Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Not if you get fired so easily. The smart thing to do is get a job with security. That way if you had a rough night and fall asleep, you won't get instafired.
    Um, in the real world, if your job is anywhere near "good," then not doing your job on company time WILL get you fired. Job security does not mean you can slack off, do whatever the fuck you want and they won't bother firing you for it. Job security means that you're important enough to the company that they won't lay you off and export your job overseas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    Um, in the real world, if your job is anywhere near "good," then not doing your job on company time WILL get you fired. Job security does not mean you can slack off, do whatever the fuck you want and they won't bother firing you for it. Job security means that you're important enough to the company that they won't lay you off and export your job overseas.
    No way bro. It would be up to your manager/supervisor and if you are actually a good worthwhile employee you will just get a warning. I wouldn't be worried. Not to mention if you have a job with a union. Good luck trying to fire someone over a nap.

You got to be a grubby lil bitch, to fire someone over that, on the first offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    This I'd understand. If it's a job with breaks in it, then fine, yeah. So long as you're still being productive when you need to be. If you've got nothing to be doing while that code spends an hour or two compiling, then who cares. If you're clocked out on your 30 minute break, who cares.

- - - Updated - - -

Right. We'll replace the humans with machines then!
    You don't clock in or out. You're there, and if something comes up, sure, you can do something. But generally, there's nothing productive for me to do while I'm doing a new build.

no. if it becomes an issue then by all means warn them a few times then have them written up then fired. it depends on their job though. if its a job that requires them to be active and alert at all times then by all means fire them but if its a job with lots of downtime and they accomplish all of their work anyway then who cares.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    It would depend on the job, but in about 80% of circumstances, yeah I would absolutely fire them.
    I take naps at work all the time, but my job is about 50% doing something, and 50% waiting to do that something. I am probably a bad example though, because that's just how my job is set up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    On a second offense, yes. It'd be an instant writeup regardless of circumstances, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

That depends. Are they in a role where losing focus could mean real harm to other humans (like heavy goods vehicle operator)?

In that case, I'd write them up.

In any other case, as long as they get their workload done properly, I could barely care less.

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    There are many good, non-exportable jobs that don't require 100% attentiveness all the time.

Even then, if you have a really good employee, you wan't to know what makes them so tired and help them with it. If your employee is truly good, you want to keep them, and you want to make arrangements that help with that.
    Last edited by Magicpot; 2016-08-11 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    In Belgium you cannot fire someone on the spot unless they received 3 warnings in writing...
    That is pretty sad.

When see that all I think is how those written warnings will become live ammo that can then later be used against the company in a law suit.

What happens if they company has to downsize?
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

it really depends on the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Obviously not. What kind of garbage job must you be working if you're gonna fire someone just for one nap.

Not like they're at the helm of a nuclear reactor or something.
    One day you "might" own a business and have employees that you're paying to work. If they are sleeping on the job they aren't working. You can easily find a better employee. I'm surprised you don't want to throw them in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    That would depend entirely on what their job is.
    And what it cost you. Large loss associated with that nap, sure. Nothing bad happened though? Talk to them about it but prolly not fire. Unless a shit employee you want to let go anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    No of course not. But where I work, there aren't regular hours. People just work until they're done with what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    Got curious around this question the other day. Personally, I'd like to know what happened in the last nights before taking any actions.

And you?
    You don't know what their situation might be. What if they were sick the night before? Or they might have a sick parent / child / significant other? I'd say, let it go. Now if you caught them napping everyday... then yes, ask what is going on, encourage them they need to stop. If it continues, then yes, take action.

I personally had a boss that fell asleep at work all the damn time. Hell, he even fell asleep in a fedex truck during a ride along with me once. lol I didn't give a shit. He was sound asleep, which didn't bother me one bit, main reason because I am not used to having people in the truck with me during my route. So w/e. People are tired for different reasons. In my boss's case, I later found out he had sleep apnea.

ITT: A bunch of people that aren't in a position at work to fire an employee.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    No but it depends on that person everyday attitude, everybody can have a bad day.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would dock an hour of their pay and warn them not to do it again, I'm not paying them to sleep, and there iare plenty of people looking for work who will likely not nap on the job.

Obviously if they repeated the process I would have to resort to harsher punishments, eventually resulting in their loss of employment.

If they aren't doing anything at the time and come to me and say something along the lines of "hey, I'm not feeling so great can I take an extra break today?" I'd say sure, and they can have an extra 15 min break to nap or longer if there still isn't anything for them to do, no harm in that (though if the lull in work to do lasted longer than 15 minutes I would probly clock them out for the remainder of the break)... Doing it without permission, however, is a not something I would allow.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2016-08-11 at 04:48 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    No.

A firm warning.
    While extremely unprofessional, I would let them off. It it kept happening, you would have to start some kind of disciplinary process.
    Public spankings in front of the rest of the coworkers?

Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    Going by the lack of context? No. We'd have a sit down discussion though, give a warning if no medical condition is involved and send the employee home to get some rest. I would fully expect this to be a 1 time thing.

In Belgium you cannot fire someone on the spot unless they received 3 warnings in writing or they committed a serious offense, whether napping on the job is a serious offense might be up for discussion.
    Nah you can get fired for 1 but 3 Warning are normal so you cant easy sued the company.