Thread: No Man's Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    Those aren't alpha or beta tests either, but live versions marketed as an alpha or beta to build hype and have streamers release snippets of your game before it hits the shelves.

Don't be dense.
    Uh huh. Keep telling yourself that. Meanwhile, the rest of us will be sitting over here in a place called reality.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    @Zephyr Storm, I understand the anger you have, but do you really believe the problems were outright lies, or just plain old incompetence?
    Both actually. They seem pretty incompetent in addition to the fact that they KNEW they were lying to players when they were already that close to release.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Both actually. They seem pretty incompetent in addition to the fact that they KNEW they were lying to players when they were already that close to release.
    The funny part is if the dev's just stfu about the game for a year none of this would be a issue. But no they had to do interviews and showings back to back and then harp on "What Is In the game"

People defending this are the reason we get broken,buggy and half complete games.

If this was a $20 title and what is in the game was all that was advertised then fine and it would be a half decent $20 game.

But it isn't.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    For a lot of stuff that is often the case. But 1 month before release you know what will and will not be in the game (aside from really minor stuff). They knew 1 month before release that they would not have multiplayer for example.
    That is why people are calling this deliberate lies and not just promises that didn't work out.
    That's what I meant in part by the spaghetti thing. They're proverbially shitting themselves the entire way, delayed it as long as they could, forced to push it out and still way in over their heads. Probably figured they would continue lying and just patch in stuff ASAP after the release. What they didn't count on was two initial streamers both reaching the same system on the first day. That was the beginning of the floodgates against them.

Honestly, for a so-called exploration game, even that part could be a lot better. The galactic map is a PITA to navigate. You can't set bookmarks manually for locations. Scanned locations will randomly delete themselves from your temp waypoints, even ones you hacked an antenna to find. Survival is trivially easy on planets as the monster AI is stupid and there are so many ways to recharge your environmental shield—any cave of course, but also borehole into say heridium works, blowing a shaft into the ground or a cliff works, all the protection plants around to harvest and refill instantly. Or once you have the specific resist tech, you can refill it from shielding shards that cost 50 iron only which you find everywhere. I guess we'll have to look to modding for a true survival mode.

Besides that it would be a lot more interesting to have a full range of stars and planets. A system should have gas giants or maybe molten planets too close, etc. as ambience in systems. All 3 races using the exact same buildings and stations also cuts down on the feeling of a diverse universe they attempted to create. Also, lack of true mountains and diversity of vegetation etc.... 18 hojillion planets loses its luster when the terrain doesn't vary much.
    Last edited by stellvia; 2016-08-24 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    That's what I meant in part by the spaghetti thing. They're proverbially shitting themselves the entire way, delayed it as long as they could, forced to push it out and still way in over their heads. Probably figured they would continue lying and just patch in stuff ASAP after the release. What they didn't count on was two initial streamers both reaching the same system on the first day. That was the beginning of the floodgates against them.
    Why do game devs keep underestimating the gaming community. It blows my mind that this shit keeps getting repeated, say they can't do something and they will do it 10x.

Say a guy can't beat Dark Souls without getting hit and he will do it and then do it in DS3 LOL.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-08-24 at 10:21 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Why do game devs keep underestimating the gaming community. It blows my mind that this shit keeps getting repeated, say they can't do something and they will do it 10x.

Say a guy can't beat Dark Souls without getting hit and he will do it and then do it in DS3 LOL.
    Because the 'cult of you can do anything' that are a marketing bonanza that scream to 'get hype' about whatever their youtube influencers and twitch screamer streamers tell them to are easy money. Easy stupid money that colours the developer and publishers opinion of the consumer. One which essentially entails to "these fucking idiots will buy anything if we use the word hype and they will now even prepurchase before seeing a retail build, what morons!". Look t every single game ever that gets popular in the mainstream and watch its sequels get its mechanics neutered and difficulty removed to the point of becoming a movie with some walking inbetween in the name of 'wider market appeal'.

Sadly as games overtook movies in revenue the concept wasnt 'more niche markets for more cheap games for more kinds of people' and more 'make one hyper casual homogenised blob of white noise and con enough rubes into uying it before they see what it is that we make a profit that is designed for no core audience at all'.

But its 2016 and people either dont know the wiser or dont care and still parrot the 'get hype' trigger word to kickstart the brand loyalty indoctrination process all over again. a prepurchase equates your self worth, criticism of the product is a personal attack you must rabidly, venomously defend against all the while bob marketing laughs at all these idiots falling for the same trick again and again and again without pause or failure to keep step with whatever a talking head told them to buy.

