Page 34 of 68 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    It also seems to be the same people who demand that other people show the national anthem respect because its a "symbol" of the US while they show a complete lack of respect to the president of the United States.
    This makes zero sense. The elected officials of the country are not above reproach or criticism, in fact that's part and parcel of their position and a requirement of it, especially when they deviate from the base nature of the country to such an extent that their policies or viewpoints can't be see as synonymous with the country. This applies to any President or representative elected or otherwise.

The Anthem, the Founding Documents and the rest of the early icons of America all represent something far more wholesome and pristine than any politician can ever embody, and thus will always generate much more respect and admiration in kind.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Anyone else think that this Anthem Protest is the most Politically Incorrect thing done all year? Colin went straight at the politically correct taboo around public acts of patriotism and faces a buzz saw of negative press for it. Every gold star family and veteran group is coming for him hard because he stepping out of line. I respect Colin's bravery in standing up to such radical political correctness (even though I am neutral on what he actually said).

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    So his protest was basically a litmus test for American nationalism?

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    This is a silent action. If it wasnt for the news reporting it, I and others would not have known. This is the equivalent of people who post shit links and things on social media yet do nothing else to get involved. As a "popular" player, he has an opportunity and power to actually do something to help the cause. Instead he would rather sit in the corner pout and hope someone else does it for him.

THAT is why I dont like what he is doing.
    except he's not that "popular" player any more. He's exremely in danger of getting cut...because of his on the field play. And even before this, he lost the respect of his team and especially o-line.

To make matters worse, at this point he's likely going to be the 3rd string qb. And realistically, no team is going to keep someone with a $12mil salary to ride the bench, especially as a 3rd qb on the roster, he isn't even eligible to play in a game.

And now this happens, which makes him a distraction. Further, if he gets cut, which is likely, then a team that picks him up has to pick up said $12mil comtract. So unless a team is seriously desperate, he becomes unhireable.

Thus the end result is no platform, no popularity, and as thus, he just becomes a waste of talent.

If he really wanted to make a difference, there are and were much better options.
    Last edited by anyaka21; 2016-08-29 at 11:30 PM.

The guy is so dumb, he doesn't realize that by him doing it, it just over shadows his cause, because the focus is on him. That being said, I guess we will see if him sitting on his ass, literally, solves the problems in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    except he's not that "popular" player any more. He's exremely in danger of getting cut...because of his on the field play. And even before this, he lost the respect of his team and especially o-line.

To make matters worse, at this point he's likely going to be the 3rd string qb. And realistically, no team is going to keep someone with a $12mil salary to ride the bench, especially as a 3rd qb on the roster, he isn't even eligible to play in a game.

And now this happens, which makes him a distraction. Further, if he gets cut, which is likely, then a team that picks him up has to pick up said $12mil comtract. So unless a team is seriously desperate, he becomes unhireable.

Thus the end result is no platform, no popularity, and as thus, he just becomes a waste of talent.

If he really wanted to make a difference, there are and were much better options.
    Yeah, him and Michael Sam can hang out together and bitch about oppression after he's cut. He's been terrible for a little bit now and is becoming more toxic by the day so watch that plug get pulled fast.

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color, but I am gonna sit down and continue to take the millions that it gives me."
    It's ridiculous on both fronts, dude can sit or he can stand it's just a flag ffs, and again highlighting how laughable some celebrity/athlete activism is.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    The Presidency is a symbol of the US as well.
    Sure it is, the office and the role are but not the person occupying it unless they themselves warrant such respect through their actions and efforts on behalf of the nation. We’ve had loads of empty suit Presidents in our time and their wavering and waffling has tended to cause problems both at home and abroad. We haven’t had a noteworthy President since Kennedy and even he had his faults. The whole lot of them since have been clowns and in those before him there are a few bright spots but mostly moneyed Yes men doing what moneyed interests want.

