Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Oh, snap!

I think that I should feel bad for enjoying this schadenfreunde, but them I remembered the smug faces of Ion and Bashiok (its was them, were they?) in the interviews.
    Last edited by Connll; 2016-09-06 at 02:47 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbug View Post
    1: So it actually increases your time "playing the game", traveling counts as playing as well. Isnt "porting to dungeons via grpfinder" enough already? Im so glad that doesnt work for mythics...
    2: see 1
    3: No they are not, they are clearly designed for non flying, you have specific "roads" up, around and even through hills and so on, as well as the grappling hook locations and many other stuff.
    4: The playerbase has vastly increased with Legion...
    5: see 4
    6: Oh boy...
    Travelling to a dungeon is not the same as travelling to a short quest if you look at the ratio of travelling time and time spending with the dungeon / quest. Travelling 2 minutes to a dungeon and then spending 30 minutes in this dungeon is very much different compared to travelling 2 minutes to a quest, finishing this quest in 1 minute, then travelling another 2 minutes to the next quest (if you are not lucky to have an interesting quest nearby) etc.

This is the ultimate difference between travelling while leveling, or doing leveling quests for the first time - because you are new in the area and explore - and re-visiting areas later for endgame content, where you just repeat things for the sake of the GRIND!!!!

In the first case - leveling - nobody is demanding flight. It's OK to stay on the ground while leveling. It's how it always have been except in Cata. In the second case though, flight is very beneficial to improve the ratio of travel time to usefully spent time. Because repeating paths you have already travelled multiple times before has no value anymore. (If you would be interested in the scenery, you would go there without any quests.)

For the life of me, I don't know why all of you love circular arguments. You argue the the same points and counter points over and over.
    This seems to be blizzards path going forward. The people who want flying enabled at the start need to learn to deal with it. The people who are anti-flying need to quit being so smug. It is what it is at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow I had hope for this expansion. I figured sub numbers fell low enough that Blizzard would actually start putting resources into the game again.

The juice is loose

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    Travelling to a dungeon is not the same as travelling to a short quest if you look at the ratio of travelling time and time spending with the dungeon / quest. Travelling 2 minutes to a dungeon and then spending 30 minutes in this dungeon is very much different compared to travelling 2 minutes to a quest, finishing this quest in 1 minute, then travelling another 2 minutes to the next quest (if you are not lucky to have an interesting quest nearby) etc.

This is the ultimate difference between travelling while leveling, or doing leveling quests for the first time - because you are new in the area and explore - and re-visiting areas later for endgame content, where you just repeat things for the sake of the GRIND!!!!

In the first case - leveling - nobody is demanding flight. It's OK to stay on the ground while leveling. It's how it always have been except in Cata. In the second case though, flight is very beneficial to improve the ratio of travel time to usefully spent time. Because repeating paths you have already travelled multiple times before has no value anymore. (If you would be interested in the scenery, you would go there without any quests.)
    This.

In Lineage 1, Everquest, or Lineage 2 there was a lot of travel but the pay off was huge in return. Going to Giants Cave wasn't easy but you picked up good XP along the way fighting to the giant spiders which dropped the samurai longsword blades needed to craft samurai longswords for the entire clan. So a clan hunting party setting out as a group to travel, gain xp, blade mats, etc was fun, and rewarding.

Legion? LOL fight scaled up mobs and might drop legendary or just ignore it as it dazes you into oblivion heading to a quest that takes 1 minute to complete but takes five minutes to travel to. LMAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    For the life of me, I don't know why all of you love circular arguments. You argue the the same points and counter points over and over.
    This seems to be blizzards path going forward. The people who want flying enabled at the start need to learn to deal with it. The people who are anti-flying need to quit being so smug. It is what it is at this point.
    I'm fine with flying in X.1, but not in X.2.Y

Most (reasonable) people don't want flying while leveling.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks for the free bump.

The community is not going to accept mediocrity, cutting corners, or illusive and vague statement for the release of flight. Round 2 is only starting up.

Let the games begin ladies and gentlemen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Connll View Post
    Oh, snap!

