Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Blizzards newest lore retcon [Heavy Spoilers]

I'm not blacking anything out because I've given a spoiler tag in the title, so if you don't want heavy spoilers don't read on.

Several things came as surprised to me after listening to the voice of Xal'atath, Blade of the Black Empire. From the things said by the blade, and looking on wowpedia, certain things have now been changed around by blizzard in what I can only assume is a retcon.

Before this, we use to assume from what the lore gave us that the old gods were these supremely powerful beings that matched power for power against sargeras and outside of him nobody elves compared to this. Now however we learn that the old gods are infact servents of the void lords, the rulers of the void, creatures that make sargeras look like jimmy olson fighting megatech lexx luthor. Void lords are meant to be so powerful that they are the reason sargeras went nuts and is trying to convert the universe by killing worlds corrupted by the old gods (again servents) meaning there are many many more old gods out there, because said planets are capable of becoming titans, but if the old gods corrupt the planet they will become dark titans and kick sargeras' ass.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Void_lord

(Thats right, those void callers that warlocks can summon are now apparently the most powerful beings in existence in warcraft lore)

Also, just out of nowhere, it turns out sargeras already killed off all members the pantheon, Aman'Thul, Eonar, Norgannon, Golganneth, Khaz'goroth and Aggramar, all dead, apparently published in World_of_Warcraft:_Chronicle_Volume_1 (http://wow.gamepedia.com/World_of_Wa...nicle_Volume_1), just as a side note, nothing we really needed to care about.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Pantheon

I know blizzard can be bad at their lore sometimes, but to me, I'd put having the death of the patheon and the existence of void lords a bit higher up on the list of important lore facts in the games story then wanting to know what emotional state Jainas that month.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2016-07-30 at 08:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Let's face it - they are preparing to increase longevity of franchise. Now we can kill sargeras (in epic raid finder difficulty) without asking "what next". Its just simple. Other than that, life will be as it was.

Deleted
    I hate to burst your bubble, but we knew most of these things since Chronicles was released.

There are also a couple of topics already discussing those things; feel free to dabble in them if you like!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Let's face it - they are preparing to increase longevity of franchise. Now we can kill sargeras (in epic raid finder difficulty) without asking "what next". Its just simple. Other than that, life will be as it was.
    so thats the aim every time then, build up a big baddy every time, but when we get close to possibly beating them, just then say 'oh no theres someone else even more powerful'.
    thats fan faction levels of bad, and while I get that as a franchise they have to keep thinking up stuff like this, it really just says to me they should have stopped making expansions and make a new game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalecgos the Spellweaver View Post
    I hate to burst your bubble, but we knew most of these things since Chronicles was released.

There are also a couple of topics already discussing those things; feel free to dabble in them if you like!
    that was only this year though, so its still fresh news, and will be to a many more who don't buy warcraft chronicles.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what we've seen so far, a good chunk of Legion's lore is far more cosmic and wide-reaching in scale than we've seen before. I am inclined to agree with Arrashi that it is Blizzard laying the seeds for future WoW adventures.

7+ Year Old Account
    we know that for ages.
    let me guess, you are using internet explorer?

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelthos View Post
    From what we've seen so far, a good chunk of Legion's lore is far more cosmic and wide-reaching in scale than we've seen before. I am inclined to agree with Arrashi that it is Blizzard laying the seeds for future WoW adventures.
    What troubles me about this, is that blizzard really seems to want to push the idea that our player characters are so amazing and powerful, that its saying we don't need benevolent titans and demi god dragons, we just need a group of 25 people to down a god like entity for good. I can only think of that being the reason why they offed the pantheon off screen, so when we do fight sargeras and he snuffs it, it won't be by a super powered entity.
    To me that isn't good storytelling, I was hoping to see some actual character from the pantheon, they could have build them up some, and then have sargaras kill them, making them seem like they were worth something in the lore or to the player character.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post
    we know that for ages.
    didn't you copy your avatar from nixxioms video on shadow priests?
    also, 'ages' being 4 months that being when the chronicle was released, why is that considered 'ages' ago?
    Last edited by Trassk; 2016-07-30 at 08:42 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    didn't you copy your avatar from nixxioms video on shadow priests?
    my character exists long before the shadow priest bitch.
    and the avatar is from @Beasty Beauty

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    I'm not blacking anything out because I've given a spoiler tag in the title, so if you don't want heavy spoilers don't read on.

