Thread: No Man's Sky

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    So you're grasping at straws and saying review copies are demo discs now? Glad we have outed the levels of desperation you have gone to to try and defend some conspiracy theory.
    I am not grasping at straws because I never said review copies are demo discs. All I ever said is it is entirely possible that a person could sell an incomplete version or an early version of the game. Remember that the unboxing for the $1200 copy still had the original launch date of June 21st on the insert. So the seller added an old insert or promotional material to the copy the sold.

I am also not defending a conspiracy theory. If you weren't so desperate to always hate and judge others you would be able to see what is written instead of creating arguments for no reason. I haven't not defend any of the theories except to say that it is possible to have a copy that is not a day 1 copy of the game. We know that some of the other copies haven't encountered some of the bugs that the first guy encountered. Or they really weren't bugs but simply misunderstanding of the way mechanics work.

I also never said that they ebay link I provided was a demo and not the full retail version of the game. If you remember and actually go look at your previous post you said that promotional copies are all digital know a days and this isn't 1999. You were wrong. Physical copies are still used.

https://twitter.com/Open_Critic/stat...94661907513345

Hello games is sending out review copies. Again you are wrong.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    They are objectively masterpieces regardless of your subjective opinion
    Look we get it you love both games but no they are not objectively masterpieces.

I love all the fables personally but each one was average games and so was B&W.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    I am not grasping at straws because I never said review copies are demo discs. All I ever said is it is entirely possible that a person could sell an incomplete version or an early version of the game.
    And how is bold #1 related to bold #2?

In what world is a review copy an incomplete version or early version of a game?

You proved yourself to be grasping at straws, didn't even have to do it for you.

15+ Year Old Account
    And how is bold #1 related to bold #2?
    They are not. I am not saying they are. You are the only one that keeps on claiming I am saying they are the same. Once again I said that Daymeeum (or whatever his name is) could have bought an incomplete version of the game. I never said that equals a review copy. So the two are not related but you keep trying to say they are because you have it fixed in your head that I am typing something when I never have.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

I've never seen this much salt throwing at each other from GC's times.

I mean, it's going to be an open exploration space game. People who expect it like that will get what they want, people who get hyped about buzzwords without even thinking at gameplay will get mad, as usual.

Only one good thing so far for me: wait for release and let pass some time if you're not entirely convinced, to see what it's really about. Hyped people have likely already preordered, people who think is crap will just spend time criticizing it without even trying it and just looking at some trailers (which is this case are pretty good at concealing stuff imho).
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it funny how well the fanboyism is countered by the anti-fanboyism.

Circlejerks everywhere! Apparently barren planets is a major feature and 10 or so demo/review copies have gone out to these streamers (the bugs were actually seen in multiple streams, fish and I think the backwards upgrade thing).

Blech, I'm not pre-ordering just because I'm personally against pre-order bonuses -- not pre-orders themselves mind you -- but really saying people should cancel their pre-order because all planets have life, or because you think something is scripted because none of the streams, ironically, can find a planet teeming with life is quite silly. What you may be invested in is not what everyone is. On the other hand, there are so many misconceptions about the game, some people may be a bit disappointed. Though I'd take a guess that most people want the game because of colorful "SPAAAAAAACE" and not much more. like myself

I'm not even sure why the demo/review copy thing is actually a thing... Other than the subreddit. Yes games have bugs and can be unbalanced (especially as a single player game). There is such thing as a day one patch though, and a game like NMS should have a relatively small one disc space wise. It doesn't really matter enough to deserve a pseudo-conspiracy theory or speculation of demo/review copies vs a retail version.

At least the subreddit has gone back to normal, everyday shitposting as some sort of immune system against the previous couple days; I can get a chuckle out of it.

I may seem a little.. Direct, but I've seen both arguments too much for one week. /rant

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Look we get it you love both games but no they are not objectively masterpieces.

I love all the fables personally but each one was average games and so was B&W.
    Isn't Black & White considered to be one of the best god games, if not the best? Of course that's a fairly small genre that Molyneux basically created
    Last edited by Tryuk; 2016-08-04 at 07:36 AM.
    Shhhhh, she's doing magical trig bullshit trig substitutions

10+ Year Old Account
    Once a game goes on print it's as feature complete you can possibly hope for on launch, the best your going to get is just a bunch of bug and balance fixes on launch.