I think that I should feel bad for enjoying this schadenfreunde, but them I remembered the smug faces of Ion and Bashiok (its was them, were they?) in the interviews.
    Notice how a lot of anti flyers are gone from Blizz for the most part with AA and Ion remaining?

Notice how a lot of anti flyers are gone from Blizz for the most part with AA and Ion remaining?
    I am not familiar with the WoW dev team composition. Care to elaborate?

Thanks for the free bump.

The community is not going to accept mediocrity, cutting corners, or illusive and vague statement for the release of flight. Round 2 is only starting up.

Let the games begin ladies and gentlemen.

- - - Updated - - -

How in the world is it cutting corners though? They chose a design path which seems like its here to stay. If anything, flight was cutting corners and blizz just remedied that mistake.

How in the world is it cutting corners though? They chose a design path which seems like its here to stay. If anything, flight was cutting corners and blizz just remedied that mistake.
    Refusing to make flight relevant is where the corner was cut.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    1: No flying increases the ratio of time spent handing in quests and getting more and reduces the ratio of time actually spent playing the game.
    2: No flying increases the ratio of time spent travelling and reduces the ratio of time actually spent playing the game.
    Traveling is part of the game, the World is as important as the Warcraft, otherwise they could just give you a target dummy that dispenses rewards as you attack it.

3: The zones are designed for flight and so horrid to navigate via ground.
    Definitely not, Cata had zones designed for flight, other expansions had sections designed for flight, but WoD and Legion have both been designed to be tackled from the ground.

4: No flying has reduced the amount of players buying Legion as many started playing other MMOs during the year+ drought and don't want to give up flying.

5: No flying has reduced the amount of players buying Legion as after the WoD disaster many simply won't bother buying it until flight is fixed.
    Perhaps, but the same can be said for every minor or major change to the game since Vanilla.

6: Due to level scaling mobs are now harder to pass without flying as they will agro and dismount you.
    Avoiding mobs or dealing with the consequences when you fail is part of the game.

There are dozens more, it's been well documented why flying makes the game better and why no flying hurts it.
    It's well documented why some people like flying and dislike not-flying, saying that one makes the game "better" and the other "hurts" the game is just you pretending your opinions are facts.

Oh so many people feeling like they are entitled to flying in WoW.

Lets look at the history of flying in WoW by expansion.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vanilla - NO FLYING! get on a taxi buddy. There goes your hard earned silver.

Burning Crusade - First you had to level to 70. Training the expert riding skill (basic flight) cost 900g. A mount was 100g on top of that (that could take weeks to earn back then). Mount speed was same speed as a normal ground mount, 60%. Epic flying mounts gave you 280% bonus to movement, for a whopping five grand in gold for the training, plus 200g for a mount.

Wrath of the Lich King - Cold Weather Flying need to fly in Northrend was available at level 77. At that point, you had quested through most of the zones Blizzard didn't want you to fly in while questing. The last two zones of the expansion, Storm Peaks and Icecrown, were created with flying adventurers in mind. Icecrown even had quest hubs set on airships hovering high over the glacier.

Cataclysm - This expansion was truely inspired by flying. After all the main Villian was a giant flying dragon. Flight Master's License could be purchased at level 60. Which pretty much meant flying right from the start of the xpac. And Cataclysm also added an even faster flying speed, at 310%, for 5000g.

Mists of Pandaria - Returned to the model of The Burning Crusade. We can't fly in Pandaria until we hit max level and purchased the Wisdom of the Four Winds for 2500g. Like in TBC, flying unlocked content previously unavailable, such as the Mogu'shan Vaults raid entrance, certain rare mobs, and the mountainous quest area for cooking dailies. Mists also brought one of the most welcome changes to mounts in the history of the game: they are now account wide.

Warlords of Draenor - According to Blizzard was always intended to not have flying. Players certainly had a lot to say on the topic. An official forum thread about the issue capped out at least ten times. The good news was that Blizzard eventually opened up flying by adding it to an achievement. The Draenor Pathfinder is a meta-achievement introduced in patch 6.2 that rewards the Soaring Skyterror mount as well as the ability to fly in Draenor on all lvl 90+ characters that then came in a slightly later minipatch. This achievement demonstrates that you've experienced many types of outdoor content in Draenor. Draenor Pathfinder is account-wide, so you can complete the following segments below on different characters!

