Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Because A> what you're describing isn't happening, and B> you used ridiculous hyperbole like "weaponising". As if asking people to not be blatantly racist was akin to mailing them Anthrax or something.
    There's a difference between asking, and getting a bunch of people to send letters, and getting someone fired because you didn't like what they said.
    How many head of universoties have been made to resign by the PC crowd? Professors?

Not happening? Yeah, ok. Keep your head in the sand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    I'm not seeing the issue here. I've no problem with people dressing up as leprechauns and talking in a terrible Irish accent, as long as they don't get in my face about it or physically attack me over it.

PC culture is a ticking time bomb from my experience.

They will actively hunt you down in a crowd, get in your face, aggressively interrogating you on issues, then when you dare walk way, or not want to discuss it, or tell them to stop harassing you, they resort to violence
    Call the police then. They will not be taking the side of the harassers.

7+ Year Old Account
    And, if you choose to not be nice, people might point out that you're not very nice.

That's the worst that "political correctness" has to throw at you. That people might notice how not-nice you are. If you don't want that to happen, maybe try not being a jerk in the first place?
    Let's go at this from another angle.

When the most recent X-Men movie came out, there was a poster with the main villain choking mystique. It was well enough as advertisement for a movie. But then some people thought it was sexist and promoting domestic violence so they basically screamed and threw a fit until it was taken down.

Now, do you really think the people who designed it were rubbing their hands together and deliberately trying to "be a dick"? No, they were just making an advertisement for the movie.

Again, that is what PC is in our world today. It really is about censorship.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.dictionary.com/browse/offensive

Any other basic English words you want to feign that you don't understand the meaning of?
    That's subjective, what i find offensive is not what you find offensive. Feelings don't trump freedom speech, if it did we'd have feeling speech but we don't.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    I'm not seeing the issue here. I've no problem with people dressing up as leprechauns and talking in a terrible Irish accent, as long as they don't get in my face about it or physically attack me over it.

PC culture is a ticking time bomb from my experience.

They will actively hunt you down in a crowd, get in your face, aggressively interrogating you on issues, then when you dare walk way, or not want to discuss it, or tell them to stop harassing you, they resort to violence
    I have literally never seen or heard of this happening, anywhere. And even if you can drum up an occasion or two where it happened, that's an argument against that one particular individual.

What you're describing is not even remotely the standard experience.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Well yes "forcing" will never work but an expectation of social standards can go just as far. Most adults and even kids for that matter don't go around hurling insults at each other off the start. Especially not strangers. Do unto others and such. You'll have bad apples but assuming everyone is generally nice and acting in turn can make for civil conversations and not two monkeys just throwing feces at one another.
    PC is just breeding resentment. It served no purpose and is actually causing more problems. It's kind of like the flaw of having good intentions...

- - - Updated - - -

I have literally never seen or heard of this happening, anywhere. And even if you can drum up an occasion or two where it happened, that's an argument against that one particular individual.

What you're describing is not even remotely the standard experience.
    Are you going to wave off every instance that doesn't agree with how you see Political Correctness as a unique incident?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Let's go at this from another angle.

When the most recent X-Men movie came out, there was a poster with the main villain choking mystique. It was well enough as advertisement for a movie. But then some people thought it was sexist and promoting domestic violence so they basically screamed and threw a fit until it was taken down.

Now, do you really think the people who designed it were rubbing their hands together and deliberately trying to "be a dick"? No, they were just making an advertisement for the movie.

I'm not sure you understand what "censorship" actually is, because there was no censorship whatsoever in the example you cited.

Some people responded to an advertisement by expressing their freedom of speech, and based on their arguments, those who issued the advertisement rethought it and took it down.

No censorship at all. You're literally complaining that people expressed their opinions, because you disagree with them. You wanting them to be silenced, that is censorship.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post
    That's subjective, what i find offensive is not what you find offensive. Feelings don't trump freedom speech, if it did we'd have feeling speech but we don't.
    You're free to express yourself in politically incorrect ways. And everyone else is free to express how much they dislike what you said and you for saying it.

That's what freedom of speech looks like.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you going to wave off every instance that doesn't agree with how you see Political Correctness as a unique incident?
    When they're fantasies that people are inventing without any basis in reality, yes, I'm going to wave those off.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure you understand what "censorship" actually is, because there was no censorship whatsoever in the example you cited.

Some people responded to an advertisement by expressing their freedom of speech, and based on their arguments, those who issued the advertisement rethought it and took it down.