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    And you're assuming something that is not supported by what happened. He didn't come out with a sign. He sat down. He wasn't going to hide and not tell people what he was doing, but he wasn't going to bring attention to it other than sitting in his chair.
    Ahem:

Here’s what he told NFL.com’s Steve Wyche:

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

You're cute. Try again.
    I think I've had enough of removing avatars today that feature girls covered in semen. Closing.
    -Darsithis

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaide View Post
    Ahem:

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

You're cute. Try again.
    So logically he should move then.

I'm a white American and I find it hilarious that a lot of white Americans are offended by Kaepernick's action saying it "disrespects the troops", and yet 40% of white Americans support a presidential candidate who said John McCain wasn't a hero because he got captured, and that POW's in general aren't heroes. Oh and he also draft dodged Vietnam 4 times.

Its the epitome of hypocrisy.

Someone need to him that we inherited slavery from our colonial days and that it has been abolished for 151 years.

Quote Originally Posted by mopkins View Post
    I'm a white American and I find it hilarious that a lot of white Americans are offended by Kaepernick's action saying it "disrespects the troops", and yet 40% of white Americans support a presidential candidate who said John McCain wasn't a hero because he got captured, and that POW's in general aren't heroes. Oh and he also draft dodged Vietnam 4 times.

Its the epitome of hypocrisy.
    Can someone call both things unpatriotic?

Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    Can someone call both things unpatriotic?
    Absolutely. I don't agree with what Kaepernick's doing, but in the end I don't really care, its his right and its also the right of the public to judge him accordingly.

Guess my point is that a lot of people "outraged" by Kaepernick support a presidential candidate who has disrespected the troops in a lot worse ways.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mopkins View Post
    Absolutely. I don't agree with what Kaepernick's doing, but in the end I don't really care, its his right and its also the right of the public to judge him accordingly.

Guess my point is that a lot of people "outraged" by Kaepernick support a presidential candidate who has disrespected the troops in a lot worse ways.
    I think supporting Clinton would show great disrespect as well, as she's more thirsty for war than Trump is. She actually would get them killed over shit like "toppling Assad," so I don't really see why Trump is the one being mentioned.

In the end, the US contains many individuals who cannot admit failing to know something. A huge portion of those polled would bomb a random country because it sounded Islamic. That should show quite a bit about the perceptions and priorities of the average American. The failure of the democratic process is that the elected leaders are not those who would truly make the best decisions, but instead those who have won a popularity contest from the low-IQ.

who knew sitting through a song during a fucking sporting event has people so damn salty. I mean it's not like the NFL doesn't get millions of dollars from the department of defense so anything short of a full salute to the flag is seen with utter contempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mowgli View Post
    I don't believe you know what ironic means.
    The real irony is people throwing a fit, which ends up strengthening this "protest".
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's only disrespectful to the country itself, and the reason he clearly described; that country's failures to address issues with systemic racism. Which is certainly reason to choose to not show respect to that country, in protest.

The only people such a peaceful protest could "push away" are blind nationalists who would never be convinced by any argument or evidence against their nation in the first place.
    First, he was raised by a rather well off white family....what does he know about true oppression? Second, the US is one of the few places he could get away with something like this....and to act as if racial tensions here are drastically worse then the majority of the world is fucking pathetic. He's a shit QB anyway, outside of a few games in one season, and this is coming just in time to save his ass from getting cut when they reduce rosters this week. Glad Chip Kelly left my eagles to go deal with this BS. Malcolm Jenkins is showing the true way to make change: actually meeting with the Philly law enforcement and going over ways to fix the disconnect and issues with the disenfranchised. If Kap really wanted to invoke change he would do more then sit during the anthem and bitch on social media....but then again that's all his generation does.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaide View Post
    Ahem:

You're cute. Try again.
    I'm glad you can't read what I wrote. Allow me to clarify. Where does it show that he wanted attention for his action? Just because he chooses to not support something doesn't mean he wants attention for it. If I walk past a gay bashing parade and choose to not partake, does that mean I'm looking for attention? No. So shut the fuck up until you can make a coherent argument .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    He didn't say he was oppressed. He said black people are. But way to beat the shit out of that strawman.