Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    The current understanding of European Nations and others has shaped in late middle ages through modern times, at which your glorious Cyprus was owned by Turks. At 16th century, there wasn't a Greek will in Cyprus Island, and the Island itself was taken from Venetians and not Greeks. So, dear Cypriot, when European identity was being shaped, Cyprus was owned by Turks and it had little to not interaction with political dynamics in Europe that mostly involved Russians, Turks and Western Europeans.
    This map shows the Middle East in green...

The orange parts are Maghreb (or North Africa if you include Egypt), which is often included in discussions of the Middle East and sometimes countries from the pink parts are included, especially Afghanistan, though not so much Kyrgyzstan - they are just taking the piss with a name like that.

The Middle East is a GEOGRAPHICAL REGION, which Turkey is regarded as being located in, apparently you do not know this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    Well that's terrible, but remember that time a Christian bakery in America refused to bake a cake for a gay couple? Hatred is the same all over the world!
    While that's also pretty despicable, if I was gay I'd rather be denied cakes than murdered. That said even in the US people get killed for being gay. You know the ultra-conservative Muslims (and bigots like them) are rattled... that is why they lash out like cornered beasts. In the West, it is and will continue to be 100% legal to be homosexual and to even marry people of the same sex. We must let this trend continue and make it clear that we stand with the LGBT community. We value freedom to bang whatever consenting adult you like, whatever gender they are, and we do not value being policed by an outdated religion that has been hijacked by sociopathic Wahhabist nutjobs akin to the Westboro Baptist Church over in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the record, Turks let go the control of Cyprus around 19th century. It is half Greek half Turkish for, uhm...100 years or so. Your history book goes as back as to "nationalistic bullshit"
    Half Greek, half Turkish?

In the same way that Turkey is half Turkish, half Kurd?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Half Greek, half Turkish?

In the same way that Turkey is half Turkish, half Kurd?
    No, not really. Turkey is controlled by a single entity, that is the grand assembly, whereas Cyprus was initially had a shared system in political power (Turkish PM, Greek President etc.) and now it is physically split.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, not really. Turkey is controlled by a single entity, that is the grand assembly, whereas Cyprus was initially had a shared system in political power (Turkish PM, Greek President etc.) and now it is physically split.
    The ethnic split between Greek-Cypriots and Turkish-Cypriots in Cyprus is roughly similar to that of Turks and Kurds in Turkey, so you are either inferring that Turkey is half Turkish, half Kurdish (which is a ludicrous claim), or you are chatting random shit.

Cyprus was never split half-and-half, I doubt your history books say anything like what you are claiming, so they are probably non-existant.

And you seem to have ignored the picture I provided of the Middle East for you...funny that. It always amuses me when people argue against geography as you are doing, like their personal political viewpoint somehow changes the reality, as opposed to just being delusional ramblings.

Here is another picture of the Middle East, this one is possibly less confusing for you as it does not include surrounding regions...drumroll...Turkey is on it.

Do you want to know why those pesky cartographers keep putting Turkey in the Middle East? It is because that is where it is located.
    Last edited by Kalis; 2016-08-04 at 10:38 PM.

For everyone commenting about how homophobes raped a gay man and the hypocrisy, it's about power.
    Being on top isn't gay, being the bottom is.

Hell, you can see this thought process in every day interactions (people calling other people fags and telling them to suck their dick, etc etc)

Btw, the Ottoman Empire legalized homosexuality in 1858. So Turkey isn't exactly anti-homosexual. This act, if it was even committed by Turks, is part of the worrying trend of increased Islamic fundamentalism in Turkey.

The ethnic split between Greek-Cypriots and Turkish-Cypriots in Cyprus is roughly similar to that of Turks and Kurds in Turkey, so you are either inferring that Turkey is half Turkish, half Kurdish (which is a ludicrous claim), or you are chatting random shit.

Cyprus was never split half-and-half, I doubt your history books say anything like what you are claiming, so they are probably non-existant.

And you seem to have ignored the picture I provided of the Middle East for you...funny that. It always amuses me when people argue against geography as you are doing, like their personal political viewpoint somehow changes the reality, as opposed to just being delusional ramblings.
    Half Greek half Turkish as in political power, rather than demographic as, I think, by saying "been Greek for x thousand year", you meant Greek political control because I am not sure how breeding consistently for three thousand years in a geography, without controlling it as a distinct culture is an achievement.

I didn't comment on your picture because I didn't want to derail the thread even further but since you want it:

You can't claim Turkey is in ME, when it has physical part in continental Europe. You can say "most of the Turkey is in ME", tho that's an empty statement. Nations cluster based on political and historical alignment as much as geography. Two good examples are Turkey and Russia. These are European nations because most of their contemporary history is tied with Europe. This is precisely why both Russia and Turkey are in Europe in a political map.

Further more, I think everyone, including me, should avoid ME as it's a terrible geographical descriptor. Cyprus along with Turkey and Greece should be considered Mediterranean not European and not Middle Eastern, politically speaking.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2016-08-04 at 10:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Half Greek half Turkish as in political power, rather than demographic as, I think, by saying "been Greek for x thousand year", you meant Greek political control because I am not sure how breeding consistently for three thousand years in a geography, without controlling it as a distinct culture is an achievement.
    Who said it was an achievement? I said they are culturally European but located in the Middle East, which they are.

Cyprus has been conquered by just about every nation that could muster a group of soldiers, it does not change anything - I do not think they were independent prior to the 1960s for something like 2,500 years, or some crazy timeframe like that.

There is no half Greek, half Turkish power share in Cyprus, not sure what you are on about there.