Convincing yourself what has leaked isn't the full game is just you not liking what you are hearing, and making excuses.

I just don't understand the hype, it's one of the biggest hype trains I've ever seen but there is nothing they've show to warrant it.

The game doesn't look awful, but it just looks shallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    I just don't understand the hype, it's one of the biggest hype trains I've ever seen but there is nothing they've show to warrant it.

The game doesn't look awful, but it just looks shallow.
    I think the only possible explaination for this massive hype lays in the psychology of a player who has veery high escapism needs. Those people spend alot of their time on reddit and re-hype themselves with each post, video, photo. They long for going back to the old days of playing one game for 8 to 16 hours a day for many months just to decrease the connection with real life to essential minimum. Such is the way of hyped players.
    I will never understand why one could so heavily devote his/her life to a game and heavily damage or even destroy his/her life by doing so. But that's a dark side of the gaming.

Like anything else, if whatever activity you engage in damages your friendships, familial relationships, your job or other responsibilities, or even your health, it's a problem.
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2016-08-04 at 02:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Meanwhile I'm just sitting here looking forward to a mix of Elite Dangerous and Minecraft (or Subnautica?). Personally I've waited for a game like this for many years. But the technology hasn't been there.

A lot of people that enjoys games that tries to capture the sheer vastness of space are of course very hyped for NMS. Hell the only game I've ever played that truly captured a sense of scale well for me was EVE Online and that game is as fun as watching grass grow if you're not a very active player in a large corp.

Not everyone thinks procedurally generated stuff is exciting, some do. For some the very idea of a game world so large you may never see another player is EPIC, even though perhaps a majority of gamers would say "... and what the hell is fun with that?"

Or the very idea of landing on a world and look for ionized uranium or whatever simply to upgrade your FTL jump range by 10%.

No Man's Sky is a very niche game. And there certainly has been a lot of misinformation, or as the marvelous language of Forumic translates it: broken promises
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2016-08-04 at 01:20 PM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Convincing yourself what has leaked isn't the full game is just you not liking what you are hearing, and making excuses.
    No one here is convincing themselves of that. I am trying to discuss it as a possibility without having to worry about being labeled fan boy or what not. But it seems like so many people are so quick to label and judge when something is said that isn't negative. When people are playing a game pre-release you have to think about things that are not complete that could or will be fixed by a Day 1 patch or that the copy obtained is "different" in some way. The others that are leaked have been reported through normal sales. We still don't know where the first leaked copy was obtained since a third party is involved. Is it likely? Not really. Is it possible? Yes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    There are a lot of people that saw what they offered and created what it will be in their mind. There are very few things they haven't delivered on for what they said the game would cover. There are some features that haven't seemed to make it in to the release version of the game but that happens with almost every game when it is discussed while in development. Heck WoW even had a cut feature printed on the WotLK game box.

But you know that a game will have unrealistic expectations when you have just as many people getting blinded by hype as you do those who seem to make it their goal to hate on the game or post mostly negative things about it. If fan boys exist then so do hate boys. And this game has seen its share of both. If you don't like a game or think a ton of things about it are bad and still hang around to discuss it then you have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Meanwhile I'm just sitting here looking forward to a mix of Elite Dangerous and Minecraft (or Subnautica?). Personally I've waited for a game like this for many years. But the technology hasn't been there.
    In my opinion it's the same technology as Minecraft.. it's just a prettier engine. The question is.. will it have anywhere near the same replay-ability and longevity as Minecraft does.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    No one here is convincing themselves of that. I am trying to discuss it as a possibility without having to worry about being labeled fan boy
    There is no possibility.

Name 1 game that has had an "incomplete version" leak on PS4. Good luck on that. It's just you trying to act like No Man's Sky is some unique snow flake and trying to make an excuse for bad reception of the leak.

