Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Fishing Artifact

Unless it has been changed, in order to get the Fishing artifact, you have to fish up all the new coins in the fountain in Dalaran. Can this be done in Karazhan's dalaran, in the prepatch?

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...-A-Professions

You don't need to earn The Wish Remover to earn the fishing artifact.

Deleted
    Oh sweet. Wonder what the requirements are then

Quote Originally Posted by Dotmore View Post
    Oh sweet. Wonder what the requirements are then
    Hidden untill someone finds it.
    I love that blizz is keeping some things close to their chest in this expansion and not revealing the whole expansion before it's even out!

Quote Originally Posted by Dotmore View Post
    Unless it has been changed, in order to get the Fishing artifact, you have to fish up all the new coins in the fountain in Dalaran. Can this be done in Karazhan's dalaran, in the prepatch?
    I only threw out a few casts in the fountain but I only caught Northrend Dalaran fish. So if I were to hazard a guess I'd say, no.
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If you follow the links it tells you that you need 800 fishing skill and to catch every rare fish in Legion.
    Oh, well that's kinda boring

It's a fishing artifact that takes 72K fish to max out on power. Of course it's boring.
    Like fishing was ever exciting.

It's a fishing artifact that takes 72K fish to max out on power. Of course it's boring.
    I though it would be some epic adventure with Pagle or something atleast. Not just fishing for rares.

Quote Originally Posted by narendal94 View Post
    Oh, well that's kinda boring
    To be fair, if getting 800 fishing skill and a bunch of rare fish is too much fishing for your taste, what would you want a legendary fishing pole for?

Deleted
    Now what i need is someone to post list where all rare fish can be catched

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    To be fair, if getting 800 fishing skill and a bunch of rare fish is too much fishing for your taste, what would you want a legendary fishing pole for?
    To be fair myself, you get all the other artifacts from the get-go.

Maxing out this fishing pole and farming all the vanity fishing stuff it will presumably be required for will already take a lot of fishing, so there's no reason to have yet another arbitrary grind before you obtain it.

Unless it's enough to have 800 skill with lures, and you'll catch the special fish quickly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post

Maxing out this fishing pole and farming all the vanity fishing stuff it will presumably be required for will already take a lot of fishing, so there's no reason to have yet another arbitrary grind before you obtain it.

Unless it's enough to have 800 skill with lures, and you'll catch the special fish quickly.
    Well they did say:-

Fishing Artifact
    The Fishing Artifact is meant for people that are really into fishing, so it requires some effort.
    It's intended as a fun extra for enthusiasts. It's not meant to have the same level of accessibility as the other artefacts.

Quote Originally Posted by rewn View Post
    It's intended as a fun extra for enthusiasts. It's not meant to have the same level of accessibility as the other artefacts.
    Debatable whether or not that's a good idea.

They fleshed out professions in Legion, and that fishing pole is one of the major drawing points for fishing. "Enthusiasts" or not, it should get people interested in the content. A lot less effective if you have to grind your way to it.

Mechanically you will still have to keep grinding if you want everything maxed out and you want to get that new fishing mount, so why not let people feel better about it by giving them the cool murloc pole from the start?

10+ Year Old Account

They fleshed out professions in Legion, and that fishing pole is one of the major drawing points for fishing. "Enthusiasts" or not, it should get people interested in the content. A lot less effective if you have to grind your way to it.

Mechanically you will still have to keep grinding if you want everything maxed out and you want to get that new fishing mount, so why not let people feel better about it by giving them the cool murloc pole from the start?
    ...your kidding me right?

The fishing artifact should be available to those who are ready to spend a lot of time fishing.

Wow, you have to work for a good reward! That is such a horrible horrible thing, let's just hand it to you for free cause why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    ...your kidding me right?

The fishing artifact should be available to those who are ready to spend a lot of time fishing.

Wow, you have to work for a good reward! That is such a horrible horrible thing, let's just hand it to you for free cause why not.
    No, I'm not kidding you.

The rewards you work for are the vanity fishing items, the extra skins (or skin), a maxed out skill and artifact, as well as the mats you gather through this profession.

The artifact itself is just a "hook" to make fishing more attractive in general. Grinding fishing all the way to some arbitrary level to unlock the artifact is counter intuitive to that; you're going to grind afterwards anyway, no need to be sick of it already when you get the item.