Legion - Similar to Draenor Pathfinder, there is an achievement series in Legion to earn flying. Broken Isles Pathfinder, Part One is the first step towards earning flying in Legion. It is account-wide, so you can complete the segments on different characters!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there you have it.

They have been up front that it will take time and effort to unlock it. And having played the game since it launched and gone through the pains of the early days with no flying and then being so broke that I couldn't afford it till near the end of BC. I will say that I much prefer to experience the game as the designers intended it and then have a chance to experience it from the air later.

=V=
    Last edited by Vollus; 2016-09-06 at 03:36 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Traveling is part of the game, the World is as important as the Warcraft, otherwise they could just give you a target dummy that dispenses rewards as you attack it.
    There was an Orc i believe that said a very true sentence: times change.
    If travel would be worthwhile and not a pure timesink i would love to travel. But that case of travel being worthwhile is long gone.

Definitely not, Cata had zones designed for flight, other expansions had sections designed for flight, but WoD and Legion have both been designed to be tackled from the ground.
    Oh come on... it is wrong and.... well totally wrong to think regions are only designed for flight f there is a mechanic in place. The ONLY continents that have not been designed for flight has been vanilla Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms. Because you could not fly there an if you could, you could have seen where they did all this corner cutting with foamy 2d stage sets at every wall.

Perhaps, but the same can be said for every minor or major change to the game since Vanilla.
    Strangely we have had many droughts and minor- major changes in WoWs expansions as well we all had flight all the time. Where have been the disastrous numbers at the start of BC? Remember... the bad bad bad expansion that introduced flight which "soooo many hated". Or Wrath of the Lichking? If flight would have been soooo bad and hated like some people here lie about.... erm think why didn't it went down hill?

It is a strange coincidence that it only happen in that very expansion where they said they want to cut out flight. And although they say "the numbers are insane" i don't see any indications of that being a real number like insane. How many people are subbed right now? Insane like Cata, MoP or even WoD-release? Or are those numbers just insane because before Legion the count dropped to 1 mio. and went up by 3 mio. (so effectively quadrupled the cout)? We don't know, and if Blizzard doesn't want to share we never will. But the indicators point more to the last example.

Avoiding mobs or dealing with the consequences when you fail is part of the game.
    Yes, and if you stick to those ancient and old fashioned game mechanics you'll lose players left and right. On the other had: if most of your players would rather quit than to deal with your mechanics, it should tell you how bad people find your mechanics and how unfun they really are. But thinking of new, fun and exciting ways would be work ;-)

It's well documented why some people like flying and dislike not-flying, saying that one makes the game "better" and the other "hurts" the game is just you pretending your opinions are facts.
    Yes. Same goes for "flying is bad for the game". That is also just pretending your (unpopular) opinion as a fact, because it is also well documented.

Quote Originally Posted by Vollus View Post
    Oh so many people feeling like they are entitled to flying in WoW.

=V=
    So in other words Blizzard is entitled to player's money for the next 12 months until they put flying in the game?

A bad deal is a bad deal. A turd with a ribbon on top of it is still a turd.

Quote Originally Posted by Phumbles View Post
    It's really hilarious trying to watch pro-fliers try to come up with some kind of argument other than 'i like flying'.
    Almost as hilarious as all of the "arguments" used in favor of no flying.

So in other words Blizzard is entitled to player's money for the next 12 months until they put flying in the game?

A bad deal is a bad deal. A turd with a ribbon on top of it is still a turd.
    If your enjoyment of the game hinges on flight, unsubbing is your only current option. That's all there is to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vollus View Post
    They have been up front ...