Several things came as surprised to me after listening to the voice of Xal'atath, Blade of the Black Empire. From the things said by the blade, and looking on wowpedia, certain things have now been changed around by blizzard in what I can only assume is a retcon.

Before this, we use to assume from what the lore gave us that the old gods were these supremely powerful beings that matched power for power against sargeras and outside of him nobody elves compared to this. Now however we learn that the old gods are infact servents of the void lords, the rulers of the void, creatures that make sargeras look like jimmy olson fighting megatech lexx luthor. Void lords are meant to be so powerful that they are the reason sargeras went nuts and is trying to convert the universe by killing worlds corrupted by the old gods (again servents) meaning there are many many more old gods out there, because said planets are capable of becoming titans, but if the old gods corrupt the planet they will become dark titans and kick sargeras' ass.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Void_lord

(Thats right, those void callers that warlocks can summon are now apparently the most powerful beings in existence in warcraft lore)

Also, just out of nowhere, it turns out sargeras already killed off all members the pantheon, Aman'Thul, Eonar, Norgannon, Golganneth, Khaz'goroth and Aggramar, all dead, apparently published in World_of_Warcraft:_Chronicle_Volume_1 (http://wow.gamepedia.com/World_of_Wa...nicle_Volume_1), just as a side note, nothing we really needed to care about.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Pantheon

I know blizzard can be bad at their lore sometimes, but to me, I'd put having the death of the patheon and the existence of void lords a bit higher up on the list of important lore facts in the games story then wanting to know what emotional state Jainas that month.
    Alot of this info was in the Chronicle, it's not really anything new. It's basically common knowledge, if you've been keeping up with the Lore and not hidden under a rock!

Deleted
    Yeah, no worries, there is next Big Bad already waiting on the line. Now to think, WoW is already like sunday morning cartoon with weekly world destroying enemy, but next episode comes every 2 years, not every week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    The issue with warcraft lore is that storytelling fits gameplay like fist to nose. And we know that since TBC with lol kaelthas, lol vash, and lol illidan.
    The problem is that blizzard considers raids to be the best "focus" of their storytelling and as such want to resolve all storylines in them. And as we saw time after time "story concluding" raids like SoO, DS and even HFC have not only much more generic theme, but also can't conclude story in interesting manner.
    Deathing turning into fairy dust ?
    Garry covered in purple shit just to be fine 5 seconds later ?
    The "never slaves" guy ending as draenor idol ?
    All were bad. And all concluded their stories in underwhelming manner.
    On the other hand the raids that are independent from the expansion focus are much better in not only telling their own story but also are more varied and interesting (ulduar and ToT are best examples)

Long story short, blizz needs to find their proper formula on how to handle story without falling into trap of "its the same archimonde as back then but closer to nether so stronger".

7+ Year Old Account
    also, 'ages' being 4 months that being when the chronicle was released, why is that considered 'ages' ago?
    4 months can feel like ages.
    but that's another thing, the point is we know that for a couple of months now.
    we even had 3 or 4 damn big threads about this.

Formerly known as Arafal

Who the hell told you that the warlock pet are void lords? Don't mess the names up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by My User Name View Post
    Who the hell told you that the warlock pet are void lords? Don't mess the names up.
    really, you didn't click the link?

The void lords shown in Chronicle look the same as voidcallers in-game.
    If it looks like what void lords look like its a scaled down version of them, a pocket void lord.

Before this, we use to assume
    Highlighting the relevant bit for you. One cannot retcon an assumption. We just assumed incorrectly.

