Poll: Should we wipe mosquitoes off the face of the Earth?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    Well, I do think that about our species. As far as doing something about it: vsec at age 20. There will be no one to replace me when I die.
    Yep people always have a solid idea of how they're going to live their future lives at the age of 20...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Yep people always have a solid idea of how they're going to live their future lives at the age of 20...
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. That I shouldn't have done that?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. That I shouldn't have done that?
    Sounds like something easily regrettable down the line.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lel.
    You're #3 to post that link hah
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Am I reading too much into this, or are you a climate change denier?
    No, I'm not. Climate change is very much worth addressing (and we're making remarkable progress on renewable energy sources) but it's not "destroying the planet".
    Last edited by Osmeric; 2016-08-01 at 12:36 AM.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Also, http://www.mosquitoreviews.com/mosqu...ecosystem.html

It's not as easy as pressing a button. Thankfully, smarter people than MMO-C posters, are the one making decisions and checking the facts before taking action.
    Where you at we gotta square up.

What is it with this shitty website today being shittier than usual...?

Bah! Still hates them. But I hates the other blood sucking critters even more.

Hmm...Of the 3,000 varieties on the planet, only 200 or so bite us; only Aedes aegypti, and perhaps the more common Culex quinquefasciatus, are thought to carry Zika.

For Lines, there is a more pressing case for the eradication of aegypti, as a carrier of dengue fever, than any other species of mosquito. “There is no visible end to this except a war against aegypti,” he says. “Otherwise this is going to go on for a thousand years.” He points out that because aegypti are thoroughly adapted to a man-made environment, unlike the anopheles variety that carry malaria, they will only become more prevalent as the human population and its accompanying urban sprawl grow.

In the end, if the technical and ecological objections can be overcome, it seems unlikely that philosophical arguments for the sanctity of aedes aegypti will hold sway. The mosquito has so ravaged us, for so long, that for most people it has exhausted all rights of appeal. Pretty, whose work straddles the arts and sciences, has also written about extinction. In his book, The Edge of Extinction, he considers how different cultures deal with the loss of species and habitats that surround them. It is fair to say that he is an advocate of conservation. But even he has his limit. “If one has a hierarchy of thoughts,” he says, “the first would be that it would be desirable if we humans had a lighter impact and that any loss is one that should be deeply worrying. And in most cases you can stop at that point. But here you can ask the second question: if there was a loss of a whole species, would there be a human benefit? And in this case, the human benefit is so great that I think you have to say: ‘OK, I can hold these two thoughts at once.’”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    Lel.
    You're #3 to post that link hah
    :>

/10chars
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    But skeeters aren't the primary food source for anything...at least nothing that won't be missed.

Just about anything that eats them things can survive by eating other..things.

- - - Updated - - -

Your home-school doesn't count.
    I actually have a masters, so yeah probably a bit more than your kindergarden education level.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    I actually have a masters, so yeah probably a bit more than your kindergarden education level.
    Correspondence courses don't typically rate.

Infracted - trolling
    Last edited by Crissi; 2016-08-01 at 12:47 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    No, I'm not. Climate change is worth addressing (and we're making remarkable progress on renewable energy sources) but it's not "destroying the planet".
    Gotcha. I get what you're saying: it's not "destroying the planet" just changing it in a way that we dont like.

Cant destroy a planet w/o a Deathstar

10+ Year Old Account
    No, mosquitoes are food for a lot of birds etc. removing them completely would really screw things up.

I don't think we could do it without causing harm to a whole host of other living things as well (if we even could do it all). Also, doing things like that tends to have unforeseen consequences, so I doubt it would work out as planned....

Deleted
    I say get rid of moths, fucking horrible creatures

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Correspondence courses don't typically rate.
    You can try to bait me all you want, you'll still be stupid in the end.

Infracted - minor flaming

Yes. I was reading a article a while back about this subject actually. From what I read it seems that wiping out mosquito would have a minimal impact on the environment- if that is true, let's do it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Sounds like something easily regrettable down the line.
    Understood. it's been 20 years since I did, and no regrets so far. I can't stand kids and I avoid them as much as possible in my day-to-day routine. It's certainly not a decision to make lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    No, mosquitoes are food for a lot of birds etc. removing them completely would really screw things up.
    Every night bats around the world eat millions of mosquitoes (thank you bats!). I imagine many bats would struggle for food if there were no more tasty mosquitoes to eat......

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    And fish, a lot of people don't realize 60% of the fish in the world feed of insect larva or eggs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    Every night bats around the world eat millions of mosquitoes (thank you bats!). I imagine many bats would struggle for food if there were no more tasty mosquitoes to eat......
    Yes they'd have to resort to fruit instead, which then would ruin the fruit crops.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    Yes they'd have to resort to fruit instead, which then would ruin the fruit crops.
    Exterminate them as well then, keep going until balance is reached.