Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    You dont have to decide anything in this case, you need a setup that will move as much air through the case as possible.
    Well, he does kinda have to decide. Add 2x140mm fans to the front and call it a day, or add those and replace the 2x120mm exhaust fans with 2x140mm fans as well. The best would obviously be to remove the 2x120mm fans he currently has and add 4x140mm fans all around, with the 2 in front being intake and the 2 at the top and rear still being exhaust but being set to run slightly slower than the front 2. That's also twice the cost for not much gain though, but is still a decision that must be made. If it were me, I'd just add the 2x140mm in the front and call it a day though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Well, he does kinda have to decide. Add 2x140mm fans to the front and call it a day, or add those and replace the 2x120mm exhaust fans with 2x140mm fans as well. The best would obviously be to remove the 2x120mm fans he currently has and add 4x140mm fans all around, with the 2 in front being intake and the 2 at the top and rear still being exhaust but being set to run slightly slower than the front 2. That's also twice the cost for not much gain though, but is still a decision that must be made. If it were me, I'd just add the 2x140mm in the front and call it a day though.
    Not really an option. Having 2 powerful 140mm fans in the front would create so much positive pressure that any kind of heat will never be able to leave.

Not really an option. Having 2 powerful 140mm fans in the front would create so much positive pressure that any kind of heat will never be able to leave.
    my understanding is that with positive pressure, it's constantly bringing in cool air so the hot air is constantly being pushed out any other available space. Since there is space around where his current 120s are, and those are near the top of the case, most of the air would be being pushed out there, and since hot air rises, it would be mostly hot air being pushed out in those areas.

On the other end, with negative pressure, it's kinda the same concept in reverse. Hot air is constantly being pushed out of the case, so cool air is constantly being pulled in through every other available open space. In this case, since he has space around the 2 120s at the top, the cool air would be being pulled in there, then shot right back out, which may be part of the problem he is experiencing now. Little cool air is being brought in to the case from the front, the air that is being pulled in due to negative pressure may be being pulled in from other places, not necessarily the front. Adding 2 140s to the front/bottom would ensure that plenty of cool air is going in to the system. He would get a stream across the bottom, that would be getting pushed beneath the GPU, where he GPU cooler is likely blowing hot air that is currently being pulled back up around the GPU and across the CPU. With 2x140s in the front, the air as it is exhausted off the GPU will be constantly replaced by the cool air being blown in from the front, making the heatsink/fan on the GPU much more efficient.

- - - Updated - - -

Another consideration on that case is how the PSU is mounted. Is that fan facing up or down? If up, it is throwing hot air directly on to the GPU. As long as the Case is not sitting on carpet, should make sure the PSU Fan is facing down, so it creates it's own little separate airflow, pulling air in from the back and pushing it out the bottom.

my understanding is that with positive pressure, it's constantly bringing in cool air so the hot air is constantly being pushed out any other available space. Since there is space around where his current 120s are, and those are near the top of the case, most of the air would be being pushed out there, and since hot air rises, it would be mostly hot air being pushed out in those areas.

On the other end, with negative pressure, it's kinda the same concept in reverse. Hot air is constantly being pushed out of the case, so cool air is constantly being pulled in through every other available open space. In this case, since he has space around the 2 120s at the top, the cool air would be being pulled in there, then shot right back out, which may be part of the problem he is experiencing now. Little cool air is being brought in to the case from the front, the air that is being pulled in due to negative pressure may be being pulled in from other places, not necessarily the front. Adding 2 140s to the front/bottom would ensure that plenty of cool air is going in to the system. He would get a stream across the bottom, that would be getting pushed beneath the GPU, where he GPU cooler is likely blowing hot air that is currently being pulled back up around the GPU and across the CPU. With 2x140s in the front, the air as it is exhausted off the GPU will be constantly replaced by the cool air being blown in from the front, making the heatsink/fan on the GPU much more efficient.

- - - Updated - - -

Another consideration on that case is how the PSU is mounted. Is that fan facing up or down? If up, it is throwing hot air directly on to the GPU. As long as the Case is not sitting on carpet, should make sure the PSU Fan is facing down, so it creates it's own little separate airflow, pulling air in from the back and pushing it out the bottom.
    This is what happens naturally, when the system is slowly heating up the air that's being sucked/pumped in. This also works best when the heat is generated mostly around your processor socket - it's close to the top and can naturally leave or get sucked out by the rear fan. When you have a hot GPU and a hot CPU the air the is being sucked in at the front is already hot from cooling the GPU and possibly the PSU. Where is only one solution to this - pump more air through the system.

This is what happens naturally, when the system is slowly heating up the air that's being sucked/pumped in. This also works best when the heat is generated mostly around your processor socket - it's close to the top and can naturally leave or get sucked out by the rear fan. When you have a hot GPU and a hot CPU the air the is being sucked in at the front is already hot from cooling the GPU and possibly the PSU. Where is only one solution to this - pump more air through the system.
    Which is exactly why adding 2x140mm fans to the front is a good option. The decide whether or not to replace the 2x120mm fans with 140mm fans also. I think 2x140mm in the front will be plenty with the 2x120mm already in place, as it will be controlling where the cool air comes in from and also helping to reduce dust build-up. Though replacing the 2x120mm fans he already has would be ideal, it doubles the cost for not much gain.

Which is exactly why adding 2x140mm fans to the front is a good option. The decide whether or not to replace the 2x120mm fans with 140mm fans also. I think 2x140mm in the front will be plenty with the 2x120mm already in place, as it will be controlling where the cool air comes in from and also helping to reduce dust build-up. Though replacing the 2x120mm fans he already has would be ideal, it doubles the cost for not much gain.
    He can get 140mm top exhaust and I dont see why he shouldnt.

