Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    Exeept he wasn't just some randomly disabled kid he picked off the street to shit on. He was a public figure.
    He was a 9 year old child (13 at the time) so hardly a public figure, even the British tabloids have a sliver of respect and don't shit on young children.

did she win?
    She won a defamation law-suit but most of it went to her lawyer.

It's almost like comedy is used as a coping mechanism to deal with human suffering...by making light of it.

*Drops mic*
    It hardly seems fair that a non-disabled person can only cope with their life by making fun of a disabled person.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    And you US Americans can't seem to grasp your type of "Freedom of speech" is not something the majority of people around the world want, I'm happy for you guys that you can obsess over it but stop pushing your shit on us.
    Can you present any studies where the majority of people say they want oppressive regimes of authoritarian thought police.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    He was a 9 year old child (13 at the time) so hardly a public figure, even the British tabloids have a sliver of respect and don't shit on young children.
    Hardly seems fair that a non-disabled person can only cope with their life by making fun of a disabled person.

According to the link you provided on the United Nations Articles, what he did would be perfectly acceptable from what you linked.

No can you present any that says they want your kind of freedom.

If people around the world wanted what you have they would probably vote people into power that had that kind of view.

I don't get why you people obsess over freedom of speech JUST for the sake of freedom of speech - you make it out to be more relevant than it actually is. And before you start on some slippery slope kind of nonsense, the systems most countries have is not really escalating.

In my opinion the USA has less practical freedom than most of the rest of the world.
    If you do not have any evidence, why would you boldly proclaim the majority of people do not want Freedom of Speech?

Name one government that actively is attempting to give more and more freedoms to it's citizens.

Europe has always been ruled by the elites who are loathe to allow Freedom of Speech to the masses. The Europeans in my opinion have always been complacent towards the rules the elites have put upon them. Quite content under a Monarchy.

You are a good loyal citizen to your rulers. I am sure they are quite happy for you not to question and demand right's of thought, expression, and speech.

He made a joke at a comedy theater. He was voted the “best comedian” of the year at that particular theater. It made me laugh. An artist/comedian should have the right to try and be funny without being sued. If you're easily offended, then don't go to a comedy club starring Mike Ward. He shouldn't be sued if there is any semblence of freedom of speech in Canada.

Patrice O'neal makes a great point. Everyone who is being offended is getting this information second hand. The video is specifically about the Opie and Anthony radio show making rape jokes.

Last edited by Pipebomb; 2016-07-21 at 10:18 AM.

I did you chose to ignore it like the tin-foil hatter you are.
    Here is our conversation on the matter:

And you US Americans can't seem to grasp your type of "Freedom of speech" is not something the majority of people around the world want,
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    Can you present any studies where the majority of people say they want oppressive regimes of authoritarian thought police.
    No
    If you do not have any evidence, why would you boldly proclaim the majority of people do not want Freedom of Speech?
    I did you chose to ignore it

And, you followed it up with personal attacks, always a clear sign you lost the argument.

Thank you for playing.

Better luck next time!
    Last edited by Super Friendly Kitty Cat; 2016-07-21 at 11:51 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    And I disagree, a person's right to make a disabled child miserable is less important than that child's right to a decent quality of life.
    Did he? Or did that little asshole saw an opportunity to grab some easy pity money and took it?
    Making someone "miserable" is such a subjective term that the potential for straight out abuse is massive. Anyone with hurt feelings, or faking them, can just sue someone else for something trivial that they personally find offensive.

Also nobody on this planet is guaranteed a decent quality of life. If I wanted to worry about someone's quality of life, a disabled jerk that has the money and time to burn on witchhunt trials wouldn't be my first choice. If you want to cry over someone's quality of life then do it for an african child soldier, or child slave working in a sweat shop somewhere in China.

First world problems FTW!
    Last edited by mmoc438dc94cad; 2016-07-21 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Undead Puppy View Post
    Did he? Or did that little asshole saw an opportunity to grab some easy pity money and took it?
    Making someone "miserable" is such a subjective term that the potential for straight out abuse is massive. Anyone with hurt feelings, or faking them, can just sue someone else for something trivial that they personally find offensive.

Also nobody on this planet is guaranteed a decent quality of life. If I wanted to worry about someone's quality of life a disabled jerk that has the money and time to burn on witchhunt trials. If you want to cry over someone's quality of life then do it for an african child soldier, or child slave working in a sweat shop somewhere in China.

