Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    The whole team? They are not a democracy. There's always a person in charge.
    Additionally, we know from a few dev interviews, that the entire team is not on board with the no-flying decision, and that it was a hotly debated move.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dominus89 View Post
    How is this thread still going?...

...get a hobby.
    My hobby is videogames. I like discussing them. I like seeing how they're designed and implemented. I like talking about the business ethics of them.

That's how this thread is still going. People talking about something like like and enjoy.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2016-09-04 at 10:49 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Additionally, we know from a few dev interviews, that the entire time is not on board with the no-flying decision, and that it was a hotly debated move.
    Yeah and from the video interview in which they backpedaled on the flight removal they named Watcher to be the guy in charge of the whole "flying thing". A single person.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Ula View Post
    I'm enjoying the zones without flight, especially the world quests.

Suramar would also be destroyed as an end game story driven questing zone with flight. Though you could argue to only disable flight here.
    i hate them navigating around searching for a mob and realizing he is down on the other side of a mountain is fucking pain in the ass, also is just my impression or blizzard have reduced the number of flight path compared to wod?
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

No flying is definatley a problem.

WoD showed that no flying for nearly half an expansion didnt do the game any favors in the long term, frankly, I hope by 7.2 they add the final part of the flying and just get on with it.

The issue here is not that flying is a problem, flying was -never- the problem, the issue is that blizzard lacks imagination with the ability to use flying in a gated way.

For example:

Lets say they added flying at launch, maybe, they could have done this for all the leveling content, however, when reaching Suremar, a magical series of arcane towers will automatically shoot you down if you fly near it or into it.

This, forces people to the ground during this content, allowing blizzard to focus on giving them progression that will eventually lead to letting people -fly- in Suremar again.

Honestly, theres -no- real reason to deny people flying, other than some artificial rubbish about lengthening the game and making it seem bigger from below.

It doesnt work, because honestly, if you've seen Broken Isles as a whole, you'd realize one trip to the top of Highmountain and its a pretty small place compared to Draenor presently.

At most, you're simply being stubborn, at worst, you're attempting to deny people access to end game by complaining it takes too little time to reach it.

To which I say, good, the shorter the better, leveling is a boring process and highly dated to the point its stagnant.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    No it isn't.

ar·bi·trar·y
    adjective
    based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.

We are saying that the developers had their reasons. That eliminates arbitrary from the discussion.
    And those hundreds of pages have demonstrated that the "reason" developers was "Mah visions!" which equals "I want it because I want it". Which is, guess it. Arbritrary.

Unless you believe the many many lies they told about their decision all this time. But in that case, the problem lies with you, not me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I think a more appropriate term would be: Unilateral.
    Questionable, as we, the players, aren´t directly involved with the decision-making process.

But ingoring all the feedback that was given, on the other hand... perhaps you are right. I am Unsure right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    I'm partway through one zone's quest and I already miss flight.
    Very true.

Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    i hate them navigating around searching for a mob and realizing he is down on the other side of a mountain is fucking pain in the ass, also is just my impression or blizzard have reduced the number of flight path compared to wod?
    Reduced? you have got to be kidding.
    There are so many flightpaths in legion for the size of the zone. Flightpaths to within 30 seconds of every world quest barring a few

Quote Originally Posted by Connll View Post
    And those hundreds of pages have demonstrated that the "reason" developers was "Mah visions!" which equals "I want it because I want it". Which is, guess it. Arbritrary.

Unless you believe the many many lies they told about their decision all this time. But in that case, the problem lies with you, not me.
    With this logic any decision blizzard makes is going to be arbitrary to you.
    "Ignoring our reasons and internal discussion, we instead have arbitrarily increased all mob health by 5."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Very true.
    Have you actually played the game or doyou just "+1" posts that you have a the same thoughts on
    Last edited by wing5wong; 2016-09-05 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Connll View Post
    So they changed it because they wanted it.

Thats THE working definition for arbitrary.
    This.

And it wasn't artistic licensing either.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a very selective dictionary reading you got right there.

If we go with it answer this:
    If the reason is a personal whim - is it arbitrary?

Or we can read the complete definitionS here: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/arbitrary
    Thank you.

An arbitrary decision that isn't based on logic or artistic license.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ible View Post
    Kind of like all the DDOS suspicions, when it's more likely that it's blizz servers just not coping all the players in an alpha release. Blizz is all in favor of anyone else being blamed, and for one person to be blamed instead of the entire company is a golden scenario for them. We have taught them well.

"adds rep to SirCowDog" Nice sig.
    I don't buy into conspiracy theories. DDoS is reall, but I think Blizzard fails to acknowledge that providers are vulnerable. Then again Blizzard isn't in control of what the providers can do to handle a DDoS attack. Can't blame Blizzard for that.
    Last edited by Mafic; 2016-09-05 at 01:17 AM.

