Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Legion] Lowest APM, Highest Downtime Spec?

Hey guys, I'm looking to play a spec (DPS) that has the lowest APM (actions per minute), highest downtime rotation in the game. I do not want to use every single GCD. The more GCDs wasted the better. I would enjoy sitting around doing nothing if I could get away with it, haha. I don't mind having to think, I just don't like doing a lot of stuff. So I want your opinion: which is the slowest spec? And if you'd like, feel free to post talents which make the spec as slow as possible. Much appreciated.
    Last edited by Dokubi; 2016-07-14 at 07:54 PM.

I've heard BM hunters are pretty simple. Haven't tried them out so I can't say how much downtime they have, but have heard they run something like a 3 button rotation.

Fire mage - only cast pyroblast.

Seriously tho, it's got to be one of the ranged hunter specs.

Hasn't the enhancement Shaman a talent that makes it really slow? Boulderfist or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Phinx View Post
    Hasn't the enhancement Shaman a talent that makes it really slow? Boulderfist or something.
    Boulderfist does not make shaman really slow. It's still rather fast. Boulderfist just makes it so you aren't constantly spamming the same ability many times in a row.

I haven't played a large number of classes or specs on the beta, but I've played a handful including Frost and Blood DK, Feral and Guardian druid, Havoc DH, and all three hunter specs.

BM hunter is pretty slow with a lot of downtime, especially if you DO NOT take the Chimera Shot talent.

Select a Passive talent every tier, and avoid Focus-increasing talents or talents that make it more likely that abilities will come off CD faster, like Dire Stable, Killer Cobra and One With the Pack, to slow the spec even further.

I guess for the slowest possible BM build with the most passive damage, and ignoring AoE vs Single Target situations, I would take:
    Big Game Hunter
    Stomp
    (Irrelevant)
    Blink Strikes
    (Irrelevant)
    Volley
    Aspect of the Beast

Normally asking which spec is frowned upon, but since you are being more specific in the criteria you want the spec to meet, then this is I think a better way of going about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    I haven't played a large number of classes or specs on the beta, but I've played a handful including Frost and Blood DK, Feral and Guardian druid, Havoc DH, and all three hunter specs.

BM hunter is pretty slow with a lot of downtime, especially if you DO NOT take the Chimera Shot talent.

Select a Passive talent every tier, and avoid Focus-increasing talents or talents that make it more likely that abilities will come off CD faster, like Dire Stable, Killer Cobra and One With the Pack, to slow the spec even further.

I guess for the slowest possible BM build with the most passive damage, and ignoring AoE vs Single Target situations, I would take:
    Big Game Hunter
    Stomp
    (Irrelevant)
    Blink Strikes
    (Irrelevant)
    Volley
    Aspect of the Beast
    Thanks for the advice, I tried BM on the PTR and it's pretty nicely slow. Still wish it was slower, but if this is the slowest I'm going to get I can live with it. I think taking Barrage over Volley is just fine too. Even though you have to press Barrage 3 times a minute, it ends up spending 180 focus per minute, while volley passively spends like 70 focus per minute, leaving you with 110 focus left to have to cast nearly 3 cobra shots anyway, and personally I prefer casting Barrage to Cobra Shot.

Seriously though, Blizzard did a good job of not making any of the specs super slow if BM is the slowest currently. I know I'm in a very small minority wanting a slow spec.

- - - Updated - - -

Some further testing: Arms warrior is pretty slow too because you don't always need to spam slam, but it's a little faster than BM, so it's no good for me. Assassin rogue is about the same as Arms or a little faster. At first I thought Assassin rogue was gloriously slow but realized I wasn't using Garrote >.<

However, I think I found a spec about the same as BM. Feral Druid. Ret Pally is similar too. But the ranged factor of BM means you have to move around less, making it beat out the other two for less APM.

Just tested MM Hunter, and with Sidewinders + Patient Sniper build it's about as slow as BM. Two slow specs on one class. Looks like I'll be playing Hunter. Only other spec I can think might be good is Balance druid but without the important artifact ability I can't get a good test of it. With Wrath being such a short cast time though and costing nothing to cast I can't see Balance beating out Hunters. Dotting tons of targets for AoE adds speed too.
    Last edited by Dokubi; 2016-07-15 at 03:58 AM.

There's also the Havoc DH talent that takes away your main fury generator (replaced with auto attack). Not sure how that compares to BM hunter, but IMO melee has to move more in general so BM hunter might still win regardless.

With a single target I think Affliction Warlock with Absolute Corruption + no active talents might take the cake for slowest spec because of the channel time on Drain Life. But once you add more targets it gets faster, probably becomes about the same as Hunter, and it scales the more targets there are, whereas hunter doesn't get any faster with more targets.
    Last edited by Dokubi; 2016-07-15 at 03:55 AM.

Probably BM Hunter (it's designed to have downtime) and possibly arms warrior if you avoid taking dauntless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnr View Post
    There's also the Havoc DH talent that takes away your main fury generator (replaced with auto attack). Not sure how that compares to BM hunter, but IMO melee has to move more in general so BM hunter might still win regardless.
    This is up there, has around a 25% downtime
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

I think probably BM hunter avoiding any active talent that can be avoided go all passives. That would have some pretty big spots where you are just waiting for something to pop up or a proc to happen.

BM hunter, maybe assassination rogue.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Easily a Mage. Basically you just spam your one spell and react to procs. It's so so easy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mortry View Post
    Easily a Mage. Basically you just spam your one spell and react to procs. It's so so easy.
    It's not slow though, you need lightning fast reactions for proc-based specs.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Normally asking which spec is frowned upon, but since you are being more specific in the criteria you want the spec to meet, then this is I think a better way of going about it.
    It's frowned upon because it's normally a subjective question. This, however, is objectively answerable.
    They have exactly 0 downtime, as do most other caster specs, though. He was asking for low APM, high downtime, so casters need not apply.

Casters have literally zero downtime, even if you're implying they are simplistic, that doesn't mean downtime, you have to spam at least one button and instantly react to procs.