Warlords of Draenor - According to Blizzard was always intended to not have flying.
    Especially when they told us that it would be available in 6.1 (a.k.a.first major patch), and that we wouldn't just be buying it, but would get an "epic" quest to unlock it.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    If your enjoyment of the game hinges on flight, unsubbing is your only current option. That's all there is to it.
    If you can't accept that people enjoy something that you don't, then you should stick to single player games. Am I doing it right?
    Last edited by Idoru; 2016-09-06 at 04:18 PM.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Almost as hilarious as all of the "arguments" used in favor of no flying.
    I think almost ALL of this could have been avoided if they juuuuust kept the pathfinder thing but made it achievable from the outset. Most pro flyer would be mullified, the no flyer community would still get their "experience the world without flying" experience.

The only people who would still be bitching are those that are delusional enough to believe that flying killed WPvP instead of the actual culprit, instanced PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrclyde-79 View Post
    There was an Orc i believe that said a very true sentence: times change.
    If travel would be worthwhile and not a pure timesink i would love to travel. But that case of travel being worthwhile is long gone.
    You really can't complain about anything in a video game being a timesink, especially not in a genre like WoW.

Oh come on... it is wrong and.... well totally wrong to think regions are only designed for flight f there is a mechanic in place. The ONLY continents that have not been designed for flight has been vanilla Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms. Because you could not fly there an if you could, you could have seen where they did all this corner cutting with foamy 2d stage sets at every wall.
    Apart from Cata and a few areas in other expansions the zones were designed to be tackled from the ground because it was highly likely the player would not have access to flight whilst they were leveling.

Also I'm not entirely sure the "stage illusion" scenery used for parts of Vanilla can be classed as corner-cutting. Places like Stormwind were built that way to save system resources on the client PC, it probably took more effort to design a building, cut parts away and test the illusion from all possible angles than it would to just design a building

Strangely we have had many droughts and minor- major changes in WoWs expansions as well we all had flight all the time. Where have been the disastrous numbers at the start of BC? Remember... the bad bad bad expansion that introduced flight which "soooo many hated". Or Wrath of the Lichking? If flight would have been soooo bad and hated like some people here lie about.... erm think why didn't it went down hill? ,
    What are you blathering about? Who says WotLK and TBC were "bad bad bad" or "soooo" hated? Flight still had a sense of novelty in those expansions, and as I was raiding or hammering heroics in those expansions the "cruise-and-snooze" approach to world content was a welcome change of pace. It was only in Cata and MoP that the tedium of fly-and-sigh gameplay kicked in. I'm sure someone recently mentioned that times change.

It is a strange coincidence that it only happen in that very expansion where they said they want to cut out flight. And although they say "the numbers are insane" i don't see any indications of that being a real number like insane. How many people are subbed right now? Insane like Cata, MoP or even WoD-release? Or are those numbers just insane because before Legion the count dropped to 1 mio. and went up by 3 mio. (so effectively quadrupled the cout)? We don't know, and if Blizzard doesn't want to share we never will. But the indicators point more to the last example.
    Just... what? What's a coincidence, what is insane? What are you referring to here?

Yes, and if you stick to those ancient and old fashioned game mechanics you'll lose players left and right. On the other had: if most of your players would rather quit than to deal with your mechanics, it should tell you how bad people find your mechanics and how unfun they really are. But thinking of new, fun and exciting ways would be work ;-)
    Even at WoW's peak popularity something like 90% of the people who tried the game had quit, does that mean the entire concept of WoW is bad and unfun?

Yes. Same goes for "flying is bad for the game". That is also just pretending your (unpopular) opinion as a fact, because it is also well documented.
    I'm quite happy with my opinions being opinions, I'm glad that Blizzard agree with me on this and are making content the way I like it, but that doesn't mean I'm objectively correct.

Except the world stops being relevant the moment I hit level cap. As has already been pointed out, these are areas we've already cleared, and the rewards for traveling through them are trivial, at best. 10-30AP is a joke. Trash mobs which are not part of any quest, and can be killed 10 at a time with level-cap gear are not dangerous. The exploring has already been done.

So what part of traveling through the world becomes important, at that stage of the game? This is just the "SAVAGE" argument again, and we all know how that went. This is just more evidence that Blizzard needs to make the game world interesting, dynamic, and USE flying instead of ignoring it. Or at the very least, stop beating us over the head with their worthless 'content' and let us fly to the stuff we actually want to do.