I also love how you special snowflakes who "work" for things (ironic, seeing how this is a game) get all riled up and aggressive. Relax, I already have maxed fishing myself; I did a lot of it to gather the vanity rewards in every expansion, and getting the artifact sooner or later is no big difference to me.

These are just some armchair designer opinions about when the artifact should be unlocked. And it's not a stretch to argue that it's more exciting to get it early, just like all the other artifacts, and then have to grind for additional stuff.

The requirements for the artifact take like 6 hours to complete. Anyone who knows it exists and wants it, can get it.

So i'm not really sure where your early vs. late argument comes into play.

Blizzard doesn't just hand the best rods in the game to people, they never have. And in fact, this pole is the quickest one to acquire outside of getting lucky with the fishing tourney.

Is your argument really that the Fishing Artifact should be handed to anyone with the fishing skill? What is its point after that? The artifact weapons have already lost their allure since everyone gets them within the first 30 minutes of the expansion launching. Why put that same design pitfall on the Fishing Artifact? Because you don't want to spend a few hours obtaining it?
    Frequent Poster on Fluid Druid, The best Feral community out there

My Character

Deleted

I can see where you're coming from but I have to disagree. It's not like the artefact is simply the "next step up".

It blows every other pole out of the water and that's before you even think about the artefact talents. It has a +60 fishing bonus straight up which is 50% better than the current BiS permanent rod (Arcanite is +40) and arguably, the Arcanite is still harder to get than the artefact (unless you use realm hopping shenanigans).

On top of that, the very first talent/ability you get is the ability to teleport to nearby pools within 100(300?, unconfirmed what from I can tell) yards. That's a pretty insane ability to have, especially if you're competing with others for pools.
    The next major perk after that allows you to fish up Blood of Sargeras, which are necessary for most crafting in Legion and are seemingly in short supply, unless you have a gatherer.
    The rest of the perks don't seem nearly as exciting but even just those 3 things are more than enough reason (IMO) to keep the rod behind a grindwall. The fact the rod is straight up +60 is enough reason why it shouldn't simply be handed out. On top of that, the teleport ability has a very good chance to be incredibly powerful for getting around. And then finally, the ability to fish up Bloods has the potential to allow people to keep double crafting professions but still keep up with players with gathering professions in terms of Blood sourcing.

I get that they should be trying to add more cool stuff to encourage more people to get into fishing. But the rod is far above cool. It's also very powerful.

That's a bit of an "apples and oranges"-thing you have going there, the other artifacts are the weapons you'll be using for all of Legion (Maybe even beyond, who knows?), plus your class storyline revolves around them, the artifact fishing pole is just a fun extra for people who love WoW-fishing...

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Yeah, cry more. It's not changing. Do the work and enjoy being rewarded for it, or bitch about everyone else being a special snowflake.
    Umm... reading comprehension on your part? Zero.

There is very little difference to me personally, I simply think making the artifact available early (at least 700 fishing, if not to anyone who catches a number of rare fish and goes through a quest chain) is better design.

This artifact is the biggest change made to fishing since the start of the game, maybe. It adds an extra element to it, and provides one more framework of vanity rewards via alternate skins. It's meant to make the profession better. Making the profession better is meant to expand its audience, to have more people interested in fishing.

It's counter intuitive, therefore, from a logical point of view, to lock this improvement in quality behind grinding the old, boring version of the profession. Not so much for me or you who already have maxed fishing in WoD, so we'd only need to farm 100 skill, which is shit, but for the people with no fishing skill who might want to give it a try now that there's a cool artifact involved.

All you special meritocratic snowflakes fail to realize that the success of this artifact is measured by its ability to expand the popularity of the profession, not for how special it makes you feel for already doing it. You and me, guys, we'd be fishing anyway, just to max it out and get the related mounts/pets/achievements, which I presume will take quite a bit of /played time, if WoD is any measure. It's not us the artifact was designed for.

Of course, to answer some other comments, it is unfortunate that it only takes 5 hours to MAX the artifact, and that the teleport ability is so easy to unlock. Early acquisition with a slower completion curve would be preferable.

It's not so much that it changes the machanic, but it offers additional incentives and perks. I.e. you feel like you work towards something extra if fishing allows you to unlock traits, you may be more inclined to do a fishing achievement if it comes with an artifact skin, etc.

You're right, I'm not aware of the details, but if only takes a few hours to max out and its perks and bonuses aren't really required for things like the new fish mount, then it's a bit meh and not worth fussing about.