Page 73 of 77 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    The 490 could be a Vega chip with not everything enabled. It would then probably have GDDR5x.
    The new fury card, would be full Vega with HBM 2.0.

AMD seems to be stepping away from their earlier schemes. As in, full chip is a 390x, with the 390 being the same chip but with less clusters.
    They seem to be doing something more along the lines like Nvidia. The 480 with full chip (like the 1080) and the 470 with clusters disabled (like the 1070).

10+ Year Old Account
    There are 2 Vega chips. The small Vega is probably going to be a "490" and "490X"

Big Vega for the Furies.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    AMD seems to be stepping away from their earlier schemes.
    They are indeed.

Their slide of their naming scheme is nothing short of confusing though.. Apparently we might get 2nd revision of the cards leading to 465/475/485/495 later on. Also you can only use the RX pre-fix if it does have over 1.5 Teroflops and 100 GB/s bandwidth.

So as far as I know, the numbers should be Generation, Tier, Revision. Hence 4 for GCN 4, 8 for tier and 0 for first revision. And Vega is probably going to be 590/580 and new Furies, unless they are ditching those away too, because Fury X really didn't make the splash it should have.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.tweaktown.com/news/52997/...ear/index.html

So rumored to be dual polaris 10.... not vega.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would a dual GPU card like that be plagued by the same problems as crossfire or does it work better somehow?

Same issues, avoid it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo6912 View Post
    Would a dual GPU card like that be plagued by the same problems as crossfire or does it work better somehow?
    Wouldn't suck up as much power as two RX 480's, but I would imagine that it really needs drivers for a performance increase. Which makes it a bad buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    Just looking at the UK both overclockers and scan have them in stock for around 600 pounds. Here in RSA several retailers have in stock as well. Even online retailers in Australia have them in stock.

It appears only the USA is having bad stock issues, or more accurately you can get the cards if you are willing to fork out way above the MSRP.
    .. uh, i had no issues using Gigaparts and ordering an MSI GTX 1080 ARMOR OC. 2 day shipping for 10 bucks, had it at my door less than 48 hours after ordering it.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo6912 View Post
    If you do it the traditional way of just slapping two GPUs on a PCB, then yes. However if you use some sort of hardware controller, then nope.

AMD has the tech to do it and they might possibly do this as a trial run for Navi, though we have 0 info on Navi and the way it will utilize mGPU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    .. uh, i had no issues using Gigaparts and ordering an MSI GTX 1080 ARMOR OC. 2 day shipping for 10 bucks, had it at my door less than 48 hours after ordering it.
    Well then, there you go, looks like Geforce 1070/1080 stocks are not as bad as some make it out to be.

Well then, there you go, looks like Geforce 1070/1080 stocks are not as bad as some make it out to be.
    That's not how this works, hun. Though when you take anecdotal evidence and try to extrapolate massively I'm not really surprised you really believe that... the GTX 1080 simply up and vanish in a few days here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoKs View Post
    http://www.tweaktown.com/news/52997/...ear/index.html

So rumored to be dual polaris 10.... not vega.
    If that is true, I'd avoid it like plague. Crossfire is good, when it works, the problem is - it has tendency not to work with new titles, support for it is usually patched in later (that is IF it is done to begin with), but it is just frustrating experience until then.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    If that is true, I'd avoid it like plague. Crossfire is good, when it works, the problem is - it has tendency not to work with new titles, support for it is usually patched in later (that is IF it is done to begin with), but it is just frustrating experience until then.
    That's presuming they don't have a hardware controller on the PCB if they do this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    That's not how this works, hun. Though when you take anecdotal evidence and try to extrapolate massively I'm not really surprised you really believe that... the GTX 1080 simply up and vanish in a few days here.
    Isn't that what everyone is basically doing? No facts have been presented by either side in this argument. Although I can find quite a number of Geforce 1080's in stock across several countries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    That's presuming they don't have a hardware controller on the PCB if they do this.
    IF AMD found a way to make two GPUs function like one GPU, then sure. Without needing game developers or drivers to be constantly patched to support it. It should function as one big GPU.

Isn't that what everyone is basically doing? No facts have been presented by either side in this argument. Although I can find quite a number of Geforce 1080's in stock across several countries.
    Founders editions seem to be available in better quantities as do some more basic versions, I'm still waiting for my MSI gtx 1080 gaming x which irdered on 21/06 and might be available around mid July, maybe. If you are happy with one of the other cards, by all means buy one, I'll keep waiting on my preffered one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    IF AMD found a way to make two GPUs function like one GPU, then sure. Without needing game developers or drivers to be constantly patched to support it. It should function as one big GPU.
    Two chips on the same interposer. Or explicit multi-adapter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Considering what Navi is supposed to be, I'm pretty sure they have something in plan actually. Not exactly an easy way for sure though. Navi is slated for scalability and another generation of memory tech. Multiple dies on one interposer acting as one gigantic GPU would be cost effective, good performance, and potentially break the 600mm2~ limitation of yield + performance. However, that is something for 2018.

Not really, no. The issue is people looking for specific versions of the 1080, really.

NewEgg, Amazon, and Gigaparts all have 1080s in stock right this second. They just aren't necessarily the specific models people are looking for. That's why i went (after some research) with the MSI ARMOR OC that Gigaparts ha(s/d) in stock when i ordered - after realizing that it is identical to the Gaming X model just with a slightly different (but equally good) cooler, i went ahead and ordered it. For cheaper than the Gaming X too.

If you're looking for a particular model of 1080, then, sure, supplies are limited (the EVGA FTW and SSC models are impossible to find and go out of stock within minutes of the "now in stock" emails going out), but if all you're looking for is a 1080 (either aftermarket cooler or FE) then they are available.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/16...096/spy/15835#
    Wat
    AMD Radeon RX 480 (1x Off) (1,530 MHz) people are saying this is an AIB card, O.o
    If true (the AIB part, not if some nutjob went LN on it) wonder what change would allow that.