He can get 140mm top exhaust and I dont see why he shouldnt.
    because that wont really help get cool air to the GPU and that is where he is having issues. Besides, the case only has room for one fan on the top and there is already a 120mm there included.

First and foremost he needs to focus on bringing the system much closer to balanced pressure and getting cool air blowing across the GPU. I guess if he replace the top 120 with a 140 and moved the 120 to the front that would help somewhat, but he'd still have massive negative pressure and therefore dust build-up. Getting 2 fans in the front should be top priority, even if they are just 120mm, then he'd have pretty close to balanced pressure.

because that wont really help get cool air to the GPU and that is where he is having issues. Besides, the case only has room for one fan on the top and there is already a 120mm there included.

First and foremost he needs to focus on bringing the system much closer to balanced pressure and getting cool air blowing across the GPU. I guess if he replace the top 120 with a 140 and moved the 120 to the front that would help somewhat, but he'd still have massive negative pressure and therefore dust build-up. Getting 2 fans in the front should be top priority, even if they are just 120mm, then he'd have pretty close to balanced pressure.
    Two performance intake fans wont help balanced pressure when you have stock 120mm fans on exhaust.

15+ Year Old Account
    Your CPU stays at 50 degrees under full load? That's some wizardry shit unless you've got a gnarly custom water loop.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Deleted
    Thanks for all the interesting replies.
    The psu is indeed facing down so thats ok.
    According to the case's specs theres only room for two extra fans on the front. By default it has one top and one on the rear, both 120.

And by full load i meant the gpu load. During wow, for some reason, the cpu doesnt go above 60℅ on all cores, thus staying pretty cool.

I did notice the temps staying lower today cause it was less warm here. What i do want to add is that yesterday the heat seemed to build up progressively rather than jumping to an inatant 75 degrees, sometimes even 78.
    Maybe that means something, i dont know, im quite new to this.

Still have to decide what fans im gonna buy for the front, or switch around those i already have. Im not looking to spend too much on this though. Ill try to post a pic of how i build it tomorrow when theres more light.

Two performance intake fans wont help balanced pressure when you have stock 120mm fans on exhaust.
    On that particular case, yeah, it will, because of the way the intake has to go through those small vents on the side, even two performance 140 fans will struggle to pull air in through those vents and not move as much air as in a better case. It's still going to create some positive pressure, which is good, but me much much closer to balanced than what he has now which is more than likely, due to the resistance of the side vents for the front intake, just pulling the hot air it just blew out right back in. The way it is set up now, there is likely very little to no airflow down by the GPU, so he needs front intake fans to get some airflow down there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sheetka View Post
    I made a new pc a few weeks ago and was monitoring my temps today because it was so hot outside, and found out the temps of my gpu ramp up to 75 degrees under 100% load. It starts around 65 and slowly ramps up to 75 within minutes.

I'm not sure if this is ok but but I remember it staying around 65 before, so I was wondering if someone could give me some tips on keeping it a bit lower?

i5-6600
    MSI Gtx 1070
    neither are oc'ed

Using a stock cooler as well, would it help the gpu if I bought a different cooler?

I'm sorry if this has been answered before and I have googled if 75 was too high but I get different answers everywhere.
    Not taking into account about improving cooling, you can improve temps by reducing the load on GPU.

What kind of games are you playing? If you are worried about your GPU temps, you can reduce the graphic settings on games to lower the load on GPU.

If you play League of Legends, for example, you really want to cap your frame rate (I keep mine at 80FPS with 60Hz monitor).

With new WoW settings, my GPU can run game smoothly @ 10 (new max setting) but my temps go above 70C, so I play on 7 with some custom lower settings on rendering and such, runs 60C's and I can't really tell a difference what I lose from graphics settings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sheetka View Post
    Thanks for all the interesting replies.
    The psu is indeed facing down so thats ok.
    According to the case's specs theres only room for two extra fans on the front. By default it has one top and one on the rear, both 120.

And by full load i meant the gpu load. During wow, for some reason, the cpu doesnt go above 60℅ on all cores, thus staying pretty cool.

I did notice the temps staying lower today cause it was less warm here. What i do want to add is that yesterday the heat seemed to build up progressively rather than jumping to an inatant 75 degrees, sometimes even 78.
    Maybe that means something, i dont know, im quite new to this.

Still have to decide what fans im gonna buy for the front, or switch around those i already have. Im not looking to spend too much on this though. Ill try to post a pic of how i build it tomorrow when theres more light.
    As a side note, the position of your case is important too, if you keep it on the floor and sun is shining directly on the case, it will affect your temps.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Deleted
    My 1080 MSI X is sitting at 75ish under full load in games such as Overwatch. Your temps are fine bro

Basic setup would be two intake front 140mm fans, top 140mm exhaust, rear 120mm exhaust. Or (if your case supports it) two front 140mm intake, side 140mm intake, two top 140mm exhaust, rear 120mm exhaust. Side intake really helps GPU airflow. Just make sure all your fans are similar in performance.
    side intake doesn't help.

4 Fans are overkill too.

Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    side intake doesn't help.

4 Fans are overkill too.
    If available, side intake certainly does help. It move fresh cold air practically directly on to the GPU. How can that not be helpful?

If available, side intake certainly does help. It move fresh cold air practically directly on to the GPU. How can that not be helpful?
    because the air coming from the front is just as cold.

because the air coming from the front is just as cold.
    Most of the air that it coming through the front is going towards the socket, where the exhausts are.

Most of the air that it coming through the front is going towards the socket, where the exhausts are.
    not really

not really
    Just open a side panel and tell me it doesnt make a difference.

Just open a side panel and tell me it doesnt make a difference.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OmkmluAYAQ

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDCMMf-_ASE

As long as you have one fan in the front and one in the back the difference additional fans do becomes trivial.