Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkiah View Post
    well i tried to make sure i didn't veer into no true scotsman territory, so thank you for doing that so completely that i don't have to worry about it.

not to drag this into a political discussion this subject is really more about culture than politics, but how is what you just said any different from the platform of the right?

no. no it isn't. and it's only buying into the completely bugfuck insane mentality of "christian oppression" that you could ever possibly think so.
    a group of people who are systematically beaten, tortured, murdered, and enslaved for 300 years who then get begrudgingly recognized as people, who then spend the next 150 years either being lynched, economically opposed, socially and legally and culturally discriminated against, before sort of maybe being more or less equally recognized under the law in the last 20 years are not equivalent to your woe at not being able to call those people uppity niggers without having someone give you the stank eye, no matter how much you think those two scenarios are identical.

no what we have a segment of the population going "hey maybe we shouldn't be giant flaming buckets of dog shit to each other" and then another segment going "you hippie commie liberal SJW feminazi pussy!" and then looking for a forum that doesn't have enough threads of right wing SJWs whining about how oppressed they are so they can spam that forum with posts about how awful it is being an affluent white straight man.

- - - Updated - - -

so basically what you're saying is that the PC Crowd exists in the one place we've always known it does - inside your head, and not anywhere else.
    Culture has been turned into politics, the Democrats just have a much longer history of doing so than Republicans and a much stronger emphasis on it, especially in the last 15-20 years. It'd be appropriate to say that there are a large number of Democrat politicians and bureaucrats who owe their entire existence to social/cultural issues whereas you'd be lucky to find half a dozen at the most Republicans who'd fit the same criteria. They're far more reactive to social issues whereas Democrats are proactive.

I digress in a certain way because talking about the Establishment is essentially talking about neither wing, right or left. The difference in grassroots right and left is small but nuanced and of course highly based on cultural values and traditions.

Yes, yes it is.

Protip: Every single ethnicity in the world has been enslaved at one point or another, moreover some of them more or less still are in this modern age.

That you think the consideration comes down to whether or not people can call each other names is pretty amusing. That's not even in the appendix of concerns, let alone the main table of contents. That you also are acting as though supposed oppressed people don't actively engage in the very same shit they accuse others of doing to them and also hold as a matter of chronic victimization is a joke. The scenarios don't have to be identical for this to be valid, each are valid in their own way and through their own circumstances.

Look at you, so concerned about those internet forum warriors, so easily dismissing anything but that as though forum trolls and gladiators make up the entirety of human interaction and experience. You should get out more, experience more of that diversity everyone loves to talk about. You'll learn there are giant buckets of shit in every race, and some moreso than others depending on where you live.

Even though it wasn't addressed at me I'll answer your last bit. The PC Crowd definitely exists, we see them on college campuses and other halls of education, in media whether legacy or new era internet media, we see them when we go just about everywhere. You can choose to deny that all you like, doesn't make it not so.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    If only @Tennisace was not bannassinated! Tenn would explain this!
    I mean I can probably count on my hands when BadmintonPro is NOT banned rather than banned.

Deleted
    “The notion of political correctness has ignited controversy across the land. And although the movement arises from the laudable desire to sweep away the debris of racism and sexism and hatred, it replaces old prejudice with new ones. It declares certain topics off-limits, certain expressions off-limits.”

Which is the main problem with the intellectually-bankrupt left. They basically use the same procedures they claim to fight against, give them new names and everyone who dares speak against is automatically X (racist, bigot, mysoginist, homophobe) or a conspiracy theorist because the issue he speaks against (if it originated from the left) obviously doesn't exist.

It's basically a Huxleyian Nightmare in its early stages. Just shows that indoctrination and mob-mentality intoxication will always work on the masses. You just need a boogyman and the wheel will keep spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    All "political correctness" is, is "deciding not to be a dick to people". That's it.

I really don't see how being pro-dickery is a defensible stance. Sure, you're "saying what you want", but that just means you're being a dick to people. I don't see why anyone should be proud of that.
    In the process political correctness advocates censorship and hiding truths because they may not be "nice to hear".