Semantics and pedantry aside, I don't think it's a retcon. Players have always assumed that when we were fighting Old Gods, we were fighting what is essentially their big toe or whatever. It's always been thought that they are much bigger and much more powerful and terrifying than what we face on the surface. Void Lords are basically that. Old Gods are manifestations of the Void Lords because the Void Lords cannot exist in the WoW universe without exploding or something. So instead of fighting the Old Gods' big toe, we've been fighting Void Lords' big toes. Blizz probably just gave them a name to categorize them as being on a whole other level than the servants we fight. And Void Lords WOULD absolutely wreck Sargeras. So the lore hasn't really changed at all, we just got a name for that unknown 'full power' version we've always supposed had to exist outside of Azeroth's dimension.
    Okay, you're Blizzard. You're Kosak or Metzen or whoever is in charge of lore these days. When would you have told players the pantheon is dead? How? It's been foreshadowed ever since MoP at the very least when Wrathion ate Lei Shen's heart and had his titan freak out, so clearly not at that point since they only wanted to tease it a little. The end of the expansion, we were fighting orcs, hardly the time for Titan lore. Then we jumped straight to WoD, where the entire expansion took place in an alternate universe where there was zero room for Titan lore whatsoever. Where would you drop that lore bomb in WoD without it being shoehorned in? Or would you, and follow me with this one, the logic is complicated, bring it up in an expansion devoted to the Legion where we learn more about them and Sargeras and have entire zones and dungeons dealing with the Titan constructs they left behind? You're also churning out this Chronicles book that details the ordering of the Warcraft universe and goes more indepth into the history of Azeroth, the Titan Watchers, and its native races than any other source before it. You could just omit the part where the Pantheon are murdered and the last of their powers are sent out to the Watchers, but in a book that's meant to fill in holes in the story, why make more? The lore nerds will have something to discuss, and the people who only play the game will learn about it when its relevant to the current day story.

tl;dr I'm sure it'll come up whenever we deal with Sargeras if it's not already in Legion somewhere already.

7+ Year Old Account
    also, warlocks summon a voidwalker or a voidlord
    not a fucking Void Lord.
    and the Void Lords arent Voidcallers.

the difference is in the fucking spelling, get it in your heads people

Voidwalker, Voidlord

Voidcaller

Void Lord
    *insert something dark and evil*

- - - Updated - - -

For the voidwalker-like race that Dimensius and Pandemonius are members of, see voidlord. For other uses, see Void lord (disambiguation).
    Not to be confused with void god.
    /tenchars.

Formerly known as Arafal

I did and I don't see anything related.

If it looks like what void lords look like its a scaled down version of them, a pocket void lord.
    So if I have Bugatti Veyron R/C car does it mean it's fastest car in the world? No. They're "pocket version" for a reason, they're not the same, they may look the same, but they're totally different. Just as R/C cars and REAL cars.

we know that for ages.
    I actually lol'd a little in rl.

10+ Year Old Account
    also, warlocks summon a voidwalker or a voidlord
    not a fucking Void Lord.
    and the Void Lords arent Voidcallers.
    Gee, one could almost mix to two up.

Guess even when it says the void lords look like the voidcallers its a completely different creature.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCookieGod View Post
    Highlighting the relevant bit for you. One cannot retcon an assumption. We just assumed incorrectly.
    exactly, a lot of stuffs players assume is off too, i think the problem is most don't actually pay attention to the lore, or did, but then stopped, things changed, but they never updated their views.

it's like they don't get that wow is a dynamic world where things change, it's not like the former fantasies, where once they've set things down or pegged this group here, that's you for the whole existence. but then none of htem have had to continuously advance and update their game like on a regular basis, so most people don't really catch up with the changes. and assume wherever they met the world in when they paid attention was where it was at and still is.

And as they never really strive to find out more, or just ask questions, even if it's dumb questions

It makes sense that the Voidcallers look similar to them, when a Naaru dies and becomes a Void God, the Voidcallers spawn. They could be just an "avatar" of the Void Lords that are able to seep into the physical plane by the light dying.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.