You tried to link to a review copy of Uncharted 4 to try to prove it was possible, enough said it's not possible.

game comes out in a few days on PC... might try this one out... looked pretty sweet

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    In my opinion it's the same technology as Minecraft.. it's just a prettier engine. The question is.. will it have anywhere near the same replay-ability and longevity as Minecraft does.
    Maybe, maybe not. Personally I never got stuck in Minecraft because I don't particularly enjoy building wonders nor cared about redstone machinery, or the multiplayer. For me, Minecraft was finding a suitable area, build a very rudimentary base, dig until I eventually got a diamond pick, shot a few Creepers, and quit. Maybe I played the game too early, before they added more survival elements. Different people different goals

I don't think NMS will have much replayability, at least not from the go, but for me that isn't very important. But I'd sure like to hear about some sort of NG+ mode that changes dynamics around. Make all wildlife hostile, make sentinels into pure deathmachines, make trading a lot more than just a hunt for credits, but maybe establish automated trade routes etc, or perhaps some sort of Ironman mode where traversing even to the nearest star takes a lot of time to prepare for. To me, in a game like this, that is longevity/replayability in one.

But in the end, you can't really escape that sandbox/exploration games have innate limitations to how long you can have set goals to accomplish before you might feel like you're "done" with the game.
    What I am a bit annoyed by is the pre-purchase offer. No I don't want a better ship right away, because part of the game is upgrading your ship to begin with. I mean hell that makes me NOT pre-purchase.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2016-08-04 at 06:21 PM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

What I am a bit annoyed by is the pre-purchase offer. No I don't want a better ship right away, because part of the game is upgrading your ship to begin with. I mean hell that makes me NOT pre-purchase.
    Same with me. I would have totally preordered the game, if it didn't give me that. I don't want to be given boost like that. I want the basic ship (if ship is even given at begining). I want to play the game. Not get boosted by some preorder bonus.

Once the game IS released and you no longer get the bonus, I will immediately buy the game.

Has there really ever been a game like this before where you get so much freedom within this huge galaxy/universe with the sole purpose of exploring space and planets? That's really the one thing that's always appealed to me. I love space, spaceships, traveling to different planets, and I'm here stuck on earth for the rest of my life. If you ever read/saw Childhoods End I would definitely have chosen to stay on the spaceship to explore the universe with them. That would be amazing. If aliens arrived on our planet today I'd be begging them to take me with them, even if they weren't friendly I'd have to risk it. For now a video game is as good as it's gonna get for me, and at least right now, exploring is the one thing I'm really looking forward to the most.

A lot of people that enjoys games that tries to capture the sheer vastness of space are of course very hyped for NMS. Hell the only game I've ever played that truly captured a sense of scale well for me was EVE Online and that game is as fun as watching grass grow if you're not a very active player in a large corp.

Not everyone thinks procedurally generated stuff is exciting, some do. For some the very idea of a game world so large you may never see another player is EPIC, even though perhaps a majority of gamers would say "... and what the hell is fun with that?"

Or the very idea of landing on a world and look for ionized uranium or whatever simply to upgrade your FTL jump range by 10%.

No Man's Sky is a very niche game. And there certainly has been a lot of misinformation, or as the marvelous language of Forumic translates it: broken promises
    Couldn't agree more. I'm going to play this for the same reason I still occasionally load up Minecraft and just mess around for a bit.

I would love if it had been more like Stellaris 3D (minus the micro management), but I know it's "just" an exploration game. And I'm fine with that.

I've long since stopped caring about hype.

"... and what the hell is fun with that?"
    ... is exactly what I thought when I first saw Abzû. But now I'm really enjoying it.
    Last edited by Idoru; 2016-08-04 at 07:06 PM.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

15+ Year Old Account
    You tried to link to a review copy of Uncharted 4 to try to prove it was possible, enough said it's not possible.
    If they use physical copies for reviews then they will still use them for demo or other early build copies. I linked it to show that everything wasn't solely done on digital like you tried to claim. It is unlikely but still possible that someone could attempt to sell a non-retail version of the game. I am not acting like NMS sky is some special snowflake. I am acting like it is possible that a non-retail copy could be leaked even on a physical disc.

I never said that is what happened with NMS. Only that is is possible though unlikely.