First world problems FTW!
    Doing the things you propose would take personal sacrfice, time, and a lot of energy.

Better to feign mock outrage behind keyboards on general off-topic sub-forums. That way everyone will know they are badasses and care about people!

Deleted
    Doing the things you propose would take personal sacrfice, time, and a lot of energy.

Better to feign mock outrage behind keyboards on general off-topic sub-forums. That way everyone will know they are badasses and care about people!
    You're jumping ahead of yourself.
    I don't give a shit about any of the people I listed. I don't need to do jack shit for anyone.
    My outrage is directed at people who support this kind of "social justice" because they think it will somehow make the world a better place.
    Their hypocrisy is both entertaining and frustrating at the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why does the OP not have a source? Or anything?

Trey Parker and Matt Stone better stay out of Canada...

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Yes, there are no standards anymore.

Poor headline, poor formatting of words in the OP, and no link for people to follow and read a bit about it for themselves.

whelp...I think at least 90% of the kids I went to school with owe at least 1 person $35,000 (CA), if not owing several folks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I believe their tally would be in the billions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    whelp...I think at least 90% of the kids I went to school with owe at least 1 person $35,000 (CA), if not owing several folks.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe their tally would be in the billions.
    No doubt, I finally played the Stick of Truth, oh man there was so much wrong with that game... But it wasn't the game play, it was actually fun...

But Islamic preachers can go in their mosques and promote stoning gays, destroying Israel or that men can beat or rape their wives who are disobedient. That's progressive Canada. Some idiot comic gets fined for a tasteless joke but Islamic hate-preachers are ignored.

The comic should threaten to behead people and maybe he'd get off.

here is a source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...dict-1.3688089

True, I had to look up more info on him. Turns out he seems like a nice guy and he's quite funny. He'd fit in great with the LA scene here in America. I find his joke more of a "f*ck you" to the Human Rights groups in Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...dict-1.3688089

Quebec's Human Rights Tribunal has ruled that comedian Mike Ward must pay Jérémy Gabriel $35,000 for making jokes that violated his rights. Ward has been ordered to pay the former child singer with disabilities $25,000 in moral damages and $10,000 in punitive damages. He will also need to pay Sylvie Gabriel, Jérémy's mother, a total of $5,000 to $7,000 for moral damages and $2,000 for punitive damages..
    Ward's lawyer, Julius Grey, argues that Ward was exercising freedom of expression and that his client was operating within the norms of comedy. Grey says he will appeal the decision.
    The founder of the Just for Laughs festival, Gilbert Rozon, said any time the law begins to scrutinize freedom of expression he gets worried.

"I think freedom of expression — like the assumption of innocence — is something we've worked hard for over many centuries," Rozon said following the ruling.

"I'm always worried when we get too involved in it, putting down rules, laws, over what we can and cannot say. It always gives me a certain fear."

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You wouldn't be saying that if you had to rely solely on Canadian technology, services and goods.
    There is no way I would want to live in any other North American country. I'd be quite fine without American technology, services or goods.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2016-07-21 at 01:28 PM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Blame Canada, blame Canada
    With all their beady little eyes
    And flappin' heads so full of lies

The smut we must cut, the trash we must smash
    Laughter and fun must all be undone
    We must blame them and cause a fuss
    Before someone thinks of blaming us

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    was sentenced for a mean joke on a mentally and physically handicapped kid.

But before going on ''freedom of speech rants'', he was sentenced to 35 000 $ fee. Not 3.5 million. 35 000 canadian dollars.

(The issue is that as libel suits go, 35 000 $ is damn reasonnable...)
    Well, the same kid could've pulled him to court for the same thing, though.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    But Islamic preachers can go in their mosques and promote stoning gays, destroying Israel or that men can beat or rape their wives who are disobedient. That's progressive Canada. Some idiot comic gets fined for a tasteless joke but Islamic hate-preachers are ignored.

The comic should threaten to behead people and maybe he'd get off.
    Pretty much this.

Liberals in Canada pretty much bend over and compromise their own ideals in the name of cultural diversity and religious accommodation.
    Last edited by Super Friendly Kitty Cat; 2016-07-21 at 12:54 PM.