Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I was a huge supporter of the silence penalty until Asmongold's video. The fact that's automated sets a disturbing precedent of censoring people simply because others don't like what you say. Automated systems do not belong in a punishment format by any means.

I hope this causes some changes. I'm not worried about being silenced myself because I'm overall not what I'd call a hostile person, but I don't really support any system that simply goes by "majority rules". It says that unpopular opinions that aren't aggressive or hateful can be silenced in WoW, and that's messed up.

Overall I'd say I'm...cautiously supportive of the system despite this. Maybe being called out on a system that is clearly automated will make them put at least a cursory amount of monitoring into it.
    I still absolutely think Blizzard should have gone the route of supporting positive interaction instead of punishing negative interaction, though. LoL, FFXIV, and a myriad of other games all use a "thumbs up" or commendation system to tell a random player after playing with them that they were cool/nice/did a good job, etc, and I think it's a huge deterrent for assholery when you tie rewards to a system like that, and it also avoids stuff like this. Negative behavior would naturally go down because people simply have a reason to not treat players like shit.
    Last edited by Irian; 2016-07-21 at 12:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    You have proof of this happening I take it?
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20747784573

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    The second an active blizzard team member gets silenced on their own PERSONAL account - so that they know how it feels to have the freedom of speech/basically a SEMI-BAN in the game for literally saying something like: "LFG bigdaddy, pst" - they will change this bullshit
    Blizzard HQ is becoming a multi-million dollar safe space.

Sylvanas' corset was merely a setback.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    If something can be abused it will be.
    Oh, I can do that too

<insert glib response that responds to nothing>

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by I Regret Nothing View Post
    Blizzard HQ is becoming a multi-million dollar safe space.

Sylvanas' corset was merely a setback.
    <333 oh Sylvanas ripinpeaceeee - you will be mist <333

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    That responds pretty perfectly. The problem with this system is that it CAN be abused, and easily.

How could players abuse a system where GMs are the ones handing out silences? I can't think of an easy answer

How could they abuse this system? Literally clicking twice with a mouse.
    I just don't see how we had an issue before.. I mean it's almost like they want all of us to quit. I have 0 freaken issues with blizzard until the silence shit started being talked about.. so I bit my tongue thinking - YOU KNOW WUT m8, maybe this could be good?! - hell nah, abused as fuck, and now Blizzard isn't even responding to us, it's fucking ridiculous.

Friendship moose guy got reported and silenced too now. Bullshit it isn't automated.

https://twitter.com/Zelse007/status/755907002635878401

Quote Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
    Way to completely miss the point that the system is automated and not in fact something that actual flesh and blood human beings are overseeing and handing out punishments accordingly. In other words everyone who said this sounded bad is right. Nothing you say in response will change that.
    You get auto silenced, you create a ticket, after 30 minutes you are un-silenced.
    The people muting you will get punished for abuse.
    Yes, the initial stage of it is automated, but that doesn't mean anything once the GM's review your ticket.

As for the people thinking this will be abused at any rate over 0.0000000001%, LYLZ!

7+ Year Old Account
    i think its fine, it could maybe do a pre-check of

"key words"

or

"how many messeges in the past 2 minutes"

before auto silenceing people

im glad it does it, as it stops the spammers there and then, for a gm to later come see if its worth the full time, or to unsilence them, but i do think it could do these...

remember people this is not fully automated, it is a automated "detain" then a manual silence, it stops the spammers from spamming, then a gm comes in, checks it out, and chooses to let them go, or to silence them for the full time
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    I didn't miss it, I responded to it exactly. Paying for something doesn't entitle you to behave however you wish.
    Nope.

My point to atsawin's "a game owned by a private company" was simply that players are paying for the game, and thus have a right to demand a better product for their money. IOW it's not just "Blizzes game". Had nothing to do with how people act in trade chat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
    And here is more proof
    Ahem... "Everyone on my server dislikes me and haven't said anything offensive."