When thats seen as the main audience for every western game studio how can they have high expectations of player abilities? Just go back to E3 for No Mans Skys whole "and heres a fleet in battle, i can join in, i can take sides" and that was a fabrication. It does not exist. But it never needed to, it just needed to make the "cult of you can do anything/go there" get their 'hype' trigger flipped again.

and boy did it work.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a fucking riot. If this half finished, shallow, repetitive game that was released too early and at too high of a price from a lying developer wins GOTY for 2016, then there is no fucking hope left for the video game industry.

People can like this game all they want, but to say it could easily win GOTY 2016 puts you on a whole new plane of delusional.
    I honestly feel as strongly about Witcher III as you do about No Man's Sky. It still won. Games you don't like, even games you hate, can be good.

10+ Year Old Account

Ok so now that the disappointment train has rolled in on this thread I'm just gonna link this. Sean is the new Peter Molyneux. I hope everyone realizes how full of shit he is and never buys something of his again. It's probably gonna take tons of patches and updates or a full sequel to get what was advertised originally.

The most damning part is 10:50 in the video. Skip to that.
    Last edited by Mister Cheese; 2016-08-24 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    I honestly feel as strongly about Witcher III as you do about No Man's Sky. It still won. Games you don't like, even games you hate, can be good.
    The difference there being that Witcher 3 was a complete/full game with a shit ton more features and things to do and had way more polish and effort put into it. If you step back and actually look at the two games from an objective standpoint, they don't even come fucking close to each other. You can like/hate whatever you want, but to sit there and make ignorant comments like you are about game quality and what is GOTY worthy is beyond laughable. Most people with common sense and a brain will tell you that your comparison is idiotic and holds absolutely no weight on what you're trying to prove.

15+ Year Old Account
    The difference there being that Witcher 3 was a complete/full game with a shit ton more features and things to do and had way more polish and effort put into it.
    NMS is a full and complete game. Even lacking the things talked about while it was in development it is still full and complete. You won't get to a point and just not be able to do anything else because Hello Games didn't finish the game. It might not be as robust a game as everyone wanted but it is full and complete.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris the Shaman View Post

Ok so now that the disappointment train has rolled in on this thread I'm just gonna link this. Sean is the new Peter Molyneux. I hope everyone realizes how full of shit he is and never buys something of his again. It's probably gonna take tons of patches and updates or a full sequel to get what was advertised originally.

The most damning part is 10:50 in the video. Skip to that.
    Yeah, good luck trying to get the fanboys in this thread to actually believe the proof that you put right in front of their eyes. I don't think I've ever seen such a blind and ignorant group of gamers as the people defending NMS until their dying breath.

I mean seriously. It's ok to like any game on the planet and enjoy playing it for what it is. That's all up to opinion and interpretation for each individual. And if they like playing a game, then that's fine....more power to them. They can play the game all they want.

What the problem here is and what I and several others have been trying to do, however, is prove to them that this game is not what was advertised, that the developer lied about a ton of stuff, that the game is way overpriced for what it is, and that this is all an extremely shady and shitty business practice that has been going on now for years and is only getting worse with games like this. Most of this is objective stuff with proof being provided for it more times than I can count now in this thread. But fanboys continue to ignore anything and everything put before them and keep saying stupid shit like "haters gonna hate, game is great!" All the while continuing to defend this asshat of a developer and their halfassed, content starved, overpriced, and repetitive game.

Like I said, they can love the game all they want and keep playing it. But they need to stop acting and pretending like nothing is wrong with the game and its developer and how everyone was straight up lied to. Especially when they've been provided proof time and time again. And they need to stop defending shitty devs and their shady business decisions because they're only hurting themselves and all other gamers in the long run.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    NMS is a full and complete game. Even lacking the things talked about while it was in development it is still full and complete. You won't get to a point and just not be able to do anything else because Hello Games didn't finish the game. It might not be as robust a game as everyone wanted but it is full and complete.
    Yeah ok. Like I said. Fanboys ignoring all the proof we provide them in this thread.

When the game doesn't even have an ending to it, especially not the one that was hyped and advertised all along, you can't really say that it's complete. Or when half the content was cut from the game after it was said it was going to be there. Etc, etc, etc.

It's quite obvious you will continue to ignore reality, so it's probably best if we just ignore you as well. You've more than proven again and again how much of a hard on you have for this game and will defend it and the developer regardless of whatever evidence is provided to you. You've been proven wrong on a lot of the stuff you've said but turn around and act like it's all subjective bullshit anyway and hand wave it away.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2016-08-24 at 05:04 PM.

