Quote Originally Posted by Selly View Post
    That's not really an unreasonable opinion when the cooldown is as long as it is though. If it were still the 20 seconds it is on live, then I agree it would be a pretty silly notion, but 45 seconds without being able to do anything meaningful is honestly pretty shitty (especially with the rage starvation that comes with not getting any procs).
    To a degree I agree with you, which is why I'm ok with a minor reduction in the cooldown or the two mitigation ideas listed earlier.

That being said no matter what the cooldown, at times you're going to have a point where you're waiting a significant period of time were CS doesn't proc.

Does it suck? Yeah. That's the point. It can't always be up. It has to have parts were the spec doesn't he access to CS. Otherwise numbers have to be rebalanced, and the moments where you are chaining CS together, done feel as fun. Variance exists so things don't become static and boring.

And don't tell me that a large amount of RNG doesn't exist for other specs (Arcane Mages on Live), or in other games (Mana Flood/Screw in Magic the Gathering for example). It can be good for the game to have some level of RNG. It isn't to the point where people are being so melodramatic about.

That makes sense though, doesn't it? Why mitigate something that's fun and feels good? It's not even a desire to be overpowered (well, I'm sure it is for some people), just to have fun while playing; it's only a problem if it leads to unacceptably high overall performance, and that's just a tuning issue. One that might end up making the spec a little less bursty, but I don't think that would be a huge problem, honestly.
    It could play a huge issue with the identity of the spec moving forward. If the resets are occurring at a rate that never makes it feel like there's a cooldown to CS it reduces the importance of the CS Windows. Suddenly it's up all the time and it never feels special.

Or its been balanced so that your time with CS and without, aren't as important.

It also has a lot more implications than that. What happens to the Legendary Pants that apply CS with Heroic Leap? What happens to the tier bonus that gives us extra CS resets?

While I'm not a fan of the design to prop up specs with other items, it seems to be a trend that Blizzard isn't backing down from, and shold be considered when giving feedback.

All of these are reasons why it isn't ok, for it to just be reduced to older levels that we're used to with Arms.
    Last edited by Kirbydude65; 2016-07-15 at 04:18 PM.
    Curoar, Arms Warrior of 15 years.

Deleted
    Even if the cooldown got reduced to 25 seconds you would still have up to 17-second gaps of no CS. That is more than enough downtime to make it feel rewarding when you get chain procs.

To be clear, I think the proc rate and average uptime is fine on the beta, at least as Fervor spec. I only have a problem with the extreme gaps that can occur. 37 seconds is way too fucking long to not be benefiting from your mastery and central spec mechanic at all.

The "feast or famine" idea is potentially ok, if that means that after tuning, when an Arms warrior is "feasting" that his damage is higher than the norm across all classes, just as when the Arms warrior is "famining" that his damage is lower than the norm. The question is whether that's actually the case. And that taken at face value doesn't even take into consideration the issues it could raise in PvP situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbydude65 View Post
    RNG isn't inherently bad. In fact the game has benefitted from RNG being implemented into class design on a mechanical level.

As long as tools are given to help combat bad RNG (IE Warbreaker, the RPPM System, ect ) in the hands of a skilled player there should be no issues with swingy damage.

I completely disagree that any adjustments are just bandaid fixes for a larger problem. There has to be a downtime in any spec. That's how this game has functioned for the last 8 years. Streaks of bad RNG are part of any spec, and can screw over players.

The only thing that needs to happen for Arms (in terms of Tactician and CS) is a slight change to the cooldown of Colossus Smash so you're not as penalized for not reseting the ability. 10 seconds at most is what's needed for the adjustment.
    I never said RNG is inherently bad, I said RNG factored into core mechanics is inherently bad. Core mechanics are the absolute basis of playing a character. Playing is the key word in that sentence. RNG in core mechanics takes control away from the player and makes it feel like watching a slot machine. If I wanted to play Roulette, I'd go and play Roulette.

You can have peripheral mechanics or additional abilities affected by RNG and it's fine, like Overpower for example. Having something that buffs your damage output by 50%+ revolve around RNG is ludicrous, however.

