Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itychy View Post
    Oh come on this is just as bad as mining has had it since launch. 2-5 ores per node. 6-8 if we get a lucky seam, and that's factoring in the fact that our sources require alot more travel time.

The crying is ridiculous.
    And LW recipes require between 100-150 leathers per item on rank 2. Less if they also need felhide and bloods.

I'm glad I have 5k stocked

I was averaging twelve hides/scales a skin, now I am averaging about five a skin - more than a 50% nerf.

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    And LW recipes require between 100-150 leathers per item on rank 2. Less if they also need felhide and bloods.
    Should see the lovely return on rare gems from prospecting and the amount of gems needed to craft items. JC/BS have it far worse than LW even after the nerf.

10+ Year Old Account
    Problem is and was this:

- Lots of leather drops

which leads to

- Leatherworkers can craft and obliterate items very cheaply and in large amounts, leading to Obliterum having a crafting cost of about 2k

which then leads to

- so now it's both cheap and easy to get crafted gear and upgrade it to 850, so many more people can do this than Blizz had counted on

So now you get

- People now have a bunch of idealy itemized 850 gear, instead of maybe a few pieces of Mythic dungeon gear with random stats and maybe 1 crafted piece

What THAT leads to is

- Mythic dungeon gear is suddenly not that interesting any more, raid encounter gear checks become trivial and teams progress through the raid much faster, while being less challenged and Mythic+ dungeons get cleared at a far higher level than Blizz anticipated or designed around leading to even MORE gear getting funneled into the system.

So, just by having too high leather drop rates the whole system was getting thrown out of whack, having far reaching and very nasty and unwanted consequences.

I was making gold hand over fist with the drop rates of leather and the Obliterum shuffle, but depsite that I'm VERY glad Blizz took action cause this was going to lead to very very bad things if left unchecked.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
    About time - the proliferation of easy to farm leather was completely breaking the obliterum market. Farming leather to craft into cheap rank3 bracers, to them harvest for obliterum was stupidly easy/fast (15+ Obliterum per hour). Compared to mining and tailoring, leather was simply too easy to come by due to farmable mobs.

This change still leaves leather as the easily farmed option for making obliterum, but not as completely braindead as it was previously.

For comparison, while levelling my Skinner/LW I had ~ 1800 Stormscales and ~2200 Leather in my bags when I hit 110, compared to ~400 of assorted ores on my Mining/BS when he hit 110.

There was simply no way Bliz could leave it as it was - and nerfing down to 1-4 per skin is STILL a super easy farm compared to tracking down herb or mining nodes.
    This 100% .. Skinner/Lw have been completly ridiculous compared to mining/jc as an example.

- - - Updated - - -

For 1 JC item with 815 ilvl you need insane luck or hundreds upon hundreds of ore.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Problem is and was this:

- Lots of leather drops

which leads to

- Leatherworkers can craft and obliterate items very cheaply and in large amounts, leading to Obliterum having a crafting cost of about 2k

which then leads to

- so now it's both cheap and easy to get crafted gear and upgrade it to 850, so many more people can do this than Blizz had counted on

So now you get

- People now have a bunch of idealy itemized 850 gear, instead of maybe a few pieces of Mythic dungeon gear with random stats and maybe 1 crafted piece

What THAT leads to is

- Mythic dungeon gear is suddenly not that interesting any more, raid encounter gear checks become trivial and teams progress through the raid much faster, while being less challenged and Mythic+ dungeons get cleared at a far higher level than Blizz anticipated or designed around leading to even MORE gear getting funneled into the system.

So, just by having too high leather drop rates the whole system was getting thrown out of whack, having far reaching and very nasty and unwanted consequences.

I was making gold hand over fist with the drop rates of leather and the Obliterum shuffle, but depsite that I'm VERY glad Blizz took action cause this was going to lead to very very bad things if left unchecked.
    The amount of obliterum you can obtain is only marginally effected. They seem to have done nothing to the drop rate of Blood of Sargeras which you use to create rank 3 dreadleather belts at 12 leather 2 bloods each. Before you could farm 4000 leather and ~60 bloods an hour. Thats 30 belts and ~25 gloves at 150 leather each. So instead of making 10 to 12 oblit you can make 6. Still insane flooding of Oblit into the economy. Honestly I think they are in a bind here because of the nature of skinning/LW compared to other gatherer/crafting profs. They would have to severely nerf the drop rate of bloods or increase the mats required to craft most of the dreadleather patterns to fix this which would make people even more mad.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Problem is and was this:

- Lots of leather drops

which leads to

which then leads to

So now you get

What THAT leads to is

It is a real shame that this wasn't fixed in beta. Now you'll have some of the lucky people that realize how great LW was for making Oblit running around in full 850s and stocked up oblit or able to flip it for nice profit. Yeah 850 isn't the end all be all of gear but it is a nice little advantage for some people at this point in the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaolin View Post
    They would have to severely nerf the drop rate of bloods or increase the mats required to craft most of the dreadleather patterns to fix this which would make people even more mad.
    Then make them mad and have LW on par with the other tradeskills for how much Oblit/gear it can produce in a given window of time. Right now it is STILL out of whack.

