Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NadEFurY View Post
    Yeah, cuz his focus and vision is blurred aight?
    and playing one handed...

This is an interesting question... The answer for me is no, I do not treat female characters in-game differently.. However, I often make the assumption that the person is male by default.. Now that I think about it.. I do not know why I make this assumption.. females are 50% of the population and geek/gaming culture is extremely popular now, so I would not be surprised if the WoW population is split 50/50 as well. I know this was probably not this way in the past, but I bet a current poll would reflect this. (give or take 5%). In Fact, my guild for most of WoD had between 4-5 girls out of a 10-14 person raid team. So I am faced with a question.. Is my assumption the result of a latent form of sexism? or simply based on past experiences when the gaming community was primarily a boys club 10+ years ago during my formative years..

No, I do not treat female players differently.

Lots of players other than myself do, unfortunately. I've been in plenty of guilds where clearly immature, presumably younger players make generic sexist comments towards the females in the guild. Usually its harmless and they don't seem uncomfortable (in fact, I've seen instances where the female player clearly encouraged it), but it exists. I've also seen plenty of guild mates give females added attention, such as agreeing with them more often or being less critical of poor play then they seem to be towards everyone else.

Unfortunately, WoW is a social game and not everyone inside it has fantastic social skills. Not a problem unique to Warcraft.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. I dislike everyone equally until they show something that is interesting to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been treated differently once they have actually found out I am a female, but never by just having a female toon. Can't recognize anything of what the OP is describing, is it a NA phenomenon?

But the "special treatment" (catcalling, silence in vent, been given gifts and favours, "romantic" ingame mails and all that kind of bullshit) happened quite a few years ago. Most of the guilds I am in or groups I get into have their fair share of females these days. So it isn't like it is a weird or rare thing to meet a female on WoWt. Doubt it ever was, but girls are less embarrassed now I suppose.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fenderxx View Post
    This is an interesting question... The answer for me is no, I do not treat female characters in-game differently.. However, I often make the assumption that the person is male by default.. Now that I think about it.. I do not know why I make this assumption.. females are 50% of the population and geek/gaming culture is extremely popular now, so I would not be surprised if the WoW population is split 50/50 as well. I know this was probably not this way in the past, but I bet a current poll would reflect this. (give or take 5%). In Fact, my guild for most of WoD had between 4-5 girls out of a 10-14 person raid team. So I am faced with a question.. Is my assumption the result of a latent form of sexism? or simply based on past experiences when the gaming community was primarerily a boys club 10+ years ago during my formative years..
    I think it is a mixture of a lot of things. Female gamers, especially within the realm of RP, have always been a pretty high percentage. But we have also been pretty quiet because well... the awkward special treatment only appeal to a certain type of person, after all.

If you're a guy you could just be projecting yourself onto other unknown avatars. You're a guy, thus everyone is a guy. I usually tend to assume people are female because I am female myself. I also have mostly female friends in different games I play and surround myself with a largely female crowd. To me games appear like they are 90% female and 10% male, even if that isn't the truth at all xD It just happens to be the demographic I experience.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    That seems to be common in any RP servers in any MMO. Any teenage alpha male wannabes keep whispering shit to good-looking female characters.

Funnily enough it seems that the best-looking female characters are usually played by guys. This is probably because men tend to make female characters to look pleasing to themselves, which means they are very likely to look pleasing to most other men as well. While with actual female player characters it's not unusual to see scarfaces, eyepatches and horrible hairstyles and gear combinations.

This might apply more to other MMO's than WoW, given that WoW's character customization feature is extremely primitive and has very limited options.
    While I have one female troll without the one "cute" face I have seen around most of the time, I am female and I usually like to have good-looking characters - both male or female. Most of my characters are female, but I also have some males, and not everyone of these is a male BE. One is a feral troll, and I also have a weathered human warlock with grey hair.

It's all about the RP concept for me, but I certainly want to get the right look as well. Style and substance, so to say. :3

Edit: Funny thing is, when I see a female character in slutty gear, I assume that this is either a guy who likes to look at a half-naked female toon, or a girl who wants to manipulate guys into giving her free stuff. I sometimes like revealing outfits for my female characters, mostly cleavage, but quickly feel uncomfortable with it and get me some real armour. Feral troll and orc girls are a bit of an exception, they probably fit the Red Sonja type.
    Last edited by mmoceb1073a651; 2016-07-14 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxilot View Post
    I've been treated differently once they have actually found out I am a female, but never by just having a female toon. Can't recognize anything of what the OP is describing, is it a NA phenomenon?