Additionally, you say streaks of bad RNG are a part of any spec - correct, but it's about the scale of that effect that has on class performance. A bad streak of RNG should not feel like a class' momentum grinds to a halt. This isn't about downtime, it's about control over that downtime and the extent of that downtime (feast & famine vs. a bit slower)

For example, let's say CS uptime is 50%, just as a hypothetical figure. There's two ways to approach reaching roughly 50% - either:

a) You have CS last 8 sec with a CD of 45 sec and have a CD refresh with 4PPM.
    b) You have CS last 8 sec with a CD of 16 sec.

One of those approaches maintains player control yet still achieves the desired uptime. Not that I'm saying you need to completely eliminate RNG but a moderate approach is required.

I'm not saying screw RNG completely and I understand the flavour it can bring. However, the entire issue here is about how far you go with RNG. Going too far with it is not only unsatisfying from a playing perspective but also difficult to balance effectively. It also compromises quality design which is what I meant in an earlier post by Blizzard seemingly allowing their love for RNG to undermine the quality of their mechanics design.

I'm also not interested in hearing arguments comparing Arms to other specs with the same issue (like Arcane Mages). Saying another class/spec has it just as bad does not validate it, it simply means other players are experiencing the same issues.
    Last edited by Aqueous; 2016-07-15 at 03:56 PM.

Does it suck? Yeah. That's the point. It can't always be up. It has to have parts were the spec doesn't he access to CS. Otherwise numbers have to be rebalanced, and the moments where you are chaining CS together, done feel as fun. Variance exists so things don't become static and boring.
    Given what the current design seems to be going for, no, it can't always be up, and that's definitely not what I'm advocating. But as Erica says, even with a 25-second cooldown, you could still have a 17-second gap, which is plenty sucky.

And don't tell me that a large amount of RNG doesn't exist for other specs (Arcane Mages on Live), or in other games (Mana Flood/Screw in Magic the Gathering for example). It can be good for the game to have some level of RNG. It isn't to the point where people are being so melodramatic about.
    Absolutely, but I never said it doesn't exist for other specs; I just said it doesn't exist for all other specs, and personally I enjoy the ones without it a lot more. Arms has historically always been one of them, to boot. IMO, RNG should be an added spice, not the core of a spec. Overpower (if specced) is an example of good RNG, which feels fun when it procs, as opposed to pissing you off when it doesn't (awful shoulder slam animation notwithstanding … honestly, does anyone actually like that?).

Whether it's worth getting annoyed over in the current build, well, that's subjective. Some, like yourself, are going to be fine with it, while for me (and others), regularly going 40+ seconds without procs simply makes me want to not play Arms. That's not really being melodramatic, that's just difference in how much tolerance one has for this stuff.

For what it's worth, it ends up feeling a lot better in PvP, due to the Shadow of the Colossus talent. But that's a bit of a band-aid solution, and it becomes a required talent a lot of the time.

What happens to the Legendary Pants that apply CS with Heroic Leap? What happens to the tier bonus that gives us extra CS resets?

While I'm not a fan of the design to prop up specs with other items, it seems to be a trend that Blizzard isn't backing down from, and shold be considered when giving feedback.
    I'm not a fan of it either, and wish they'd do away with it. The copy-pasted Diablo III legendaries feel extremely frickin' gimmicky. I'd much rather have »boring« set bonuses and actually functioning baseline specs. As you say though, we seem to be stuck with this.
    Last edited by Selly; 2016-07-15 at 08:02 PM. Reason: (Fixed a typo.)

Quote Originally Posted by Aqueous View Post
    I never said RNG is inherently bad, I said RNG factored into core mechanics is inherently bad. Core mechanics are the absolute basis of playing a character. Playing is the key word in that sentence. RNG in core mechanics takes control away from the player and makes it feel like watching a slot machine. If I wanted to play Roulette, I'd go and play Roulette.
    Well this is untrue for WoW's design, as well as game design as a whole. RNG can be factored into core mechanics and be fine. Sometimes mechanics are out of your hands, like Enrage with Fury on Live. We've all heard the, "I went 4 bloodthirt's without a crit!" That happens. Likewise other games have RNG tied to core mechanics. Magic the Gathering, one of the world's most popular card games, has this with mana and lands. Sometimes you draw too few, and sometimes you draw too many lands. It doesn't make the game terrible or unplayable by any means. This is your own personal opinion.