No censorship at all. You're literally complaining that people expressed their opinions, because you disagree with them. You wanting them to be silenced, that is censorship..
    They took it down because they are growing increasingly -afraid- of offending people because they know that these lunatics that are so fragile and thin-skinned can cause a significant amount of damage with their screaming and fit throwing.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    There's a difference between asking, and getting a bunch of people to send letters, and getting someone fired because you didn't like what they said.
    Freedom of speech is great until you realize it's also freedom to criticize others, isn't it? There is no "political correctness gang" running around putting guns to administrators' heads. If people are getting fired because of a letter writing campaign, then it's not the fault of the people who wrote the letters. That responsibility lies solely with the person being fired and the people in charge of them being fired.

The basic problem I've found with almost anyone who claims political correctness has "Gone Too Far!" is they seem to not be able to take criticism of their words and actions. There is no law enforcing some nebulous definition of "political correctness". There is nobody holding a gun to someone's head and forcing them to be "politically correct". All there is is people speaking out against things that they find offensive -- i.e., exercising freedom of speech.

And yes, you're doing that by claiming political correctness has "Gone Too Far!", which is fine. But that doesn't mean I have to agree with you or not criticize your beliefs or actions.

I'm going to dictate to you what you should think, and how you should speak. If you don't obey my ways, I will label you a pariah, and attack you with words that are just as mean as they ones I deem inappropriate.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

7+ Year Old Account
    Actually, to be honest, a large majority of people are likely fine and not -trying- to be a dick.

However, again, the issue is what if they make a harmless joke? Suddenly they just committed murder or something in the eyes of an overly PC person. Who determines what is harmless and what is "hate"? People apply broad strokes swiftly.

Sticks and stones. What ever happened to that?
    It's no use, PC is like a cult, and these people drank the kool-aid. You're either with them or you're hitler.

10+ Year Old Account
    PC is just breeding resentment. It served no purpose and is actually causing more problems. It's kind of like the flaw of having good intentions...
    In extreme circles, you're right. They're very much not the norm and taking X-men examples like the ones you've posted, that were bred from websites like Tumblr isn't a great example because the movie is still out, the advertisement is still there if you want to look at it and Tumblr wins a hallow victory in the end. No drastic consequences came of it.

I guess my main point is I'm pretty left, and hang with left social circles and have experienced from time to time people being rude to me for what you would call "PC" reasons but it doesn't phase me because that's just some extreme wacko I don't want to associate with and so I stop. Boom, problem solved

10+ Year Old Account

No censorship at all. You're literally complaining that people expressed their opinions, because you disagree with them. You wanting them to be silenced, that is censorship.

You're free to express yourself in politically incorrect ways. And everyone else is free to express how much they dislike what you said and you for saying it.

That's what freedom of speech looks like.

- - - Updated - - -

When they're fantasies that people are inventing without any basis in reality, yes, I'm going to wave those off.
    But you do not have the right to control my speech which is what PC is turning into.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
    It's no use, PC is like a cult, and these people drank the kool-aid. You're either with them or you're hitler.
    Can i be Stalin instead? He looks funny.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

What "point"?

Political correctness is choosing not to be deliberately offensive to people.

Choosing to BE deliberately offensive is being a dick.

This isn't rocket surgery.
    Uh, I think the problem is people are making stuff out to be non-PC when its really a non-issue. The result is PC is running rampant and applying to things they probably shouldn't.

I won't argue that people not being dicks is a good thing. I agree. The problem is in society today if I say I don't care for your red shoes someone is going to make a PC issue out of it, somehow.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    You're not making the least bit of sense. Nobody needs to objectively declare whether or not a particular statement is offensive or not, in the first place.

Some things pretty blatantly are, but not because some third party declared them to be, but because the intent of the statement was to demean and belittle.
    So it goes by intent of the user? So who determines what someones intent was?

What if the person informs you that was not their intent?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    Your notion of PC is not its practice in socal circumstances.
    Then what is the definition of being PC?

except that what you described isn't censorship, with a side note being that you don't get to decide what other people find offensive, nor do you get to decide what a company decides is worth it (or not) to continue with a campaign in the face of a negative public reaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    They took it down because they are growing increasingly -afraid- of offending people because they know that these lunatics that are so fragile and thin-skinned can cause a significant amount of damage with their screaming and fit throwing.
    Yeah, I'll believe Fox's statements on why they took it down over the kind of ridiculous hyperbole you're expressing here. You're literally inventing your own fiction, here.

Not even Fox agrees with you as to why Fox took down the ad.

Business growing increasingly afraid of people voting with their wallets, thus losing profits? Blame the business for caring about profits so much then. Otherwise they wouldn't cave in to peoples concerns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
    Yeah pretty much.

Endus has his view of PC and doesn't seem to understand that PC has been becoming a problem. I guess he can feel that way until he accidentally offends the wrong person and have the PC group he so cherishes turn on him like a pack of hungry wolves.
    Last edited by BuckSparkles; 2016-08-29 at 05:40 PM.