Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    A license isn't a physical or limited thing
    Licensing aren't physical, but they are individual and are traded. They have an inherent value, and are protected as any other property.

They lose no license in the process of copied material, which is why you can't be charged for downloading a copy of something if
    Copied material worth nothing, those are just bits. The license to use those bits, however, is lost on copying, that's why you cannot use both the original and a backup or replacement copy at the same time. You still have only 1 license.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Sounds like someone who is just butthurt that he may actually have to pay for HBO to watch Game of Thrones
    Minor inconvenience of passing out to my friends 4 kat alternatives that are just as good.

Plus the next host will know to stay away from Facebook + iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Copied material worth nothing, those are just bits. The license to use those bits, however, is lost on copying, that's why you cannot use both the original and a backup or replacement copy at the same time. You still have only 1 license.
    ...I feel like you're countering your own argument here. You could use both at the same time legally. I could legally play the song "Gay Bar" on a trillion different open media platform tabs as long as I had the processing power, RAM, and as long as I payed for it one time, but I can't legally give one copy to anyone in my family if I die. The laws are completely ridiculous, but not as ridiculous as how you're describing how you think piracy works =/
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

15+ Year Old Account
    Guess they don't have any terrorists to arrest

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

I haven't pirated anything ever since steam/netflix and VPN.

I guess Gabe (valve) was right when he said piracy was a matter of distribution.

Deleted
    WHat freedom and liberties would those be? The Freedom to consume media without paying for it? Sorry but that freedom never existed
    Youre missing the point. The freedom to not to be spied on or searched. You cant really control what people do or share on the internet without violating those freedoms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    likewise with TV, its all good having sky, although your programs aren't always aired when you want to watch it, i can either bend my time scheduled around getting in front of the TV at the right time or just stream the thing online. the easier option is always going to be the only option.
    You know there are these new modern devices called DVRs which let you record TV shows and then watch them whenever you want to

Deleted
    Keep spending money on this, money they'll never get back, and something they'll never beat.

Good priorities FBI, why don't you focus on terrorism, you seem to struggle a lot with that.

You know there are these new modern devices called DVRs which let you record TV shows and then watch them whenever you want to
    And theres this thing called the internet that lets me watch anything I want.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    But not as much profit as they COULD have been raking in
    No, firstly it's more as myself and Tabrotar showed if you read up. Secondly there is no COULD because it's a fictitious sale, privacy has long been proven to make money for the industries, the only reason it's become an issue as of late is because idiots in power who make the same mistake assumptions as you believe it to be an issue when it isn't and waste millions trying to fight against something that makes them money.

Not true at all.
    It's a proven fact mate, I even cited an example from personal experience and the are hundreds of millions just like me.

Back then they had to buy tapes and take the time to copy each one.
    Tapes were mostly free (from parents, 10p used from charity shop, etc), and could be copied unattended at extra speed.

Not only that, but when you copied a tape there was a dramatic loss of quality in the recording
    Nope, it wasn't CD quality to begin with.

Now they can take an MP3 file and have perfect copies
    You could do that with CDR/Minidisc.

Its a much bigger problem than it was back then.
    Not really.

And how does a bunch of people downloading their music for free make them money?
    Again, read the thread...

Gonna try the old excuse that if they like it they might buy it?
    That's a fact not an excuse, but not just it, normally when people do like it they end up spending a lot either on music, merch, videos, concerts or all and more.

Torrents died to me when they started to sue random people because their IP showed up in a torrent's cache. I don't get the whole deal about torrents these days, just use streaming sites when you want to do illegal shit, though I have to admit that I've been out of the loop since I started to earn my own money as an adult.

and this is where the grey area starts to show itself, that would be copywrite infringement, even though somewhere in my attic is most likely all those 90s action movies on VHS recorded from the telly, the whole thing is just crazy, its like a deliberate Luddite stance.

now i'm not calling you a Luddite, i'm just saying, although it is funny that you started off very harshly against piracy, and now your basically advocating it so long as i use some antiquated method.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2016-07-21 at 07:36 PM.