Additionally, you say streaks of bad RNG are a part of any spec - correct, but it's about the scale of that effect that has on class performance. A bad streak of RNG should not feel like a class' momentum grinds to a halt. This isn't about downtime, it's about control over that downtime and the extent of that downtime (feast & famine vs. a bit slower)
    Which is why I've stated a minor change to CS's cooldown, or the two mechanics I mentioned Earlier (Extending the duration/giving CS charges) would help with that. A minor change, combined with Warbreaker, you should have a solid uptime. There doesn't need to be this major 90% uptime on the debuff.

For example, let's say CS uptime is 50%, just as a hypothetical figure. There's two ways to approach reaching roughly 50% - either:

a) You have CS last 8 sec with a CD of 45 sec and have a CD refresh with 4PPM.
    b) You have CS last 8 sec with a CD of 16 sec.

One of those approaches maintains player control yet still achieves the desired uptime. Not that I'm saying you need to completely eliminate RNG but a moderate approach is required.
    Considering that without tier, or legendaries we already have around a 60% uptime on the debuff. We have a solid uptime, we have a solid amount of resets. A minor change is all that's really needed.

I'm not saying screw RNG completely and I understand the flavour it can bring. However, the entire issue here is about how far you go with RNG. Going too far with it is not only unsatisfying from a playing perspective but also difficult to balance effectively. It also compromises quality design which is what I meant in an earlier post by Blizzard seemingly allowing their love for RNG to undermine the quality of their mechanics design.
    Balancing hasn't been a huge issues yet, considering we're not even done tuning. The main problem we're having in terms of numbers right now is mainly just Fervor For Battle trumping everything else. Otherwise we've been balanced pretty well, in terms of DPS output. This isn't something like WoD Arms at launch where we had a hilarious issue with tuning due to a very small window, and nothing that interacted with itself.

I'm also not interested in hearing arguments comparing Arms to other specs with the same issue (like Arcane Mages). Saying another class/spec has it just as bad does not validate it, it simply means other players are experiencing the same issues.
    Once again, you're placing your own opinion in front of something that's proven to work. Arcane was balanced (when fights lasted longer than 2 minutes) in HFC, had a high RNG effect, and players enjoyed it. Simply because you don't enjoy it, doesn't mean other people won't.
    Curoar, Arms Warrior of 15 years.

Deleted
    Balancing hasn't been a huge issues yet, considering we're not even done tuning. The main problem we're having in terms of numbers right now is mainly just Fervor For Battle trumping everything else. Otherwise we've been balanced pretty well, in terms of DPS output. This isn't something like WoD Arms at launch where we had a hilarious issue with tuning due to a very small window, and nothing that interacted with itself.
    Fervor of Battle is not the main problem. The main problem is other two abilities. First one is Avatar and 1.5 min CD. This could be solved by changing CD to 1 min so u can line it up with Battle Cry or Warbreaker or maybe some trinkets, overall 1 min CD is far more convenient. Now Rend it's kinda lackluster by itself (warriors + dots idk bout that), so it should really give us something special for us warriors to take it under consideration. Example make Rend work similar to Feral's Rip spell. Increasing duration to at least 20 seconds, and making Execute refresh duration, so u don't waste that valuable 15 rage in already rage starved execute phase. Or to make Rend WoD style, so it would give us X rage on every thick.

Fervor is the benchmark, and I agree most of the other talents need to be enhanced to match its effectiveness. Any build that's not Fervor just sucks basically. For single target I actually kind of like playing a Rend/Overpower build, it's just not good right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Artunias View Post
    I've liked the idea of charges since it was first mentioned, but that's not going to happen.
    You know this is going to become a tier set bonus or some legendary down the road

Maybe we should stop giving them ideas for future tier sets and see if they actually try these things on the base spec.

Deleted
    I haven't followed this thread for some time , I would appreciate , if someone could bring me up to speed and tell me how is Arms doing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Artunias View Post
    Fervor is the benchmark, and I agree most of the other talents need to be enhanced to match its effectiveness. Any build that's not Fervor just sucks basically. For single target I actually kind of like playing a Rend/Overpower build, it's just not good right now.