But the "special treatment" (catcalling, silence in vent, been given gifts and favours, "romantic" ingame mails and all that kind of bullshit) happened quite a few years ago. Most of the guilds I am in or groups I get into have their fair share of females these days. So it isn't like it is a weird or rare thing to meet a female on WoWt. Doubt it ever was, but girls are less embarrassed now I suppose.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it is a mixture of a lot of things. Female gamers, especially within the realm of RP, have always been a pretty high percentage. But we have also been pretty quiet because well... the awkward special treatment only appeal to a certain type of person, after all.

If you're a guy you could just be projecting yourself onto other unknown avatars. You're a guy, thus everyone is a guy. I usually tend to assume people are female because I am female myself. I also have mostly female friends in different games I play and surround myself with a largely female crowd. To me games appear like they are 90% female and 10% male, even if that isn't the truth at all xD It just happens to be the demographic I experience.
    The self projection is a very good point that I had not considered.
    Last edited by Fenderxx; 2016-07-14 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Ive noticed when a player is playing on a Female character, other players act differently around these players.

For example, I was on my human female warlock in a normal HFC group finder raid, and other players started /flirting with me, and asking if I was a girl and "17/m/cali u?" and other shit like that.

Is this normal? Do players honestly correlate a person playing a female character as being female?

This didn't just happen to me, ive been in stormwind, and other locations where players gather and it always seems like players playing male characters are doing tons of emotes, flirts and other stuff to female characters.
    Well. Guess I am just old fashioned and think it is a little odd that someone would want to cross dress in any capacity.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

I played 2 dozens females, for 8 years, and that only happened to me once. It was a young boy from Thailand living in Britain. Fortunately for him I wasn't a gay pedophile...

Quote Originally Posted by hellosaltygoodness View Post
    i'm a female player who plays nothing but female chars and in 7 years of wow i've never had anybody even assume i'm a female. everyone still thinks i'm male. so no.
    Thats not my experience by just race changing my rogue to a night elf last night. Literally the first thing that happen when i enter a battleground, someone asked me if i was a girl. Then i got asked the same thing in LFR the same day.

I know a guy that tells everyone he is female to get more help and attention, and he says it works.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm gay so no, not really.

I do find it weird that guys play girls and dress them up in the least amount of armor they possibly can.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, you are all equally worthless in my eyes. The only thing I gauge you by is your ability to perform your role in the game.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say it depends on the player.

Either of the sexes can play as either of the sexes, so there's no way of really knowing.
    Even if you were to try and figure it out based on their text speech, that's not definitive
    either, as plenty of males could speak "girly", using emoticons, etc. as well.

It doesn't matter in the long run. All any player in WoW cares about is having fun, and
    as long as the person they're playing with is contributing to that, their gender is for the
    most part, irrelevant.

That being said, I've had the odd occasion in my long years of playing this game. From
    getting whispers from someone claiming to be female (and being a bit too strong on the
    sexual advances), to playing as a female character, and having the once in a blue moon
    player hitting on me, assuming I am female.

However, those are very rare occurrences. Most players just don't bat an eyelash on gender
    anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IKT View Post
    I think once jokes because so repeated and worn out (like "make me a sandwich") they should be called something else, like an unjoke or something similar.
    You mean, shit? Because that is what I call them. They were for some reason big in vanilla/tbc, was quite a bother for some of our raiders. Luckily, not so much..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't treat people differently based on gender, but on nice guy>prick. I also will keep a close eye on anyone that plays a male draenei dk because they are like peas in a pod with their egos
    Nobody likes you, everyone left you, they're all out without you havin fun.

no my character is female, but some people act funny others dont

Weirdly enough im a dude and other dudes tried to hit on me when i was playing female BE paladin.
    I play female chars occasionally because its like every freaking male horde race has a hunchback.

Contemplating rerolling alliance.

In my experience, female characters are either A. Females so they are treated like goddesses on here, or B. Players who have played the game for a while. Most 8 year olds don't pick up WoW and make their character a girl. They are usually a night elf hunter named xxxlegolasxx. So generally it makes sense to be nice to a female in game (idk about the flirty stuff tho…thats probably from xxxlegolasxx).

I generally treat people playing female chars ingame the way I would treat them in that situation I RP alot in games and to be fair I don't care weather its a boy or girl that's playing as a female char I will treat them as a female because it is polite I generally don't try to be a dush to people and especially not to female chars while I may not flirt with them I will respect them