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This thread

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Having read the whole thread, i can comfortably say Endus is a Troll extraordinaire

If you got fired for making a sexually inappropriate joke about dongles, it isn't because someone else overheard you and "got you fired", it's because you made a sexually inappropriate joke and deserved to get fired for it.

Maybe try not breaking company policy next time? And taking some responsibility for your own behaviour?
    Policy? But what if there is no such policy, because, you know:
    Most US States are right-to-work states. Your boss can fire you for wearing shoes today, in an office job. You've got this backwards.
    and you can get fired over it only for the employer to avoid backlash. I know, I know, you'll most likely say something about their freedom of association since it's your primary defense of such nonsense, but it will still be you moving goalposts. Then again, people making sexually inappropriate jokes among friends is something that deserves being fired, Endus said so so it must be objective truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    All "political correctness" is, is "deciding not to be a dick to people". That's it.

I really don't see how being pro-dickery is a defensible stance. Sure, you're "saying what you want", but that just means you're being a dick to people. I don't see why anyone should be proud of that.
    Bollocks. You can say something that will offend someone and you don't even have to be a dick about it. It's not hard for people to butt clench over something they don't agree with. Political correctness is saying stupid things like "happy holidays" because it "might" offend minorities, rather than saying "Merry Christmas". And quite frankly, out of all the people of different cultures that I know and work with, ZERO are offended by things like "Merry Christmas" or even the notions of Christian traditions, and that includes Muslims. This whole notion that we shouldn't say something that is common and has been established as a social norm for hundreds of years or more, will somehow offend the majority of minorities, is absolutely foolish. The only real PC people these days are who actually get offended by something are the kinds of people who get offended for others. This whole notion that outside of flat out racism and hatred towards minorities, that anything else we say or do will offend them, is absurd.

"If political correctness has achieved one thing, it's to make the Conservative Party cloak its inherent racism behind more creative language." - Stuart Lee
    “Political correctness is what right-wing bigots call what everybody else calls being polite” - Iain M. Banks

Personally I find it impossible to read people's complaints about Political Correctness without imagining some middle-aged, middle-class, little-Englander harumphing over their Daily Mail because their favourite words for brown people are now frowned upon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    Awareness of the identifying particulars of their segment of humanity, acceptance and acknowledgement of the veracity of it and oftentimes willingness to both support and advance it through your own efforts, though this last bit here is more typical of ideologues than most general PC people, thankfully. It still makes you subject to either being an oppressive neanderthal for not accepting and acknowledging their veracity or just a blanket ignorant for not being up to speed with the random identifiers and criteria by which these people choose to be known by and demand that others act in accordance with around them.

Altogether pretty stupid, as most people aren't interested in getting that indepth with most random people they only barely or casually know. If they're someone you regularly spend time with in any formal or informal setting it's one thing, but anymore these type of antics are popping up at the grocery store, mall or any other place where your time of interaction is a few minutes at best or you frankly just don't accept in theory or practice whatever it is they're about and then que the perjoratives.

In general you can treat people quite nicely with just treating them as a human being alone and we see too many examples far too regularly of 'gotcha' moments where these PC people get upset because they're not singled out and praised and accepted for that particular thing they are and really it's bullshit.
    The irony is, if you are a decent person, you don't need to learn any "indepth" things. You can just use your common sense to know when saying something is appropriate and when not.

It is people who can't help being jerks that have problems with PC. But, again, who cares about their desires... If you want to be a jerk, expect to hear, "You are a jerk", and don't complain about it. It's pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    So I have several issues with your overall argument, but for the sake of avoiding circularity I'll just say this: whether society steps in should always depend on the intent of the speaker or action, rather than the feelings of whatever random person decided something was offensive that day. No, intent is not always clear, but grey areas should always favor freedom of expression over oppressive moral policing.
    "Grey areas" are what these discussions should be about in the first place. Instead, people ask for complete freedom, even freedom of hate speech - and not even only legal freedom, they also want the society to be accepting of hate speech! When it is not, they say, "PC has gone too far".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    They took it down because they are growing increasingly -afraid- of offending people because they know that these lunatics that are so fragile and thin-skinned can cause a significant amount of damage with their screaming and fit throwing.
    There's equally fragile and thin-skinned people who can cause an equal amount of damage screaming and throwing a fit over "censorship" when someone does something perceived as PC, so really it balances out and companies can do what they think is right.