I'm happy for the part where telling someone to kill themselves gets you silenced.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Ahem... "Everyone on my server dislikes me and haven't said anything offensive."
    That's grounds for silencing?

Quote Originally Posted by Funky View Post
    I told someone to kill themselves and got silenced.

THE INJUSTICE.
    huh? .
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I'm not entirely sure this constitutes as "proof". You're basically just going off of some persons word, without the proof. He could have legitamtly deserved to be silenced, and is now making up some story to try and get rid of the new system. Hell, he may not even of been silenced and is just saying he is so that he gets more supporters for the system he just doesn't like.
    Oh ya bro? Well what I am absolutely certain of is that wild speculation and opinions about players you do not know and an entire server community you an unfamiliar with is irrelevant to anything at all whatsoever, but what is relevant is the fact it has already been proven that the system auto silences people.

Trolls even managed to get Friendship Moose guy silenced, get real dude.
    Last edited by Shakou; 2016-07-21 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    That's grounds for silencing?
    Only according to people who cede the argument in favor of the silence penalty with appeal to authority fallacies. Not even worth debating those types, because in the extreme unlikelihood they're not just trolling they're too thick to comprehend that the system auto silences people regardless of what they say.

In this case, dude is guilty of joking around in global channels and saying something stupid, but not at all offensive at best.

What the majority of us old timers have to put up with are the random casuals and bottom feeders that interject conversations where people are just being social and having a good time with threats of reports and so on.

Sorry but as you can see clearly from two days alone of this system going live the only solution to actually deal with problematic players in terms of chat, is to install an addon to block gold seller spam and/or auto report them and to ignore or report players who have actually committed offenses.

Sounds like people are just going to have to put on their big boy pants and stop the nonsense.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    This might just be the best feature in this game in a looooong time.

Do you know him personally?
    Did you read his email sent by Blizzard?
    Do you know his story is 100% true?

If not, it isn't "proof"... it's just some guys story.
    Asmongold literally showed in his stream how he got silenced automatically because enough people reported him. For saying "I love World of Warcraft". The system is broken.

The positive side is, this will wake up a shitstorm and popular YouTubers are already jumping on the bandwagon. Blizzard will have no choice but to put out some kind of response.

What would be proof?

Suppose Shakou tells you that he knows the silenced guy personally. Well, you'll just say that Shakou might be lying to make a point, no? Because you have no way to verify that he knows the silenced guy personally. Same for your other questions.

Yes, we don't know all the details. But that's normal, we almost never know all the details. Welcome to real life. This is not a reason to stop thinking and making observations and conclusions. Change what everyone here is saying from "the system is bad, it allows silencing innocents, here are examples already" to "in my opinion, the system is bad; in my opinion, it allows silencing innocents; I think there are several examples already" if you feel better that way, this won't change a thing.

I didn't have to be there I am a player on this server and have been for over ten years, extremely well aware of how this community operates and how people are, not in the least bit surprising to find him and other long time players on the server harmlessly joking around in global channels and people complaining about it. No doubt the same sort of people who were certain this system was going to be the greatest system ever.

Beyond that, what you are failing to comprehend is the simple fact that it does not matter whether or not I have concrete proof that this specific instance wasn't warranted, the point is that the system auto silences people regardless of whether or not an offense was committed. That is the issue, and given how many well known players in a global sense have already been silenced Blizzard too is already well aware they dun goofed. So whatever guy, you can either choose to be completely oblivious of reality and assume the worst of people or apply some basic common sense and realize you too could get any player you want in this game silenced if you simply get enough people to also report him or her.
    Last edited by Shakou; 2016-07-21 at 07:00 AM.

We were discussing some persons thread on the official forums, unless this is the same person.
    Actually I think we were just discussing how you have nothing of value to add to this conversation and just keep interjecting with the same nonsense.

We get it, you're being intentionally obtuse. Boring. Too bad this forum doesn't have a feature to block posters whose posts you don't want to see anymore.