Thread: No Man's Sky

yes the flight controls suck a bit and are very very hand holdy, the inventory is a problem but i see it as simply part of the progression, gotta hunt for those exo suit upgrades.

it also run alright for me, i've had the same rig for a while but i got more ram recently.

a8 6600k
    16gb hyperx 1866
    msi r7 370. 2gb

I get slow down while boosting across the surface, like when i'm forcing the game to generate content in real time. but walking around i'm getting 40-50 with a high/med mix aa off and af x8.

all in all i'm not too bothered about the consolitis in this game, its there and very noticeable but its not a fast paced game so its not really hampering the experience all that much.

I got killed last night and thought i lost everything but if you die to pirates in space, you can fly back to where you died and get your shit back. the 'grave' icon is kinda hard to miss so if you die don't panic or rage quit :P.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2016-08-13 at 04:07 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drazail View Post
    Frankly I found the universe much less immersive than ED's. having said that, it is still a fun exploration experience, just not as immersive and expansive of an experience compared to some other titles.
    What's an ED?

Quote Originally Posted by ddd View Post
    What's an ED?
    Elite: Dangerous, a direct descendant of Elite, the original space trading/combat simulator.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    A lot of people have been saying this from the beginning. You cannot ´procedurally´ generate an interesting world, all they are doing is generating boring landscapes, and then changing the tints. There will be a billion planets, all a slightly different shade of pink, none of them worth seeing or exploring because nothing is going to be worth looking at.
    That is entirely subjective though. I've seen some interesting worlds. Moon's are usually beautiful because you get the Planets in the background. The world I was on before I quit last night was water and snow with some pink sort of pine trees and had out croppings all over the place that looked like a magnet on a pole. That is hardly boring. I've also seen circles of Iron pillars with glowing flowers in them and different color ground inside the circle to make a cool break to the usual terrain.

You can use procedural generation to generate an interesting world. But you can also get boring ones. It ranges the entire spectrum which is what you'd get even if the planets were human created. Because some will be boring and some won't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    I got killed last night and thought i lost everything but if you die to pirates in space, you can fly back to where you died and get your shit back. the 'grave' icon is kinda hard to miss so if you die don't panic or rage quit :P.
    Yeah I died last night when I decided to attack a freight just to see what happens when I shoot it. I shot a couple of its containers before I realized you could shoot its turrets. I was to close to see the turrets on my screen when I was attacking the containers and then a sentinel finished me off because I couldn't keep it in view.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

yeah i was just going from planet to planet and i see the hostile scan detected, then i'm like oh well ill just run away, nope. i might have to deliberately be a dick to practice the space combat in this game. that and the pre-order ship didn't seem to be all that sturdy. mostly i've just been farming credits to jump to a much bigger ship. its kinda cheesy i guess how i'm doing this but i actually cannot wait for those extra slots.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2016-08-13 at 04:49 PM.

The best way is to explore your first solar system (all planets) as much as you can to farm insane amount of inventory and ship and gun upgrades

15+ Year Old Account
    http://images.akamai.steamuserconten...39F3C0A7E4C0A/

I'd call that a beautiful and "not boring" generation. Of course that planet is called "Paradise" and is where I'm meeting Atlas for the quest. I just hope eventually they increase the sight distance. It would be cool if we could toggle to remove all of the "distance fog" for screenshots even if it is impractical for playing (unless you have a beast of a system).

Edit: That planet above even has a cool floating rock formation that is part of an arch that floats just above the mountain. Just need to tab back into the game and get a screenshot http://images.akamai.steamuserconten...1146D3BCC7307/
    Last edited by rhorle; 2016-08-13 at 05:15 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Played for a couple hours this morning and...I don't know I'm kinda already bored. I mean just running around exploring and farming? Just not stimulating enough to keep my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by xerus View Post
    Only thing I have seen so far is that the next update will have base building and freighters. Not really sure the point of base building, but whatever.

Haven't seen any kind of roadmap with planned features.
    I'd love to know what the point of building bases will be. Currently they would serve no useful purpose, as the point of the game is to keep traveling, not settling down on a base somewhere. There isn't even a bookmark system to keep track of the planets you've visisted. What would you even put in a base?

Same goes for the "huge freighters". Unless they implement the ability to do serious industrial mining I don't see what you'd put in them. And even then I guess the only reason you'd fly one is to travel between planet and trade station?

They need to be clear about what exactly they plan for the game in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Shitposting != criticizing. So I wonder, If you are not getting paid for it, so why? Is it pleasure?
    Watching and following a game that was so overhyped and that I had a mild interest in and then calling it out for the turd it actually is. Yeah, it's fair game to criticize it and voice disappointment over it.