I didn't comment on your picture because I didn't want to derail the thread even further but since you want it:

You can't claim Turkey is in ME, when it has physical part in continental Europe. You can say "most of the Turkey is in ME", tho that's an empty statement. Nations cluster based on political and historical alignment as much as geography. Two good examples are Turkey and Russia. These are European nations because most of their contemporary history is tied with Europe. This is precisely why both Russia and Turkey are in Europe in a political map.
    I can claim that Turkey is in the Middle East, because the Middle East is a term that includes Turkey.

You are arguing against an accepted term in the English language and geography, that is not an argument you are going to win, yet here you are fighting the impossible fight.

Further more, I think everyone, including me, should avoid ME as it's a terrible geographical descriptor. Cyprus along with Turkey and Greece should be considered Mediterranean not European and not Middle Eastern, politically speaking.
    There is no need to fudge the English language.

Who said it was an achievement? I said they are culturally European but located in the Middle East, which they are.

Cyprus has been conquered by just about every nation that could muster a group of soldiers, it does not change anything - I do not think they were independent prior to the 1960s for something like 2,500 years, or some crazy timeframe like that.

There is no half Greek, half Turkish power share in Cyprus, not sure what you are on about there.

I can claim that Turkey is in the Middle East, because the Middle East is a term that includes Turkey.

You are arguing against an accepted term in the English language and geography, that is not an argument you are going to win, yet here you are fighting the impossible fight.
    It's reaching funny levels at this point. It's like the British distancing themselves from some of their more infamous colonial occupations. Or the Germans...or the Belgians, or the Americans...
    "Not us, nuh'uh! It wasn't me, blame someone else!". Like sheesh, just buckle up, it's not an attack on you, it's just a fact in history or in this case geography.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    Well that's terrible, but remember that time a Christian bakery in America refused to bake a cake for a gay couple? Hatred is the same all over the world!
    Dear God I hope you're being sarcastic.

Deleted
    Always effin religion. Making us kill each other for no good reason. Religion is humanity's cancer.

@Kalis
    You may want to read about pre-invasion political system of Cyprus. The power was shared and Turks did held quite a bit of power, unlike Turkey where Kurds hold little to no power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    It's like the British distancing themselves from some of their more infamous colonial occupations.
    Generally we just say that we gave them Common Law and railways, and they should be grateful, not entiely convinced we distance ourselves from it.

- - - Updated - - -

@Kalis
    You may want to read about pre-invasion political system of Cyprus. The power was shared and Turks did held quite a bit of power, unlike Turkey where Kurds hold little to no power.
    The power never had a half/half split pre-invasion.

And it does not change where Turkey is located, so is not relevant anyway.

Generally we just say that we gave them Common Law and railways, and they should be grateful, not entiely convinced we distance ourselves from it.
    That's why I said infamous. Like mentioning that good ol' Churchill was actually a nasty son of a bitch in some side remark.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    I feel like your priorities are skewed.
    Was totally being sarcastic and parodying SJWs.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's why I said infamous. Like mentioning that good ol' Churchill was actually a nasty son of a bitch in some side remark.
    Of course he was a complete bastard, you do not achieve what he did by being nice. Or even sober in his case.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    They are so homosexual themselves finally getting a chance to lash out on it, fucking pathetic and i hope they hang them all for what they did.
    Well, you can't put the blame on them. Think about the National dominant religion in Turkey - Islam. In Islam it is absolutely forbidden to be gay, have gay friends/family or have anything to do with them. Not even let them into your house.

Because of religion these people are scared to come out of the closet and embrace their true sexuality. They will be banished from their families and lose all ties with their friends. They saw this as an excuse to kind of fly under the radar and use the rape as a form of torture to mask their lust for gay sex.

I really hope turkey wakes the fuck up and step out of this stone age mindset and embrace modern society. The country is a beautiful place absolutely breathtaking scenery and such. But the people ruin it.

The power never had a half/half split pre-invasion.
    You read too much into lines. By half/half, I didn't mean in a literal sense. Turks did held a veto power, which meant they could pretty much veto everything Greeks throw at them. The power is hard to quantify and split in a rigorous sense, but ability to veto is a powerful option to have.

And it does not change where Turkey is located, so is not relevant anyway.
    I could claim Turkey is located in Banana, because I can make up terms too. The definition of ME changed over time. First it was used to refer to Persia and around, now it refers entire area. I don't give a damn what some not-so-rigorous term means in English. If you want to talk about geography, talk geography.

You read too much into lines. By half/half, I didn't mean in a literal sense. Turks did held a veto power, which meant they could pretty much veto everything Greeks throw at them. The power is hard to quantify and split in a rigorous sense, but ability to veto is a powerful option to have.

I could claim Turkey is located in Banana, because I can make up terms too. The definition of ME changed over time. First it was used to refer to Persia and around, now it refers entire area. I don't give a damn what some not-so-rigorous term means in English. If you want to talk about geography, talk geography.
    Oh sweet baby Jesus, would you stop tip-toe-ing around it? Or do you claim Russia is west of Estonia too, just because Kaliningrad is?

The Middle East is a region that includes most of Turkey geographically by pretty much every literature worth a damn.

Oh sweet baby Jesus, would you stop tip-toe-ing around it? Or do you claim Russia is west of Estonia too, just because Kaliningrad is?

The Middle East is a region that includes most of Turkey geographically by pretty much every literature worth a damn.
    Do you know how they include Turkey in ME? They use the closure used by USA. The term is defined by Western doctrines, which happens to change over time. Now you and @Kalis gotta tell me why I can't come up with my own ME closure. Do not try to sell vague terms as rigorous ones.