Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Than shouldn't this thread be about congress having a recess until September? You are complaining over a word fix, instead of congress being gone for nearly two months?

- - - Updated - - -

Who banned it? Where? WTF are you talking about?
    We gotta make sure blackenstein is put in his place otherwise he will feel comfortable naming himself king and pledge himself to ISIS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ForLoveOfMe View Post
    About time. It's so racist to say once race! Except if you are a white male
    Negro and Oriental are not races. They're catch-all terms, of a racist and ignorant era. The white equivelant would be Honky.

Should we all call you a Honky now?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    The word "Indian" has been banned? But what about people from India?
    As it's the US it likely doesn't refer to people from India.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    The word "Indian" has been banned? But what about people from India?
    It was a word fix, they replaced Indian in 2 Acts with Native American.

I'll quote the fix since there seems to be some confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Congress View Post
    Public Law 114-157
    114th Congress

An Act

To amend the Department of Energy Organization Act and the Local Public
    Works Capital Development and Investment Act of 1976 to modernize terms
    relating to minorities. <<NOTE: May 20, 2016 - [H.R. 4238]>>

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the
    United States of America in Congress assembled,
    SECTION 1. MODERNIZATION OF TERMS RELATING TO MINORITIES.

(a) Office of Minority Economic Impact.--Section 211(f)(1) of the
    Department of Energy Organization Act (42 U.S.C. 7141(f)(1)) is amended
    by striking ``a Negro, Puerto Rican, American Indian, Eskimo, Oriental,
    or Aleut or is a Spanish speaking individual of Spanish descent'' and
    inserting ``Asian American, Native Hawaiian, a Pacific Islander, African
    American, Hispanic, Puerto Rican, Native American, or an Alaska
    Native''.
    (b) Minority Business Enterprises.--Section 106(f)(2) of the Local
    Public Works Capital Development and Investment Act of 1976 (42 U.S.C.
    6705(f)(2)) is amended by striking ``Negroes, Spanish-speaking,
    Orientals, Indians, Eskimos, and Aleuts'' and inserting ``Asian
    American, Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islanders, African American,
    Hispanic, Native American, or Alaska Natives''.

Approved May 20, 2016.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Here we go again. In a move sure to bring more voters to Donald Trump who are sick and tired of political correctness being shoved down our throats, President Obama signs a law requiring all references to Oriental and Negro to be removed from all government documentation, bowing to political correctness once again. Yes, the terms could be considered outdated, but instead of spending 10s of thousands of man hours scouring federal documents and probably billions of dollars paying people to find and correct the terms, couldnt we just wait until new documents are created phasing the terms out naturally, just like they did in every day life?

I could understand if they had "Nigger" and "Chink" as check boxes on a form, but Negro (describing the color black) and Oriental (describing a location, the Orient) arent names, they are descriptions which are even still used in many countries. In addition the law also removes Eskimo, Indian, Aleut, and Spanish-Speaking. Just ridiculous!!!

Doesnt Obama have anything better to spend his time on? Like maybe removing ISIS from the planet?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/presi...ry?id=39267499
    Counter-question: Dont you have anything better to be upset about? It's such an irrelevant thing to get this salty about.

One one hand I understand why they remove them. On the other, I think that historical records should remain as they are, so that we don't forget that those were different times.

I applaud the removal of Indian though, cus fuck knows that name is idiotic when it refers to natives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Than shouldn't this thread be about congress having a recess until September? You are complaining over a word fix, instead of congress being gone for nearly two months?

Oh I complain about it every year, as well as the winter breaks too. We pay them a full time salary and they should be working full time. No other Americans get 5 or more months of vacation time and unlimited sick days and are never held accountable if they are late or dont show up. Same goes for the SCOTUS, they could hear so many more cases if they worked for more than 6 months out of the year

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ForLoveOfMe View Post
    About time. It's so racist to say once race! Except if you are a white male
    What ever you say taran.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I complain about it every year, as well as the winter breaks too. We pay them a full time salary and they should be working full time. No other Americans get 5 or more months of vacation time and unlimited sick days and are never held accountable if they are late or dont show up. Same goes for the SCOTUS, they could hear so many more cases if they worked for more than 6 months out of the year
    Don't see it... It's actively happening now... Instead you choose to bitch about a word change...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    Why are we blaming Obama for this? This law would've had to pass both Republican-controlled wings of legislature to even get to his desk. If you're angry about this law, you should vote for Hillary.
    ^Pretty much what I was thinking. This would have had to be passed through republican legislature. If you were to be mad at anyone, it would be them.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

So it will drive people that are fine with racist slurs to a clown? I'm fine with that.

Obama is also not even black. Hes mixed race

- - - Updated - - -

They all love to spend our money unnecessarily
    Of course they spend our money, because people like you seem to want to use them to ban everything you don't like.

- - - Updated - - -

The president is the last and most important signature on a law. HE has the final say if it passes or not unless his veto is overidden in which case he can say he tried
    SO, you are blaming him for something that was passed unanimously? Your selective outrage is pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Calling black people Negros and east-asian people Oriental is akin to calling white people Honky. People hate being called oriental, they hate being called negro.

Do you like being called honky, Orlong? Would you like if all legal references to white people were as honky?
    I always found "honky" to be hilarious, and I'm whiter than a ghost in a blizzard. "Cracker" is also hilarious.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BalwickZaik View Post
    Negro and Oriental are not races. They're catch-all terms, of a racist and ignorant era. The white equivelant would be Honky.

Even though it may be regarded as old fashioned, Oriental is not racist.

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Damn, what's wrong with oriental? O_o

USA is a really awkward place.
    no clue what the big deal is myself being asian but not oriental.

negro is not racist but way too close to nigger which is.

but i support the changes for the sake of we have bigger things to argue about
    Last edited by oxymoronic; 2016-07-29 at 02:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    We do not have freedom of speech
    Despite the usual victim complex, we do still have freedom of speech in the US.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

- - - Updated - - -

As it's the US it likely doesn't refer to people from India.
    White is not a race either, the correct term would be Caucasian. So Negro and Oriental are the same as White.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Of course they spend our money, because people like you seem to want to use them to ban everything you don't like.

- - - Updated - - -

SO, you are blaming him for something that was passed unanimously? Your selective outrage is pathetic.
    Its not even about the words really, he's just using the incident as a springboard/opportunity to complain about Obama.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Even though it may be regarded as old fashioned, Oriental is not racist.
    Hence ignorant. Oriental was never used in a demeaning or dehumanising way like Negro, but it's still very short sighted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    So, what's the government going to do if a federal judge puts negro on something government related? the government can't do anything, right? Because the judge is protected by the constitution, right?

I genuinely don't know.

I think it's pretty fucked up to ban words, though.
    LOL, that's adorable
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

So updating legal documentation is a waste of funds now?

I can understand Negro. It was (and still is) used in a demeaning and abusive manner, but Oriental? Never known that to be an issue. Anyone else confused by that one, or is that just me being ignorant?

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Its not even about the words really, he's just using the incident as a springboard/opportunity to complain about Obama.
    Which is especially silly considering the president just signs off on laws. You're mad the US law no longer uses the term oriental and negro? Write your letters to congress. I'm sure it's real important to you and you're not just looking for excuses to fearmonger. (you in the general sense, not zealo)
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hence ignorant. Oriental was never used in a demeaning or dehumanising way like Negro, but it's still very short sighted.
    How is it shortsighted or ignorant? It is a directional term, it means they come from the East.

It is like saying terms such as Far East, Middle East, Western World, etc. are shortsighted and ignorant, which is just bollocks.