card ($669.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($70.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1951.24
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-04 11:05 EDT-0400

I'd suggest changing some things; the mobo is expensive but I like the aesthetics. If you don't need more than 500 GB, remove the mass storage HDD. If you aren't going to overclock, then don't get the K series cpu, though, for wow, you do want to overclock and with bios it is quite easy now, some bios have simple one click solutions, while you could probably get away with just changing the multiplier to 46 without any other adjustments and be fine; come to the forum and get help if you need to for that. You could go with a 1070 instead.

With those changes in mind, I added a 21:9 monitor to give you more viewing space, which is nice to have while raiding, pvp, in the world ... never hurts to see more than you could otherwise, and still have a massive resolution for your eyes; not to mention, playing on a very large tv is not as good as you might think. It has been a while, and it was a 1080 screen that I was far too close to, but it wasn't great. The amount of looking around the screen increases because stuff is so far apart if you are close at all, and being far away from my screen unless I'm playing xb1, just doesn't work well for me personally. Do what makes you feel good, but you should consider holding a bit of budget aside in case you do want a monitor ... here is the second build that should perform just about as well:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 612 Ver.2 44.2 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($42.99 @ B&H)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC MATE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($102.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($107.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($154.85 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($429.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($70.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
    Monitor: LG 34UM94-P 34.0" 60Hz Monitor ($679.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $2052.62
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-04 11:12 EDT-0400

Either build would get you what you want if you are willing to adjust your AA to get the framerate you desire. I don't think you'd have to touch shadows at all, and even if Legion increase load, no AA should still net you 60+ in most situations regardless. Raiding is a monster with all the spells, etc, so some dips may happen no matter what beast of a machine you build. It doesn't have to do with just hardware, but coding as well. If they optimized WoW for 4 cores instead of 2, and utilized hyperthreading, we probably wouldn't be struggling so hard with this. Remember to also do things that may help your fps; combat logs, specific addons, etc can have an effect because they take cpu cycles; Find a balance of settings, etc that you can be happy with.
    My PC Build 4790k @ 4.7 GHz @ 1.28v; 1080 @ +175 core, +500 memory

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Are you on 4k? We are talking 4k here. not 1080p.
    I specified that I was on 1440p. I know my machine can't run it 4k, I said that TWO 980ti's would easily. It is not "Impossible" Hell, I'm even being told I can't achieve 60FPS. People need their heads checked, or their GPU's upgraded if they think 60FPS isn't a thing in wow.

90FPS at 1440, I believe a second card would guarantee 4k 60 FPS. We all know it's a CPU dependant game, So you'd probably end up needing x99 too, but, it's possible.

I specified that I was on 1440p. I know my machine can't run it 4k, I said that TWO 980ti's would easily. It is not "Impossible" Hell, I'm even being told I can't achieve 60FPS. People need their heads checked, or their GPU's upgraded if they think 60FPS isn't a thing in wow.

90FPS at 1440, I believe a second card would guarantee 4k 60 FPS. We all know it's a CPU dependant game, So you'd probably end up needing x99 too, but, it's possible.
    No, it is not possible. LFR does not strain a CPU the way Mythic does. It does not matter what GPU you have. Mythic raids, and many places in the game world put too heavy a burden on the CPU to maintain 60 FPS. You can throw 4 GPUs at WoW and it will not maintain 60 FPS.

We're talking 4k here so what you can run is irrelevant. And that's not how scaling works on a game that bottlenecks at 1080p. You can run wow at ultra at 1080p with a 960 if your cpu is good. It'll be more gpu intensive at 4k but it doesn't scale 1 for 1.

And let me state yet again, WoW is a cpu intensive game the bottleneck woun't be the GPU it'll be the CPU.

10+ Year Old Account
    We all know it's a CPU dependant game, So you'd probably end up needing x99 too, but, it's possible.

Having "x99" wouldn't do anything. Wow is largely single or at best two core focused. Having more cores and cache and hyperthreading doesn't do anything (In fact, it often makes it worse).

A 6600K overclocked well is effectively the absolute best cpu you can get for raising minimum frames until the next CPU generation comes out. No matter how much other hardware you throw at it, the highest clocked Skylake is going to be the best, and if that can't do it (which it cant).. what more is there?

An OC'd 6600K and a 1060 (or 970) will perform just as good as some silly X99 setup with 32gb of ram and 4x 1080's.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Having "x99" wouldn't do anything. Wow is largely single or at best two core focused. Having more cores and cache and hyperthreading doesn't do anything (In fact, it often makes it worse).

A 6600K overclocked well is effectively the absolute best cpu you can get for raising minimum frames until the next CPU generation comes out. No matter how much other hardware you throw at it, the highest clocked Skylake is going to be the best, and if that can't do it (which it cant).. what more is there?

An OC'd 6600K and a 1060 (or 970) will perform just as good as some silly X99 setup with 32gb of ram and 4x 1080's.
    This, adding more GPUs will not net you any kind of performance gain as long as your GPU is decent (idealy 970+) a 960 will even do fine in most cases.

Whats your opinion on this WoW at 4k on ultra? Is it doable with the restrictions of the WoW engine not properly using multiple CPU cores?

Textures and effects in LFR are toned down compared to other modes. Provide a NM+ video with max group size.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    We're talking 4k here so what you can run is irrelevant. And that's not how scaling works on a game that bottlenecks at 1080p. You can run wow at ultra at 1080p with a 960 if your cpu is good. It'll be more gpu intensive at 4k but it doesn't scale 1 for 1.

And let me state yet again, WoW is a cpu intensive game the bottleneck woun't be the GPU it'll be the CPU.
    I know it doesn't scale 1:1 assuming adding another card nets you 50-75% then based off my results, in my rig 2 980ti's would run 4k fine, I always thought that SLI/CF put more load on the CPU though. I don't know how either work, because they both suck and I'd never bother. It's a CPU intensive game because of all the number crunching in raids, putting it up to 4K must be more of a hit on the GPU than the CPU, the CPU load surely shouldn't be all that much higher than before? I don't know in depth how it works, I only moved up to 1440 a few months ago, with a card that runs it smoothly from the get-go.

This was the impression I was always under, Hence why I have a 6600K, but the amount of people that will call you a retard for believing it is staggering.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Textures and effects in LFR are toned down compared to other modes. Provide a NM+ video with max group size.
    I literally do not even play anymore, I'm subbed just hoping it will get me in the beta, My guilds inactive until legion and hell no am I pugging. I'm casual for the next 2 months....