Haha wow, this reset's nerfs have been so significant it made me re-evaluate my entire opinion of Legion. What the fuck is up with this shit, why can't they tweak stuff like normal people instead of hammerpunching everything into the ground?
    Because it was actually a super ridiculous fact that skinners/Leatherworkers were Obliterum gods?

All of them were in 850 gear in a day and then selling Obliterum like crazy making the market drop very fast.

In a way this helps leather and skins be worth more.

The main reason majority of early-birds who don't play the AH cry because we decimated our stockpile for cheap due to LW items selling for dirt cheap undercutting the market, this something that should never have made it out of beta. The fix should have arrived in the form of cutting the collection rate in half and increasing the cost for items by a 25% to 50% rather than fully crippling us with the market being inflated in top-population servers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeh View Post
    It's kind of hard to wrap your head around the fact Blizzard would have ranks mean so little.
    It's not so hard if acquiring those ranks isn't really done through a meaningfully hard experience. You just skin more, do a quest that requires you to skin x&y, so eventually everyone will get to rank 3 by simply doing Skinning, which will get them a sizable amount of skins anyway.

The ranks are a meaningless concept for Gathering professions and simply a bonus to players who actually do those meaningless quests. It's nothing to complain about, you get double the amount of skins compared to someone who didn't care. That's nothing to scoff at.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Murderdoll View Post
    As is tradition with Blizzard. Small changes end up being gigantic leaps.

Its a shitty change and they went too far. Rank 3 should be getting around 7-8 similar to gathering.

Couple it with the fact you cant always skin due to other people tagging/not looting etc the resource cost behind LWing has now made skinning quite a grind.

Hope everyone saved their leather to sell.
    Why? If your 4 leather is now worth the same as 8 due to the economy adjusting to the new supply, what's the problem about? You're not complaining about crafting, you're clearly complaining about selling leather, so what exactly is your point except to bitch and moan about a change?

The economy will settle and then you'll be proven wrong. It won't take 4 weeks for that to happen either. So calm down son, take a deep breath, it'll be just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mentaldemise View Post
    Well i hope they revert it to something more appropriate, nerfing it by 80% is retarded.
    How so? If your aim is selling leather, how is selling 100 at 2000g any different from selling 20 at 2000g? Especially when the leather requirements for crafting haven't really changed.

You have less leather flooding the market for a hardly changed demand. If anything, this change is a good one for avid leather farmers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    In a way this helps leather and skins be worth more.
    Not even "in a way". It will directly increase the value of leathers without altering demand, provided they do not touch Leatherworking to overcompensate. If anything, they even changed it so that the 815 crafted items now require more leather instead of Blood of Sargeras.

Anyone moaning about this needs to stop for a second and think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mentaldemise View Post
    By how much, this kind of makes my rank 3 skinning absolutely useless if i'm only getting 3 skins per mob.
    No it doesn't make it useless. Quit acting like a drama queen because you can't farm up unintendedly large quantities of leather.

Also, by "stealth nerf" you mean in the patch notes?

Its still more rewarding than mining or herbing by orders of magnitude.

tl;dr stop crying.

Quote Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
    so glad i sold off like 3k leather 2 days ago /s
    why glad? they worth more now than what you sold them for 2 days ago

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    No it doesn't make it useless. Quit acting like a drama queen because you can't farm up unintendedly large quantities of leather.

Also, by "stealth nerf" you mean in the patch notes?

Its still more rewarding than mining or herbing by orders of magnitude.

tl;dr stop crying.
    Your post makes no sense. If you gain the same amount of leather with rank 3 skinning as you get with rank 1 skinning it does make rank 3 useless.

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post

Why? If your 4 leather is now worth the same as 8 due to the economy adjusting to the new supply, what's the problem about? You're not complaining about crafting, you're clearly complaining about selling leather, so what exactly is your point except to bitch and moan about a change?

The economy will settle and then you'll be proven wrong. It won't take 4 weeks for that to happen either. So calm down son, take a deep breath, it'll be just fine.
    Actually, I am a crafter.

Secondly, I think youre the one getting a little to worked up. Telling everyone to calm down, you sound like a jackass.

Bitching and moaning? I said I think they went a little too far. They went from it being more rewarding than other gathering profs to being worse. Its not bitching and moaning its a valid point. Frankly, this benefited me because I had a heap of leather saved up and will now either sell it for more or craft gear which then sells for more.

The economy will settle? Of course it will settle, everything is crazy right now. Thats not proof of anything but "when an expansion hits everyone goes nuts".

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmy View Post
    why glad? they worth more now than what you sold them for 2 days ago
    /s means they are saying it with sarcasm.

And what the smithing stuff doesn't require 165 ore for the bracer pattern? Or even better, JC doesn't require literally thousands of prospected ore to make 1 piece due to the absolute shit state of prospecting for rare gems? Skinning/LWing is still by far one of the most profitable professions.

Yeah, this nerf was overdue, leather was sick the first days, don't know what to do with it all.