If you got fired for making a sexually inappropriate joke about dongles, it isn't because someone else overheard you and "got you fired", it's because you made a sexually inappropriate joke and deserved to get fired for it.

Maybe try not breaking company policy next time? And taking some responsibility for your own behaviour?

If someone reported me for taking my lunch break at my scheduled time, my bosses wouldn't fire me, because my actions aren't against company policy. If you get fired for breaking policy, the fault is yours, not the person who pointed it out to your employer.
    It is absolutely insane that someone might get fired for a simple dongle joke. /golfclap for someone who advocates that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    There's equally fragile and thin-skinned people who can cause an equal amount of damage screaming and throwing a fit over "censorship" when someone does something perceived as PC, so really it balances out and companies can do what they think is right.
    Is it what they think is right, or because they want to avoid a lawsuit, etc?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    It is absolutely insane that someone might get fired for a simple dongle joke. /golfclap for someone who advocates that.
    Private companies have their own policies. You don't have to apply to a job in a company which policies you do not approve of.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Private companies have their own policies. You don't have to apply to a job in a company which policies you do not approve of.
    Doesn't at all address what I wrote. As always.

The irony is, if you are a decent person, you don't need to learn any "indepth" things. You can just use your common sense to know when saying something is appropriate and when not.

It is people who can't help being jerks that have problems with PC. But, again, who cares about their desires... If you want to be a jerk, expect to hear, "You are a jerk", and don't complain about it. It's pretty simple.

"Grey areas" are what these discussions should be about in the first place. Instead, people ask for complete freedom, even freedom of hate speech - and not even only legal freedom, they also want the society to be accepting of hate speech! When it is not, they say, "PC has gone too far".
    That's more or less what I was saying with addressing people as human beings alone, however there are a great many especially in this day and age that act as though a failure to acknowledge their particular identifier or give it some kudos or the like is being an ignorant, intolerant hate filled X.

Your second paragraph is also pretty short sighted, as there are many people who aren't jerks who still have problems with PC, as I said all the jumping through hoops, acknowledgement and disclaimers bs that goes on is pretty much extraneous burdens on regular people who are decent and don't have a bone to pick with people even if they don't necessarily agree with that persons' choices in life.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

I think the idea is, that what you consider "hate speech" many other people may consider a joke. For example, if a black comedian says something like "white people suck" that doesn't mean he really hates all white people lol. Of course, in this example, left wingers wouldn't have an issue, I'm sure you can guess why.

Or the company has no such policy but fires you anyway because negative press is not something a company wants and at-will employment is a thing.
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

"Common sense" is not common. What common sense however is, is a fallacy. And we live in the age when pronouns are offensive. And before dugraka mentions zhe or xir again, just using he or she can be offensive to transgender people even if they are pre transition and you have no way of knowing they are trans. I wonder how your common sense avoids that. Especially since some people can get offended at gender neutral pronouns like singular they.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    No no, clearly two friends making a joke to each other at a conference and some random bitch overhearing them and getting upset was against the company policy.
    Reported for sexism :3 Also, did you assume its gender?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    That response makes me want to vomit a little. Do you actually lack this much humanity? Or are you just being cheeky?
    He's just being his impartial and neutral self.

What "point"?

Political correctness is choosing not to be deliberately offensive to people.

Choosing to BE deliberately offensive is being a dick.

This isn't rocket surgery.
    Anyone can find anything to be offensive... are you going to adhere to everyone? That's just retarded... You'd be a complete hypocrite to consider one person's finding of something offensive and another person's finding of something offensive to be laughable, but that's where we're at right now.

The world should go back to growing a thicker skin instead of making a generation of fucking emos.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2016-08-30 at 12:39 AM.