I'm sure some people aren't bothered by no flying, either because they like no flying or they have a lot of free time and don't care either way. I just have a problem when people who aren't bothered by it refuse to believe or understand that other people are legitimately bothered by it.

Yeah and from the video interview in which they backpedaled on the flight removal they named Watcher to be the guy in charge of the whole "flying thing". A single person.
    Watcher is a former moderator of elistist jerks and former member of the guild. Basically, Watcher is on the theory crafting and raiding spectrum and all the changes in WoD pointed to making raiders life easier. Legion is more of the same and world content and travel will continue to suffer as long as Watcher has draconian ideas of what WoW should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Watcher is a former moderator of elistist jerks and former member of the guild. Basically, Watcher is on the theory crafting and raiding spectrum and all the changes in WoD pointed to making raiders life easier. Legion is more of the same and world content and travel will continue to suffer as long as Watcher has draconian ideas of what WoW should be.
    Get used to it. He was promoted to assistant game director. I imagine he'll be game director once Chilton decides to move on or get involved with another IP. Nonetheless they make decisions as a team. Which leads to other problems. Design by committee is usually watered-down by bureaucracy.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I'm not sure Legion is making high end raider's lives easier considering how much grinding is necessary to get as much artifact power as possible and also the LOLRNG legendaries. Legion seems to be all about making as many people as possible, regardless of their in game interests, waste lots and lots and lots of time.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Get used to it. He was promoted to assistant game director. I imagine he'll be game director once Chilton decides to move on or get involved with another IP.
    He will not last long, because if two expansion that are raid or die flop he will be replaced.

Legion is more raid or die than WoD and actually forces now even PVP players to do raiding to stay competitive.

And for full disclosure, Watcher's main character (eg Shaman) never earned the WoD flying achieve. So, it will take another uprising from the players and other devs to force his hand to capitulate once more on the issue of flight in Legion

you make no sense. raiders want flying so they can skip the content and get to raid/ilvl faster.
    Most raiders do not care about flying and actually many did not do the WoD flying achieve. MoP was different as progression for raiders were gated by dailies, so that is why there was that uproar and it was the last time flight was open to the world at the start of the expansion.

Furthermore, Legion tries to alleviate the loss of flight with a flight whistle, but most raiders do not care about crappy gear form order halls or world missions as RNG titanforge is better via heroics or mythics.

The gear from world and PVP were recently nerfed before Legion launched thus nullifying them as a source to build up for raiding which opens up later. World gear is still good with some RNG but not as good as it was in beta.

So, instanced play is still the best to gear up for raids and will continue to be so. Flying is not necessary beyond the first few months till raiding is unlocked as instanced play is where the gearing is at and where it matters and will continue to matter in the future.

Raiders will feel like they have to do world quests for artifact power.

Well, I agree with Mafic that no flying is not fun. I just disagree that current game design is all about making life easier for high end raiders. There is plenty in Legion to waste the time of competitive raiders who want to min max their character.

Suramar questing, especially within the city, would have been an absolute joke if flying was enabled. I'm glad blizzard is not listening to the pro flying circle jerks.

Quote Originally Posted by brutal91j View Post
    i agree that flying shouldn't be in till a certain amount of time

i love seeing other players constantly and that's including the opposite faction, it is 100% more immersive

flying will come
    That isn't because of no flying. CRZ makes the game look busier than it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Shnider: You = Another anti-flyer who simply ignores everything being said on the subject. By the time flying should be activated you have already done all the content!

The problem is how it plays out. If locked behind gated content at launch, nerds would rush for it and casuals would complain. Just like casuals are now complaining on a completely irrelevant noobifact just waiting to be replaced by a green weapon. This game is beyond you to fathom.

Below is just one of many examples of what a poor route blizz is on. Whoever still like legion in a month -.-
    I'm having a grand Ole time and it looks like I will have stuff to do for plenty of months to come.

Something something, opinion, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Are you a 14 year old rebel wearing a Che Guevara shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by snackfeat View Post
    Suramar questing, especially within the city, would have been an absolute joke if flying was enabled. I'm glad blizzard is not listening to the pro flying circle jerks.
    Hate to tell you but most players want flyng. No fly zones are a thing too. Running through mobs with the anti dismount item isn't immersion. It just adds up to gear repairs when mobs beat on you as you ride past. That's not immersion.

The only reason flying is disabled is to make the tiny BI zones feel bigger. They're nothing compared to the everything pre-WoD. It's a content gate designed to slow players down - nothing more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    I'm having a grand Ole time and it looks like I will have stuff to do for plenty of months to come.

Something something, opinion, man.
    Only because the zones are a fraction of the size now. You actually got less content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.