Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

The StarCraft Universe (Starcraft MMO) - Open beta is out!

This looks really awesome for a fan-made project. Downloading it now - gonna see for myself if it's really that cool.

I thought these guys got shut down by blizz?
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

they were renamed, not shut down.

that actually looks better than most recent mmos

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    I thought these guys got shut down by blizz?
    I don't see why they would. It's being made IN StarCraft 2, you have to have a battle.net account to play the thing. Why would Blizzard bother shutting them down? It'll sell them more games.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Didn't they have a Kickstarter?

EDIT: They did, and now they also have an IndieGoGo. That seems kinda fishy.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...craft-universe

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s...cial-release#/
    Last edited by The Stormbringer; 2016-07-29 at 01:11 AM.

How is...how hasn't Blizzard shut them down yet?

I mean I'd love to try out a Starcraft MMO, but how are they still operating?

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    How is...how hasn't Blizzard shut them down yet?

I mean I'd love to try out a Starcraft MMO, but how are they still operating?
    It's through the SC2 arcade.. So since you have to have SC2 maybe they don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    It's through the SC2 arcade.. So since you have to have SC2 maybe they don't mind.
    Oh shit it is LOL.

I didn't even notice.

It's just a custom map in SC2. Figured it out when I clicked their link which just launches battle.net.

Considering Blizzard hasn't implemented cloud bank storage in SC2 yet (aka; never), I fail to see the purpose of an "MMO" built in this system. You can just hack and duplicate character files to get whatever you want.

Not an MMO. They never said it was, either. It shares the same limitations as any other SC2 arcade game, one of which is ~14 players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    Didn't they have a Kickstarter?

EDIT: They did, and now they also have an IndieGoGo. That seems kinda fishy.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...craft-universe

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s...cial-release#/
    They release the game no matter of the current indiegogo campaign is a success or not. This is basically just for post game bug fixes, balancing and more content.

Well, i have the SC2 starter edition, i suppose downloading this won't be an issue...looks decent to play it at least.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Less than $1,000,000 to make a new MMO based off an exisiting license that they've not bought or been given the right to use?

What a fucking joke. I hate people like this, I really do.

Edit: They're claiming you can play it through Battle.net! How is this even allowed to remain on Kickstarter & IndieGoGo? It's literally the most obvious scam I've ever seen!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Less than $1,000,000 to make a new MMO based off an exisiting license that they've not bought or been given the right to use?

What a fucking joke. I hate people like this, I really do.

Edit: They're claiming you can play it through Battle.net! How is this even allowed to remain on Kickstarter & IndieGoGo? It's literally the most obvious scam I've ever seen!
    But it's not an MMO. It's only an MORPG, because it's just a "simple" Starcraft 2 map. When this was announced back in the day, Blizzard also thought they would use their asset and what not. But yeah, it's only a Starcraft 2 map, so they were cool with it. They even had a Arcade spotlight a few years ago and in there the creator even talks about the kickstarter. So no problems with this from Blizzard's point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    But it's not an MMO. It's only an MORPG, because it's just a "simple" Starcraft 2 map. When this was announced back in the day, Blizzard also thought they would use their asset and what not. But yeah, it's only a Starcraft 2 map, so they were cool with it. They even had a Arcade spotlight a few years ago and in there the creator even talks about the kickstarter. So no problems with this from Blizzard's point of view.
    Playing it as a stand alone game isn't going to be possible, but using the in-game Arcade System is fine. However, a quick scan of the page(s) don't make that very clear. They make it almost seem like a stand alone game being made using Starcraft 2 assets, and then available via Battle.net.

It's a grey area when you're doing it like this, and I don't like it.

Playing it as a stand alone game isn't going to be possible, but using the in-game Arcade System is fine. However, a quick scan of the page(s) don't make that very clear. They make it almost seem like a stand alone game being made using Starcraft 2 assets, and then available via Battle.net.

yeah, wording is completely off. Likely to attract more people. Anyway, on the practical level, it's a SC2 big mod that requires SC2 starter edition and is played via the arcade. So nothing fancy or strange.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

7+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't say there's *nothing* strange about it. The part where they're collecting money off of Blizzard's IP could probably get it shut down, even though I think (or at least hope) their hearts are in the right place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheevah View Post
    I wouldn't say there's *nothing* strange about it. The part where they're collecting money off of Blizzard's IP could probably get it shut down, even though I think (or at least hope) their hearts are in the right place.
    I doubt that the money will shut them down. Blizzard made a Arcade Spitlight (linked above in my post) during (or after) the kickstarter and didn't intervene back then.

Short, you didn't read any of the posts above yours. Shouted "omg scam!" without thinking and are now quickly trying to correct yourself. Just admit you were wrong and give up.