Thing is while FoB is strong I'm not convinced it's quite as strong as everyone is making out. I've tried talking about how good Focused Rage is once you learn how to use it optimally but it seems no-one is really interested in having a discussion about it which is fair enough I guess seeing how much hate that particular talent has received.

It's mostly from my personal experience but I am getting much better results using this build (small variance between Rend/Avatar):
    http://beta.wowdb.com/talent-calculator#CdeF

I certainly don't agree that any build without Fervor automatically sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrow View Post
    Thing is while FoB is strong I'm not convinced it's quite as strong as everyone is making out. I've tried talking about how good Focused Rage is once you learn how to use it optimally but it seems no-one is really interested in having a discussion about it which is fair enough I guess seeing how much hate that particular talent has received.

It's mostly from my personal experience but I am getting much better results using this build (small variance between Rend/Avatar):
    http://beta.wowdb.com/talent-calculator#CdeF

I certainly don't agree that any build without Fervor automatically sucks.
    plz help how yo use optimally, should i use FR only to not cap rage or should i priorize slam over FR - should i wait stack 3 FR before use MS when i have CS up or no - plz, give me tips becouse on dummies i never can get closer to Fob using any FR build

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by orgonutil View Post
    plz help how yo use optimally, should i use FR only to not cap rage or should i priorize slam over FR - should i wait stack 3 FR before use MS when i have CS up or no - plz, give me tips becouse on dummies i never can get closer to Fob using any FR build

The idea behind FR is to focus (heh) on rage efficiency, while this is something that has been important to Warrior dps since day 1 of vanilla it's doubly important to consider when playing with FR. Also worth noting that its only real use is single target but if you can plan ahead effectively during an encounter then it is also excellent at target switching and unloading a ridiculous amount of burst (see the below section on Battle Cry).

Slam and FR both cost the same amount - 12 rage (red. from 15 with Dauntless), each stack of FR boosts the damage of MS by 50% while Slam does very slightly more than 50% of the damage of MS so its natural to look at them both and think "meh not much difference".

When it comes to spending your rage if you cast Slam on its own that's it, you've spent that rage on a miserly low damage attack and haven't gotten much for it. Instead if you spend it on FR then that rage can potentially benefit from both CS (+60% ~) damage and Shattered Defences (+30% damage and critical chance). This does not mean that every CS followed by a Shattered Defence buffed MS has to have 3 stacks of FR, it's nice if you can but you don't want to delay whacking CS. Also the only time you should ever hit Slam with the build I linked is when you will otherwise hit rage cap and Battle Cry is not up but this will not be very often.

Regarding Battle Cry you want to maximise everything you can get out of the window. Have 3 stacks of FR before hitting CS, pop BC just before MS and immediately hit FR after MS to try and proc Tactician - if you get an early proc of Tactician then you're golden and you'll be able to fit in another fully buffed MS inside the BC window and your dps will skyrocket. Otherwise you want to use Whirlwind as your filler while rage costs are reduced as it has the highest chance to proc tactician, you might find it helpful to macro FR to Whirlwind specifically just for use during BC.

I apologise if I've rambled on a bit and wrote too much but that should hopefully give you a slightly better idea how to play with FR. If you/anyone else wants I can go into more detail or record a brief video demonstrating it.

The idea behind FR is to focus (heh) on rage efficiency, while this is something that has been important to Warrior dps since day 1 of vanilla it's doubly important to consider when playing with FR. Also worth noting that its only real use is single target but if you can plan ahead effectively during an encounter then it is also excellent at target switching and unloading a ridiculous amount of burst (see the below section on Battle Cry).

Slam and FR both cost the same amount - 12 rage (red. from 15 with Dauntless), each stack of FR boosts the damage of MS by 50% while Slam does very slightly more than 50% of the damage of MS so its natural to look at them both and think "meh not much difference".

When it comes to spending your rage if you cast Slam on its own that's it, you've spent that rage on a miserly low damage attack and haven't gotten much for it. Instead if you spend it on FR then that rage can potentially benefit from both CS (+60% ~) damage and Shattered Defences (+30% damage and critical chance). This does not mean that every CS followed by a Shattered Defence buffed MS has to have 3 stacks of FR, it's nice if you can but you don't want to delay whacking CS. Also the only time you should ever hit Slam with the build I linked is when you will otherwise hit rage cap and Battle Cry is not up but this will not be very often.