Meanwhile we have Hillary in their backyard running for president

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sztyrymytyry View Post
    That's kinda sketchy. Does this reasoning handles on its own in the court?
    Yes the reasoning usually holds up in court. That's why the couple of people in jail for file sharing are usually hit with multi-million dollar fines as well.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

and this is where the grey area starts to show itself, that would be copywrite infringement, even though somewhere in my attic is most likely all those 90s action movies on VHS recorded from the telly, the whole thing is just crazy, its like a deliberate Luddite stance.

now i'm not calling you a Luddite, i'm just saying, although it is funny that you started off very harshly against piracy, and now your basically advocating it so long as i use some antiquated method.
    It's not really a luddite stance. As far as DVR's go, you need some sort of cable / sat subscription to use them, so that is where the 'paying for services rendered' aspect comes into play. Advertisers will argue that they still have pretty abysmal reach rates due to the ability to fast forward, but things like that are largely out of their control.... no one is going to stop someone from getting up to take a piss during the commercial on the superbowl

10+ Year Old Account
    Another Kickass mirror is up. It just won't die.

http://kickasstorrents.website/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Another Kickass mirror is up. It just won't die.
    ]
    What did you expect only 1 person was runing the website?
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account

DVRs are not antiquated, nor is using one piracy. The cable and satellite providers give you one to use when you subscribe to their service. A DVR is only a piracy device if you exploit the analog hole to copy programs off of it to other media

Thats the entitlement mentality of the millenials again. Youre willing to pay a buck to watch a movie so have some patience and pay a buck when its available on Redbox or subscribe to Netflix. The problem is that not only do you feel entitled to the product, but you feel entitled to it immediately. Additionally you can buy used games pretty cheaply without ripping off retailers

- - - Updated - - -

If they couldnt buy it, then tough shit. Youre not entitled to consume something just because it exists. Get a damn job and dont be a scumbag criminal. If they wouldnt buy it then it must be shit so why are they consuming it
    Theoretical damages in all these cases are out of wack. There is no chain to prove that someone who downloaded something would have been a buyer. To allow the stat damages to get so out of hand is foolish. None the less, they rarely actually get those damages, and the resources wasted prosecuting these people is not worthwhile. Hence why there has been an abject decline in prosecuting downloaders and sharers and instead going after the sites themselves and their owners. Why? Because their owners profit from the sites through ads and traffic and shutting down a main source is more important than catching a user.

You'll rarely find someone prosecuted for downloading in the modern era. Studios are learning that this is basically free advertising. GoT as the example you used makes more money on a pay to watch premium channel based on downloading than ever before. Some folks went and bought the channel, HBO wised up and offered the channel outside the cable monopoly, and it brings people to purchase books, shirts merch of any kind based on fandom. Studios have learned that the downloaders are more often people who wouldn't pay for the content and thus avoid it all together, rather them download like the band and go to a show, or possibly purchase the next album, but more likely subscribe to a stream service (itunes song purchasing is going to die soon as monthly stream is the better bang). They are also learning charging a college kid 500k and seeing none of that money, + legal fees isn't really worth their time and giving them tons of bad press. Doesn't matter what someone does a corporation suing an individual for that amount is going to be seen in a negative light.

Also, your entitlement generation shtick is tired and wrong. Every generation of any kind would take things for free if they knew how and not feel bad about it, especially if it is some mega corp. You think sneaking into a movie theater was created recently? Recording tv shows on VHS? Recording songs from the Radio? Copying your friends records to tapes? Recording live shows and selling them? Hopping on the back of buses for free rides? Jumping the turnstile? This isn't some millenial BS, it is the human condition so take your entitlement generation nonsense and go on. The biggest entitlement generation is baby boomers and Gen Xers who put themselves before the entire world and we are all reaping the benefits of that social fuck up.
    Last edited by Zoldor; 2016-07-22 at 12:23 AM.