But apparently, according to people like you, I'm not allowed to say anything negative about it because then that's nothing more than shitposting. Fanboys like you crack me up. Heaven forbid people call out your favorite game for the steaming pile of shit that it is.

Apparently a not insignificant amount of issues come from the fact that people are computer-illiterate: http://steamcommunity.com/app/275850...2137536640057/

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post

I'd call that a beautiful and "not boring" generation. Of course that planet is called "Paradise" and is where I'm meeting Atlas for the quest. I just hope eventually they increase the sight distance. It would be cool if we could toggle to remove all of the "distance fog" for screenshots even if it is impractical for playing (unless you have a beast of a system).

Edit: That planet above even has a cool floating rock formation that is part of an arch that floats just above the mountain. Just need to tab back into the game and get a screenshot http://images.akamai.steamuserconten...1146D3BCC7307/
    Highly subjective. That looks pretty bland and uninspiring to me. If that's the kind of "amazing vistas" this game can generate, then I'm unimpressed. I've seen games from 5+ years ago with more breathtaking scenery than that poop you posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    I'd love to know what the point of building bases will be. Currently they would serve no useful purpose, as the point of the game is to keep traveling, not settling down on a base somewhere. There isn't even a bookmark system to keep track of the planets you've visisted. What would you even put in a base?

Same goes for the "huge freighters". Unless they implement the ability to do serious industrial mining I don't see what you'd put in them. And even then I guess the only reason you'd fly one is to travel between planet and trade station?

They need to be clear about what exactly they plan for the game in the long term.
    I honestly don't think the devs themselves even know what exactly they want for this game. Honestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heard it was like spore space stage (i really enjoyed trading spice) Played an hour got incredibly bored , got a refund and bought metal gear solid :S

I find it to be rather relaxing, a nice casual game. The kind of game I have no interest in playing yet once I start the hours just seem to disappear. Why Sony thought they could get away with the pricing I will never understand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have about 6.5 hours in (running 4770k and GTX 1080) and have had one freeze and no crashes.

Really enjoying the game, but I can't find the fucking Atlas space station to save my life.

Oh, and I'm on my third ship; bought the second for 770k last night, and found a third like an hour ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Apparently a not insignificant amount of issues come from the fact that people are computer-illiterate: http://steamcommunity.com/app/275850...2137536640057/
    I'm not reading anything illiterate..

Except maybe the intel 'gfx' card, which I assume refers to onboard.

Every single PC reviewer I watched has had significant issues with the game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Highly subjective. That looks pretty bland and uninspiring to me. If that's the kind of "amazing vistas" this game can generate, then I'm unimpressed. I've seen games from 5+ years ago with more breathtaking scenery than that poop you posted.
    This is a prime example of the difference between simply criticizing something and plain old bashing. If the vista in the links I posted is what you consider "poop" then there are a fair amount of things in the world that must be terrible to you. This type of game is clearly lost on a person like you who can't enjoy something that looks good because of a predilection for feces.

Of course you've seen games with more breath taking scenery. No one was saying that it is the best that has ever been created by man or machine. Simply that it looks good and isn't all bland boring scenery. The problem though is you are so focused on bashing the game and spending time to proclaim how terrible the game is that you can't have an unbiased discussion about it.

Love the fact that Ive learned over 100 words of the first species I met and yet every fucking convo has the exact 4 known words show up and 90 % still untranslatable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post

It is boring though, every planet looks like this, just a different colour, some have trees, some have grass. There is nothing interesting to find, apart from a pretty landscape which is the same as another, but different colour.

Once you've seen a few planets, you've seen them all, would love to be proven wrong, but anything I have seen, is the same, but different colour.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2016-08-13 at 06:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a fun game, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I cannot however recommend it for $60 USD.
    What the game does well (exploring, mining, trading) it does really well.
    Uncovering the lore from the species (I've only contacted two so far) is pretty interesting.
    I know I'm on the rim of the solar system, but the game feels empty. Unbelievably empty. I get that space is big, but I was super stoked when a trading post popped up on my system scan; when I got there, it was a singular Kovak (wrong name, but it's close) and the same trading terminal you see everywhere.
    Ship combat. Fuck this aspect of the game completely. The controls are terrible for dogfighting. Any time I've been engaged I just planet dive if possible, and log out if not.
    I'm pretty excited for new things to be added.

(oh and I'm pretty bitter I spawned on a planet already named, and am basically following the path of that same person)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.