Regarding Battle Cry you want to maximise everything you can get out of the window. Have 3 stacks of FR before hitting CS, pop BC just before MS and immediately hit FR after MS to try and proc Tactician - if you get an early proc of Tactician then you're golden and you'll be able to fit in another fully buffed MS inside the BC window and your dps will skyrocket. Otherwise you want to use Whirlwind as your filler while rage costs are reduced as it has the highest chance to proc tactician, you might find it helpful to macro FR to Whirlwind specifically just for use during BC.

I apologise if I've rambled on a bit and wrote too much but that should hopefully give you a slightly better idea how to play with FR. If you/anyone else wants I can go into more detail or record a brief video demonstrating it.
    nice explanation, but a video with details on keybindings and macros would be nice too

The idea behind FR is to ... SNIP
    Really love hearing about an alternative play style - excellent stuff here. What situations are you using this build in? Dungeons, raids, questing, etc? AM takes a lot of flak because of how it makes it harder to line up cool downs, so if you've tried this in a raid setting I'd be interested to hear your perspective on that. The goal seems to be getting Battle Cry going as often as possible.

My other question is, why Rend over FoB? (Not questioning your decision, genuinely curious) Especially since you do say you use WW as a filler during BC. Do you find it doesn't steal rage from where you'd rather be putting it, into FR?
    Last edited by Qoma; 2016-07-16 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Qoma View Post
    Really love hearing about an alternative play style - excellent stuff here. What situations are you using this build in? Dungeons, raids, questing, etc? AM takes a lot of flak because of how it makes it harder to line up cool downs, so if you've tried this in a raid setting I'd be interested to hear your perspective on that. The goal seems to be getting Battle Cry going as often as possible.

My other question is, why Rend over FoB? (Not questioning your decision, genuinely curious) Especially since you do say you use WW as a filler during BC. Do you find it doesn't steal rage from where you'd rather be putting it, into FR?
    FR build is for single target only pretty much, maybe 2 target cleave if you used Sweeping Strikes but playing Arms without Dauntless is pretty iffy. The reason you don't hear about it is because to play it optimally you basically have to use macros to spam 3 abilities every GCD during Battle Cry. It goes from BC-CS-MS-filler-filler-filler-MS to something like BC-> CS + Hamstring + FR-> MS + Hamstring + FR -> Slam/WW + Hamstring + FR -> etc. The idea being that constantly spamming off the GCD attacks during Battle Cry (because Deadly Calm = no rage costs) gives you 3 chances at once to reset Tactician AND factors into Anger Management's cooldown reduction.

Avatar is probably more suited for FR than Rend because 1) Rend is trash and 2) it's not that difficult to drop BC's cooldown to 30-40 seconds with AM, so you could line up Avatar with your 4th BC.

You don't use FoB because, in the FR build, FR is your primary filler. You won't have the rage to use both FR and WW, so taking FoB means it will only get use during BC.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Qoma View Post

Pretty much what Volgon said, FR is mostly just for single target and while it has some use for two target cleave playing Arms without Dauntless at least at the start of the expansion is a bit iffy. Also you'll use WW as your filler during BC even if you don't take FoB because of it's higher chance to proc Tactician with Deadly Calm negating the rage cost, you simply don't use WW enough to justify taking Fervor.

@volgon
    Not sure I agree that Rend is trash. Sure it's not exactly the most exciting ability we have but in a FR build your entire focus is on rage efficiency which its excellent for. Usually when I take Rend its sat at around 10-12% of my total damage and MS around 60-ish, for one GCD every 15 seconds that's well worth it IMO. Not to say Avatar isn't good I just often find that it doesn't line up particularly well with BC and that I end up delaying one of them by too much.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, didn't realise that FoB got nerfed to 30%.

dont know if any of you guys have seen it but fervor for battle only increases WW by 30% now in beta, anyone know what this does in regards to how powerful this now places slam in comparison to FoB WW?

7+ Year Old Account
    Rofl this ninja nerf...furtive hotfix?

Slam's rage cost got buffed.It's 20 rage without dauntless now.But the damage rate is still the same.
    Last edited by Dark Succ; 2018-06-06 at 11:39 AM.