The person I quoted claimed that there is at least $30 of cut content from the game.
    That's not a hyperbole, it's just subjective. Different people value their currency in different ways. I certainly agree, this game does not appear to be worth $60 from everything I've seen, I would say 20-30 at most. I will probably pick it up if it goes on sale, though, people keep insisting that if you watch streams for a few hours you'll have seen everything but it looks fun enough to me still, just not $60 fun. Cities Skylines was certainly worth the $30 even though it wasn't that complicated or deep of a game when it came out, as an example of a company that did it right. Had they priced it at $60 they probably would've disappointed a lot of people as well. I think that's the biggest problem here that people are talking about - they advertised this game as if it were a $60 game when it wasn't. This is what makes people feel lied to. That, essentially, Hello Games knew they were releasing a $30 game but kept the price tag double that regardless.

But again, this price tag is subjective, some people would have happily paid $150 for this game and not complained, obviously not everyone is going to complain or be disappointed by the result. If you are one of the people who is not in any way disappointed with how things turned out...does that make you not a fanboy? You are literally a fan of what you got, I don't see the problem here. Some people think Path of Exile is past its prime for whatever reason, yet I continue to give them my money for their f2p game, if someone called me a fangirl of that game they would be absolutely right. I don't see how that label has to be a bad thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot less people would be bitching if this was a 25-30 dollar early access game on steam.

People on both sides of the argument are spending way too much time on this. 2 weeks later here we are still having the same conversation.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    That's not a hyperbole, it's just subjective. Different people value their currency in different ways. I certainly agree, this game does not appear to be worth $60 from everything I've seen, I would say 20-30 at most.
    It wasn't a comment about the price tag though. It was a comment about the value of the cut content which labeling it at $30 is certainly hyperbole and why I asked for an itemized list. So I could see how they are valuing each piece of cut content. And it is also hyperbole because I am dead certain that even with most of that content in the game they would still think that the price isn't worth $60.

Just because I am fine with what I got doesn't mean I am also not disappointed. And that doesn't make me a fan boy. Because fan boy is usually reserved for those who blindly defend something while ignoring the facts. Of course a lot of people who can't handle people having a different view throw it around so it loses all meaning.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

It wasn't a comment about the price tag though. It was a comment about the value of the cut content which labeling it at $30 is certainly hyperbole and why I asked for an itemized list. So I could see how they are valuing each piece of cut content. And it is also hyperbole because I am dead certain that even with most of that content in the game they would still think that the price isn't worth $60.

Just because I am fine with what I got doesn't mean I am also not disappointed. And that doesn't make me a fan boy. Because fan boy is usually reserved for those who blindly defend something while ignoring the facts. Of course a lot of people who can't handle people having a different view throw it around so it loses all meaning.
    Yeah..spot on...

Way I see it, €60 - €30 is €30. I never labelled the missing content worth 30, I think the current game is worth tops 30, meaning not 60, which means there's 30 worth of missing content.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Yeah..spot on...

Way I see it, €60 - €30 is €30. I never labelled the missing content worth 30, I think the current game is worth tops 30, meaning not 60, which means there's 30 worth of missing content.
    The problem with statements like this is: if it was priced €30, you would consider it a good game? Inherently you do since you mention that it's worth 30. If something is worth its price, then it must be considered good for its price.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah..spot on... Way I see it, €60 - €30 is €30. I never labelled the missing content worth 30, I think the current game is worth tops 30, meaning not 60, which means there's 30 worth of missing content.
    Yes you did. You clearly called the missing content to be €30. Hence why your €60 - €30 equation comes out to €30 instead of €10, €5, €15, €50 etc.

Cutting at least €30 of content without any notice is normal people, move along, MOVE THE FUCK ALONG HATORS! P.S. Rhorle should not be taken seriously, ever.

You just described yourself when you described what a fanboy is. So yeah....there's that....

15+ Year Old Account
    You just described yourself when you described what a fanboy is. So yeah....there's that....
    But I am not blindly defending them while ignoring the facts. I have on more then one occasion stated that I don't like aspects of the game. So no there is not that. I am just not going to burn the entire house down because there is a spider in the bathroom. I accept what is and isn't and I am okay with what isn't in the game even if I am disappointed by it. I approached the game with enough skepticism to not wager my enjoyment on everything that was said during Dev interviews and hype.

I have even enjoyed the simple exploring more then I thought I would. Because these types of games usually are not something I play for to long as I don't really care for sandbox games. (I can't play Minecraft for more then 30 mins or so at a time because I get bored in it). I didn't expect everything to make it but hoped for the best that it would. It is still a fun enjoyable experience. About the only cut feature I truly miss is the limited multiplayer because it is cool to have that chance at encountering and seeing someone.

Thats not a fan boy. Thats a normal approach to something. Unlike you seem to imply there is more then just Fanboy, and disliking a game.